Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I have realized true zen.

2»

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2010
    birdshine wrote: »
    That is not my attempt. I am saying in order to be enlightened you must realize there is no you to be not enlightened. Simply stop trying to convince yourself there is.

You/not-you misunderstand me/not-me. I/not-I completely realise this, and need no convincing.

However - as I/not-I think you/not-you yourself pointed out - 'one' (is that any better?) is constrained by language to use personal pronouns.
  • edited July 2010
    You must have a self in order to be arrogant or enlightened

this makes no sense and i don't understand why the self is needed to be enlightened. The reason you said this is because the reductio made you expose your contradictions.

you must have a self to be arrogant , yes. However enlightenment is not the opposite of self because that would suppose that the self is one thing and the non self another. sorry i dont believe you buddha.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2010

I simply had the urge to express and so I did.
    An enlightened Mind has no such urge. The Buddha had to be convinced to teach. he was more than content to rest in Calm Abiding.
    Such an urge is a response to an egotistic concept.

I don't want anything. There is no I to have wants. There is nothing I am looking to accomplish or achieve from this thread.
    Good, this is good. deletion will therefore not be an issue....

I'm certainly not looking for recognition. I created this thread on impulse so I don't know what the reason is
    There is a reason, you outlined it in your above response. You had an impulse. One born of ego. You had to simply tell someone of your achievement. therefore, you were responding to an ego-based compulsion.
    There is nothing else it could be, there is nowhere else it could stem form.
    but I don't feel there are separate you and Is for the other to recognize. What you describe is interesting though. Would it anger me to be beaten with a stick? That would certainly disprove that I was enlightened if it were the case as I'd fall back into the trap of thinking there is even a me to be beaten or angry.

A A zen Buddhist Monk from Deal

Said, "Though I know that pain isn't real,

When I sit on a pin

And it punctures my skin

I dislike what I fancy I feel".

There is no you, but when a rock hits your head, it's still painful.

There was no teaching or sutra that lead me to this. I wasn't meditating. It simply dawned on me. Suddenly it struck me. Everything clicked, everything made sense. I realized that all the time I'd spent meditating was a total joke. I laugh about it now, all the work I did. I laugh about it a lot.
    A sense of humour is a wonderful thing, particularly when the joke is on you.
    I'm sure the time the Buddha spent meditating - both before and after enlightenment - made him laugh too....
    Yes, I still chop wood and carry water. I work at a school of painting and sculpture in the kitchen. I used to dislike work. In the Buddha-mind, its ecstatic. What used to be boring, mundane food prep is now a throng of sensations. My out-of-work style of life has changed also. Whereas before I'd sit and work on my novel, read up on the news, call a friend now I will simply wander aimlessly through the woods at night or stretch for hours.

From useful to use-less. Well, yes, I can see how that might seem like progress.
    I wonder what would happen if all Buddhists followed this example?
    This would have a severe impact on fellow workers, colleagues and friends.
    I do not personally find this a skilful result....
    I still keep my personal relations and friends however its becoming more and more difficult. I no longer play along with conversations or cling to the concept of separate individuals when talking with them.

Your enlightenement should bring a heightened sense of awareness, compassion, consideration and empathy. Not deaden it.
    I fear you are resigning from social life, but this is not proving to be constructive, if others are seeing a negative aspect to your attitude...
    people flocked to the Buddha and were eager to follow his footsteps and learn by his example. It seems your Enlightenment has not achieved the same response.
    I think all my friends have suspected that I've gone totally mad. One of my friends here is a fellow practitioner who is trying to learn from what I've achieved. I'm telling him thats exactly what not to do.
    I'm inclined to agree, here....
    You must have a self in order to be arrogant or enlightened, and you don't. You are attempting in vain to convince yourself that you have a self using tools such as enlightened or arrogant.

I find you completely misunderstand the concept of non-duality. There IS a self, but equally, there is a Not-Self. There is an inseparable co-existence. I think you miss this point.

