Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What brought you to Buddhism

edited September 2010 in Buddhism Today
I’ve had a quick look over the site and couldn’t find if someone has already asked this question so I thought I would.<O:p</O:p
I would love to read peoples stories on what brought them to Buddhism.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
For me personally I was building a temporary home for a client ( my husband and I are builders) and found the atmosphere there sublime.<O:p</O:p
Each day I couldn’t wait to get there to work, the couple seemed to radiate happiness and you couldn’t help but be affected by it.<O:p</O:p
In our lunch break chats I found out that they were both Buddhists and this lead me to find out about the middle path on my own time, and I haven’t looked back.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
So if you have a spare minute and feel so inclined I’d love to read your stories.<O:p</O:p

Comments

• edited July 2010
    After some stressful experience and years in the military. My experiences of pain and suffering and a few attempts at pulling a trigger. I was wanting something more in my life and was just exhausted from suffering. Buddhism just came into thought. I started going deeper into it and my journey to enlightenment has only just begun. But these past few weeks has seemed lighter and I am happier. Now I found a Temple a few miles from my house and now look forward to going there. I just need the courage to go in there because it is so different than what I am used to.
  • edited July 2010
    For years, actually since I was in my early teens ( I am 60 now ) I suspected that I was not getting the "real truth". I was raised a Catholic and was taught that man was the center of the universe and that everthing in the universe was here for man.
    As young teenager I used to spend time by myself in the woods or at the creek. From those experiences I began to develope a sense of the "oneness" and "interbeing" of everything I observed. This was contrary to the values of the world I was living in.
    When I was forty I developed an interest in growing Bonsai trees. This was where my "search" began. Once again I began to sense the" inter-relatedness" of all aspects of nature. My search led my to Buddhism.

Gregg
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I started boxing when I was 19 or so. After a year the techniques kinda got too basic for me and I wanted to pick up an martial art too. Somehow I got to tai chi, I guess I liked the name and the serenity of the slow movements in contradiction to the somewhat brutal aspects of boxing. Through tai chi I learned meditation, standing meditation, walking meditation and the tai chi forms ofcourse. I wanted to learn more about meditation, the cultural backgrounds and such, so I stubmled upon Zen. Purely Zen was not my thing, but in the 3 euro book there was also the mentioning of zen-buddhism and I liked that a lot more. From that point on I slowly started to read more about zen-buddhism and buddhism in general. Going on forums to read and discuss. The beggings weren't easy, most of my fundaments as a human being we're shooked, accepting suffering etc....I can see now I was way to serieus about everything,

This and I am a person of extremes and contradictions, i've searched as long as I can remember for something to keep my grounded and content about myself and my life. I've tried drugs, friends, hardcore gaming, all sorts of things just to keep some peace of mind. Nothing ofcourse worked, till I found buddhism. Slowly, bit by bit i'm more confortable in my own skin and I'm starting too like life more and more, suffering included.

I quit tai chi about two years ago, just boxing nowadys and daily meditations.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I started remember liking Buddhism as a real young guy... probly like 12. Then at about 16 I read a book a guy wrote about his life as a young punk and drug addict who ended up learning meditation from his father and got clean and right into Buddhism. There were meditation instructions in the book so I tried it persistantly.

Then I read about the noble truths and impermanence and thought Oohhh, the Buddha figured this path would lead one to the end of suffering did he? Yeah... I'm like 90% sure it does after trying it.

That's my story.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited July 2010
    GreggG wrote: »
    As young teenager I used to spend time by myself in the woods or at the creek. From those experiences I began to develope a sense of the "oneness" and "interbeing" of everything I observed. This was contrary to the values of the world I was living in.
    When I was forty I developed an interest in growing Bonsai trees. This was where my "search" began. Once again I began to sense the" inter-relatedness" of all aspects of nature. My search led my to Buddhism.

Gregg

That sounds nice.
  • edited July 2010
    Hey there,

The first time I heard of buddhism came from a documentary about H.H. the Dalai Lama. I was probably about 12 years old back then. I grew up without any kind of religious upbringing. Never went to church, never read the bible or any other religious texts until my puberty. While I had the preconceived notion that all religion was filled with superstition and dogma, I also found that I should research it for myself.

So during my puberty I read the Bible, the Satanic Bible by Anton Lavey, the Tao Te Ching, The Tibitan book of the dead, and "Open your heart" from H.H.the D.L ,and I remember being drawn to both Buddhism and Taoism, but was never ready to fully comit myself into studying them.

