Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

getting older

edited August 2010 in Buddhism Today
Do you like getting older? I'm 22 year old... and I feel bad when some kid calls me bro. I'm not going to get young and I miss age 17 and I really don't want to get older. I see kids of high school and feel really sad.. I lost that time and an not going to get it back ever again. I sometimes think in 10 years I'd be 32 and kids would call me uncle............

Am I the only one who thinks stuff like that?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    That sounds scary.
    Your lovely mind never aged.
    Your body need to grow "old" or else you may not enjoy a life time partner. Another problem you may face is that you may be approached for alot of experiments that will make your mind old even faster :)
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I miss age 17 and I really don't want to get older. I see kids of high school and feel really sad.. I lost that time and an not going to get it back ever again.

What were the things you did at 17 that you miss?

What do you miss in high school?

Why do you say the time is lost?
  • edited July 2010
    This IS a Buddhist board. :lol: You know, suffering is a intricate part of life/existence....sickness, OLD AGE, death....
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I enjoy the wisdom that comes with age. I also greatly enjoy my career and family. I have lost some things by getting older but I have also gained some things. It is all part of impermanence.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I'm 47. The thing is, I'm the same guy I was at 4, or 14, or 24.
    Now I've grown emotionally and I agree whole heartedly with the poster who said he likes the wisdom gained with age. Honestly in an emotional and spiritual way the 40's has been my favorite decade.
    Physically....not so much. But I still feel essentially the same as I always did.
    I occasionaly see a picture or video of myself, or unexpectedly see myself in a mirror and I am always shocked at how old I am!

I hold a great deal of regret about my teen years because I was ridiculously shy and had awful self esteem. As a result I spent most of it alone and very stoned.
    I didn't have girlfriends, or much of a social life at all. Now as a music teacher I spend a huge amount of my time with teens, and I admit I am very jealous of the life they have.
    However, regret and jealousy are entirely unproductive and negative emotions, and ones' I am trying hard to over come.
    Still, I have 5 rock band (not the game...real music played on real instruments) classes, and I play with the students in all of them. Two of them have a great friendship with all members including me, and while playing and working with them I honestly forget that they are all 14-18, and I"m nearly 50. Then I'll see the dreaded video or picture of us performing together and again the shock of how much older I am hits me.

None the less, I enjoy the bands, they seem to not find me to be a pain in the ass old guy and treat me like a friend, so physicality aside, (and of course for stage of life, moral and legal reasons there are limits to the relationships I have with these kids compared the relationships they have with each other) in away I still get to be a teenager.
    Gotta be honest though...I hear the stories of the party's and such and I don't feel jealous...I feel thankful I'm too old for that stuff!! :lol:

So my advice is to not entertain these sorts of feelings too much. You may be able to have more adult versions of the sorts of fun and relationships you had in high school if you approach it right. Clinging to the past cuts you off from the present moment, and can even chase away a happy future.
    You might benefit from some present moment mindfulness.
    Embrace the now! it's all you actually have!
  • edited July 2010
    Disney wrote: »
    That sounds scary.
    Your lovely mind never aged.
    Your body need to grow "old" or else you may not enjoy a life time partner. Another problem you may face is that you may be approached for alot of experiments that will make your mind old even faster :)

but I still look like a kid, behave like kid and feel like a kid. when people look at me... they also think my age is 17-18. even younger girls don't consider me above their age... but still as I said before... i know deep down that I'm older than them and am growing older every second, every hour, every day. I just don't want to grow older... don't want things to change. but I know it is not possible and that makes me sad. what should I do?
  • edited July 2010
    What were the things you did at 17 that you miss?

What do you miss in high school?