The impulse simply arose and I no longer question these impulses.
    No, but you responded to them.
    Rather than remain indifferent to the impulse, appraise it, and question its skilfulness, you responded to it, without apparent rhyme, reason or justification.
    An Enlightened Mind would do nothing without sound justification.
    It would also do nothing with sound justification.

I don't know the answer to this question.

I'm going to take everyones advice and go get hit by a stick.[/QUOTE]
  • edited July 2010
    I've not been deadened to compassion, consideration, or empathy. I've realized them truly because I no longer am deluded by the self. I'm not resigning from social life, I just no longer consider myself an ego, and egos are the basis of social life. So now I have to pretend and play along instead of whole heartedly participate. It seems different now in a way that the people around me don't understand. There are those that have come to me when they noticed this change. One girl, who used to me teach me yoga, and I had a long conversation. She was understanding what I was saying intellectually but didn't "feel" it or "get" it. Until during the conversation we both broke out in incredible laughter and afterwards she just walked away muttering, "Its all the same." What she experienced I haven no idea.

I disagree that all urges come from ego. The urge arises like the pain of being hit by the rock. It has a stimulus, it comes, it goes, though it is not real.

What do you mean by the self and the non-self? I no longer trust these concepts to language and it could be possible we're discussing the same meaning and totally missing each other.
    You/not-you misunderstand me/not-me. I/not-I completely realise this, and need no convincing.

However - as I/not-I think you/not-you yourself pointed out - 'one' (is that any better?) is constrained by language to use personal pronouns.
    hahahaha exactly
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Birdshine. Have you been absorbing Bankei? If so, I see where you are at. However, skillfulness is lacking in your posts and consequently you have made no friends here it seems. This is something to consider when showing up in a new neighborhood.

http://www.enlightened-spirituality.org/bankei_zen_master.html
    all the best.
    edited July 2010
    So now I have to pretend and play along instead of whole heartedly participate.

And this is where you fail.

Who - literally - is doing the pretending?
    And more importantly - why?

An enlightened mind does not play mind-games, nor have the need, desire or compunction to pretend anyway.
    Pretend - what?

Your moment with your yoga teacher was a moment of realisation, nothing more, nothing less.
    It simply 'was'.
    Nothing special, or significant.

I've had dozens of similar moments.
    They're simple moments of 'ahaah-ism'.
    Ho-hum.
  • edited July 2010
    federica wrote: »
    And this is where you fail.

Who - literally - is doing the pretending?
    And more importantly - why?

An enlightened mind does not play mind-games, nor have the need, desire or compunction to pretend anyway.
    Pretend - what?

Your moment with your yoga teacher was a moment of realisation, nothing more, nothing less.
    It simply 'was'.
    Nothing special, or significant.

I've had dozens of similar moments.
    They're simple moments of 'ahaah-ism'.
    Ho-hum.
    This is very wise. This is what I'm trying to express and not succeeding :lol:
    edited July 2010
    So I am unenlightened, yet can express it well.
    You are enlightened yet cannot express it adequately.

That's interesting, don't you think?
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited July 2010
    I've reached the highest form of enlightenment.
    And you're posting about it on an Internet forum. :orange:
    edited July 2010
    www[dot]mountaintop[dot]com.....
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Lincoln wrote: »
    And you're posting about it on an Internet forum. :orange:

Many peoples thoughts exactly...Not a skillfull action. :hrm:
    edited July 2010
    says it all really!!:lol:
    edited July 2010
    Hey hold on! I am this close to nailing it, and was planning on announcing it here first. That's why you have this :cheer:right?
    edited July 2010
    No, we have that because you are drunk, and really should call it a night......:p
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Quote:
    So why try to discuss it to begin with? In other words, what was the reason for creating this thread to begin with? Perhaps because you enjoy talking about it? If so, why do you enjoy talking about it?
    The impulse simply arose and I no longer question these impulses.

