Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New friend of you ,.... hello

2»

Comments

• Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I suppose it was quite rude to stroll in and gobb about your own religion without asking questions, when I was a Buddhist and entered a Wiccan forum I said I'm a Buddhist and said nothing more unless I was asked, and a few polite questions were. I occasionly quote Wicca or Buddhism in the other's discussions but a mix of cultures can be for the better :)
    I do not mind a Muslim entering the forum, but I am disgusted by certain things written in the quoran (and the bible), but I've met many Christians who do not agree with everything in the bible, so I open my mind to the fact that Bassam may not agree with all of his holy book. If he does, you'll find I can be a bit of a dick. I better make myself scarce in that case...

Kind (the sweet irony) regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
    edited August 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    Edit: ....and by the way, I ask my wife every day, and she tells me everyday, that my penis is the biggest ever. so there.

Hahaha!
    I was reading about the penis sizes of different races (don't ask :lol: ) and this guy said his bf had a penis length of ten inches that was as thick as his wrist. Ow! LOL
    So biggest ever?

Kind regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    OK....
    *jumps in quickly*..

We can keep to topic....;)
    Any topic concerning phallic measurements should go elsewhere....:o
  • edited August 2010
    It's different because he is a Muslim. Given recent history there is concern about seeming Islamophobic, so his thinly disguised conversion overture was indulged.
    Richard, are you sure this man wasn't sincere?

Because you sound very sure of yourself here--like you've got him all figured out--yet your claims (by their nature) can't be proven. Is there a possibility you're doing him a disservice?

Personally, I don't suspect this man of being disingenuous; but even if I did, I would be cautious about voicing my suspicion: because to cast aspersions on another man's character without being sure of oneself is not the path of wisdom.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2010
    zendo wrote: »

He might have been sincere, but his intent was certainly to interject notions of islam. He did not mention his family, his hair color, his favorite foods, his hobbies... and yet the thin veil was "to introduce himself to others"

I don't personally mind, so I am not judging his post, only hoping you can see the difference, because his postings are not about himself, they are about his belief. It would be more correct for him to say "I'm going to introduce my interpretations of islam to all of you", because that is exactly what he did.

For me, I received exactly the kind of response I have received before. I wonder if slave owners in the olden days said something like "slaves and owners are equal, because they both have jobs and responsibilities they have to perform in order to fulfill societal roles."

With furrowed brow,

Matt
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited August 2010
    zendo wrote: »

Because you sound very sure of yourself here--like you've got him all figured out--yet your claims (by their nature) can't be proven. Is there a possibility you're doing him a disservice?

Personally, I don't suspect this man of being disingenuous; but even if I did, I would be cautious about voicing my suspicion: because to cast aspersions on another man's character without being sure of oneself is not the path of wisdom.
    We see this differently. I was not casting aspersions on his character, his character is no doubt sterling, and his faith is without a doubt completely sincere. I believe he sees much that is honorable in Buddhism. But alas, Buddhism is not The One True Faith, and he surely knows that. I believe his intention to share The One True faith is very sincere, very pure.

Maybe this is wildly presumptuous and I'm OK with being wrong, OK with being unwise, and being seen to be unwise.. Somehow I think this fellow is not depending on my approval. and he seems like he's doing just fine.
  • edited August 2010
    I am new here and expected compassionate understanding for our differentiations. For Bassam I can understand how a man like with a religion that has such bad press would want to impress his intension about the core facets of the religion. I appreciated the balanced comments as a gentle gaze at what is real. When we move beyond the judicial stare that projects through contradictory extremes a divisive attitude we loose what is primary to our intentions of compassionate understanding. Are we not alone in this human condition and experience differentiation whilst being connected and share the same suffering human heart.

I am offended by the reaction to this person's attempts to belong all the more reason to stay with a conviction that being sentient, feeling with and communicating with the heart is preferable to the wayward vagaries of the mind which obstructs communication. It is the culture that creates monsters and demons and the intentions of any prophet past or present can be skewed to suit a cause for hatred. Cool down the reactions and respond with some wisdom from one's own religious principles, extremes in the mind do not address extreme suffering in the heart. I have seen atrocities from every side and I have suffered deeply at those cruel ways I notice how what comes out of ones mind will come back three fold, projecting hatred usually binds one to the hate. Love is a different matter all together and is beyond the bounds of the mind and very much about the heart and what would the Buddha say to us regarding social lepers. Namasta from Janet.
  • edited August 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Just a note, faith is a virtuous quality of mind that leads to pleasent pastures, It is unwise to destroy someones faith on the basis of a set of differing beleifs :)
    If one wishes to debate certain aspects of doctrine of a validity from logic and reason then it is good to do so.