Now, being 20 years of age and studying to become a social worker, I've had many up' s and downs. My internship, working with refugees was very stressfull and I failed to show that I could handle the stress. I didn't show enough, internal rest. I love working with people and I did good work, but the stress was to much for me to handle. I hope that practicing meditation and understanding buddhist philosophy will help me coping with stressful situations. So, here I am

Peace,

Dirk
  • edited July 2010
    My mother.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2010
    *snap!!* :D
  • edited July 2010
    When I was a little kid I liked taking stuff apart to find out how it worked. Later, I guess around 13 or 14 I read a book on meditation and it got me interested in how the mind works. After several years, being someone who experiences suffering, I started reading more about Buddhism and I became interested in how suffering works. So I've begun a daily meditation practice to learn more about it.

That's the cold sterile side of the story I guess, but anything else that brought me to Buddhism is difficult to put into words really.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I read a book called "Be Here Now" by some hippy. :lol:

P
  • edited July 2010
    After losing faith in human kind, I began to ask myself why do people treat other people so badly and I remembered somebody saying to me many years ago, that we should feel sorry for those that harm others. I began to look into this a little deeper and found Buddhism.
    Now I understand that it is people's delusions that make them harm others and that we should show them compassion and love.
  • edited July 2010
    At first I was turned away from it because of the dalai lama, i assumed he spoke for most of the buddhist world and i had already read the history of the dalai lama (full of oppression and scum). But after going through and researching every religion but the asian ones (Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Paganism or the old religions), i started to look at Taoism and Buddhism. I learned that real buddhism didnt worship buddha (i thought they did because of seeing how ppl like in laos vietnam and thailand worshipped him) and that it had alot of practices that were actually useful. Ive been meditating and practicing mindfulness for a month or two and i already see the difference in my behaviour, actions, and way of thinking. Also as i was researching online about it, i came across this funny saying "you never see a buddhist kill for their religion" lol. Also i got a couple of books that really helped me to learn what buddhism really was, like buddhism for dummies, thich nhat hanhs the heart of the buddhas teaching, and a few dl'able pdf books. Its the one religion that, if practiced correctly, will actually help you become a better person (but unlike other religions that rely soley on a god "alcoholics anonymous* for example, this one you have to put in the effort to get anything out of it, so i like to call the other religions, the religion of the lazy ppl lol). Not to say that the abrahamic religions dont help, but all the values and virtues that come from the bible or quran, we CAN and i personally think we did (lol) come up with them from using our own minds. As far as prayer goes, its just another form of meditation.
  • edited July 2010
    I came to Buddhism as a result of hearing the Dalai Lama talking in India.
    I was not aware that these public teachings were on but went along to see HH.
    I was firstly taken by how peaceful he looked.
    As I listened to HH and later spoke with monks I found myself drawn to learn more about Buddhism.
    It just seemed to make so much sense to me.
    Eventually I began visiting countries like Thailand and Myanmar,attending temples and learning meditation.
    I have called myself Buddhist for about eight years now,and although I practice in the Theravada tradition(different strokes for different folks)I greatly respect the other traditions and the Tibetan tradition and HH have a special place in my heart for first showing the path to me.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Suffering, and having nothing else truly address it's source. I was always trying to figure out the ultimate nature of the universe, then realized it wasn't having the answer that counted, it was the peace of mind and heart that would come with the answer. Buddhism puts aside the question and deals directly with the lack of peace in mind and heart.
    The funny thing is once the mind and heart are at peace, the question disappears.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Oh yeah, I've answered this more than once before, but here it is:

I got into Buddhism, because a Tibetan Tulku blessed me at same moment that his death occurred over 1,000 miles away. Had a witness with me, saw it too. Too strange, unexplained. I decided that maybe it would be a good idea to go to a Tibetan Buddhist society in my city. That was over 10 years ago. Still going.
  • edited July 2010
    I was between classes in college one night, so I hung out in the library (one of my favorite places!). I just wandered the aisles and got into the world religions section. I thought, "I've always wanted to know more about Buddhism..." so I picked out a book by the Dalai Lama called "How to Practice." I ended up checking the book out and taking it home. Then I ended up purchasing it... and that's how it started :) I've been slowly learning about it for... holy cow must be three years now (!!) and I'm not very far. I'm not a very consistent meditator. But the great thing about Buddhism is the forgiveness and ability to reboot :)
    edited July 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    Suffering, and having nothing else truly address it's source. I was always trying to figure out the ultimate nature of the universe, then realized it wasn't having the answer that counted, it was the peace of mind and heart that would come with the answer. Buddhism puts aside the question and deals directly with the lack of peace in mind and heart.
    The funny thing is once the mind and heart are at peace, the question disappears.