How can an impulse arise out of emptiness?
    Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva
    when practicing deeply the Prajna Paramita
    perceives that all five skandhas are empty
    and is saved from all suffering and distress.

Shariputra,
    all dharmas are marked with emptiness;
    they do not appear or disappear,
    are not tainted or pure,
    do not increase or decrease.

Therefore, in emptiness no form, no feelings,
    no perceptions, no impulses, no consciousness.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited July 2010
    "Atman, anatman... what does it matter? ahahaha" Dalai Lama
  • edited July 2010
    i think you folks are cutting little birdshine way too much slack.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    armando wrote: »
    i think you folks are cutting little birdshine way too much slack.

Heh, nah... in my opinion there's reason to be nice even to the egoic ones. With time, perhaps birdshine will be more than a troll. You know who woulda loved this thread though, DD. :lol:

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited July 2010
    Well, I'll stop bothering since none of you are interested.
    edited July 2010
    I believe you man... I don't know alot about like ... enlightenment and stuff. Like... there's the 4 stages of enlightenment, then theres the wisdom in emptiness thing... are you an Arahat?
    edited July 2010
    Leaving aside the erroneous grammar, I think judging by the responses you've received, most of us have shown an intense interest.

It's simply that your premise is extremely flawed.
    Furthermore, your comment here is absolute testimony to how miffed you are that we're apparently not taking you seriously.
    Again, I point out - an Enlightened mind would give a damn whether anybody was interested or not.
    Their serenity and propensity to rise above such petty appraisal would be manifest.

I think you should take a leaf out of Fagin's book.

Review the situation, because I think you'd better work it out again.....
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Seems that this place slowly turns into a war -zone. Before that, we people attacked Birdshine like hungry wolves. So, to prove that you are enlightened , Birdshine, would you please say something that will blow our minds...and has not been said and intuited by any zen master, bodhisatva or other enlightened being that existed ?
  • edited July 2010
    sir, i believe your lost in the trappings of thesis. You must learn to argue away from a thesis and that is by not positing one.
  • edited July 2010
    federica wrote: »
    So I am unenlightened, yet can express it well.
    You are enlightened yet cannot express it adequately.

That's interesting, don't you think?

You're sure you're not enlightened, Federica? :P
    edited July 2010
    Oh you can bet on it......
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    Heh, isn't that the truth. Umm... the second one I mean. The first one is more snarky, but yeah... if I had a dollar for every person I've seen jump up and yell "Eureka! I'm done! I've done it! I am the master now!" I'd have I think 7 or 8 dollars. One of those came right from my own pocket too, I must admit. Silly kids we all are :)

Yeah, it's kind of funny. It is probably best not to take ourselves too seriously whether or not we are enlightened.
    edited July 2010
    I'm still curious as to whether bird guy or w/e is an Arahat. I've been a Buddhist for a long time and I don't fully have an intellectualy grasp on the concepts of enlightened beings like "Arahant" or "Wisdom in emptiness" probably because I don't give a crap because I just practice to have it take me to the truth and liberation but I am still curious as to whether you are an aharant.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I'm certainly not enlightened and in fairness I probably should not make fun. I don't know anything about the OP. Maybe he is.

The main reason I posted my ridiculous thread was to exagerate the way such claims on an internet forum may appear. Whether or not the OP is enlightened - who can say - but making such a claim in the first place on the internet (or anywhere, for that matter, but especially online) is certainly questionable.

If the OP is not enlightened I hope that my post is seen as skilful in showing why we shouldn't claim to be enlightened on the internet.

If the OP is enlightened then I sincerely apologize.
  • edited July 2010

"There is no Enlightenment outside of daily life." - Thich Nhat Hanh

• xabirxabir Veteran
    edited July 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    I'm still curious as to whether bird guy or w/e is an Arahat. I've been a Buddhist for a long time and I don't fully have an intellectualy grasp on the concepts of enlightened beings like "Arahant" or "Wisdom in emptiness" probably because I don't give a crap because I just practice to have it take me to the truth and liberation but I am still curious as to whether you are an aharant.
    I'd say he's not. An Arhant has realized Anatta. What birdshine realized is impersonality + the I AM, but not Anatta.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    I'm certainly not enlightened and in fairness I probably should not make fun. I don't know anything about the OP. Maybe he is.

