Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Maitreya the Antichrist?

edited August 2010 in Arts & Writings
Hello there. This is my 1st post ever. I'm a Christian and I've been wondering if there's evidence/arguments that Maitreya is/is not the Bible's Antichrist.

I want your opinion on this, it is important. Is there a chance that Metteyya (Maitreya) was NOT prophesized by Buddha since he is only mention ONCE in the Tipitaka in a text that looks nothing like the rest? Could it be just something that the writters of the Tipitaka added in (it happens, from what I heard).

----Thanks

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Edgeorge wrote: »
    Hello there. This is my 1st post ever. I'm a Christian and I've been wondering if there's evidence/arguments that Maitreya is/is not the Bible's Antichrist.

No. You are confusing two different bodies of myth. You might as well imagine congruence between Maitreya, King Arthur, Frederick Barbarossa and the Second Coming. They are similar but different.

• ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited August 2010
    As Simon said you are mixing mythologies,

Depending on how fundamentalist a Christian you are, you may feel that if someone is not with Christ, then they are against Christ (rather GW Bush-esque, but there you go)
    Nothing in Buddhism is based upon anything in Christianity because it pre-dates Christianity by half a millenium (granted some Sutras were written in the CE but theoretically they were originally spoken by Shakyamuni.) and in a different part of the world and different culture.
    So if you want to look at Buddhist (or Hindu) mythologies, and "prophesies" you will find that they are of course not "Christian". You then have to decide if you think they are therefore anti-christian or not.

I would suggest they are not anti-christian...they are just not Christian.

Your question is a bit like asking a piano player if it is anti-piano to use a pick when playing guitar.
  • edited August 2010
    Best thread ever.
  • edited August 2010
    Maitreya is your enlightened Buddha-nature flowering at this very moment, the Buddha who is yet to come.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    There is currently a person who uses the name Maitreya and claims to be a prophet. This person is not endorsed by Buddhism nor recognized as any kind of incarnation.

The true Maitreya is the future Buddha, who is prophesied to appear after all remnants of the current dharma have disappeared from the world - not something that will happen anytime soon, since the teachings of Shayamuni Buddha still exist and are flourishing.

His name derives from the word maitri, which means loving-kindness. As stated by Shutoku, many figures not associated with Christianity are considered to be the "anti-Christ." Considering that Maitreya stands for peace, love, and equality, this is a far cry from the qualities of oppression, hate, and terror that the "anti-Christ" would represent.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited August 2010

I want your opinion on this, it is important. Is there a chance that Metteyya (Maitreya) was NOT prophesized by Buddha since he is only mention ONCE in the Tipitaka in a text that looks nothing like the rest? Could it be just something that the writters of the Tipitaka added in (it happens, from what I heard).

----Thanks

How about the Bible was complied Many years after Jesus death and Buddhism came about 500 years before Jesus birth, Maitreya was predicted as the Buddha yet to come, judging from Shakyamuni's teachings as he was also a Buddha, I dont think christians have anything to worry about, Buddha only advocated Training the mind in the way to happiness and perfection of morale conduct, All Buddhas do this. And Maitreya will be no exception.
  • edited August 2010

No. You are confusing two different bodies of myth. You might as well imagine congruence between Maitreya, King Arthur, Frederick Barbarossa and the Second Coming. They are similar but different.

Well said :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Hello Edgeorge....

nice to meet you......
    I do hope you will enjoy your stay with us. ;)
    edited August 2010
    kurra wrote: »
    Maitreya is your enlightened Buddha-nature flowering at this very moment, the Buddha who is yet to come.

350 years ago, Gerrard Winstanley, one of the True Levellers ("Diggers") at St George's Hill, Weybridge, maintained that the Second Coming was not an apocalyptic event somewhere in the distant future but was the rising and 'indwelling' of Christ in the heart of the believer here and now. Remarkably similar to what you say, Kurra. When I read his writings for the first time, decades ago, it changed my understanding of the Gospels entirely.
  • edited August 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Hello Edgeorge....

nice to meet you......
    I do hope you will enjoy your stay with us. ;)

Thank you, and thank you all so much for replying to my new thread. :rolleyes:
    I hope that the "best thread ever" comment did not intend to mock me. I do not know all that much about Buddhism and I am simply willing to learn. I am terribly sorry if I sound dumb at any point but I can't help it.