Why do you say the time is lost?

because I was more free back then... interacting with friends in high school.. hanging out with friends. I had no tension. no worry about the future. I had a lot of free time to do anything I liked.... these days I'm very busy and my friends are also busy and we don't even get time to talk to each other.
  • edited July 2010
    dennis60 wrote: »
    This IS a Buddhist board. :lol: You know, suffering is a intricate part of life/existence....sickness, OLD AGE, death....

can you really expect a teenager to come in terms with suffering, old age and death???
    and it's not my death I'm afraid of.... As I grow older so will the once I love and they will die.... that hurts me.... I can't even bear to think about it.
  • edited July 2010
    skullchin wrote: »
    I enjoy the wisdom that comes with age. I also greatly enjoy my career and family. I have lost some things by getting older but I have also gained some things. It is all part of impermanence.

yes but don't you miss your teenage days? don't you reflect back and sigh thinking about those good old days? when you were a teenager hanging out with your friends or girlfriend.... the new "everything is awesome" feeling when you were in love?
  • edited July 2010
    Shutoku wrote: »
    I'm 47. The thing is, I'm the same guy I was at 4, or 14, or 24.
    Now I've grown emotionally and I agree whole heartedly with the poster who said he likes the wisdom gained with age. Honestly in an emotional and spiritual way the 40's has been my favorite decade.
    Physically....not so much. But I still feel essentially the same as I always did.
    I occasionaly see a picture or video of myself, or unexpectedly see myself in a mirror and I am always shocked at how old I am!

I hold a great deal of regret about my teen years because I was ridiculously shy and had awful self esteem. As a result I spent most of it alone and very stoned.
    I didn't have girlfriends, or much of a social life at all. Now as a music teacher I spend a huge amount of my time with teens, and I admit I am very jealous of the life they have.
    However, regret and jealousy are entirely unproductive and negative emotions, and ones' I am trying hard to over come.
    Still, I have 5 rock band (not the game...real music played on real instruments) classes, and I play with the students in all of them. Two of them have a great friendship with all members including me, and while playing and working with them I honestly forget that they are all 14-18, and I"m nearly 50. Then I'll see the dreaded video or picture of us performing together and again the shock of how much older I am hits me.

None the less, I enjoy the bands, they seem to not find me to be a pain in the ass old guy and treat me like a friend, so physicality aside, (and of course for stage of life, moral and legal reasons there are limits to the relationships I have with these kids compared the relationships they have with each other) in away I still get to be a teenager.
    Gotta be honest though...I hear the stories of the party's and such and I don't feel jealous...I feel thankful I'm too old for that stuff!! :lol:

So my advice is to not entertain these sorts of feelings too much. You may be able to have more adult versions of the sorts of fun and relationships you had in high school if you approach it right. Clinging to the past cuts you off from the present moment, and can even chase away a happy future.
    You might benefit from some present moment mindfulness.
    Embrace the now! it's all you actually have!

thank you very much for sharing this.... you are lucky you have learned and accepted the fact and are happy with it. the physical thing also troubles me... I don't want to sound like an ass but I'm really proud of my looks and my body... and it hurts to think that i won't have it for very long.

and don't you miss your old friends or the place that you lived when you were a child?
    ... it's really great that you are doing something you are passionate about and you are enjoying it and you are getting chance to interact with teenager who are treating you as their equal. -- I have the fear that in a few year I would be sitting at a desk doing some boring job and I'd be all tired at the end of the day and won't have a life.
  • edited July 2010
    thank you everyone for your responses...thank you for taking your precious time to help me out. .. they are really helping me...I will hopefully feel better when we well reach at some kind of conclusion to this discussion.
  • edited July 2010
    If we all lived forever, there'd be no one new to experience "this", and no progress as we remained individually attached to ourselves. We are the leaves of the tree that fall to fertilize the earth, and are renewed as "like" leaves that are just a tad different than the old.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited July 2010
    because I was more free back then... interacting with friends in high school.. hanging out with friends. [...] these days I'm very busy and my friends are also busy and we don't even get time to talk to each other.

Regardless of age, you can still interact with your friends now, and also make new friends. Also, soon you can have your own place, if you don't have it yet, and then you will get a degree of freedom you probably didn't have in high school. If you could have more interaction with your friends do you think this dislike for getting older would change?

Can you think of ways that you could spend more time with your friends?
    I had no tension. no worry about the future. I had a lot of free time to do anything I liked....

What are the things you like to do?

What worries you about the future?
  • edited July 2010
    daveysmith wrote: »
    can you really expect a teenager to come in terms with suffering, old age and death???
    and it's not my death I'm afraid of.... As I grow older so will the once I love and they will die.... that hurts me.... I can't even bear to think about it.
    :lol:They have got themselves hurt before like fell down and feel that suffering. They were 16 years and now 17 years, one year old, death, yes, their mind of 16 has died and now living on the mind of 17 years old. It benefit them to understand this term of Buddhism on suffering, old age and death, so as to achieve life beyond death -the enlightenment:lol:
  • edited July 2010

My mother died when I was 13. It hurt, A LOT. But yes, i do expect a teenager to come to terms with suffering, old age and death. You exhibit "wrong view". Everything is impermanent. That is reality. If you want to continue to suffer about this and other things, hang on to your "wrong view". No excuses....time to grow up. :)
  • edited July 2010
    Actually, 22 years old is your peak time. If you're a woman and getting 35 years old, maybe that condition could make you scare about it.
    Because on that conditon, you'll discover the changing in your physical body little by little. on the other hand, you know exactly all the changing, getting older is just the sign of impermanance. The reality that we couldn't change except to accept it. Is it what Buddha taught us, right? the suffering is just our clinging to permanence. If we transform our way of thinking, then our fear will little by little diminish.
    That's what I'm also trying to work on it.

*sorry for any mistakes on my writing.
  • edited July 2010
    Am I the only one who thinks stuff like that?

You maybe the only one thinking this stuff at age 22! Live just starts at 22 and you talk about getting older...?

If I remember correctly my thoughts at 22 were quite different. They revolved around girlfriends, ex-girfriends, potential girlfriends, listening to music, playing music, recording music, flying to South America, exploring the Amazon river, tropical jungles, tropical beaches, more girlfriends, and oh yes, ... a bit of studying linear algebra or something similarly absurd at the uni.

Cheers, Thomas
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Do you like getting older? I'm 22 year old...

Getting older? At 22? HA HA HA HA HA says this 61 year old! Here I thought "getting older" was a thread right up my alley!:lol:

Look at it this way. Don't confuse your body with your essence. Only your BODY has youth or age. Your essence is ageless.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Regarding the fear of losing your looks...the cool thing about getting older is your priorities shift. ;)

Regarding teens coming to terms with suffering and death...
    There have been a few studies that show teens do not have fully developed brains (or bodies of course...it stands to reason really) and they do not fully understand things like consequences.
    Personally I think this was a useful thing for evolution. Typically young people needed the courage to hunt without the aid of guns, and to protect themselves, their families, their tribes. This requires a living in the now not worrying about things like "I might suffer and get hurt or killed"
    IMHO generally speaking most teens do have a sense of immortality, and that's ok. It naturally falls away as they get older...much like most people on their own will overcome vanity as they age.

Of course a lot of our obsession with youth is pure marketing. if we all looked forever young it would kill a ton of industries. But since we cannot stop the aging process, there is a line up of people wanting to sell us the impossible dream...and make no bones about it...you will NEVER get laid unless you use the right hair dye, go on the right diet, go on the right exercise program, get the right cosmetic surgery, learn to vomit like all the top models (twice the taste...half the calories!), drink the right beer, wear the right perfume, get bigger boobs and a longer dong, drive the right car.....the list goes on and on. of course what are they actually selling???? Dukka!!!! :lol:

Don't be sucked in. Age naturally and gracefully, and bask in the wisdom, maturity, inner security, and "spiritual" growth! They cannot bottle it and sell in to you, but the good news is they don't have to! The only price is .....living.
  • edited July 2010
    but I still look like a kid, behave like kid and feel like a kid. when people look at me... they also think my age is 17-18. even younger girls don't consider me above their age... but still as I said before... i know deep down that I'm older than them and am growing older every second, every hour, every day. I just don't want to grow older... don't want things to change. but I know it is not possible and that makes me sad. what should I do?
    It never changed a bit, look attentively and lovingly :) when you grace at the sky in yesteryear, and when you marvel at the sky in this year, it did not change a slightest. So, your original look never change:lol:
    the list goes on and on. of course what are they actually selling???? Dukka!!!! :lol:
    Dukka Dukka :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • edited July 2010
    I don't miss being a teenager. I have more power over the circumstances of my life now, and that's awesome. Yes, I still look a little young for my age, and yes this means that people (men in particular) don't take me as seriously. However, I'm sure when I'm older I'll appreciate being unusually well-preserved, so I try not to sweat it.

