Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New friend of you ,.... hello

edited August 2010 in Faith & Religion
Hello friends........

I'd intorduce my self to you and I want you not to be astonished by sharing you in this forum .........

My name is Bassam Eldrubi - Syria

I'm Muslim

I hope to take a look on your religion , and I hope you to tell me more , because as we ( muslems ) know that buda is a good person and so much helped poor .

I would like to give you a quick view of my religion ( not as it's seen by American or western eyes .

My religion call us to worship one God who is ( Allah ) .

My prophet is Mohammad (the massenger of Allah )

My book is the holey Quraan .

Islam's instrucions is ( don't lie , don't kill any body , don't steal , sympathise with women , children and elders ) .
The instuctions that was revealed in the holey quraan are considered a full constitution for every thing in the life , they help you to build a great state and to be fair ruler on your people .

Quraan ( the book of islam ) has lots of the scientific miracles that wasn't achieved before , but the now science has discovered many of them , in this book ( for more than 1400 year ) Allah told as the stages of creating human being ( from sprem until becoming a man/woman ) , in this reverse , Allah explained which organ is created first ( bone or the flesh ) which wasn't discover until 100 year before now .

Islam doesn't discorn religions , all of people have the right to live independetly but not affecting other's freedom .

sorry for long explanation .

I hope to have friends her to share the good charactaristics

Bassam Eldrubi

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Hi, Bassam! Welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing about Islam. Islam's image has suffered in recent decades, due to extremists and terrorists; but at its heart, it has some good values.

All religions have part of the truth, because spirituality is a universal urge among humanity: we are all seeking the truth in our own way.

Buddhism isn't a typical "religion," because it's not about worshiping a "god": it's about freeing yourself, with your own ability.

That's a wonderfully inspiring message: we can free ourselves from suffering.

The other cool thing about Buddhism is that you can be any religion--Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, etc.--and still practice Buddhism, still follow it. Buddhism doesn't clash with any other system, it's quite unique!

Welcome, friend! :)
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Welcome Bassam

Thanks for sharing. I agree with Zendo that Islam has suffered greatly at the hands of many people everywhere with their own political and ideological agendas. But believe me when I tell you, there are lots of Americans and others elsewhere who understand what Islam is truly about and who don't believe everything we hear on TV or read on the internet. I have many Muslim friends, and have nothing but fond memories of my travels in the Islamic world.

Salaam aleikum my friend,

Mtns
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Heya and welcome...

Islam sounds like a kind compassionate religion....

excellent!!
  • edited July 2010
    Many thanks my friends :
    dear zendo , mountains , iamthezenmaster , Any religion can't be represented by any one .
    ]if you want to know it you have to see the origin of this religion .
    I hope to clarify something for you ;
    Islam has come to move humanity from worshipping stones , rocks , people , to worshipping the lord of heavens .
    Islam frees you from fables and makes you a realistic one .
    Islam respects all of religions .
    As for meditation , the common thing between us , Allah ordered us to meditate to see the miracles of creating people , animals , heavens , earths and it's nature .
    Islam taught us to depend on Allah in everything , not paying attention to anything else , this thing makes you sure of your self .
    Islam consider those who pretend islam non-Muslims if they ( rape , steal , kill , misjudge , lie ) Islam has nothing confusing the mind , when someone read the Quraan he will find the linguistic and scientific miracles , and he will unconsciously be sailed in these great verses which everybody is adviced to read .
    Islam oreders us to clean up our selves after making sex with the wife , and clean ( head , face , hands , feet ) five times a day when you pray .
    some of prohet's says :
    Muslim is non-Muslim if he slept while his neighbour is hungry .
    You won't be believer despite you love for others what you love for your self .
    What makes you to get high scales are your morals
    Muslim doesn't lie nor does he steal .
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2010
    bassam, two things.

Please type in an ordinary manner. Don't make your typeface bigger or bolder, it's not necessary.

Secondly, it is very kind of you to provide such information about the Qu'ran, but perhaps you might also care to ask any questions about Buddhism?

A Buddhist would not enter a Muslim forum and begin to teach established members about Buddhism without being requested or invited to do so.
    It is not the polite thing to do.
    Would you like to find out more about what we practice?