But, is there a chance that Metteyya was an allegory or even NOT a prophecy of Buddha?

Again, thank you all.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    But, is there a chance that Metteyya was an allegory or even NOT a prophecy of Buddha?

Is that what you want to hear?
  • edited August 2010
    mugzy wrote: »

I want to hear whether it's true or not.
    edited August 2010

Remember what Pilate asked Jesus.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I want to hear whether it's true or not.

I know this thread didn't get a lot of replies, but as you can see none of them have alluded to the possibility of Maitreya's prophecy being falsified. It makes sense to me - there were Buddhas before Shayamuni, and there will be Buddhas after him. The next Buddha of this epoch will be called Maitreya. I've read about Maitreya in more than one text, but I can't recall the sources.

Any people currently claiming to be Maitreya are either severely misguided or criminally deceptive. It was specifically stated that Maitreya will not arrive until thousands of years after the current dharma has disappeared from the world, during an extremely dark period. So if, during your lifetime, someone claims that they are Maitreya (as many before have done, and as some are currently claiming) they are incorrect and you should not regard them as the true Maitreya. Certainly none of us will see the next Buddha in our current lifetime!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010

Again, thank you all.

It's possible, and to be honest with you, we really don't give it much thought.

When something is open to wonderment and speculation, the most advisable thing - no matter what we practice, or follow - is to accept that some things cannot be tested or verified, and should simply be left as they are...

The important thing for any Buddhist, is merely to apply what they know for themselves, and practice diligently.
    The same can be said for any calling.
    As an ex-Catholic myself, I left the speculation alone, and when I came to Buddhism, I did the same thing.
    The Buddha exhorts us to test all teachings until we are satisfied of three things:
    There is an answer, there is no answer, there may be an answer, but we probably will never be around to find out whether it is so or not.
    In all three cases, just go with it, and carry on.....
  • edited August 2010

----Thanks

It may seem important, but it is not. Just study and practice to achieve freedom from suffering and ignore irrelevancies.
  • edited August 2010
    I hope that the "best thread ever" comment did not intend to mock me.
    It wasnt meant to mock you at all.
    I actually think the title to this thread is one of the best I have ever seen, its funny and provocative.
    And the question itself shows some pretty unique thinking on your part.
    So, I'll say it again.
    Best thread ever.
  • edited August 2010
    Most Buddhists have no truck with prophecies. All such teachings in Buddhism were meant to be allegorical. Even the name Maitreya comes from a Sanskrit word meaning friendship or loving-kindness. (Pali: metta) It's not hard to see how today's friendship is tomorrow's Buddha.
  • edited August 2010
    Technically speaking, I shouldn't call this teaching allegorical any more than I ought to say that the identification of the human spine with Mount Meru is "allegorical". No, we Indians had our own ideas about allegory.
  • edited August 2010
    It wasnt meant to mock you at all.
    I actually think the title to this thread is one of the best I have ever seen, its funny and provocative.
    And the question itself shows some pretty unique thinking on your part.
    So, I'll say it again.
    Best thread ever.

Hey thanks!

Hello Kurra. I'm sorry but I'm not familliar with Mount Sumeru and the human spine...
  • edited August 2010
    Hello.
    I'm sorry but I'm not familliar with Mount Sumeru and the human spine...
    That's okay, it's a complex and offtopic subject that eventually leads to theories of mantra. (ranging from the profound to batshit crazy) If you want, you could take it as allegorical for now.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited August 2010
    The anti-Christ is a bit of a fabrication, or rather a conflation of different concepts found in the NT. When Jesus spoke of false prophets coming, he was referring to the inevitable claims that people make when it comes to religion, he knew people would attempt to warp his teachings through claims of divine revelation that superceded his. When John spoke of anti-christs (plural) he was talking about people who were literally against Christ, i.e. non-believers.
    And the beast in Revelation, the character that most Christians equate with a prophesied future Anti-Christ has already lived and died. The passages in Revelation referring to the beast were not too subtle references to the Emperor Nero, arguably the greatest enemy Christians have ever had.

So, despite the fact that Maitreya is from an unrelated tradition and doesn't have any of the attributes of the beast from revelation, or a false prophet, he can't be the Anti-Christ as the Anti-Christ isn't a prophesied figure but a man who died nearly 2,000 years ago.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I don't really know how to reply to this thread but I do hope you stick around. We're a soft bunch when you get to know us :)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    And Maitreya will be no exception.

caz isn't your avatar an image of the Buddha Maitreya?
    edited August 2010
    caz isn't your avatar an image of the Buddha Maitreya?

Certainly is :)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010

Well now you've gone and changed to a different one :p I have a Maitreya poster that looks very similar to your previous avatar.
    edited August 2010

Who the? Oh, it's you! Have you got a new wig or something :p
    edited August 2010
    Reflecting on this topic, It is interesting how universal the archetype of a returning hero or saviour occurs in human mythologies, even unconnected with each other, on different continents. The British Isles have a couple of such heroes: Arthur, of course, but also Owain Glyndwr. WEe can even include Francis Drake. Germany/the Holy Roman Empire has Barbarossa and Israel has King David. Across the Pond, Hiawatha will return to the Iroquois.

All examples of nostalgic pain projected into an idyllic future. Once we deal with the nonsense that informs the nostalgia, the 'once-and-future king' disappears. Ceasing to cling to what is to come, we have much more chance to open the eyes of our minds to the View (rigpa/vidya).

The View of things as they truly are is yet another aspect of commonality with the Gospel message that the Basileia ('kingdom') is here, now, to be perceived 'within us'.
  • edited August 2010
    Reflecting on this topic, It is interesting how universal the archetype of a returning hero or saviour occurs in human mythologies, even unconnected with each other, on different continents. The British Isles have a couple of such heroes: Arthur, of course, but also Owain Glyndwr. WEe can even include Francis Drake. Germany/the Holy Roman Empire has Barbarossa and Israel has King David. Across the Pond, Hiawatha will return to the Iroquois.

All examples of nostalgic pain projected into an idyllic future. Once we deal with the nonsense that informs the nostalgia, the 'once-and-future king' disappears. Ceasing to cling to what is to come, we have much more chance to open the eyes of our minds to the View (rigpa/vidya).

The View of things as they truly are is yet another aspect of commonality with the Gospel message that the Basileia ('kingdom') is here, now, to be perceived 'within us'.

With the important difference that the Buddha is dead and gone, never to return (the view of some re the "Buddha Boy" notwithstanding). Maitreya would be a different "person".
    edited August 2010
    Well now you've gone and changed to a different one :p I have a Maitreya poster that looks very similar to your previous avatar.

Still the same person friend :)
    Notice the Crown adorning stupa and the Turning the wheel of Dharma Mudra, With the Holy Dharma wheel arising from one flower and the precious long necked vase from the other, This is unmistakably Maitreya :)
    edited August 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Who the? Oh, it's you! Have you got a new wig or something :p

Same Wig Different colour :)
    edited August 2010
    hindmost wrote: »
    With the important difference that the Buddha is dead and gone, never to return (the view of some re the "Buddha Boy" notwithstanding). Maitreya would be a different "person".

The subtext is the same: a saviour arises when everything is terrible, in this case the Dharma having been lost.

Of course we also have the paradoxical statements that the Buddha made about the Tathagata and death.
  • edited August 2010

Of course we also have the paradoxical statements that the Buddha made about the Tathagata and death.

I don't know about those. Can you "enlighten" me?
    edited August 2010
    :lol:
  • edited August 2010

Because I see human existence as analogous to the existence of a wave in the middle of an ocean, I see the cessation of a human's existence as analogous to the subsuming of a wave back into the ocean, once its energy has expired. The human and their energy (or life, if you like) is subsumed back into nature, whence it sprang, back into the universe. That is why I think that, when the last petal of the lotus has been peeled back, we find at its heart ... nothing. So, for me, the Buddha is gone forever, notwithstanding his refusal to answer the question of what happens to a tathagata after death.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    So, for me, the Buddha is gone forever, notwithstanding his refusal to answer the question of what happens to a tathagata after death.

The Buddha may have passed into parinirvana, but his teachings, his dharma body remains.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Because I see human existence as analogous to the existence of a wave in the middle of an ocean, I see the cessation of a human's existence as analogous to the subsuming of a wave back into the ocean, once its energy has expired. The human and their energy (or life, if you like) is subsumed back into nature, whence it sprang, back into the universe. That is why I think that, when the last petal of the lotus has been peeled back, we find at its heart ... nothing. So, for me, the Buddha is gone forever, notwithstanding his refusal to answer the question of what happens to a tathagata after death.

