Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wrong Livelihood and the "Lowly Arts"

edited July 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I was reading through the Buddha's list of the lowly arts that one should abstain from such as palm reading, astrology, prophesy, ritual sacrifice, God-worship, consulting mediums, spells, exorcism, etc. which are all good advice, but at the end he says that medicine is a lowly art and being a doctor is wrong livelihood.

Can anyone explain what he means and why he says this is a lowly art?
BudDha wrote:
Kevaddha Sutta: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.11.0.than.html

"Whereas some priests and contemplatives, living off food given in faith, maintain themselves by wrong livelihood, by such lowly arts as:
reading marks on the limbs [e.g., palmistry];
reading omens and signs;
interpreting celestial events [falling stars, comets];
interpreting dreams;
reading marks on the body [e.g., phrenology];
reading marks on cloth gnawed by mice;
offering fire oblations, oblations from a ladle, oblations of husks, rice powder, rice grains, ghee, and oil;
offering oblations from the mouth;
offering blood-sacrifices;
making predictions based on the fingertips;
geomancy;
laying demons in a cemetery;
placing spells on spirits;
reciting house-protection charms;
snake charming, poison-lore, scorpion-lore, rat-lore, bird-lore, crow-lore;
fortune-telling based on visions;
giving protective charms;
interpreting the calls of birds and animals —
he abstains from wrong livelihood, from lowly arts such as these.

"Whereas some priests and contemplatives, living off food given in faith, maintain themselves by wrong livelihood, by such lowly arts as forecasting:
there will be a lunar eclipse;
there will be a solar eclipse;
there will be an occultation of an asterism;
the sun and moon will go their normal courses;
the sun and moon will go astray;
the asterisms will go their normal courses;
the asterisms will go astray;
there will be a meteor shower;
there will be a darkening of the sky;
there will be an earthquake;
there will be thunder coming from a clear sky;
there will be a rising, a setting, a darkening, a brightening of the sun, moon, and asterisms;
such will be the result of the lunar eclipse... the rising, setting, darkening, brightening of the sun, moon, and asterisms —

"Whereas some priests and contemplatives, living off food given in faith, maintain themselves by wrong livelihood, by such lowly arts as:
calculating auspicious dates for marriages, betrothals, divorces; for collecting debts or making investments and loans; for being attractive or unattractive; curing women who have undergone miscarriages or abortions;
reciting spells to bind a man's tongue, to paralyze his jaws, to make him lose control over his hands, or to bring on deafness;
getting oracular answers to questions addressed to a mirror, to a young girl, or to a spirit medium;
worshipping the sun, worshipping the Great Brahma [God], bringing forth flames from the mouth, invoking the goddess of luck —

promising gifts to devas in return for favors; fulfilling such promises;
demonology;
teaching house-protection spells;
inducing virility and impotence;
consecrating sites for construction;
giving ceremonial mouthwashes and ceremonial bathing;
offering sacrificial fires;
preparing emetics, purgatives, expectorants, diuretics, headache cures;
preparing ear-oil, eye-drops, oil for treatment through the nose, collyrium, and counter-medicines; curing cataracts, practicing surgery, practicing as a children's doctor, administering medicines and treatments to cure their after-effects —
he abstains from wrong livelihood, from lowly arts such as these. This, too, is part of his virtue.

Comments

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    As I understand it, being a medical professional is wrong livelihood for monks because if they gained a reputation for being doctors then people would visit them just for treatment of their physical ailments while their minds would remain sick due to a lack of Dhamma medicine. Being a doctor is not wrong livelihood for lay practitioners because they aren't expected to be Dhamma teachers.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than myself will correct me if I am wrong about this.
  • edited June 2010
    I was reading through the Buddha's list of the lowly arts that one should abstain from such as palm reading, astrology, prophesy, ritual sacrifice, God-worship, consulting mediums, spells, exorcism, etc. which are all good advice, but at the end he says that medicine is a lowly art and being a doctor is wrong livelihood.

Can anyone explain what he means and why he says this is a lowly art?

