Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

how do i go forward

chanrattchanratt Veteran
edited July 2010 in Buddhism Basics
it has been a mere three months since i began practicing zazen and buddhism in general, and lately i feel uninspired. my meditation (15-20 mins a day) hasnt really bore any fruit and i end up just sitting there for the duration with thoughts swirling around making no progress. i now the 'desire'to progress will go against me as it is leading to further negative emotions like frustration. do iget a teacher? where do igofrom here?

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010
    chanratt wrote: »
    my meditation (15-20 mins a day) hasnt really bore any fruit and i end up just sitting there for the duration with thoughts swirling around making no progress.
    just sit there for the duration with your thoughts swirling around for the duration. You will make no progress. Just do that. Are you bored? You will get bored, so just sit there for the duration with your thoughts swirling around, bored.

It is unsatisfactory right? Well there you have it, given to you on a platter chanratt. The whole thing is unsatisfactory and your lucky for it too. Because if you were feeling satisfied you would be doing something wrong. Remember "it's not about having an experience, but knowing whatever experience is present" the basic tone of your meditation experience will be unsatisfactory unless your entertaining yourself.

So.. there is your practice. What does it feel like to be unsatisfied.... to just sit there with no escape.... unsatisfied? No entertainment.

where do i gofrom here?
    nowhere. because no matter what you do the satifaction will be temporary. Be unsatisfied. Sit there and be unsatisfied. get to know the feeling , the state of being unsatisfied. That is the only thing to do. No choice, you can delay, but in the end no choice.

A teacher will help you with that.

There is a story about the death of Oscar Wilde. As he lay on his deathbed in a hotel room, he pointed to the hideous wallpaper he was forced to spend his last hours looking at, and said "One of us has to go".
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2010
    this is hot boredom... keep sitting...

I'll find something that talks about it...

"Boredome is important in meditation practice; it increases the psychological sophistication of the practitioners. They begin to apprectate boredom and they develope sophistication until the boredom begins to become cool boredom, like a mountain river. It flows and flows and flows, methodically and repititiously, but it is very cooling, very refreshing. Mountains never get tired of being mountains, and waterfalls never get tired of being waterfalls. Because of their patience we begin to appreciate them. Tehre is something in that. If we are to save ourselves from spiritual materialism and from buddhadharma credentials, the introduction of boredeome and repetitiousness is extremely important"

In other words you are not off the path, just experiencing hot boredom. My suggestion is to instead of thinking of what you might be experiencing to add that wonder and excitement.... Instead just get really curious and in tune with what you ARE experiencing.. As Trungpa Rinpoche above says when you get into the states of cool boredom some of that pressure to do something is relieved and this is likened to cooling and refreshment..
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Go forward by sitting still.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I have a few questions. Why do you feel meditation has not "bore any fruits"? What are you trying to accomplish? What progress do you feel you're not making?
  • edited July 2010
    Make friends with the boredom. Find out what it has to say to you.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited July 2010
    My favorite modern dharma quote: Don't just do something, sit there!

Welcome to meditation

:)

Mtns
  • chanrattchanratt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    I have a few questions. Why do you feel meditation has not "bore any fruits"? What are you trying to accomplish? What progress do you feel you're not making?

well, one thing i am trying to accomplish is to simply silence my mind and achieve a meditative state. th progress i feel i am not making is that i am not achieving this nor am i getting a deeper understanding of the practice of zen
  • edited July 2010
    well, one thing i am trying to accomplish is to simply silence my mind and achieve a meditative state. th progress i feel i am not making is that i am not achieving this or am i getting a deeper undesrtanding of the practice of zen

As far as I know you will never have a silent mind. There will always be something in there. If it ever goes quite you will probably say "Man, it's quite in here" and then the noise continues.

Just like everyone has said so far. Just sit. Keep it up.

Anyway, the fruit I've got from the practice hasn't been produced on the mat. It has reveled itself in the world. To be more precise it occurred on a city bus and in between towering apartment complexes.

Sit, sit, sit!
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    What's a meditative state?
    edited July 2010
    Brxan wrote: »

Anyway, the fruit I've got from the practice hasn't been produced on the mat. It has reveled itself in the world. To be more precise it occurred on a city bus and in between towering apartment complexes.

Sit, sit, sit!

what do u mean 'it' occurred to you. do you mean enlightenment?
  • edited July 2010
    what do u mean 'it' occurred to you. do you mean enlightenment?

OH NO! I wouldn't dare say enlightenment. Even if I was enlightened I probably wouldn't know it. :lol:

When I was on the city bus going to work I looked at my forearm and BAM! I realized what was actually wasn't. I tried to explain it to the people I work with but they didn't get it.

When I was walking to the grocery store I cut through a large lot with many different apartment buildings on it. These were high-rises but to make it look better the property owners planted a lot of grass and trees. It was really nice. Well, while on this walk I made on a regular basis the wind blew and I seen a tree sway and a bird crossed the sky. BAM! I understood interconnectedness and that I am those things.

I had an intellectual understanding of these things but my practice helped bring these things into the world.

I had been meditating for about a six months when these things happened. Now these are big things, at least in my opinion, but a lot of smaller things happened to.

One thing I can say though is that after I had these experiences I still have to go to work like everyone else, I still have to eat just like everyone else, and I still get sick just like everyone else. It is just that I see these things differently now thanks to the fact that I sat for thirty minutes a day in silence.
    edited July 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    What's a meditative state?
    Good question. chanratt, if you want "a deeper understanding of the practice of zen" you should address this question. It is important.
    edited July 2010
    Brxan wrote: »
    OH NO! I wouldn't dare say enlightenment. Even if I was enlightened I probably wouldn't know it. :lol:

When I was on the city bus going to work I looked at my forearm and BAM! I realized what was actually wasn't. I tried to explain it to the people I work with but they didn't get it.

When I was walking to the grocery store I cut through a large lot with many different apartment buildings on it. These were high-rises but to make it look better the property owners planted a lot of grass and trees. It was really nice. Well, while on this walk I made on a regular basis the wind blew and I seen a tree sway and a bird crossed the sky. BAM! I understood interconnectedness and that I am those things.

I had an intellectual understanding of these things but my practice helped bring these things into the world.

I had been meditating for about a six months when these things happened. Now these are big things, at least in my opinion, but a lot of smaller things happened to.

One thing I can say though is that after I had these experiences I still have to go to work like everyone else, I still have to eat just like everyone else, and I still get sick just like everyone else. It is just that I see these things differently now thanks to the fact that I sat for thirty minutes a day in silence.

brilliant! that's a great story. i think i will just keep doing what i'm doing and relax. my grandmother used to say 'a watched kettle never boils'. thank you for all your replies everyone
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010
    A wise teacher once said "Real progress comes after you can sit past the point of being completely and totally frustrated."
    edited July 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    A wise teacher once said "Real progress comes after you can sit past the point of being completely and totally frustrated."

i like that as that is what i am trying to do
    edited July 2010
    brilliant! that's a great story. i think i will just keep doing what i'm doing and relax. my grandmother used to say 'a watched kettle never boils'. thank you for all your replies everyone
    Ofcourse it is a great story chanratt, why? because it is Exactly the Zen cliche you want to hear, and everything else other people have said, which is basically the same important point, has gone right by you.

good luck fella.;)
    edited July 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    Ofcourse it is a great story chanratt, why? because it is Exactly the Zen cliche you want to hear, and everything else other people have said, which is basically the same important point, has gone right by you.

good luck fella.;)

i am a beginner and that story is written in the language that i am used to. other replies like 'what is a meditative state' did go right by me but i didn't ignore them. I have no answer to a question like that right now as it is something i have to think about. a lot of Zen literature has appeared confusing to me thus far, which is probably why i am here asking newbie questions and looking for help
  • shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
    edited July 2010
    it has been a mere three months since i began practicing zazen and buddhism in general, and lately i feel uninspired. my meditation (15-20 mins a day) hasnt really bore any fruit and i end up just sitting there for the duration with thoughts swirling around making no progress. i now the 'desire'to progress will go against me as it is leading to further negative emotions like frustration. do iget a teacher? where do igofrom here?