The chances of him being enlightened are significantly less than you or fed being enlightened. How can I tell? What basis do I use?

When we read his words, can't we hear the self-embellishment? The clinging to enlightenment as a place? The speaking without purpose? The un-penetrated mystery of his own urges? The distaste for his opposition? The missing compassion? He then went and posted invalidations to moral questions, rather than responding with moral teachings like the Buddha did... doesn't that help navigate his claims?

Now, one might say that those qualities might be projected into him, and that is certainly possible. However, anyone who has done study of suttas or sat for a long time usually has difficulty projecting onto the words of buddhas, because they ring with such clarity that their strength makes us see. And here, what it appears that most of us see, is someone who is mistaking a non-dual view with enlightenment, which is common for those who have not taken refuge in the jewels. Especially the sangha, which is a fine place to root our humility and ordinariness.

Its like he's holding a sphere of non-dualism in one hand, claiming that its him (even to himself) and so every time he reads words, he routes it to the sphere... which is just a projection of non-dual space. This non-dual space seems to be his master personality, making it difficult to be fluid or directly helpful in the moment. Its a good lesson in spiritual materialism in my opinion, because it reminds me that attainments are not the goal, they actually can impede our progress.

Not that birdshine should be ostracized for his misconception, but he most certainly needs to come down a little from his realization high before communicating directly with him will be available. If a Zen teacher were near him, he'd be back already :)

With warmth,

Matt
    edited July 2010
    There are some really helpful points being made in this thread. It is only natural for someone to say "wow this is it!" when having a first experience of dropping everything and just being. Compared to experience as a vulnerable particle, non-duality is a taste of Enlightenment, but it is just a taste because the next time something rubs you the wrong way, you are a reactive particle again. There are these moments of aha (to varying depths) but the grunt-work remains to be done.

One point I would like to make.... if this forum was not serious I wouldn't waste my time. If there weren't people sharing practice in a serious way, it really would be a waste of time. There are Enlightened people. It is not a myth. It is not a realization reserved for the historical Buddha, to be worshiped and held as a ideal for us mere plebes. That is truly a pathetic attitude. I have had the good fortune to meet people who are very Enlightened and recognize that basic capacity in myself and others. Seeing people make misguided claims to "Enlightenment" we can fall into the other extreme of wallowing in our non-Enlightened status, which is no better. I think it is wrong to say that something about this medium in inherently unserious. It is a valid means of communication with people all around the world about our practice, and yes our Enlightenment too. We are Buddhists to realize Enlightenment after all. So just as we should not go around thinking we are Enlightened, we should also be careful about projecting our own feelings of deluded status on everyone, while exhalting a Buddha we only read about.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    bird guy

:lol:
  • edited July 2010

I don't know the answer to this question.

I'm going to take everyones advice and go get hit by a stick.

If it begs that we are self aware enough to conceptualize a being such as ourself, and we are a sum of the parts of what compose us, then could it not be possible that it is not just the whole that is conscious, but the parts as well?

Additionally, I've been hit by a lot of sticks, and it hasn't made me any wiser.

If I were wise, I'd stop being hit by the sticks!

So I suppose by asking who you are, I am asking what you are.

You say you are enlightened, but what does that actually mean until you tell how you have transcended that which is yourself?

We're all enlightened to different degrees, for enlightenment is nothing more than the pulling of one's mind from the dark.
  • edited July 2010
    "You're sure you're not enlightened, Federica? :P"

It is funny, but learning does arise from ignorance, does it not?

Existentialism through Nihilism, Hot from cold.

