Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

military occupation of a Canadian City

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited July 2010 in Buddhism Today
The G 20 meetings are currently going here in Toronto. The core of the city has been transformed into a double ringed fortress, part of a security system costing a billion dollars (not a typo). Police have been given the power to arrest anyone they ask for ID who does not comply. Anyone who comes within 25 feet of the outer perimeter is subject to questioning and arrest at police discretion. There has been a temporary prison facility set up in some large film studio buildings on the east side. People who's homes are within the security zone must carry a special photo passport to enter and leave. If they do not carry it they will be arrested.
It is an astounding display of state power.

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited June 2010
    They just don't want a repeat of this debacle. <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TdnAaQ0n5-8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TdnAaQ0n5-8&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited June 2010
    While I was searching for that, I found this. Funny!
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Gotta love the runners.
  • edited June 2010
    nice
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Now "black bloc" boneheads have broken away from peaceful labour demontrations to burn police cars and smash windows. The transit system in the core is in lockdown, and downtown is a mess. This is all pointless.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    yeah,

nwo conspiracy theorists kids with no idea of how the world function and no even rudimentary knowledge of basic economics or politic...

mainly want to break things to show how thought they are and play "catch me if you can" with the police.

the others are protesting against globalization, mainly university with big hearts but no education.
    if you ask them
    q: "why is globalization bad?"
    a: "think about Nike having their shoes made by kids! This is bad!"
    q: "so you think these countries would be better off if you take all of the jobs off? and live in complete poverty without even the prospect of better financial situation in the future?"
    a: "well no but these child labour is terrible."
    q: "don't you think you should protest not agaisnt globalization but for the g20 to put pressure on those countries to improve labour laws and prevent child labour instead?"
    a: "yeah, i think we should go back home and write something else on our signs."
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    btw so far it is absolutely nothing compared to the G20 in Quebec a few years ago!

I was walking downtown earlier and people just walking around, shopping, doing bycicle... life as usual.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    The G 20 meetings are currently going here in Toronto. The core of the city has been transformed into a double ringed fortress, part of a security system costing a billion dollars (not a typo). Police have been given the power to arrest anyone they ask for ID who does not comply. Anyone who comes within 25 feet of the outer perimeter is subject to questioning and arrest at police discretion. There has been a temporary prison facility set up in some large film studio buildings on the east side. People who's homes are within the security zone must carry a special photo passport to enter and leave. If they do not carry it they will be arrested.
    It is an astounding display of state power.

I suppose the store owners whose windows were broken are miffed that the police didn't stop it. And those whose windows were untouched are grateful the police intervened.

It's never black or white. And it's always damned if you do/damned if you don't.

At least no world leaders were assassinated (although I doubt there was an real danger of that ... still, you can't take chances, can you?)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy an island somewhere and have it there? Oh yeah, no prostitutes there!

Palzang