Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I Am A Church Sucker

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited November 2005 in Faith & Religion
Alright I'll be quick on this... When I was young I was sent to an Anglican kindergarden so I learnt some stuff about Christ.. And I continued this interest even now...

But I feel so damm cheap whenever I step into a church, I behave exactly like a Christian... When I am 100% Buddhist... Something in my mind switches from Buddhist mode to Christian mode... Haha... Don't mind me next time overseas when I enter your church and act like a total fool...

Comments

• edited October 2005
    Just curious, what do you consider behaving Christian? Is it possible that it might be the same as acting Buddhist in some cases?
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2005
    I can sit in Mass... Act like so reserved and religious... Eyes deep in thought and stuff like that... Talk so politely and absolutely no nonsense... Talk about God when I don't even believe in one... I get so often mistaken for being a Christian by alot of my friends too... Humbug!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    I can sit in Mass... Act like so reserved and religious... Eyes deep in thought and stuff like that... Talk so politely and absolutely no nonsense... Talk about God when I don't even believe in one... I get so often mistaken for being a Christian by alot of my friends too... Humbug!

Methinks it is simple courtesy to sit/kneel/stand at Mass. My father, a strong atheist, would genuflect before the Blessed Sacrament, remove his shoes in temple or mosque, cover his head in a synagogue and, I have no doubt, he would have made prostrations in a Buddhist temple. When I asked him why he did so, he told me that courtesy to our hosts is far more important than some personal opinion.

Against this, I recall many anti-clerical Frenchmen who would not even remove their hats in church!

If the church is not your 'home', you are a guest there. You have certain duties, as do your hosts. Also, you represent whatever your own beliefs may be. You will leave an impression about those beliefs.

His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama has spent much time in meeting people of many faiths and none. Except within his own (e.g. NKT) he has never expressed criticism or talked nonsense - as a result, he is welcomed everywhere and Buddhism as a whole has gained a new lustre.

When, on rare occasions, I attend Mass, I still kneel during the Consecration, I join in the responses (insofar as I can, without too much damage to my beliefs) and I present myself at the altar for a blessing. If I were invited to a meal at a friend's house, even if I couldn't eat the food, I would join in where I could.
    edited October 2005
    OK it seems like I'm normal after all... But I really feel rotten when I go in and sort of "cheat" Christians...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    "This above all:
    To Thine own Self be True;
    And it must follow - as the night the day -
    Thou canst not then be false
    To ANY Man."

Shakespeare. Hamlet
    Spoken by Petronius.
  • ECMECM
    edited October 2005
    I have a recommendation for you -- Ken Leong, who wrote the Zen Teachings of Jesus, spent 20 years with the same issues. He writes beautifully about it, and you will learn a lot from his book about both Buddhism and Christianity. I recommend it highly.

I agree with everyone else -- in a church you follow their ways as a courtesy. Perhaps you might try looking at what is going on and looking for the similarities instead of the differences.

One way to look at a faith (religion) is as defining "ourselves", as being a 'statement of who we are". If we take it this way, then it is easy to feel unhappy in a religious place that is not of our own faith. We might feel threatened, or uneasy. But there is another thought we could have in our mind as we attend a service in a different religion -- to sit in compassion with the community, and join in with the things we have in harmony -- (all religions encourage compassion). Then we have a goal to reach for, and the issue of our identity might not sit so heavily.

And so there is a challenge, a wonderful opportunity to develop ourselves.

A lotus for you --
    EM
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Methinks it is simple courtesy to sit/kneel/stand at Mass. My father, a strong atheist, would genuflect before the Blessed Sacrament, remove his shoes in temple or mosque, cover his head in a synagogue and, I have no doubt, he would have made prostrations in a Buddhist temple. When I asked him why he did so, he told me that courtesy to our hosts is far more important than some personal opinion.

Wow... that was very big of your dad to do that. I also think it was a good lesson for his children to see these basic principle of respect.

-bf
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:

Why do you do this when you don't even believe in one? Is it because your friends are going and you're just wanting to hang out with them? With your family?

I'm just trying to figure out why you're going through the motions?

-bf
    edited October 2005
    Nah... Actually the only time I go church is when I'm alone... Or with a friend who waits for me outside the church... I go inside to admire the architecture and beauty of the structure... Anyone coming to Singapore next time might like to go to St. Andrews Cathedral... Beautiful church it is... And I sometimes place Christian things around like crosses and stuff... I got a cross attached to my pencil case... Don't know why I do so but it must be kindergarden stuff never wearing off me... Haha... How some memories never fade...
    edited October 2005
    Between Lower Dharamshala and McLeodGanj, where HHDL lives, is a small church, built by the British and now Church of South India (Anglican). It is Victorian Gothic, surrounded by a small graveyard (including the remains of Lord Elgin) and set among the deodar trees.

This church, the Church of Saint John in the Wilderness, is a place of great peace and a number of my Tibetan friends go there for its silence.

Sacred places are sacred places: if we open ourselves to the spirit of the place, we can come away with more than we had when we arrived.
    edited October 2005
    I sometimes go church for this reason, especially after Service. Great place to think.
  • edited October 2005
    If you want to see how good a buddeo-christian can be possible, I'd suggest reading any of the works by Thomas Merton. He was a Catholic Monk who was very interested in other religions and wrote many books. I would recomment "Further Seeds of Contemplation". He and the Dali Lama, as well as Thich Nhat Hanh wrote of each other often, and greatly respected each other.
  • edited October 2005
    Well Said Brother Simon.
    edited October 2005
    I do research in Christianity but I'm not anywhere near to wanting it to become part of my life... Just like the atmosphere...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Well, if you like Christian ritual, you should become a Tibetan Buddhist - it's the "High Church" of Buddhism! Lots of nice ritual and cymbals crashing and horns blaring and so forth... :winkc:

Palzang
    edited November 2005
    .....and clouds and clouds of incense!
    edited November 2005
    Nah, I guess you can just say I love bearded guys with long hair more than clean-shaven guys with bald heads... LOL.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Bald by choice!

:-/