Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mindfulness for people with ADD

2»

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    So maybe the conclusions of these studies are inaccurate: it's not the meditation that's to blame for the negative effects, it's something that already exists within the person's mind.

I just used the abstracts. I could log into my uni's journal database and pull up the full articles, but to be honest, it takes too much effort. These sorts of things are normally mentioned in the 'limitations' section of the paper. I agree though, it would have to be something within the mind that's incompatible. It's also important to note that the cases are normally related to transcendental meditation, not mindfulness or compassion meditation.

But yeah, you're right.
  • edited October 2010
    I have also heard of a case of a person going "crazy" after practicing meditation seriously from a family friend. It's definitely not that meditation is inherently bad...though i think it should actually be precautioned for some people who are going about meditation by themselves without proper guidance...and are depressed or predisposed to mental issues.
    I think the way meditation can really get dangerous is ....without guidance...that ppl often instead of seeing thoughts and letting go or whatnot it may be....step into themselves...getting lost within themselves....creating more thoughts and getting involved in the emotional disturbances rather than seeing it as it is as letting go....and whilst this is happening thinking that they are really meditating? In this particular situation i believe meditation can actually be quite dangerous. I guess it all comes down to guidance in some respect?