It is odd, ironic, and funny, no?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2010
    In my opinion you are saying that you know in order to close yourself off from your experience. Avidya or avoidance and it is a way to get ground underneath us. It is also what keeps us hopping onto worlds we have created. You are dreaming you are enlightened. Eventually you will die to that world.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    We are Buddhists to realize Enlightenment after all. So just as we should not go around thinking we are Enlightened, we should also be careful about projecting our own feelings of deluded status on everyone, while exhalting a Buddha we only read about.

Good point Richard.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010

I hope posting this online was a humbling experience for you. It's extremely arrogant to declare yourself enlightened, or in any way more spiritually developed than others. This last post only shows that since people didn't rush to congratulate or exalt you for your grand achievement, that you aren't interested in discussing or even acknowledging what others are trying to tell you. Did you ever think that your so-called "true Zen" may simply be another illusion? Once you decide to stop practicing or progressing, there is no opportunity to develop further, and you close yourself off to everything except this delusion of grandeur.

I understand your message of innate enlightenment, that we are all (in the absolute sense) "enlightened" - the idea that in the ultimate realm, at one point or another we all possess the primordial qualities of a Buddha. However, this is not the same as declaring our current, flawed human selves to have reached some all-knowing plateau of knowledge. And really, on an internet forum, it just sounds silly.

Koan by Linji:

If you meet the Buddha, kill him.

Interpretation by Wikipedia:
    Thinking about Buddha is delusion, not awakening. One must destroy preconceptions of the Buddha. Zen master Shunryu Suzuki wrote in Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind during an introduction to Zazen, "Kill the Buddha if the Buddha exists somewhere else. Kill the Buddha, because you should resume your own Buddha nature."
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    After reading that my last post came off rather harshly, so I wanted to soften it up a bit.

Blessings to you, a Buddha-to-be.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited July 2010
    mugzy wrote: »

Koan by Linji:

If you meet the Buddha, kill him.

Interpretation by Wikipedia:
    Thinking about Buddha is delusion, not awakening. One must destroy preconceptions of the Buddha. Zen master Shunryu Suzuki wrote in Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind during an introduction to Zazen, "Kill the Buddha if the Buddha exists somewhere else. Kill the Buddha, because you should resume your own Buddha nature."

I was about to say the same thing when I first saw this thread.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010
    sir, i believe your lost in the trappings of thesis. You must learn to argue away from a thesis and that is by not positing one.

I wish I understood that!:lol:

P
  • edited July 2010
    being laughed at is the worst for a ego. wonder how that is for everyone else :D
    edited July 2010
    being laughed at is the worst for a ego. wonder how that is for everyone else :D
    Agree, it is the best diminisher. Sometimes it helps to be the old git in the western saloon who is made to dance by a gun slinger. "Dance monkey dance!"
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I have watched (in-person) the humbleness, the non-ego, non-attachment of many monks. They never proclaim their exalted status ... in fact, they deny it. And when students try to argue and don't believe what they are teaching, they allow the student their misunderstandings and do not try to convince them otherwise ... they do this with warmth and gentleness in their eyes.

Based on what I have seen in teachings, I feel safe to say that they would never go online and make the claims that you have. And if anyone refuted what they said, they would never respond. Because of this, I do not accept your claims.
    edited July 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    , I do not accept your claims.

You mean I'm not the old git dancing like a monkey?

....oooohh you are responding to the OP.:D yes it is absurd to see claims like this. It usually comes from folks who are practicing alone, or who have been reading about Zen and pondering. In Sangha such talk is not given the time of day.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    You mean I'm not the old git dancing like a monkey?

Well, you are an old git... but your ego wants you to be the old git... :)
    edited July 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    Well, you are an old git... but your ego wants you to be the old git... :)
    You bet! Now stand back boy or I'll gum ya!.
    edited July 2010
    Ok guys.
    As the OP seems to have entered a parinibbana all of his own, I think we can knock this thread on the head.

"See? it's in the past!!"

Thanks to all who contributed.
This discussion has been closed.