For me the best part of adulthood is being able to make the little decisions. Yesterday you know what I had for dinner? Sushi and cornbread. You know when I went to bed? When I was tired. You know where I went to work? Where I chose to. Sure, I have to pay bills and sure I have to do my own laundry, but that's nothing compared to the freedom I have now.

I didn't realize how much my expectations had changed based on this new freedom once I got to college until I visited my parents for vacation and realized nothing fit. I resented having to go to bed when they went to bed. I resented that somebody else decided when dinner was and that sometimes it was food I disliked or even had difficulty eating. I resented that my significant other could not be a part of my life to the degree I prefer while I was sleeping under my parents' roof. That's when I realized. I wasn't comfortable living like their kid anymore because I wasn't a kid anymore. I was a grown woman and I needed more room to breathe and make my own decisions.

My mother has enjoyed life more and more as she aged. As I myself tack on the years, I'm beginning to understand why.

So try not to worry, if you can. High school is carefree, but that's because the choices weren't yours. Not really. Freedom brings some anxiety about making the right choices, but even if you're not ready for that freedom yet... you'll probably grow into it and you'll know what to do with it eventually.
  • edited July 2010
    dennis60 wrote: »
    My mother died when I was 13. It hurt, A LOT. But yes, i do expect a teenager to come to terms with suffering, old age and death. You exhibit "wrong view". Everything is impermanent. That is reality. If you want to continue to suffer about this and other things, hang on to your "wrong view". No excuses....time to grow up. :)

yes. everything is impermanent and I have to come in terms with that... and I have to grow up but it is not a comfortable thing.
  • edited July 2010
    Tasslehoff wrote: »
    If we all lived forever, there'd be no one new to experience "this", and no progress as we remained individually attached to ourselves. We are the leaves of the tree that fall to fertilize the earth, and are renewed as "like" leaves that are just a tad different than the old.

very true but it's hard to accept it. and movie like Bicentennial man make the death thing more obvious.
  • edited July 2010
    Disney wrote: »
    :lol:They have got themselves hurt before like fell down and feel that suffering. They were 16 years and now 17 years, one year old, death, yes, their mind of 16 has died and now living on the mind of 17 years old. It benefit them to understand this term of Buddhism on suffering, old age and death, so as to achieve life beyond death -the enlightenment:lol:
    I'm sorry but it is really hard to understand what you are talking about. could you please make it a little simpler.
  • edited July 2010
    bonnie wrote: »
    Actually, 22 years old is your peak time. If you're a woman and getting 35 years old, maybe that condition could make you scare about it.
    Because on that conditon, you'll discover the changing in your physical body little by little. on the other hand, you know exactly all the changing, getting older is just the sign of impermanance. The reality that we couldn't change except to accept it. Is it what Buddha taught us, right? the suffering is just our clinging to permanence. If we transform our way of thinking, then our fear will little by little diminish.
    That's what I'm also trying to work on it.

*sorry for any mistakes on my writing.

OK. 22 is my peak time but I will leave it also become 23 next year and 32 in 10 years..... then I'll miss 22.
  • edited July 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    Getting older? At 22? HA HA HA HA HA says this 61 year old! Here I thought "getting older" was a thread right up my alley!:lol:

Look at it this way. Don't confuse your body with your essence. Only your BODY has youth or age. Your essence is ageless.

I guess that is true because my uncle who is 37 doesn't behave like a grown up... he is very friendly.
  • edited July 2010
    Shutoku wrote: »
    Regarding the fear of losing your looks...the cool thing about getting older is your priorities shift. ;)

Regarding teens coming to terms with suffering and death...
    There have been a few studies that show teens do not have fully developed brains (or bodies of course...it stands to reason really) and they do not fully understand things like consequences.
    Personally I think this was a useful thing for evolution. Typically young people needed the courage to hunt without the aid of guns, and to protect themselves, their families, their tribes. This requires a living in the now not worrying about things like "I might suffer and get hurt or killed"
    IMHO generally speaking most teens do have a sense of immortality, and that's ok. It naturally falls away as they get older...much like most people on their own will overcome vanity as they age.