From what I know, even in the time of Leonardo da Vinci, ~late 1400s early 1500s--years after the life of Buddha, when this list was probably written--medicine was about the equivalent of alchemy... and not so much science as mysticism, snake-oil and magic powders and what not. I am sure there was legitimate medical knowledge during the lifetime of the Buddha, but the large bulk of it was likely nonsense, and recognizable as such apparently.

I don't want to derive a super radical interpretation of what the Buddha meant by with medicine being a lowly art, but I'm pretty confident that the one above is a reasonable modern interpretation.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Also, another possible reason which comes to mind is that such things could be a distraction to their practice.
  • edited June 2010
    My take is that I ignore this particular advice in this sutta.

Since medicine, astronomy, and mathematics are all useful and certainly not harmful, I don't see any reason why one should abstain from it. Neither is it fair to say that these are low arts, quite on the contrary, they are all highly developed (don't underestimate the traditional healing arts of previous centuries). Here in Thailand, medicine has been practiced by monks in the past, since there was no government health care until the 19th century.

Who said the suttas are infallible? - This is one of very few exceptions, however, where nonsense has crept in, perhaps due to the incomplete understanding of the authors/translators.

The large bulk of the sutta, dealing with various supranormal powers, remains unaffected. The section on virtue is probably intended to discourage monks and practitioners from turning their special gifts into a business.

Cheers, Thomas
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited June 2010

Since medicine, astronomy, and mathematics are all useful and certainly not harmful, I don't see any reason why one should abstain from it. Neither is it fair to say that these are low arts, quite on the contrary, they are all highly developed (don't underestimate the traditional healing arts of previous centuries). Here in Thailand, medicine has been practiced by monks in the past, since there was no government health care until the 19th century.

Who said the suttas are infallible? - This is one of very few exceptions, however, where nonsense has crept in, perhaps due to the incomplete understanding of the authors/translators.

The large bulk of the sutta, dealing with various supranormal powers, remains unaffected. The section on virtue is probably intended to discourage monks and practitioners from turning their special gifts into a business.

Cheers, Thomas

It is from Digha Nikaya or Long Discourses. There is some controversy that the Digha is a later addition and some of the contents had been altered. That is why they became so long winded unlike the Majhimma or Middle Length Discourses. Personally I do not pay too much attention to the Digha.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    It looks to be referring to divination. Modern meteorology is probably kosher as it doesn't involve psychic powers.

What's with pickin and choosin of Suttas? "No no..I choose to ignore this one, it doesnt fit my thing".

If you guys are going to brandish the Sutta's as the authority, then at least pound this peg in somewhere.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    What I see is that there is a history of astrologers, profits and so on who get lost in their own interpretations. Their beliefs become a prejudice which veil their minds from truth.

I don't think it means we need to repel the observations of any of those professions, but first and foremost we should clearly and directly observe the world that is before our eyes. If we veil our own experience, we miss out on much of what is present, as we attempt to fit what we see into what we already think we know. Perhaps the professions mentioned in the sutta were infamous for this behavior, in the time of Buddha (and some now, of course).
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited June 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    It is from Digha Nikaya or Long Discourses. There is some controversy that the Digha is a later addition and some of the contents had been altered.
    The Digha is probably one of the more reliable Nikayas. It is very close in content and doctrine to the Dharmagupta and Sarvastivada Dirgha Agamas. The predecessors of the Theravadins and the other two groups split from each other, at the latest, one hundred years after the Buddha died. The similarity of the Digha and the two Dirghas indicates that they evolved from a common ancestor that existed prior to the split, and neither the Pali or Sanskrit texts have changed much since.

If I was going to cast doubt on a Nikaya, it would be the Anguttara. About two thirds of the material in either the Dharmagupta and Theravada versions is not found in the other, which suggests that it was added some time after the split.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2010
    I see this as the Buddha discouraging his monastics from 'making a living' utilizing superstitions that were popular at the time (e.g., divination, exorcism, fortune telling, etc.) and pawning off snake-oil cures instead of practicing and teaching Dhamma.
  • edited June 2010

Cheers, Thomas

Buddha said Astrology is a lowly art, not Astronomy. Astrology is generally superstitious and involves determining peoples personalities based on the movement of planets.

I also don't recall him speaking against mathematics unless I missed something .

edited June 2010
    In Europe, up until the modern age, medicine was often not very effective and physicians often did more harm than good. Surgery was performed by barbers, who were almost completely ignorant about what they were doing. This is speculation, but it's possible that the different forms of medicine and medical treatment mentioned in the quote were recognized forms of quackery.
  • edited June 2010
    Buddha said Astrology is a lowly art, not Astronomy.

The text mentions prediction of solar/lunar eclipses and asterisms, which belong to the field of astronomy. I also remember mathematics being among the lowly arts, although not in this translation -and perhaps- not in thjs sutta. Can't find a reference right now.

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited June 2010
    The text mentions prediction of solar/lunar eclipses and asterisms, which belong to the field of astronomy. I also remember mathematics being among the lowly arts, although not in this translation -and perhaps- not in thjs sutta. Can't find a reference right now.

Cheers, Thomas

Sorry about that, i see what you're saying.

But he was saying that you shouldnt forecast celestial events, which seems to be in a sense, a form of prophesizing.

Astronomy isn't necessarily involve forcasting celestial events.

• edited June 2010
    I think the purpose of Buddhas discourse is that people shouldnt claim to know things they can't know or perform. There werent the tools we have now, back then, but now we have the technology to make knowledge claims they couldnt make back then with their limited tools.
    edited June 2010
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    The Digha is probably one of the more reliable Nikayas. It is very close in content and doctrine to the Dharmagupta and Sarvastivada Dirgha Agamas. The predecessors of the Theravadins and the other two groups split from each other, at the latest, one hundred years after the Buddha died. The similarity of the Digha and the two Dirghas indicates that they evolved from a common ancestor that existed prior to the split, and neither the Pali or Sanskrit texts have changed much since.

If I was going to cast doubt on a Nikaya, it would be the Anguttara. About two thirds of the material in either the Dharmagupta and Theravada versions is not found in the other, which suggests that it was added some time after the split.

I agree there is a common ancestry between the Pali Canon and the Agamas which points to a common source before the split.

However the Digha discourses is very long and appears imo to be a patchwork stitched together and also is largely directed towards lay Buddhists. Unlike the Majhimma which is mainly for monastics and often begins with the word "Monks".

I cannot envisage the Buddha describing a profession whose reason for being is the relieve of human suffering as "lowly".
  • edited June 2010
    I agree there is a common ancestry between the Pali Canon and the Agamas which points to a common source before the split.

However the Digha discourses is very long and appears imo to be a patchwork stitched together and also is largely directed towards lay Buddhists. Unlike the Majhimma which is mainly for monastics and often begins with the word "Monks".

I cannot envisage the Buddha describing a profession whose reason for being is the relieve of human suffering as "lowly".

As someone mentioned earlier, they probably didn't have reliable medical practices. Buddha mentioned ear oil and eye drops as lowly, and I know I wouldn't put anything from 2,000 years ago being squirted into my eye.

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    This is just speculation on my part...but perhaps medicine, even if it is highly effective, is a "lowly art" because it can only help a person in a very limited sense - i.e. by healing their physical condition. But the Dhamma can "heal" them forever. Therefore, imo, teaching a sick person Dhamma is of far greater value in the long term than healing them. But of course, there is no reason why it has to be either or.

I am not saying medicine is a waste of time, not at all, I am just saying that doctors are experts at medicine and monks are (or are in training to be) experts at Dhamma. So perhaps it is better for everyone if doctors are doctors and monks are monks. A jack of all trades is a master of none.
    edited June 2010
    I am not saying medicine is a waste of time, not at all, I am just saying that doctors are experts at medicine and monks are (or are in training to be) experts at Dhamma. So perhaps it is better for everyone if doctors are doctors and monks are monks. A jack of all trades is a master of none.