NIce one...
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited July 2010
    It is interesting to see everyone's unique path that lead to buddhism. The causes that brought me to this point happened around 18 months ago. It was in fact a multitude of things and a gradual process.
    I was slowly becoming angry and depressed in my life due to dissatisfaction. I was at university and had a lengthy period consisting of about 6 years where I experimented with various substances. I disliked the general mentality of the country I was in, how everything was so money orientated and selfish. How many people were shallow and materialistic but I just knew at this point I did not like what I saw.
    One day I watched a film with my flat mate, 'spring summer autumn winter.' Maybe some of you are familiar with this movie? It is about a buddhist monk who teaches a boy through the many years of their life. It is quite profound and has little dialogue. I was instantly captivated and intrigued. I was an atheist before hand and had always disregarded religion.
    I began to read into some of the teachings and found that it was a lot deeper than I had expected. It had a lot of logic, many interesting teachings and made a lot of sense to me.
    I have made a small amount of progress from that point but have learned quite a lotof valuable aspects to life. It has taught me patience, compassion, to lead an honest and pure life. It has shown to me that all religions are in fact essential in society and should not be disregarded, and many other things as the list would continue on and on.

Tom :)
    edited July 2010
    'spring summer autumn winter.'

it's on my shelve :) beautiful movie, definitely inspired me too keep up the practise,
  • edited July 2010
    Looking back on my life, I always have held a belief that we were not seeing the whole picture and that, come to find out, I held many Buddhist beliefs. In college I had a class on death and dying. We had to come up with a graphic representation of death for one assignment. I forgot all about it until the day that the project was due. Once I got to class and learned what was going on I dashed to the bathroom and grabbed an empty toilet paper roll as my graphic representation. I held the roll up and said that the it represented the "tube of life" and that we entered the tube upon conception and left it at the time of our death. What we "were" before we were conceived is contained in the same space as what we "are" after we die (the endless space outside of the tube). Others are passing through the same tube with us and this is what is known as our world.
    Life went on for me after this and I started to read about Buddhism after I had a heart attack in 2007. I found that the Dhammapada offered wisdom that surpassed both science and religion and resonated with me as pointing out truths that I had known all my life (but didn't know it at the time, if that makes sense).
    About a year ago I began practicing meditation and have found new meaning in myself, my relationships and my life.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010
    "There has to be something more to life than this, because this sucks."

Then I encountered Buddhism at the library, specifically Zen Buddhism. It was a story about some guy putting a shoe on his head. I said "well that is just plain ridiculous!", and dismissed it. Then looked at other eastern religions, then at other types of Buddhism. Nothing really fit. Then came back to the guy with the shoe on his head and said "Hmm, what does that really mean? It can't just be stupid nonsense." Turns out, it's not. Although it certainly appears that way at first!:D
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I went through a really rough patch this spring with a breakup and mental health issues. Despite trying to "fix" myself with exercise, proper nutrition, medications, various therapies, I found that the only way for me to change into someone I am more proud of was to ACCEPT myself exactly where I was. A friend lent me Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach, which reminded me that all the really blissful times in my life have been when I paid attention to my Spirit rather than to my physical form. I've always believed in life energy as something bigger than myself, and Buddhism works with everything I believe and hold dear. I needed to take some serious time to let go of craving and accept all that happens as manifestation of life's creative energy. And accept that we're all one, all the creation of that life energy. Had to let go of making myself so BIG. I'm still learning and really don't even call myself a Buddhist, but have found dharma talks and Buddhist meditation techniques to be the most helpful in my spiritual path.
  • edited July 2010
    federica wrote: »
    *snap!!* :D
    Snap! is right.
    She is a cool lady.
    edited July 2010
    I had a few mental health issues also treeluvr, along side a hefty breakup that was beyond my or her power to be honest. This combined with dissatisfaction of my life general and the surroundings within it, also an excellent movie edged me on the dharma train :) Personally I find that exercise and nutrition goes hand in hand with a healthy mind, but that is just my point of view. I am still trying to work out how monks manage to be healthy with one or 2 meals a day and no food beyond midday... :/
    I still have a trace of issues within my mind that I need to sort out and confront with time, I have been studying them and listening to teachings with relation to these problems from a buddhist point of view. But it is hard to change your life, especially your mind. Most probably one of the hardest things to do in life. You seem to be getting on really well with your issues by the sound of things, it is encouraging to see, tom :)
  • yuriythebestyuriythebest Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I used to think of myself as a christian, however the more I found out about it the more disillusioned I became. Buddhism just felt so much better, so much more just. However I soon realised - can we just choose what we believe based on how things feel? Shouldn't we do more research and be more reasonable? because if you believe something "just cause it sounds good" what does that say about you? needless to say now I'm an atheist :)
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I had a few mental health issues also treeluvr, along side a hefty breakup that was beyond my or her power to be honest. This combined with dissatisfaction of my life general and the surroundings within it, also an excellent movie edged me on the dharma train :) Personally I find that exercise and nutrition goes hand in hand with a healthy mind, but that is just my point of view. I am still trying to work out how monks manage to be healthy with one or 2 meals a day and no food beyond midday... :/
    I still have a trace of issues within my mind that I need to sort out and confront with time, I have been studying them and listening to teachings with relation to these problems from a buddhist point of view. But it is hard to change your life, especially your mind. Most probably one of the hardest things to do in life. You seem to be getting on really well with your issues by the sound of things, it is encouraging to see, tom :)