Siddhartha is gone forever, but the Buddha lives in everyone of us.
  • edited August 2010
    kurra wrote: »
    No.. The Former should be Bodhisattva... And @Edgeorge, The Maitreya is not gonna be more antichristic than Shakyamuni or anyother Buddha... He will also emphasize on showing love... And I don't think it is just a myth as it will be a horrendous job to "add" something to the Pali Cannon(Tipitaka)... But sill, who can say, it can still be a hoax... So just belieave what you think is plausible...

Love and Light,
    Nidish
    edited August 2010

"And so, Anuradha — when you can't pin down the Tathagata as a truth or reality even in the present life — is it proper for you to declare, 'Friends, the Tathagata — the supreme man, the superlative man, attainer of the superlative attainment — being described, is described otherwise than with these four positions: The Tathagata exists after death, does not exist after death, both does & does not exist after death, neither exists nor does not exist after death'?"
    "No, lord."
    "Very good, Anuradha. Very good. Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress."

edited August 2010
    Nidish wrote: »
    No.. The Former should be Bodhisattva... And @Edgeorge, The Maitreya is not gonna be more antichristic than Shakyamuni or anyother Buddha... He will also emphasize on showing love... And I don't think it is just a myth as it will be a horrendous job to "add" something to the Pali Cannon(Tipitaka)... But sill, who can say, it can still be a hoax... So just belieave what you think is plausible...

Love and Light,
    Nidish

Nidish,

I did not use the word 'myth' to mean a hoax.
  • edited August 2010
    I am over the mysticism that many people add to Buddhism. It is a method of ending suffering and as such is unique in the world, but it has nothing to do with believing in fluffy-headed nonsense.
    edited August 2010
    Yep...toss it about in the breeze, let it take the chaff....keep what's vital and necessary, and use it to nourish you.
    The rest is just navel fluff.....
  • edited August 2010
    It is just great to know I am not alone in thinking that the original words of the Buddha have been horribly messed with over the centuries since his death, turning what is a method for the maturation of the entire human race from foolish adolescence into wise adulthood ... into yet another dad-blasted, fairies at the bottom of the garden religion!
    edited August 2010
    It is just great to know I am not alone in thinking that the original words of the Buddha have been horribly messed with over the centuries since his death, turning what is a method for the maturation of the entire human race from foolish adolescence into wise adulthood ... into yet another dad-blasted, fairies at the bottom of the garden religion!
    :eek: :(
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I dunno, granted I have been dismissive of metaphysical conceptions of karma and rebirth, but other aspects that on the surface look equally supernatural, like Tibetan yidams, could be quite useful when understood. For example, I am naturally misanthropic, I really just don't like people, I'm also quite manipulative, so the idea of having a meditational deity like Tara, something that embodies aspects I aspire to but lack (namely compassion for human beings) and visualising her positive attributes overwhelming my negative ones seems like it could be a helpful practice.
    Takeahnase wrote:
    Siddhartha is gone forever, but the Buddha lives in everyone of us.
    Oh that's what that thing is, I thought it was just a cyst. ;)
    edited August 2010
    :lol:
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited August 2010
    If you want to meet the next Buddha,just don't practice.
    I think Ajahn Chah said this.
  • edited August 2010
    Nidish,

I did not use the word 'myth' to mean a hoax.
    well yeah... I meant myth by saying hoax :P .... Dint get a better word that time...
  • edited August 2010
    @EDgeorge,
    The last line of The Heart Sutra is "Gate Gate Paaragate Paarasamgate Bodhi Svaaha" which translates - "Gone, Gone, gone to the other shore; Gone completely to the other shore. Svaha"... I guess you can understand from the above... It is gone completely to the other shore... But not "Out" of existence... It is still there, but it is also not there... :)
  • edited August 2010
    It's interesting that the o.p. asks if Maitreya is the anti-Christ. Here in Thailand, Christian missionaries actually say the opposite as a way of luring uninformed Buddhists into Christianity. They say: "Maitreya sounds like messiah, so Buddha was telling you to follow Jesus" (or something similar).