Please feel free to make any enquiries about Buddhism, and we will be happy to clarify...
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I don't see the big deal. I didn't read it as proselytizing but more as an introduction of himself so we know where he's coming from. He expressed respect for our beliefs and a desire to learn more. I don't see it as him being impolite at all... :\
  • edited July 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    I didn't read it as proselytizing but more as an introduction of himself so we know where he's coming from.

Seconded.

Salam aleykum, bassam.

There is sometimes reference here to the similarities between Sufism and Buddhism, especially by way of the works of Jalaladin Rumi.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2010
    I don't see the big deal. I didn't read it as proselytizing but more as an introduction of himself so we know where he's coming from. He expressed respect for our beliefs and a desire to learn more. I don't see it as him being impolite at all... :\

I never said he was proselytising. I merely pointed out his approach was unusual, and that in reverse it wouldn't happen.

And if he wants to learn more, then perhaps we can respond in kind....

Carry on. :)
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I merely pointed out his approach was unusual, and that in reverse it wouldn't happen.

Haha I wouldn't be so sure. xD
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Hello Bassam.
  • edited July 2010
    Hello and welcome, Bassam. :)
    bassam wrote: »
    .... Islam has come to move humanity from worshipping stones, rocks, people, to worshipping the lord of heavens.....

Talking about worshipping "stones", etc... could you say something about the "black stone" (Alhajar Al-Aswad) which is presently embedded in the southeastern corner of the Kaba. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that muslims touch and kiss the black stone during Hajj but non-Muslims are strictly forbidden to even touch it. Why is this stone revered thus?

Kind regards,
    Sukhita
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Hi Bassam, welcome to the forum.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Welcome, It's wonderful to see a Muslim on the forum :)

Nickidoodle Jellybean
    edited August 2010
    federica wrote: »
    bassam, two things.

Please type in an ordinary manner. Don't make your typeface bigger or bolder, it's not necessary.

Secondly, it is very kind of you to provide such information about the Qu'ran, but perhaps you might also care to ask any questions about Buddhism?

A Buddhist would not enter a Muslim forum and begin to teach established members about Buddhism without being requested or invited to do so.
    It is not the polite thing to do.
    Would you like to find out more about what we practice?

Please feel free to make any enquiries about Buddhism, and we will be happy to clarify...

We're all learning aren't we? If that was me I'd be offended...

Nickidoodle Jellybean
    edited August 2010
    It was only his second post
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Islam's instrucions is ( don't lie , don't kill any body , don't steal , sympathise with women , children and elders ) .

Bassam,

I was particularly struck by this line, and wonder if you would go into some detail about it. When it says we should sympathize with women, children and elders, I wonder why there is an exclusion of men? Is the audience of the Qu'ran specifically male? Are men not supposed to have sympathy for other men? Why are women put into the same 'category' as children and elders?

I've often wondered why Muslim cultures and beliefs seem to setup inequality and gender subjugation. What are your thoughts on this?

With warmth,

Matt
    edited August 2010
    My thoughts exactly, and I have more judgements, but I didn't want to appear hostile...

Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Hi bassam,

I came to buddhism because a difficult time in my life. I remain because the teachings have been effective at having a good outlook. I have sensed an improvement.

In the mahayana teaching there is the belief in the buddha nature. It is like a pure and good and wholesome nature. But unfortunately we are always greedy and angry and avoiding the truth.

Buddhism is about uncovering the truth and overcoming the anger and greed!

Welcome :wavey:
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I didn't read it as proselytizing
    It'll come.

...judging mind.:o
  • edited August 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Hello Bassam.

I entered this forum as a friend , first of all I wanted to give you all some iformation about myself in order no to be unknown one .

Women and men are equal in islam , each has rights and duties . But our prophet told us to take much care of women because they are weak .
  • edited August 2010
    sukhita wrote: »
    Hello and welcome, Bassam. :)

Talking about worshipping "stones", etc... could you say something about the "black stone" (Alhajar Al-Aswad) which is presently embedded in the southeastern corner of the Kaba. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that muslims touch and kiss the black stone during Hajj but non-Muslims are strictly forbidden to even touch it. Why is this stone revered thus?

