Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hang Drum?

Has anyone heard of this instrument?

I just saw this video and it blew me away. these guys are awesome!

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/7124849/18546240

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    They're very pretty but pretty much impossible to get. You basically have to fly out to Switzerland, be interviewed and approved, pay a ton of money and wait fifty years to get one. xD They sound so so pretty though. :(
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Wow, they do sound beautiful and it's a shame they're so hard to come by.
  • edited July 2010
    These two performers are quite good. :)

I really wonder why nobody is making Hang drums anymore. It's a nice solo instrument. There seems to be an artificial market constraint. The thing that comes closest would probably be a Trinidad style steel drum or Indonesian Gamelan gongs.

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited July 2010
    Wow, thank you for posting this thread. I had never heard of this instrument before, and now I'm hooked on its sound! I made a queue on Youtube and have just been letting it run for a few hours now, just listening to the music made on it.

Though they are hard to come by, there seems to be a DIY method for making these drums, out of empty propane tanks. Basically, the notes are cut into the bottom of the tank in a sort of tongue shape of various sizes and shapes to produce the right harmonics (apparently lots of tuning involved). But I don't see any cuts in the professional hang drums; they seem to be just precisely-hammered indentations. Anyone have any insight on that?

I ask because I'm suddenly very interested in making one of these for myself, but there appears to be a difference between the propane tank model and the pro-model.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited July 2010
    watch the videos on this ebay auction. the sounds seems more similar to the original hang drum

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rockcreek-Double-Steel-Tongue-Drum-hank-hang-pan-tank-/320559542245?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa2d66fe5
  • edited July 2010
    zombiegirl wrote: »

Nice, those are some of the better-sounding 'hank' drums i've heard (after perusing Youtube for a bit). Makes me more eager to go ahead and try making one for myself - especially with a neat-o paint job, but that's for much later.

Now I just have to decide if I want to go dumpster diving, Craigslist hunting or just cough up the $30 cash to get my hands on an empty tank...
  • edited July 2010
    Alright, so I found an old, empty helium tank (same shape as the grill propane tanks) in the garage. Going to work on it now! I hope to start the tuning process later tonight. I'm so eager with anticipation!

BB
  • edited July 2010
    incredible. Thank you for sharing. =)
  • Beautiful instruments.
    They're very pretty but pretty much impossible to get. You basically have to fly out to Switzerland, be interviewed and approved, pay a ton of money and wait fifty years to get one. xD
    ^ That's true. But there are now a few other people making instruments based upon the Hang drum. Such as the Caisa, Halo, and Bell: http://www.hangdrumsandhandpans.com/2010/10/alternatives-to-hang-drum-for-sale-halo.html

Or alternatively (as mentioned above) 'Hank' drums, made from empty propane tanks. Could be worth a go. :)

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. Wonderful!

And in addition: