Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Shakti

patbbpatbb Veteran
edited July 2010 in General Banter
Shakti

I know nothing about it, but it seems very interesting.

I've just started to investigate and I've already seen hundreds of positive comments about people experiencing this energy...

Anyone know anything about this?

How does Buddhism relates to this?

Thank you for your inputs :)

Comments

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Shakti is a hindu goddess of fire and creation... said to be a personification of the divine feminine energy, like the pagan moon, yin etc... In my experience, Buddhists consider it as many other phenomena "not leading toward liberation and therefore outside the realm of Buddhism"
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited July 2010
    yes. that seems right.

i was referring to the energy, not the goddess, i guess i used the wrong word...

what about the tibetan meditation to raise the body temperature etc...
    Im sure there are other form of advance Buddhist meditations that use this kind of energy...

what do you think?
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Are you referring to Ki or Qi? With your reference to Shakti, you might be talking about the kundalini. Practices with such kinds of energies are known, but there is more information of using that energy in the yogic world. Any insight from the Tibetian vajrayana traditions that work with energy like that aren't really appropriate until high levels of mindfulness.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Anyone know anything about this?
    I think you may be talking about prana. There are five kinds of prana: life-sustaining, upward-moving, pervasive, fire accompanying and downward clearing. Each is located in a region and presides certain bodily functions. Purification of those can have benefits related to buddhist practice, like combating drowsiness for example. They [the pranas] supposedly flow through channels and cakras, which comprise what is called the vajra body. There are also seed-essences, white and red. The seed-essences are related to Tunmo somehow. It's all very confusing and everything has a specific body location, but that changes depending on how you visualize them. :P
    How does Buddhism relates to this?
    Well, it is present in Tibetan Buddhism. Don't know about the rest. I think it is more of a tantric thing.
    what about the tibetan meditation to raise the body temperature etc...
    Im sure there are other form of advance Buddhist meditations that use this kind of energy...
    I don't think prana work is necessarily a very advanced thing, although tunmo (the one that raises body temperature) surely is.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I think you may be talking about prana. There are five kinds of prana: life-sustaining, upward-moving, pervasive, fire accompanying and downward clearing. Each is located in a region and presides certain bodily functions. Purification of those can have benefits related to buddhist practice, like combating drowsiness for example. They [the pranas] supposedly flow through channels and chakras, which comprise what is called the vajra body. There are also seed-essences, white and red. The seed-essences are related to Tunmo somehow. It's all very confusing and everything has a specific body location, but that changes depending on how you visualize them. :P

Well, it is present in Tibetan Buddhism. Don't know about the rest. I think it is more of a tantric thing.

I don't think prana work is necessarily a very advanced thing, although tunmo (the one that raises body temperature) surely is.
    sooooo Tibetan Buddhism just got more interesting to me.

Do you have any pointers as to where to look for learning about this?

Sounds similar to yoga, tai-chi... is it?

Is there a form of yoga that complement Buddhism? for spiritual development, not for aesthetic purposes ;)

I guess i should start a different thread.

Thank you both for your answers!
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Is there a form of yoga that complement Buddhism? for spiritual development, not for aesthetic purposes ;)
    Yantra Yoga. It is very rare to see people that actually practice it, though.
    Do you have any pointers as to where to look for learning about this?
    http://www.tibetanmedicine-edu.org/index.php/n-articles/vajra-body