Kind regards,
    Sukhita

Dear , we don't worship the black stone in Ka'ba , when you kiss something or love it is not the meaning of worshipping it . We kiss it because our prohet kissed it .

Any way this stone is from paradise , a scientific researsh on this stone showed the miracles of it's ability on saving a huge bases of data
    edited August 2010
    I entered this forum as a friend , first of all I wanted to give you all some iformation about myself in order no to be unknown one .

Women and men are equal in islam , each has rights and duties . But our prophet told us to take much care of women because they are weak .

In what way, precisely?
    I am intrigued.
    Physically, women may be weaker than men, but I have also met very weak men - both physically and emotionally. So in what way would the prophet deem women as weak, today, particularly as women are seen as equal to men?
    (. . .)
    Any way this stone is from paradise, a scientific researsh on this stone showed the miracles of it's ability on saving a huge bases of data

Could you provide reference to this scientific research, please?
    Just to clarify - it is a basic requirement here that when such comments or assertions are made - by any member - it is prerequisite that they provide a quoted reference to the statement, or a web link, in order to support the statement.
  • edited August 2010

Any way this stone is from paradise , a scientific researsh on this stone showed the miracles of it's ability on saving a huge bases of data

Well, that does it for me.
    This whole personal responsibility and striving for liberation through exhausting our own negative emotions and thought patterns nonsense is for the birds.
    So long Buddha, hello paradise stone!!!
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Welcome Bassam,

Briefly, Buddhism is a practice to free ourselves from suffering. The Buddha taught that the only one who can free us is ourselves. Therefore, it does not matter if God exists. Many Buddhists are atheists and this does not interfere with the practice of Buddhism because belief in God is not necessary in Buddhism.

And the Buddha is not God. The Buddha is the teacher, and we show respect for the teacher. But it is not worshipping, just like kissing your stone is not worshipping.

Buddhists do not attach importance to miracles .. the only miracle that is worthwhile is the miracle of free ourselves from suffering. And that's not a miracle ... it's WORK.

But, like Islam, like Christianity, like Hinduism, Buddhism also has rules for kindness and generosity. The reason is slightly different ... it's not because God wants us to behave like that, but because the way to freedom includes dropping our self-absorption and our attitude of self-importance.
  • edited August 2010
    I hope this thread continues for a while. I shall be watching it with interest. I've done my own studies of Islam, and I must admit I have serious reservations about it. (Well, that's actually an understatement but if I gave my true opinions I'd probably be banned from this forum.) Historically, Muslims have not treated Buddhists well and it is they who were mostly responsible for driving Buddhism out of India in ancient times.

I have, however, gotten to know a handful of Muslims rather well in the past. Despite my reservations about their religion I cannot deny they were good people. So I can say from experience that there are definitely some good apples in the bunch. And where there are a few, there are probably more.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I think what started as a nice introduction, has turned into Islam being "sold" to us. I agree when Fede said the OP should demonstrate some interest in Buddhism or else risk coming off as an Islam zealot.
    edited August 2010
    Thank you.
    Members should be mindful that it's my job to watch this forum and show more caution than appears at first necessary.
    if matters are permitted to ride, and they get out of hand, Moderators still get criticised for not dealing with the problem 'earlier'.

Cracking on.....
  • edited August 2010
    if you want our honored guest to stop talking about Islam, then stop asking him questions about Islam.

Peace
    edited August 2010
    how can it be equal if you're treated differently?
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I too agree with Fede, and thought her first post was beautifully constructed. This IS a forum for the sharing of Buddhism, not for the sharing is Islam.
    edited August 2010

Welcome again. :)
    edited August 2010
    Just a note, faith is a virtuous quality of mind that leads to pleasent pastures, It is unwise to destroy someones faith on the basis of a set of differing beleifs :)
    If one wishes to debate certain aspects of doctrine of a validity from logic and reason then it is good to do so.
  • edited August 2010
    "..how can it be equal if you're treated differently? ...