Each has its place. One relieves physical and sometimes mental suffering. The other cures spiritual disease. In fact the Buddha exhorted his monks to look after each other when they are ill. As I see it both have noble and selfless intentions.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    The DN :skeptical
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010

Cheers, Thomas
    We would recoginze the "astronomy" and "mathematics" from the Buddhas time as astrology and numerology dont you think?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    I see this as the Buddha discouraging his monastics from 'making a living' utilizing superstitions that were popular at the time (e.g., divination, exorcism, fortune telling, etc.) and pawning off snake-oil cures instead of practicing and teaching Dhamma.

Also, in his translation to DN 1 (where this passage is also found) Bhikkhu Bodhi notes that, "It is the practice of medicine for gain that is here condemned."
    edited June 2010
    However the Digha discourses is very long and appears imo to be a patchwork stitched together and also is largely directed towards lay Buddhists.
    That doesn't support the claim that the Digha is a later composition. Buddhism was an expanding religion and was getting new adherents among the laity right from the beginning. It would have needed texts addressed to lay people that addressed a number of different topics.

The similarity between the Digha and the Dirgha is, in comparison with other ways of dating the texts, a relatively reliable indicator of their age and the amount of editing and additions they experienced. Speculation based on their intended audience and lack of thematic unity is less reliable, and can be used to support a number of different claims.
  • edited June 2010
    The OP was about the practice of medicine as one of the "lowly arts". I say it doesn't pass the Buddha's "assaying of gold test", at least not in modern times. I've been a nurse for 30 years- I could have been a lawyer, speaking of "lowly arts". Whatever the Canon says, I don't think that particular thing is applicable to modern times. I think one might even allow someone who has taken ordination to work in a medical field in modern times and still have it be "right livelihood". I mean, are we going to deny sick and suffering people because they don't necessarily want to hear the Dharma? I don't think so.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    That doesn't support the claim that the Digha is a later composition. Buddhism was an expanding religion and was getting new adherents among the laity right from the beginning. It would have needed texts addressed to lay people that addressed a number of different topics.

There are some suttas in the DN which do not tally with suttas in the other nikayas. The differences are overwhelming. For example, the "maha nidhana" sutta.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    In fact I feel that the SN is more lay oriented as it has a lot of teachings related to morality, sila, its suttas are short and suited for light reading
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited July 2010
    In Europe, up until the modern age, medicine was often not very effective and physicians often did more harm than good. Surgery was performed by barbers, who were almost completely ignorant about what they were doing.

Sadly, in America, this is all still largely true in the case of many physicians (only substitute "butcher" for "barber"). Including one in particular that I work with. But we can't fire him - it would ruin his reputation. Can you say "circular logic"?

Sigh...

Mtns
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited July 2010
    It's important to view the suttas in historical context. In India at the time, the practice of medicine was most likely similar to what we today know as ayurveda. Ayurveda involves arcane metaphysical explanations for physical ailments.

For me, personally, modern medicine informs my understanding of Buddhist concepts, like anatta.
  • Ficus_religiosaFicus_religiosa Veteran
    edited July 2010
    SherabDorje
    I could have been a lawyer, speaking of "lowly arts".

How is being a lawyer a lowly art? You counsel people and help them with their legal issues - a thing they could not hope to do on their own. A lawyer (or "advocate" as it's called in my language "one who speaks for another") is just a mediator between parts in a conflict, making sure that everyone gets heard and treated equally.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited July 2010
    SherabDorje

How is being a lawyer a lowly art? You counsel people and help them with their legal issues - a thing they could not hope to do on their own. A lawyer (or "advocate" as it's called in my language "one who speaks for another") is just a mediator between parts in a conflict, making sure that everyone gets heard and treated equally.

I believe Sherab's reply is meant to be humourous (I found it funny).

I find it interesting that psychic and clairvoyance got a condescending comment earlier from someone (can't remember who off the top of my head) when I have read in Lama Surya Das' book "Awaken The Buddha Within" that quite a few monks in Tibet (and India) are consulted by lay people locally for advice on events via divination (which Surya Das found fascinating in a way because he's an atheist). I also read in a book written by HH Dalai Lama that the Buddha taught it's ok to BE psychic/clairvoyant but a person who is should not advertise it as this will take away from Dharma study (I need to find the name of this book for sources)

Respectfully,
    Raven