Of course a lot of our obsession with youth is pure marketing. if we all looked forever young it would kill a ton of industries. But since we cannot stop the aging process, there is a line up of people wanting to sell us the impossible dream...and make no bones about it...you will NEVER get laid unless you use the right hair dye, go on the right diet, go on the right exercise program, get the right cosmetic surgery, learn to vomit like all the top models (twice the taste...half the calories!), drink the right beer, wear the right perfume, get bigger boobs and a longer dong, drive the right car.....the list goes on and on. of course what are they actually selling???? Dukka!!!! :lol:

Don't be sucked in. Age naturally and gracefully, and bask in the wisdom, maturity, inner security, and "spiritual" growth! They cannot bottle it and sell in to you, but the good news is they don't have to! The only price is .....living.

awesome reply. I cannot thank you enough.
  • edited July 2010
    Cobalt wrote: »
    I don't miss being a teenager. I have more power over the circumstances of my life now, and that's awesome. Yes, I still look a little young for my age, and yes this means that people (men in particular) don't take me as seriously. However, I'm sure when I'm older I'll appreciate being unusually well-preserved, so I try not to sweat it.

For me the best part of adulthood is being able to make the little decisions. Yesterday you know what I had for dinner? Sushi and cornbread. You know when I went to bed? When I was tired. You know where I went to work? Where I chose to. Sure, I have to pay bills and sure I have to do my own laundry, but that's nothing compared to the freedom I have now.

I didn't realize how much my expectations had changed based on this new freedom once I got to college until I visited my parents for vacation and realized nothing fit. I resented having to go to bed when they went to bed. I resented that somebody else decided when dinner was and that sometimes it was food I disliked or even had difficulty eating. I resented that my significant other could not be a part of my life to the degree I prefer while I was sleeping under my parents' roof. That's when I realized. I wasn't comfortable living like their kid anymore because I wasn't a kid anymore. I was a grown woman and I needed more room to breathe and make my own decisions.

My mother has enjoyed life more and more as she aged. As I myself tack on the years, I'm beginning to understand why.

So try not to worry, if you can. High school is carefree, but that's because the choices weren't yours. Not really. Freedom brings some anxiety about making the right choices, but even if you're not ready for that freedom yet... you'll probably grow into it and you'll know what to do with it eventually.

thank you very much for your reply. It is helping me a lot. So high school might be feeling like a totally different life to you doesn't it.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited July 2010
    then I'll miss 22.

Bingo. All the more reason to enjoy 22 while it is with you without clinging to the past. Do the same with 23, 24, etc...
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited July 2010
    You should be grateful for every second of life you have. I'd rather die now than live for ever :) And I don't want to die but it'd be better in the longrun. I'm a child and youth isn't absent of worries, of responsibility. So what, we're young. Doesn't mean anything. Can I run for miles, or even a mile? No. Could I die tomorrow? Yes. Do I have worries? Yes. Friendships and relationships and the future. There's puberty and sexuality and education and exams and peer pressure and living up to everybody's standards and LOVE ONES DIE NO MATTER HOW OLD YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!! Now listen Davey, I have may be young but I know what adults go through. I have family. They have dept and court cases and depression and repossesion and relationships and friends and kids and lives. You may want youth Davey, but you're not missing much. This life's the only one you get (ALERT: CLASH OF OPINION) and you should appreciate every second. My parents have taught me one thing and here it is; don't make the same mistakes. And that's made me determined to have a happy life. And there's a (possibly high?) chance that isn't going to happen. But if I live long enough, I'm going to do something with my life :)
    Your young Davey, keep looking at the past and you'll trip over tomorrow.

Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Don't live in the past or future. Live today. Oh and one day you'll be unable to do a lot of the things you do now because your body will age and change. You can get sick too.