Even in Buddhism, men and women are considered equal in that both can achieve enlightenment, yet, I know that many Buddhist temples do not 'view' men and women as equals and definitely does not 'treat' them equally.

Personally, I think it is a result of history, culture and tradition.... but that is only my opinion.

peace.
  • edited August 2010
    hello wrote: »
    "..how can it be equal if you're treated differently? ...

Even in Buddhism, men and women are considered equal in that both can achieve enlightenment, yet, I know that many Buddhist temples do not 'view' men and women as equals and definitely does not 'treat' them equally.

peace.
    Buddhism has historically been just as patriarchal and misogynistic as other major religions. Its an unfortunate bi-product of a very slowly changing social /gender paradigm.
  • edited August 2010
    The term 'equal' unfortunately has come to mean inferior/superior when it applies to men and women. And of course it is now politically correct to say that men and women are equal. The truth is, men and women are not equal, they are different. But I say, let's celebrate the differences and appreciate them for what they are.

Peace.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Buddhism has historically been just as patriarchal and misogynistic as other major religions. Its an unfortunate bi-product of a very slowly changing social /gender paradigm.

"just as"? Really?
  • edited August 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    "just as"? Really?

I think sufficiently so for the sake of this discussion.
  • edited August 2010
    I think sufficiently so for the sake of this discussion.
    Exactly.
    edited August 2010
    Just because it's a forum to learn about Buddhism no harm comes from knowledge of anything else.

Kind regards
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited August 2010
    I'm out of here... I don't think Bassam has any interest in Buddhism, just as, I don't have much of an interest in miracle stones from paradise. :)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    sukhita wrote: »
    I'm out of here... I don't think Bassam has any interest in Buddhism, just as, I don't have much of an interest in miracle stones from paradise. :)

I noticed he hadn't posted anything for a few days. Maybe he'll be back with questions or another topic later, so we'll see how that goes.
    edited August 2010
    If he was an evangelical Christian programed to convert he wouldn't have been given the time of of day around these parts. It's different because he is a Muslim. Given recent history there is concern about seeming Islamophobic, so his thinly disguised conversion overture was indulged.

A miracle stone from paradise sounds great. If he can prove it I'm in. The circumambulation of the kaaba looks awesome.
  • edited August 2010
    Being that I have had some experience with Islams "Religious Equality" from my vacation to Iraq. So I am going to be mindful of myself and my speech. But it gets hard sometimes after seeing some of the things I saw done in the name Allah. I mean the Sunni and Shiites are Muslims but cant get along because of the small difference between them. Fed, I completely agree with what you said and have every right to be. I applaud you for doing your job. Its nice to see a moderator involved. Honestly, from what he has posted it does feel as though he is not a bit interested in Buddhism but merely spreading the word of Allah. But time will tell if he ever comes back to respond and I will be interested.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    If he was an evangelical Christian programed to convert he wouldn't have been given the time of of day around these parts. It's different because he is a Muslim. Given recent history there is concern about seeming Islamophobic, so his thinly disguised conversion overture was indulged.
    That's extremely presumptuous of you, Richard.

Personally, I'm not afraid of people from other religions preaching. It doesn't harm me. I learned some things about another religion.

There is a subforum which invites people here from other religions to explore Buddhism. There is talk about other religions in various forums here.

I guess when a person isn't confident in their own religion, even hearing the name of another one becomes a threat to their beliefs and they resort to mocking one another...
    edited August 2010
    That's extremely presumptuous of you, Richard.

Personally, I'm not afraid of people from other religions preaching. It doesn't harm me. I learned some things about another religion.
    Yes, and not all of them acceptable... always...

There is a subforum which invites people here from other religions to explore Buddhism. There is talk about other religions in various forums here.
    Good point.
    Thread moved.
    I guess when a person isn't confident in their own religion, even hearing the name of another one becomes a threat to their beliefs and they resort to mocking one another...
    Now who's being presumptuous?
    I "presume" you meant to add "of course, if you've had any bad experiences in this area, then I could more understand your caution"....