Thank you same for me and from swami Vivekananda The infinite oneness of the soul is the eternal sanction of all morality. :cool:
    edited August 2010
    janet wrote: »
    I am offended by the reaction to this person's attempts to belong .
    Perhaps he wanted to belong, perhaps not. The issue is not Islam, but whether someone came to share their path and learn about the Dharma, or merely to proselytize, as happens sometimes. There is disagreement. I might very well be wrong, but your offended feelings belong to you.
    edited August 2010
    federica wrote: »
    OK....
    *jumps in quickly*..

We can keep to topic....;)
    Any topic concerning phallic measurements should go elsewhere....:o

Totally agree, I can't believe I put that :o:o:o
    edited August 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    He might have been sincere, but his intent was certainly to interject notions of islam. He did not mention his family, his hair color, his favorite foods, his hobbies... and yet the thin veil was "to introduce himself to others"

I don't personally mind, so I am not judging his post, only hoping you can see the difference, because his postings are not about himself, they are about his belief. It would be more correct for him to say "I'm going to introduce my interpretations of islam to all of you", because that is exactly what he did.

For me, I received exactly the kind of response I have received before. I wonder if slave owners in the olden days said something like "slaves and owners are equal, because they both have jobs and responsibilities they have to perform in order to fulfill societal roles."

With furrowed brow,

Matt

In a middle eastern country this woman was bullied by the in-laws and so angrilly stormed out of the house (without permission! The witch :p) and her husband caught her. His brother held her down and she had her nose and ears cut off by her husband. She was 18 :bawling:

King regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
    edited August 2010
    I am new here and expected compassionate understanding for our differentiations. For Bassam I can understand how a man like with a religion that has such bad press would want to impress his intension about the core facets of the religion. I appreciated the balanced comments as a gentle gaze at what is real. When we move beyond the judicial stare that projects through contradictory extremes a divisive attitude we loose what is primary to our intentions of compassionate understanding. Are we not alone in this human condition and experience differentiation whilst being connected and share the same suffering human heart.

I am offended by the reaction to this person's attempts to belong all the more reason to stay with a conviction that being sentient, feeling with and communicating with the heart is preferable to the wayward vagaries of the mind which obstructs communication. It is the culture that creates monsters and demons and the intentions of any prophet past or present can be skewed to suit a cause for hatred. Cool down the reactions and respond with some wisdom from one's own religious principles, extremes in the mind do not address extreme suffering in the heart. I have seen atrocities from every side and I have suffered deeply at those cruel ways I notice how what comes out of ones mind will come back three fold, projecting hatred usually binds one to the hate. Love is a different matter all together and is beyond the bounds of the mind and very much about the heart and what would the Buddha say to us regarding social lepers. Namasta from Janet.

I do agree, now I look it's shocking how this Muslim was treated different to everyone else. I'm not surprised he has not again posted.

Hypocritical regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited August 2010
    Perhaps he wanted to belong, perhaps not. The issue is not Islam, but whether someone came to share their path and learn about the Dharma, or merely to proselytize, as happens sometimes. There is disagreement. I might very well be wrong, but your offended feelings belong to you.

So Richard WHY STAY ON EARTH IF NOT TO GROW. Oh yes you offended me by waving your genitals but my feelings were not involved simply that was an obvious matter of propriety in context with the post.

Having no feelings regarding this matter but I do have a concern for the reactions you displayed against another person that was not warranted. You may not want to hear this??.

As far as I could see Bassam seemed to have offended you by his affiliation with the Muslim faith and his attempts to show where he is coming, showing us that his spiritual affiliations were none violent. I am wondering how big his affiliations for the Muslim faith rates in your life. Your reactions were fueled by something more than a person proselytizing that happens all the time, why did you need to wave your genitals about. Was that an emotional reaction Richard. These feelings belong to you and something you obviously need to work through if you are true to your convictions to grow.

So WHY STAY ON EARTH IF NOT TO GROW.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    I do agree, now I look it's shocking how this Muslim was treated different to everyone else.
    How exactly, has he been treated 'differently to anyone else'?
    he is from a different background and religion, and has eneterd the forum basically talking about his religion and his beliefs.
    He was asked to substantiate certain claims, and was asked whether he wished to explore Buddhism further.