So live today.
  • JetsFan366JetsFan366 Explorer
    edited July 2010
    Davey, I'll say this, this angst that you have is completely natural and most people in the world feel the same at some point in their lives - whether it's the 80 yr old wishing he was 20 or the 10 year old wishing he was still 8 (that was me). Aging can take a lot away (it can give a lot too, but that's not where I'm going with this :)) . And good looks, as you mentioned, are a tough thing to lose. Being attractive can get us love, attention, and many other feel-good things. But it is this dynamic and the subsequent connundrum that is at the heart of buddhism: all those things that you are afraid of losing, you WILL lose, at some point. Maybe you'll lose your looks at 30. Maybe 50. Maybe 60. Now you might say, 'Eh, 60, I'll worry about that then'. And that's fine. But every day that you take great satisfaction in something that is fleeting, looks, athleticism, etc. the more you will be attached to and dependend on going forward. And you still will feel some of the loss, even in the beginning, as you are noticing now. 18 is probably our peak, and then... things start to get ugly - metaphorically and physically! Not to mention there's always someone better looking...

Here's the good news. You've noticed this and are asking the question - good for you! Seriously. In this world of narcissism and the glorification of youth and beauty, it's a true accomplishment to ask the questions you're asking. And here's the best part - there is a solution. Many, many, many people have gone through exactly what you are going through and there are thousands of years of writing, practice, and wisdom about it. Thinking your way out of it isn't going to work. But you can start meditating. Meditating will help you to become less attached to things that will not bring you satisfaction.

So, don't panic, be patient, and sit! There are enough other threads on how to go about learning how to meditate. And if you already know how, then maybe it's time to take it to the next step. Either way, welcome to the journey.
    edited July 2010
    I used to want to be 6 LOL

Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited July 2010
    is it just me or someone else feels this too-- whenever I go past my old school and see kids there... the old memories come flooding back... everything, in great detail... and I miss that.. I miss those old friends, teachers and the stuff we used to do...games we used to play.

Similarly... when I'm studying or doing some work... I glance through the window and see kids playing football... they are carefree, they have got no problems.. nothing to worry about whereas I'm on a deadline and my project is not finished... That makes me jealous.
  • edited July 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    You should be grateful for every second of life you have. I'd rather die now than live for ever :) And I don't want to die but it'd be better in the longrun. I'm a child and youth isn't absent of worries, of responsibility. So what, we're young. Doesn't mean anything. Can I run for miles, or even a mile? No. Could I die tomorrow? Yes. Do I have worries? Yes. Friendships and relationships and the future. There's puberty and sexuality and education and exams and peer pressure and living up to everybody's standards and LOVE ONES DIE NO MATTER HOW OLD YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!! Now listen Davey, I have may be young but I know what adults go through. I have family. They have dept and court cases and depression and repossesion and relationships and friends and kids and lives. You may want youth Davey, but you're not missing much. This life's the only one you get (ALERT: CLASH OF OPINION) and you should appreciate every second. My parents have taught me one thing and here it is; don't make the same mistakes. And that's made me determined to have a happy life. And there's a (possibly high?) chance that isn't going to happen. But if I live long enough, I'm going to do something with my life :)
    Your young Davey, keep looking at the past and you'll trip over tomorrow.

Nickidoodle Jellybean

yes... I also am trying to do that... live in the present.
  • edited July 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Don't live in the past or future. Live today. Oh and one day you'll be unable to do a lot of the things you do now because your body will age and change. You can get sick too.

So live today.

live today yes...but which if today is not the best day or even a good day.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, like other posters here, although I will be 49 in October, I still feel the same as I always have...

I still see the little boy in me, yet I feel wiser and mature at my age.

I like the way I look, I am not shocked at all by what I see in the mirror and happy to say that with some Right View, Right Action, and working on being mindful I have lost 66lbs, run 2.5 miles every morning, am down to my waist size of 38" and conquered diabetes and Cholesterol.

Basically I still see the boy in me, am physically in pretty much the same shape as I was 25-30 years ago in college.

