Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A succession of desires

DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
edited July 2010 in Philosophy
Recently during insight meditation I've been going a little deeper, beneath all the feelings, thoughts and images that come and go. It seems to amount to a succession of desires, a continual round of wantings and not wantings. I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

P

Comments

• edited July 2010
    porpoise wrote: »
    It seems to amount to a succession of desires, a continual round of wantings and not wantings.

It would seem that now that you are noticing this you would be less inclined to get caught up in those wantings and not wantings. It seems like that would be the objective.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010
    It would seem that now that you are noticing this you would be less inclined to get caught up in those wantings and not wantings. It seems like that would be the objective.

Yes, it does seem that recognising desires somehow reduces their influence and power, maybe not taking them so seriously, realising they don't have to be acted on or followed through. And beginning to see the potential for suffering in these desires.:)

P
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Recently during insight meditation I've been going a little deeper, beneath all the feelings, thoughts and images that come and go. It seems to amount to a succession of desires, a continual round of wantings and not wantings. I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

P
    it's more like an accumulation than a round.

and there is a source that manifest all of these desires and emotions.
    (like you can imagine how greed for material possessions create a whole lot of smaller desires...)

By observing them with equanimity (letting go of holding on to them), they can dissipate and you can take out all of this accumulated trash. And eventually get to the source.
    edited July 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    it's more like an accumulation than a round.

I'm sure you're right.

P
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010
    The basic energy of desire is continuous and part of the world function. In its absence there is no heartbeat, nothing. So the point is not to personalize it, own it. Ownership warps it into "desires" with a life of their own taking you to dispersion. Unowned and unwarped, desire is none other than the natural flow and function of the bodymind and world. It is the natural karma of the world. That is how it looks to be anyway.
  • edited July 2010
    Desire ... is what it is , the self clinging to something to reify its existence. If there were no carriage there is no wheel. This is the classic analysis of the chariot and its parts by chandrakirti. Without the chariot its parts are meaningless. They have no purpose. So desire(s) are a plural focus upon many things. The best way to get rid of attachment ( desire) is to practice the method aspect of the path, which neutralizes the selfish mind.

peace.
    edited July 2010
    The best way to get rid of attachment ( desire) is to practice the method aspect of the path, which neutralizes the selfish mind.

Could you say briefly what the "method aspect" is? Thanks.

P
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Could you say briefly what the "method aspect" is? Thanks.

P
    meditation.
  • edited July 2010
    The buddha's teachings can be summed up in 2 aspects. Method & Wisdom.

Method is bodhichitta and the practices of compassion and equalizing self and other, These practices are directly focused by the buddha as antidotes to selfishness. The other is Wisdom . This is the realization of emptiness or selflessness.

They are also referred in the hinayana as "two wings".
    edited July 2010
    Method is bodhichitta and the practices of compassion and equalizing self and other, These practices are directly focused by the buddha as antidotes to selfishness. The other is Wisdom . This is the realization of emptiness or selflessness.

Could you say which tradition this refers to?
    Thanks
    P
    edited July 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    meditation.

What type(s) of meditation are you referring to?
    Thanks.
    P
  • edited July 2010
    i practice tibetian buddhism. but i have studied and worked with soto zen. the meditation i do is shamatha