Thanks for the encouragement, Tom! And which movie edged you onto the train? I'm always looking for some uplifting flicks.
    edited July 2010
    I watched the movie 'spring summer autumn' which is about a monk and his student who live in total isolation in a beauty location which is in tibet. It isn't so much uplifting, I would say it is profound and beautiful maybe, worth a watch for sure. Even more so if you are buddhist, you can learn a few things from it, well I did lol.

Also if you want to have an 'uplifting nudge' then maybe take a look at some of the talks ajahn brahm gives on youtube, very inspiring in my opinion :)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhistSocietyWA#p/u/23/LmlQ9qGomG0
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I read a book called "Advice on dying and Living a better life" written by HHDL and Jeffery Hopkins. I was going through a stressful time in my life and I was really looking for some purpose and direction. The book really opened my eyes about the true nature of reality and the purpose of life. Really inspirational stuff and I never looked back since.

metta to all sentient beings:)
  • edited August 2010
    Religious dogma for one. Always liked sitting alone in the woods much better than singing in church.
  • PaisleyPaisley Explorer
    edited August 2010
    My mom was a religious nut. She was christian, and by nut I mean she was also a huge pot head and somehow also a devout christian. I was super obsessed with the christian church all throughout my teenage years until I hit college. To give you an idea about my mother, she believes that my speech delayed nephew is speaking the tongues of Christ.

Anyway, I had a professor who taught philosophy and she told us that she had been a catholic nun for years before switching to be a Buddhist. Her life stories always intrigued me and over the course of ten years I'd find that Buddhism would pop back up into my life at random intervals.

Last year I finally decided that because Buddhism had been appearing in my life that it was obvious that that was the path I should choose. It feels right to me. I haven't looked back since.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Well, I was raised a Catholic and in Yr 11 we studied different faiths, Buddhism being one of them. I found it really interesting and read bits and pieces here and there and went on my merry way into Wicca and Paganism.

I got cancer at 21 and found that while I had a strong faith in Wicca, the Buddha's teachings and meditation centred and calmed me while I was undergoing my treatment. In the years that have passed (14 years) I have always had an ebb and flow effect with Buddhism. I would cling to it while the going got tough, then tended to relax my practise in the "good times". About six months ago I decided I needed to really commit to having a daily practise ALL the time.

And that's what I've been trying to do (with varying degrees of success).

Namaste,
    Raven
  • edited August 2010
    I was raised a Jehovah's Witness, and at 23 i decided it wasnt for me (im 31 now). Found a little book of Buddha sayings for everyday the other day in a thrift store...and voila I am learning everyday. But it isnt as simple as that. I have studied religions for years,mythology etc... but nothing stuck out like this. This is truth.
  • edited August 2010
    You'd laugh if I told you the truth.

Stripping the Gurus.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I was raised a Jehovah's Witness, and at 23 i decided it wasnt for me (im 31 now). Found a little book of Buddha sayings for everyday the other day in a thrift store...and voila I am learning everyday. But it isnt as simple as that. I have studied religions for years,mythology etc... but nothing stuck out like this. This is truth.

I was a Jehovah's Witness too, but I was not raised one. I hope getting out did not cause you much suffering.