My avatar shows me at 14 when I first took up Classical Guitar (which I'm back into for the last 3 years) and this is me a few months ago in NYC.
  • edited July 2010
    Olarte wrote: »
    Well, like other posters here, although I will be 49 in October, I still feel the same as I always have...

I still see the little boy in me, yet I feel wiser and mature at my age.

I like the way I look, I am not shocked at all by what I see in the mirror and happy to say that with some Right View, Right Action, and working on being mindful I have lost 66lbs, run 2.5 miles every morning, am down to my waist size of 38" and conquered diabetes and Cholesterol.

Basically I still see the boy in me, am physically in pretty much the same shape as I was 25-30 years ago in college.

My avatar shows me at 14 when I first took up Classical Guitar (which I'm back into for the last 3 years) and this is me a few months ago in NYC.

thank you for the reply sir. It is good to know that getting older isn't as bad or tragic as I thought. trying to live in present and not in past or future.
  • edited July 2010
    Dear Daveysmith, if you live mindfully... believe me when I say that it ONLY GETS BETTER!

But please don't call me Sir... it's too old :coffee: & too formal :lol:

"Life is so good if we just let it be, and are awake enough to realize it!" :vimp:
    edited July 2010
    :D
  • edited July 2010
    Olarte wrote: »
    Dear Daveysmith, if you live mindfully... believe me when I say that it ONLY GETS BETTER!

But please don't call me Sir... it's too old :coffee: & too formal :lol:

"Life is so good if we just let it be, and are awake enough to realize it!" :vimp:

once again thank you very much... My mind sometimes still go to those odd thinks/ thoughts but I think about these replies and it eases me.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited July 2010
    As practitioners of the dharma we should all be aware of the attachment one can have to the past and future. But I can admit I often suddenly and randomly ponder about time. MY perception of time seems to be shooting by lately, It is going so so fast. I think that it will not be long before my mother gets old and passes on, that I will be middle aged. I am 21 right now and I am sure there are not many 21 year olds who contemplate these matters. Life is short, well this life is short :p and we should live every moment of it in the present being compassionate and honest to ourselves :)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited July 2010
    is it just me or someone else feels this too-- whenever I go past my old school and see kids there... the old memories come flooding back... everything, in great detail... and I miss that.. I miss those old friends, teachers and the stuff we used to do...games we used to play.

Similarly... when I'm studying or doing some work... I glance through the window and see kids playing football... they are carefree, they have got no problems.. nothing to worry about whereas I'm on a deadline and my project is not finished... That makes me jealous.

everyone experiences this. :)
    it's funny, i have moved many times in my life and met wonderful people and loved wonderful places and whenever i leave... it gives me a little pain in my heart to think back on those that i miss. but at the same time, i never would have had those experiences or met those people if i wasn't forever striving forward. this is how i know that there will be plenty more of these wonderful experiences to come. and someday, i can almost guarantee that you will look back on exactly where you are now with this same feeling.

don't let your life pass you by while you stay rooted in the past. sometimes i think, "man, it was so much easier when my parents paid the bills and made dinner and all i had to do was homework and draw or play video games" ...but i think when i was that age i probably thought life was so hard because of school and homework that i probably wished i was 4 when all i had to do was eat and poop, haha. even now if i think, "man, life is so hard. i have to work so much to pay my bills and be responsible for myself" but i think in maybe 10 years i will look back and think, "man, life was so easier 10 years ago before i had kids and all i had to do was take care of myself..."

hahaha. yes, it's human nature to wish for things to be different. but the reality is that you're only causing your suffering by doing so. why bother wasting energy on an impossibility when you could be looking for that wonderful experience right here in this moment?
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited July 2010
    i'm 26 now,

Never really liked my teen years, especially when I was living home. I didn't like the highschool drama, group pressure, egocentrism, hormonal behaviour we we're all showing back then.

Not much of my interest and hobby's have changed since then. Only the amount of time I spend on them has become less, cause I got 'grownup' stuff to do too.
    So far I haven't had much trouble aging, cause I just don't feel much older, things that have changed changed for the better so...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Well, I'm 64, and I can identify. I don't think anyone really enjoys getting old. We all have romantic delusions about how wonderful it was when we were younger. However, it's important to remember that we forget all the bad stuff that went along with all the good stuff!

On a deeper level, it's not real anyway. Our notion of "self" is simply a delusion. There is no "self". What we think of as "self" is like the frames of a movie. When you watch the movie it all seems to be one picture that moves, but in reality it's just a series of individual pictures. It's like that with our minds. We create a self because it is our habit to do so, not because the self is a reality. We're always changing, from instant to instant. Thus there is no aging, no sickness, no death, as it says in the Heart Sutra. But it is a delusion that is very difficult to get over!

Palzang
  • edited July 2010
    As practitioners of the dharma we should all be aware of the attachment one can have to the past and future. But I can admit I often suddenly and randomly ponder about time. MY perception of time seems to be shooting by lately, It is going so so fast. I think that it will not be long before my mother gets old and passes on, that I will be middle aged. I am 21 right now and I am sure there are not many 21 year olds who contemplate these matters. Life is short, well this life is short :p and we should live every moment of it in the present being compassionate and honest to ourselves :)

you would be surprised at how many people think about this stuff.
  • edited July 2010
    zombiegirl wrote: »
    everyone experiences this. :)
    it's funny, i have moved many times in my life and met wonderful people and loved wonderful places and whenever i leave... it gives me a little pain in my heart to think back on those that i miss. but at the same time, i never would have had those experiences or met those people if i wasn't forever striving forward. this is how i know that there will be plenty more of these wonderful experiences to come. and someday, i can almost guarantee that you will look back on exactly where you are now with this same feeling.

don't let your life pass you by while you stay rooted in the past. sometimes i think, "man, it was so much easier when my parents paid the bills and made dinner and all i had to do was homework and draw or play video games" ...but i think when i was that age i probably thought life was so hard because of school and homework that i probably wished i was 4 when all i had to do was eat and poop, haha. even now if i think, "man, life is so hard. i have to work so much to pay my bills and be responsible for myself" but i think in maybe 10 years i will look back and think, "man, life was so easier 10 years ago before i had kids and all i had to do was take care of myself..."

hahaha. yes, it's human nature to wish for things to be different. but the reality is that you're only causing your suffering by doing so. why bother wasting energy on an impossibility when you could be looking for that wonderful experience right here in this moment?

very true.. it is like the grass is always greener on the other side situation. but IS there a time when we don't have to worry about anything and just sit back and relax ?
  • edited July 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Well, I'm 64, and I can identify. I don't think anyone really enjoys getting old. We all have romantic delusions about how wonderful it was when we were younger. However, it's important to remember that we forget all the bad stuff that went along with all the good stuff!

On a deeper level, it's not real anyway. Our notion of "self" is simply a delusion. There is no "self". What we think of as "self" is like the frames of a movie. When you watch the movie it all seems to be one picture that moves, but in reality it's just a series of individual pictures. It's like that with our minds. We create a self because it is our habit to do so, not because the self is a reality. We're always changing, from instant to instant. Thus there is no aging, no sickness, no death, as it says in the Heart Sutra. But it is a delusion that is very difficult to get over!

Palzang

:wtf: what? there is aging, sickness and death... we can't ignore it even if we want.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    :wtf: what? there is aging, sickness and death... we can't ignore it even if we want.

Bodies age, gets sick, and die... of course. Can you look again and see what Palzang is describing?
    edited July 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Well, I'm 64, and I can identify. I don't think anyone really enjoys getting old. We all have romantic delusions about how wonderful it was when we were younger.
    Palzang

Hehehe. In Britain we have a show called The Sex Education Show. There's a series once a year. This year the series' theme was Am I Normal? and also about dismissing myths about people you don't think have sex. One of these was old people, which do have sex (who'd have thought :eek::p). It showed you naked old people. One woman was ninety. I think it put me of girls LOL. Anyway, your right, we should enjoy old age too. Sitting on your porch in your rocking chair, doing a crossword, looking over your Old Folks' Garden and coughing :p I can see the goodsides like... yeah... yeah.... emhem...yeah.

Nickidoodle Jellybean