Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Correct attitude

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited August 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Today, this quotation came up on my desk calendar, attributed to H.H. the Dalai Lama but without any other source. Despite that, I think it is worth taking on board:

"When receiving the teachings, it is important to have the correct attitude. It is not practising the Dharma properly to listen with the intention of gaining material advantage or reputation. Neither should our goal be higher rebirth in the next life nor should we be wishing only for our own liberation from samsara. These are all attitudes we should reject. Instead let us listen to the teachings with the determined wish to attain the state of omniscience for the sake of all beings."

I don't know about you but I know that, at times, my intention has not been that determined and that I began my practice for my own liberation. Bit by bit, over the years, I have come to understand that my own liberation is irrelevant and petty. What matters is that my life and practice be of benefit to all beings. Once I had grasped that, daily practice and 'amendment of life' became not just easy but a joy.
Nirvana

Comments

• DeformedDeformed Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I will practice this today. Thanks.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I don't know about you but I know that, at times, my intention has not been that determined and that I began my practice for my own liberation. Bit by bit, over the years, I have come to understand that my own liberation is irrelevant and petty. What matters is that my life and practice be of benefit to all beings. Once I had grasped that, daily practice and 'amendment of life' became not just easy but a joy.

This looks like a pretty well described conversion from a self-centric person to a bodhisattva, in my opinion. What I've noticed in my own practice is that as we release our personal striving, helping others is simply what makes the most sense. Its not as though we sit around constantly thinking "I wish to help others" but as situations arise, our compassion dictates that we do. Like our body naturally moves us to get out of the way of a moving vehicle... doing else-wise is just not appropriate.