Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Satori

edited July 2010 in Philosophy
Hello,
I've been lurking here for a couple of months, and have recently signed up. The community here seems very friendly and helpful.
In this topic, I'm going to share a personal experience (just a warning lol it's not too late escape! ;)).
I haven't shared this with many people, its very hard to explain.
I believe it was a "satori" but I am open and welcome to other interpretations.

It happened about six years ago.
I was in my car, just coming off the ramp on to the highway.
It was early evening, the sun had just began to set.
The motorway was bumper to bumper traffic with people on their way home from the city. Stuck in gridlock I took a moment to admire the sunset. Like all sunsets it was beautiful, a mix of colors, pink and purple misty clouds, blue and orange sky. I took notice of the things obstructing my view, a large gaudy billboard, dull concrete buildings, a dirty factory billowing smog into the atmosphere. I found them distasteful, ugly things blemishing the beauty of nature.

As I continued to stare out on to the industrial scene with the backdrop of a departing sun I came to a realisation, all of it was lovely. And this is where things begin to get difficult to explain.

Within moments after that thought I found myself somewhere else.
I was no longer in my car. I was no longer anywhere. Somewhere and yet nowhere. There was nothingness but it wasn't. I was myself but I was not myself. Something spoke to me that was there and not there. It didn't speak with words but what I can only describe as 'emotions', and yet they were like no emotion I had ever before experienced.

These feelings were complex, advanced like a language of its own. Wisdom flooded over me, as everything was revealed, the purpose of life, the universe, everything. I saw everything though not with my eyes for I had none. Things that cannot be explained through what I now accept to be our primitive language. Universes, more than one. Things circular and linear at the same time.

I slipped back into myself and found myself in my car, still stuck in traffic, no time had passed. I was awe-struck. As soon as the opportunity presented itself I got off of the highway. I found a lot to pull into and parked. I grabbed and shuffled through my backpack for a notepad to try to write down the information before it faded away.
I brought pen to paper and prepared to record the answer to all our questions past, present and future. But I couldn't. I had received no words, only indescribable feelings. In the end my paper only had two things. A circle and the word "beautiful".

Thank you for listening.

Comments

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Very interesting.
  • edited July 2010
    It sounds like you had a seizure.
  • edited July 2010
    Everything is Beautiful. This is a beautiful truth.
    Watch attachment
  • edited July 2010
    Hello GuyC, creator of GuyC's law ^_~. Do you have have any advice for me, or any ideas on what this experiance was?

Thank you birdshine, what about my experiance suggests a seizure?

Thank you both for your time.

Namaste.
  • edited July 2010
    Sorry camlachal, I missed your post. Yes that was exactly the feeling I was left with.
    I am interested in watching Attachment, do you know where I could find it?
    Or do you mean be careful of attachment?

Thank you for your advice and your time. :)

Namaste.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Yurie wrote: »
    Hello GuyC, creator of GuyC's law ^_~. Do you have have any advice for me, or any ideas on what this experiance was?

Namaste.

I may or may not have experienced something similar to what you have described, but if I could offer any advice it would be not to accept advice about such experiences from internet message boards. It would be better to go and discuss such experiences with a meditation teacher, preferably one with a lot of experience.

It certainly sounds very interesting, but I can't really say more than that.
  • edited July 2010
    Thank you GuyC. That is great advice. :)
    Where I live currently, there are no meditation teachers that I know of, and the closest temple is several hours away. I will continue searching for one though.
    In the meantime, the possibility that you, and others here, may have had a similar experiances brings me happiness. <3
  • edited July 2010
    Yurie wrote: »

Namaste.
    Well, I'm studying neurology and what you describe sounds like what can be described by many who experience seizures. Seizures can have all sorts of strange effects, blinding light, hearing strange music or sounds, visual hallucinations, intense feelings, these are all commonly experienced within seizures which are electrical disturbances in the brain. A seizure isn't necessarily harmful, you're probably fine. Its not actually abnormal to have a seizure now and then.
  • edited July 2010
    lol Birdshine. You don't need to make things up to impress me.
    Someone specializing in neurology, is already a doctor and already in residency, yet in your thread about your enlightenment, you said you work in the kitchen at a school of painting and sculpture.

There is no need for pretenses, I was sincere in my welcome for alternative explainations. I have looked into partial sensory seizures, as I believe that was the type of seizure you was refering to in your post. It was quite insightful. It was not what I experianced, but I thank you for your reply as it gave me an opportunity to learn something new.

Take care. ^_^
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited July 2010
    cool story.

now that you've tasted it, it will be more difficult to walk the wrong path that lead to delusion, and easier to walk the path that lead to freedom.

this can be a great inspiration for your practice no?
  • edited July 2010
    This put a smile on my face. Enjoy the experience.
  • edited July 2010
    Patbb, you're brilliant! A taste that is the word. Yes.

Brxan, thank you, and now you've put a smile on my face too. =)