Thank you.
    yes, I have.
    Hence the caution.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Now who's being presumptuous?
    I wasn't being presumptuous, I was being an asshole and know full well that there are a variety of reasons a person may mock another's beliefs instead of, at least, logically debating them. I figured I'd go with one of the kinder possibilities and not assume Richard has a tiny penis.

The point is, Bassam was doing no harm, and whether he had a genuine interest in learning or now, who will know; but we did a fine job in introducing him to Buddhism either way by collectively laughing at something he identifies with and has respect for. It's not up to us to "save" him from his beliefs, either, and "show him the way."

You'll note he didn't bring up the stone.

I also wasn't referring to you, unless you were trying to mock him?
    Yes, and not all of them acceptable... always...

"Acceptable"? The stone? Acceptable? O_o

Amongst Buddhists we find things in each others' practices and beliefs relating to Buddhism that we find ridiculous and yet the same people who are pointing and laughing in this Thread are the ones who get all uppity if someone doesn't treat all schools of Buddhism as equal?
    edited August 2010
    I wasn't being presumptuous, I was being an asshole
    :lol:

Good for you!
    and know full well that there are a variety of reasons a person may mock another's beliefs instead of, at least, logically debating them. I figured I'd go with one of the kinder possibilities and not assume Richard has a tiny penis.
    I've always loved your sense of humour....really, I'm being sincere.
    The point is, Bassam was doing no harm, and whether he had a genuine interest in learning or now, who will know; but we did a fine job in introducing him to Buddhism either way by collectively laughing at something he identifies with and has respect for. It's not up to us to "save" him from his beliefs, either, and "show him the way."

I certainly never said or implied anything of the kind.
    But if you like, Muslim or Christian, he's posting true to form.

Instead on any Christians we've ever had on forum, saying -
    "Im a Christian, I have a deep and abiding faith in God, which has always been enormously strong and inspirational to me, but I would love you all to please teach me the rudiments of Buddhism, because I would love to be more informed and aware of what it is you follow".

we have, without exception, had Christians coming on forum telling us all about their beliefs, and what they follow and blindly presuming that because we're Buddhists, we obviously know nothing and need educating.
    Bassam handled it no differently.
    Instead of saying he was Muslim, and asking questions, he sailed straight into his practice.

You don't go into a class for mountain-climbing, and start telling everyone everything you know about your fondness for scuba-diving.

Had he been a Christian using this approach, I would suggest you would have been as much on your guard as anyone else would have been.
    His approach was identical.
    My response would have been identical had he been a Christian.
    I also wasn't referring to you, unless you were trying to mock him?
    No, I never intended nor implied any mockery. At all.
    That would be beneath me, and in a position of Moderator, as far as I am concerned, unacceptable.
    "Acceptable"? The stone? Acceptable? O_o
    Information concerning the stone, is not in my criteria of what I find unacceptable about Islam. That's the very least of my objections.
    Amongst Buddhists we find things in each others' practices and beliefs relating to Buddhism that we find ridiculous and yet the same people who are pointing and laughing in this Thread are the ones who get all uppity if someone doesn't treat all schools of Buddhism as equal?

Fortunately, I don't think this comment is aimed at me, so I won't presume to respond.
    I may not agree with practices as followed by schools of Buddhism I do not adhere to, but I don't point, laugh or ridicule.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    No, I never intended nor implied any mockery. At all.
    I didn't think so.
    I may not agree with practices as followed by schools of Buddhism I do not adhere to, but I don't point, laugh or ridicule.

Exactly.

The comment you initially responded to wasn't directed at you in any way. Sorry if I caused you to think that.
    edited August 2010
    That's extremely presumptuous of you.....

I was being very presumptuous.......

It just looked obvious to these unenlightened, self-view marinated, rampantly projecting eyes, that this fellow was here to share his absolute-one-true-religion-straight-from-the-mouth-of-god-to-the ear-of-his-final-prophet, and not here to explore the shared experiences of islamic contemplatives and Buddhists.

Edit: ....and by the way, I ask my wife every day, and she tells me everyday, that my penis is the biggest ever. so there.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Edit: ....and by the way, I ask my wife every day, and she tells me everyday, that my penis is the biggest ever. so there.
    lol :D