I've been doing solitary meditation learned from books for over four years now. Quite often I feel very uninspired. Yet I haven't dropped it. Why? Sometimes I think I have a sort of, shall we say, glimpses into somewhere I really wanna be. So far that's been enough to keep me going...

And I agree, cliche answers like "just sit there" may not be very helpful.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited July 2010
    chanratt, when you meditate I'm sure your attention is focused on something like the breath. When you become bored or have some other negative emotion, let the emotion be the focus of your attention instead of the breath.
    edited July 2010
    i am a beginner and that story is written in the language that i am used to. other replies like 'what is a meditative state' did go right by me but i didn't ignore them. I have no answer to a question like that right now as it is something i have to think about. a lot of Zen literature has appeared confusing to me thus far, which is probably why i am here asking newbie questions and looking for help
    This idea that you sit and "bam" realize you are one with everything is no big deal, and misses the point. The point of practice is to be aware of whatever state is present, regardless of its content. The point is to see your attachment and aversion to whatever state is present. This is why there is this talk of frustration and boredom and not grasping for special states. Frustration and boredom are the last things you want to feel when sitting, yet if you are practicing correctly that is precisely the spot you must sit in, with no wiggling, no escape. You must get to know wanting this moment to feel different than it is, wanting this moment to be different than it is. Your practice is to reverse your flight from Dukkha, sit with it, and know it. Knowing that frustrated want is the key. See that want, and stay with it. Then the theory of Zen becomes practice. Then you can know freedom.

You would really benefit from a teacher, and the company of other practioners, because that will encourage you to sit through very difficult states of aversion.

sorry for the snarky post earlier, but this is the real deal chanratt
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    well, one thing i am trying to accomplish is to simply silence my mind and achieve a meditative state.

As others have said, many do not consider completely "silencing" the mind, by way of cutting off all thoughts and becoming free of thoughts or "blank," the goal of meditation. Oftentimes different translations lead to confusion, as some words in sutras may not have an English equivalent.

I think it is important to sit while being silent, and observing the mind, even if it is chaotic and noisy. The important part is recognizing these as transient thoughts. It is very good that you can recognize your uneasiness, your boredom. While you are meditating you should be aware of such things, as the purpose is to be fully present in the moment.

I've always felt it was very important to remember that becoming attached to meditative or "deep" states to be just as distracting as material or worldly attachments. If you have a profound meditative insight, look at it the same way you view your transient thoughts - observe and let go.

It seems like many people think of meditation like some superhuman ability - as though practicing will give you mental powers, make you a better person, or solve your problems. Your life is the same as before you started practicing, and your problems remain whether or not you're on the meditation cushion. (Note: In this example I use the terms "you" and "your" in a general sense, and not in a specific way.) The point is to become aware of these problems and face them, instead of using meditation as a distraction.

Some teachers have recommended starting with very short intervals of meditation - really short, like one or two minutes - and to continue practicing until it becomes easier to remain in meditation for longer periods of time.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010
    hasnt really bore any fruit and i end up just sitting there for the duration with thoughts swirling around making no progress.
    This is not actually true. Progress is still being made, even if one thinks it isn't. Because the fruit of practice, the "dharma fruit", grows on the very top of the tree. In order to pick to fruit you have to climb to the top of the tree first. It is false to say that one has made no progress just because you can't reach the fruit yet. Would it be correct to say that no progress has been made, if you are 1/2 way up the ladder? Of course not! You're 1/2 way up the ladder! But obviously, you can't pick the fruit if you are only 1/2 way up the ladder. Only a fool would jump off the ladder because they can't pick the fruit from 1/2 way up. :)
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited July 2010
    While I'm sure these issues have plagued new students of Buddhism for thousands of years, I think a lot of the problem with starting meditation practice from a modern society perspective stems from our infatuation with instant gratification in all things. Buy a book, learn to meditate (from the book), and *wham* - enlightenment (or stress relief, or whatever). Take a pill and get religion.

It's sort of like making good wine - it's just not something that can be rushed up in a day. It takes practice and patience. Grant me patience - NOW! :)

Mtns
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    well, one thing i am trying to accomplish is to simply silence my mind and achieve a meditative state. th progress i feel i am not making is that i am not achieving this nor am i getting a deeper understanding of the practice of zen

Oh dear one, don’t ever use the word "simply" when talking about meditation. There is nothing simple.

My teacher tells us that it takes a minimum of 6 months to start to get anywhere on meditation, and a lifetime to perfect it. So be patient ... "little bit by little bit" he says.

Another thing my teacher tells us is that everything ... everything ... is grist for the practice. You’re bored? Work with that. You’ve got a headache? Work with that.

If you had a teacher, they would tell you that everything is progressing as normal. Yes, it is always a good "next step" to find a teacher.
  • edited July 2010
    Hi,
    I'm not a Zen practitioner, but I've done breathing meditation.

In that practice, you gently bring the mind back again and again to the sensation of the breath.
    Distractions, like boredom or lack of inspiration, naturally arise and it is even good that they do, for it is an opportunity to train our mind in concentration. Gently bringing the mind back to the object of concentration IS the practice.

If we have a "good" session, where we concentrate easily, then this is nice. We get to experience some peace and it's good for our health. This is like a stroll in the park for our mind.

If we have a "bad" session, with lots of distractions, this is good too. This is where we learn how to direct our mind in the presence of pain, fear, etc. This is where we learn detachment and self-mastery. This is like weight-training for our mind.

I don't know if zazen is the same thing, but I hope this helps.
  • edited July 2010
    I just had a thought this morning about this- if you got into a relationship with a woman, or were attempting to establish a friendship that you were initially enthusiastic about, something like that- would you stop because it got boring? If you got married and made a commitment, would you leave that because it got boring? Consider this as making friends with primordial wisdom. What could be more important? The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited July 2010
    See it as a rollercoaster ride. There will be times when you go down, before you go up ;)
    edited July 2010
    some great and very helpful replies here. although i must point out, i never said i was bored. my problem is that i just want my mind to shut up...it doesnt give me a chance to get bored. but anyway, i get what all of you are saying, thanyou
    edited July 2010
    i never said i was bored.
    It will come.

May I just say that you cannot make your mind shut up. There is a skillful means for this... Don't shut up. Give your mind permission to flap in the wind all it needs to...blah blah blah blah. Make that your practice, just sit there and let your crazy hyper mind carry on. You have no choice short of anesthetic, which would make you dull. So you are doomed to this chattering mind being precisely what it is. Let it be what it is, Your job is to just sit there, sit still and let your mind go wild. Let it go wild, give it permission, watch yourself get sucked into thought then snap back to awareness of sitting there, over and over and over again.

This is sound instruction. My guess is you want something else though. So I won't offer anymore. If you want talk about it sometime, PM me.

In the mean time good luck ( without the snark this time:))
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Another thought, chanratt, when I have questions like this my mentors usually reply with some form of "meditate more". So if you're meditating 15-20 minutes and having problems trying meditating 20-25 minutes. Also, there is a monastery in my city where I can go meditate for 24 hours about once a month. Is such a resource available to you?
    edited July 2010
    skullchin wrote: »
    Another thought, chanratt, when I have questions like this my mentors usually reply with some form of "meditate more". So if you're meditating 15-20 minutes and having problems trying meditating 20-25 minutes. Also, there is a monastery in my city where I can go meditate for 24 hours about once a month. Is such a resource available to you?

yeah skull. i have actually been trying to up the time i practice. as for a place where i can mediate 24 hours, i dont think so though we do have a couple of zen centers. problem is i have 3 kids and find it a blessing that i can even get the time to meditate at all. I am going to consider all of the above advice and just keep it up