I was in a different group before I came to Buddhism. I was experiencing suffering in it and noticed that others were as well. A friend of mine, who was not in the group, asked me if I wanted to go listened to Thich Nhat Hanh speak in San Diego. I went with her and noticed immeditately the peace that he had and his compassion. I was impressed. When I left the yogic group that I was in I went the same day to Deer Park and lo and behold he was there. When he walked into the room tears formed in my eyes. I didn't stay with his group but went to another, and when my husband and I moved away and I left the practice. there are no Buddhist groups here, but I still found a teacher, so I have returned to Buddhism.

That movie, Spring, Summer, Winter and Fall (order may be wrong) is one of the best movies. I own it. It is not only inspiring but beautiful as well.
  • sandysandy Explorer
    edited August 2010
    I can't remember exactly where, but someone recommended the book Dharma Punx. I read it and decided to learn more about Buddhism to go along with the book and something clicked. Actually, lots of things clicked and here I am.

I'm enjoying reading these stories as well, 1,000 different beginnings for 1,000 different people :).
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Christianity. :\
  • edited August 2010
    Personal suffering ... and hunger for Truth.
  • edited August 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    Christianity. :\

i heard that, and said amen.

Is Christianity that bad? or disappointing? ive noticed alot of people here have been once christians and have changed. I was, (well...sometimes i wonder if I would call Jw's christians in the same sense as say..Catholics?) and i was really disappointed,hurt,and felt a echo in my brain when I prayed to god. (forgive me..i have a weird way of saying things)
  • edited August 2010
    My parents are Taoist, still is and they pray to Kuan Yin. When I was younger I was only brought to temple once a year during Wesak Day. Other than praying for good health and good test results, I do not know who is Buddha and why Buddhism.

I was exposed to Buddhism education when I went to college (Buddhist club) and I instantly got hooked. Perhaps it was because of interest in science (I am an engineer) thus I like to understand facts and I love to control my own life and path. Buddha taught us to think for ourselves and choose what is right and what is wrong. I love Him thus I chose to follow his teachings.

Buddha bless.

---
    www.d-kidz.com (The First Story Based English Children Buddhist Songs)
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited August 2010
    i heard that, and said amen.

Is Christianity that bad? or disappointing? ive noticed alot of people here have been once christians and have changed. I was, (well...sometimes i wonder if I would call Jw's christians in the same sense as say..Catholics?) and i was really disappointed,hurt,and felt a echo in my brain when I prayed to god. (forgive me..i have a weird way of saying things)

I don't think it's Christianity the teachings of Jesus that are bad or disappointing (my own personal belief is that Jesus is a great Boddhisattva), but rather the PEOPLE who twist the teachings, "run" the church and mislead those who do not have the impetus to seek for themselves the true meanings of Jesus' teachings.

My own personal view is that today's Christianity should be rename the Churchian path. Far too many people get hung up on what the "Church" wants and says rather than what Jesus taught.

In Metta,
    Raven
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited August 2010
    While I can't remember the specific sequence of events that brought me to Buddhism I do remember why I keep coming back to Buddhism. Buddhism is like a rare treasure chest full of precious (three) jewels which are 1) not easy to find in the world, 2) unequalled in value. Every time I stray from the Path I appreciate the teachings even more the next time I remember to put them into practice. I smile and think "The Buddha was right again!"
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited August 2010
    13 years of exploring different faiths.

I discovered Buddhism several years ago, but dismissed it in favour of theism. I think it just took me a while to realise that theism doesn't really make sense, or at least offers no real practical help to life's problems. So I started exploring Buddhism again.
  • edited August 2010
    I am trying to learn more about buddhism because I see the world today fights,lies,cheats,and steals all in the name of government and sometime even religion. I do believe in God and I do pray sometime,but I want to live my life to the fullest.I want to know what I stand for as a person inside and out is not causing war and conflict around the world. Knowing that the people that support my beliefs feel the same way puts me in a state of mind that helps me control my thoughts and my actions.So my goal is to control who is around me to help control my mind and actions until I can do that on my own.
  • edited August 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    "There has to be something more to life than this, because this sucks."

Then I encountered Buddhism at the library, specifically Zen Buddhism. It was a story about some guy putting a shoe on his head. I said "well that is just plain ridiculous!", and dismissed it. Then looked at other eastern religions, then at other types of Buddhism. Nothing really fit. Then came back to the guy with the shoe on his head and said "Hmm, what does that really mean? It can't just be stupid nonsense." Turns out, it's not. Although it certainly appears that way at first!:D

Bahaha, i love this!!

I came across Buddhism when I was a kid. I always knew i was a creature of nature, believed everything happened because of how you treated others, and always had this big knot in my heart that grew when i couldn't help people...someone asked me once, If I was a Buddhist, and I didn't know what it meant...i did some research, saw it as interesting but never pursued it.

Recently I had been going through some struggles personally, feeling anger, and feeling like I was destroying myself. I gained a bunch of weight, lost it, gained it again, lost it again..Then i had a surgery, and felt worse than I ever had in my life..just really down and I started blaming people for things that happed my past that they didn't even know about. Just when I thought everyone had given up on me, a friend (who i wasn't even REALLY close to at the time) told me to try meditating, and helping myself. She told me she was a Buddhist, and helped me through my struggles with Buddhism, since then i've been happy, free, and light..problems still come and go, but at least I can see the bigger picture now, and can manage them appropriately. I guess its safe to say Buddhism found me...Twice :)
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I don't think it's Christianity the teachings of Jesus that are bad or disappointing (my own personal belief is that Jesus is a great Boddhisattva), but rather the PEOPLE who twist the teachings, "run" the church and mislead those who do not have the impetus to seek for themselves the true meanings of Jesus' teachings.

My own personal view is that today's Christianity should be rename the Churchian path. Far too many people get hung up on what the "Church" wants and says rather than what Jesus taught.

In Metta,
    Raven
    Speaking as a former catholic , I couldn't agree more with you dhammachick. The actual moral and ethical messages that are taught in the Bible are not that far from that taught by Buddha ( though admittedly there are some key differences), it is how the Bibles teachings have been misused throughout history that is a scandal for the church.

Metta to all sentient beings
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited August 2010
    a fish on a bicycle......
  • edited August 2010
    I've pretty much always been looking for truth above all else. My mother tells the story of me at a very young age absolutely grilling her about Santa and insisting that she tell me the truth about him. Well not a huge leap from Santa not existing to god not existing so i made myself an atheist for a long time. Still am, really, as i don't believe in anything mystical in that sense.

But the more i looked at my own mind, the more i researched the ideas that i was interested in, the more i learned about myself and the world, the more i kept bumping up against Buddhism. I kept having coincidences involving Buddhism or i'd say "you know, it really seems to me that x, y, z etc" and someone would say "oh, that's a really Buddhist thing to say."

Eventually I looked into Buddhism directly and the talk in my mind as i learned more about the ideas behind it ran something like this "ya. ya. right. right. right. of course. ya. Hm. I've always been a Buddhist and never known it!" I already thought most of what i was learning, it was fabulous. it felt like coming home, but better.
  • edited August 2010
    ok, ill bite....
    what brought me to Buddhism....
    several years ago, sometime in the early '90's, i bought a book by the improbably named author christmas humphrees, the wisdom of Buddhism.
    because i had never heard anything about it before, when i got to the part about suffering, i got quite turned off by it.
    a handful of years later, i began reading books on wicca/paganism. must have found something there, because i studied/practiced, but mostly read about it for the next 13 years or so. nothing really serious, because with each book i read, it seemed i either needed more supplies or more of an understanding of astrology for it to be effective. for about the last 3-4 years, i tried to find a tradition that reflected more of what i really was looking for. no success, of course.
    April 2010
    by chance, i heard about the pbs movie, the buddha. a couple of days befor that, i looked up some things online about it. read that suffering is not 'suffering'. watched the movie, loved it. bought the spring issue of the buddhadharma, and read about theravada buddhism and a monastery in california, abhayagiri, in the tradition of ajahn chah. got a book called 'the island', which was excerpted in the magazine. downloaded almost all of the pdf books they had. so far, so great!
    admittedly, i'm a bit obsessed right now. i've also found a retreat center here in michigan in the thai forest tradition. i'm getting set to go there next weekend. so i think iv'e finally found that which i've been searching for all these years. there's so much more i want to say, but for now, i won't.
  • edited August 2010
    Simple: psilocybin mushrooms.

During a trip I experienced ego death and timeless states that I could not understand. In my search to make some sense of it, I stumbled upon the works of Alan Watts, and then Zen Buddhism.

It's too bad that the topic of psychedelics is censored on this forum.
  • edited August 2010
    admittedly, i'm a bit obsessed right now. i've also found a retreat center here in michigan in the thai forest tradition. i'm getting set to go there next weekend. so i think iv'e finally found that which i've been searching for all these years. there's so much more i want to say, but for now, i won't.

The Thai Forest tradition is great ! Go for it my friend, you won't be disappointed.

:)