Tell me where he has been 'treated different to anyone else'?

Where has this treatment been 'shocking'?

I'm not surprised he has not again posted.
    Neither am I.
    edited August 2010
    So Richard WHY STAY ON EARTH IF NOT TO GROW.
    You have a different location, as an option?
    Oh yes you offended me by waving your genitals but my feelings were not involved simply that was an obvious matter of propriety in context with the post.
    To be fair, Richard was not the first to wave his genitals.

Having no feelings regarding this matter but I do have a concern for the reactions you displayed against another person that was not warranted. You may not want to hear this??.
    That these were not warranted, are your perceptions.
    Richard obviously has different perceptions.
    Notice I permitted things to lie.
    There is a difference (although at times it walks a fine line) beween Moderation and censorship.

As far as I could see Bassam seemed to have offended you by his affiliation with the Muslim faith and his attempts to show where he is coming, showing us that his spiritual affiliations were none violent. I am wondering how big his affiliations for the Muslim faith rates in your life. Your reactions were fueled by something more than a person proselytizing that happens all the time, why did you need to wave your genitals about. Was that an emotional reaction Richard. These feelings belong to you and something you obviously need to work through if you are true to your convictions to grow.

Given that you are a relatively new member, I will merely state that going on previous experiences with other non-Buddhist Theistic visitors coming into this forum, Richard's input was extremely restrained and mild. In fact, his input with regard to tone and manner, pretty much matched the tone and manner of approach by bassam.
    Other visitors have not been so....gentle.
    And we've had quite a few of those.
  • edited August 2010

Editing the post for federica

OUCH
    edited August 2010
    Janet, I think your post needs editing.
    I'm not quite sure what to respond to, or if a response is warranted....?:)
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Richard, I think Janet's trying to tell you to switch to briefs?
    Your reactions were fueled by something more than a person proselytizing that happens all the time, why did you need to wave your genitals about. Was that an emotional reaction Richard. These feelings belong to you and something you obviously need to work through if you are true to your convictions to grow.
    He was making a joke in response to a smartass comment I had made... generally a better way to respond than to get emotionally reactive. I have to admit this rant about "Richard waving his genitals about" has me IRL ROFLing. xD

I mean I agree about the reaction to Bassam but now I seem to have caused an obsession with Richard's balls? Wth?
  • edited August 2010
    Yes I agree with everybody and for my part I apologize for any disturbance shall we let that thread go.
    edited August 2010

Editing the post for federica

OUCH

:lol:

Ok, fair enough! :)
    edited August 2010
    Oh jeezo. Bassam God bless you, I trust you share the view that no creed is the bearer of truth to the exclusion of another, and that all faiths are an equal expression of the same ineffable reality.

My comic comeback seemed like a tension breaking chuckler at the time but it maybe was a bad choice , as it seems to be taken as a serious claim.

The cicadas are loud this morning and thrumming in sinc. It is hot and humid again. There is a mosquito bite in the index finger knuckle.

• edited August 2010
    Oh jeezo. Bassam God bless you, I trust you share the view that no creed is the bearer of truth to the exclusion of another, and that all faiths are an equal expression of the same ineffable reality.

My comic comeback seemed like a tension breaking chuckler at the time but it maybe was a bad choice , as it seems to be taken as a serious claim.

The cicadas are loud this morning and thrumming in sinc. It is hot and humid again. There is a mosquito bite in the index finger knuckle..
    Richard could that mosquito be a mother from a previous life nagging you? Seems that we're born to suffer:lol:
    edited August 2010
    The cicadas are loud this morning and thrumming in sinc. It is hot and humid again. There is a mosquito bite in the index finger knuckle..

if you're in the middle of the Arizona desert, you have my sympathies, gringo...
    if you're in North Balham, you're flogging this one to death....:D
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Isn't it funny how the appearance of dissonance grows when we let it?

I didn't become offended by Bassam, Richard's genitals, or janet's thingamabober... which makes me wonder if there is any offended-ness quality that has anything to do with the words in this thread. Perhaps the origination comes from somewhere else?

I also don't find it that odd that people saw through the 'introduction' disguised post as distinctly Islamy in flavor, and called it as such.
    Oh yes you offended me

...and janet, I find this phrase of yours to be particularly codependent, as you are basically giving your mental state to someone else, making another responsible for your mind.
    edited August 2010
    Ma kardan, pean teiega nõus Fede :)
    Sorry, I fancied a bit of Estonian, I mean I'm afraid I must agree with you Fede :)

King regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean