Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Your personal spiritual lineage

edited December 2010 in Faith & Religion
Everyone has a personal spiritual lineage: The path of teachers/teachings that has brought them to wherever they happen to be at the moment. I thought it would be beneficial (and fun!) to share them with each other.

I'll start. I invite you to join in. :-)

rachMiel's Lineage:

Catholicism -> Krishnamurti -> Toni Packer -> Neo-paganism -> Seth -> Buddhism -> Eckhart Tolle -> Advaita -> Tibetan Buddhism -> Anam Thubten Rinpoche.

As an adult, I've never been drawn to Western spiritual approaches: Judeo-Christian religions, philosophy, New Age stuff, "metaphysical" science. Not that I don't find (some of) these fascinating, rather: I think the East got it as close to right as anyone's gotten it thus far, and right is what I'm looking for. :-)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Catholicism>>>>>fascination with all things Japanese>>>>>study of Feng Shui>>>>Study of Shiatsu>>>>>Study of Qi Gong>>>>>>My mother buying me "The Tibetan Book of Living & Dying>>>>>>The rest, as they say.....
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Dukka --> Money, Partying, Sex, Drugs, Rock & Roll, etc., etc. --> Dukka --> Buddhism. :)
  • edited September 2010
    Hooray for dukka! Where would we be without it ... ? ;-)
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Ok I'll share :)

Catholicism (Jewish heritage) - Buddhism - Wicca - Kemetic Orthodoxy - Buddhism (with theistic leanings that I'm working on/with).

In metta,
    Raven
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited September 2010
    First intro as a teenager......My older sister took me to see her teacher . He was Tibetan, Tomo Geshe Rinpoche. He laughed alot and told stories through a translator who also laughed alot.

After that... took up Theosophy, which lead to Vedanta, which lead to Buddha Dharma in 1989, took refuge in 90, took the Bodhisattva vows in 97.
  • edited September 2010
    Catholicism (Jewish heritage)
    Wha ... ?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2010
    federica wrote: »
    "The Tibetan Book of Living & Dying"

That was also my very first book about eastern religions/philosophies. It caused many very weird and sometimes scary "I'm dying!" dreams. :)
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited September 2010
    For me:

1 Deep sense of the importance of "God" as a child. Vague practice of Christianity with family...no church though.
    2. Beatles/Maharishi (the actual Beatle meeting with Maharishi was about 10 years earlier, but I was influenced by it when I was around 12)
    3. "The Teachings of Buddha" My first spiritual book my Mom randomly bought at a flea market.
    4. Weed, weed, and more weed.
    5. Paramahansa Yogananda
    6. Carl Sagan/ rational atheistic science
    7. Anglican church (reeeeealy good looking girl in the choir...turned out to be trouble!)
    8. Return to Hindu ideas...especialy Vedanta and Hare Krishna
    9. Soto Zen, via Shasta Abbey
    10. Thich Nhat Hanh
    11. Jodo Shinshu
    12. I seem to have a renewed interest in Soto these days, but still practice Shin as well.
  • edited September 2010

Agnostic -> brief New Age dabbling -> Tibetan Buddhism -> Theravada Thai Forest Tradition.

• edited September 2010
    Tibetan book of the dead. That book was way to complex for me !!
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Agnostic - 12 Step practitioner - New Age investigation - Christian investigation - Catholic confirmation and practice - Buddhist investigation - Tibetan Buddhism practitioner.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Interest in Christianity --> atheist ---> confused about religion ---> Punk rock status ----> Noah Levine (author of Dharma Punx) ---> Buddhist meditation ---> Buddha Dharma ---> Took refuge ---> Interest in Mormonism
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited September 2010
    rachMiel wrote: »
    Wha ... ?

I was raised a Catholic by a strict Catholic father and a non religious Jewish mother. Oddly enough I embrace my Jewishness far more eagerly than my Catholic background (I guess if I was ok with my Catholic background, I'd still BE a Catholic ;) )

In metta,
    Raven
  • edited September 2010
    I was raised a Catholic by a strict Catholic father and a non religious Jewish mother.
    We must be mirror twins ... I was raised a Catholic by a devout Catholic mother and a non religious Jewish father. ;-)
  • edited September 2010
    Christian Science sunday school; science fiction; agnosticism; Soka Gakkai (Nichiren Buddhist); Lotus Sutra; Science of Mind; Nichiren Shu (Nichiren Buddhist).
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Roman Catholicism - TM - Soto Zen - Rinzai Zen - Native American Shamanism - Wicca - Refuge and Bodhisattva vows witn HHDL XIV - Gelugpa Tibetan Buddhism
  • edited September 2010
    agnostic - 12 step as well- christian-occultist-rosicrucian-martinist-western philosophy-hindusim-taoism-therevada buddhist-zen buddhist-tibetan buddhist.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Nothing -> Greek, Norse & Egyptian mythology -> Christianity (briefly) -> Satanism (devil-worship -> LeVay's hedonistic materialism) -> I-want-to-kill-everyone -> Paganism -> Jewish mysticism -> don't-give-a-fuck -> Theravada Buddhism (Ajahn Chah & Thanissaro Bhikkhu).
  • edited September 2010
    rather lax childhood catholicism/ superlite christianity into adolescence ---> agnosticism/atheism ---> suffrin' like a muffin & a puffin in college years, interest in buddhism ---> light general buddhism ---> slowly momentuming buddhism, spiritual casserole ----> zen buddhism
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    up, down, left, right, A, B, A...no...that's how you unlock "Kool Stuff" on Mortal Kombat...it's amazing the useless junk my brain holds on to.
  • edited September 2010
    raised on moderate Christianity (church, prayers, but not forced to believe)-->connection to Islam at age 16-->strong connection to Buddhism at the same age-->love of all three religions-->strong interest in Hinduism
  • still_learningstill_learning Veteran
    edited September 2010
    My family is Chinese Buddhism/Daoism ---> Christian for a few years ---> Atheist (realized that some things in Christianity just didn't make sense) ---> Agnostic (just can't shake the feeling that someone is watching over me) ---> "Born-again-Buddhist" (only religion/way-of-life that makes sense to me and feels right)
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Born into a Protestant Christian family ---> Considered myself Christian I suppose ---> Some sort of "spiritual" person that just believed in an omnipotent force that flows through everything... sort of like Jedi stuff I guess hahah ---> Agnostic (Started to doubt what I grew up believing) ---> Militant Atheist (Angry) ---> Buddhist (un-official as in i haven't taken the refuge vow or anything, but I'm working on that)
  • edited September 2010
    raised on moderate Christianity (church, prayers, but not forced to believe)-->connection to Islam at age 16-->strong connection to Buddhism at the same age-->love of all three religions-->strong interest in Hinduism
    ha ha that's an interesting recipe!
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Catholic school for elementary (6 years)>>> Agnostic >>> Mixed martial arts through my young teens >>> Zen >>> Kendo (3 years)>>> Chen Taichi >>> Kung Fu >>> Eastern philosophy >>> Zen Buddhism >>> Qigong >>>Tibetan Buddhism >>> Theravada Buddhism >>> Agnostic/Buddhist without a label
  • edited September 2010
    Thoughtless secularist - Fundamentalist Christian - Atheist - Existentialist - bitofeveythingist - liberal Christian - Buddhist (Theravada) - Buddhist (Theravada) interested in Mahayana - Pure Land Buddhist - Wonderingaboutlabelsandjustwhattheyareworthist.

:)
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Kadampa...
  • edited September 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    up, down, left, right, A, B, A...no...that's how you unlock "Kool Stuff" on Mortal Kombat...it's amazing the useless junk my brain holds on to.

Dont Feel bad I still remember the blood code for the sega version of MK and the Level Select code for Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Not to mention my favorite past time acting along with the Jill intro to Resident Evil. aHHHH The Jill Sandwhich bit still makes me chuckle.

christianity---->Agnostic
    > Norse religion----> Buddhism
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Oh wow let me see if I can remember.

Lutheran Christianity -> Atheism -> Wicca -> Asatru -> Necromancy -> Agnostic Secular Humanist -> Zen Buddhism

I think thats all.
  • edited September 2010
    Roman Catholic > 23 years of Shotokan Karate > interest in Japanese culture > Soto meditation > The Art of Living (Sri Sri Ravi Shankar) > Thich Nhat Hanh; transmission of Five Mindfulness Trainings and refuge in 2006
  • edited September 2010
    Fun~

Raised christian, turned Agnostic due to total disbelief in christianity, then I fell into the Occult and Enochian Magick, picked up a book called the art of power one day and fell heavily into Buddhism and meditation. But I constantly study religions. From Ancient Egyptians too Norse mythology, studying belief patterns of our ancestors is a great exercise of self exploration and discovery.
  • chanrattchanratt Veteran
    edited November 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    Dukka --> Money, Partying, Sex, Drugs, Rock & Roll, etc., etc. --> Dukka --> Buddhism. :)

^^^^
    what he said, although i should add a few:

me, me, me, me--->Buddhism
  • edited November 2010
    Fundamentalist Christian-->somewhat less fundamentalist Christian-->personal grudge against Christians coupled with a lack of caring about religion (but not God)-->getting over some of my issues and attending church again as a non-fundamentalist Christian-->receipt of what I thought was a call to ministry-->sincere examination and criticism of my faith-->earth-shattering realization that non of my beliefs were based on any real evidence, and that many of them were not true-->attempts to use various heresies to make my faith make sense and seem more reasonable-->realization that I was dishonestly trying to "build God in my own image"-->atheism-->realization that it made no sense to label myself based on a non-belief, and that it made no sense to say "I don't believe in God" when I had no working definition of what "God" meant-->ignosticism
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Somewhat similar to Jason's...
    ___________,-> Atheist
    >...
    Christianity -> Norse mythology -> LaVey's Satanism -> Slavic mythology -> Buddhism
    ___________'- Read about Buddhism once in a while.

Ofcourse I didn't actually care that much about mythology, but it's interesting to read about. Also, my brother is heavily into some neo Slavic paganist religion which claims that the Vedas are a Slavic text which was brought into India. It's basically a cross between Slavic paganism and Hinduism. Very interesting to read about.
  • edited November 2010
    Strict Catholic upbringing ,hash, magic mushrooms lsd,a strange yoga cult.Tibetan Buddhism,Thai Buddhism,Burmese and Thich Nhat Hanh.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Pieter wrote: »
    Roman Catholic > 23 years of Shotokan Karate > interest in Japanese culture > Soto meditation > The Art of Living (Sri Sri Ravi Shankar) > Thich Nhat Hanh; transmission of Five Mindfulness Trainings and refuge in 2006

WOW! Interesting!

By contrast, mine is mostly boring, except for Sarvagatanandaji and the Anglicanism and the Buddhism and the Catholicism and the puberty and the Atheistic tendencies...:

Devout Roman Catholic through puberty
    > Roman Catholic with serious Atheistic tendencies
    > Episcopalian (C of E, USA) with intense interest in Orthodox Church and Buddhism
    > Vedantist Episcopalian initiated by Swami Sarvagatananda
    > Vedantist, friend of many churches, inspired by Buddhist Dharma
    > Having Achieved the State of Grace Wherein I no longer look down at Baptists:nonono:
  • edited November 2010
    Raised Catholic by my grandmother but I had doubts about it and disagreed with aspects of it very early on. Practiced Dianic Wicca from junior high to about my early 20's, then became agnostic with atheistic leanings, then agnostic, now a baby Buddhist. ^_^
  • edited November 2010
    Hi all. New guy on the block here...
    Lutheran > Non-Aligned Christian > Atheist Socratic Psychology Student > Castaneda/Ram Das(Neem)/John Lilly/Alan Watts > Read 'Goddard's Buddhist Bible' and knew I was home > Zen > Tibetan > Non-Aligned Buddhist aka Dharma-bum
  • edited November 2010
    Another new guy here..

Catholicism->Facination with eastern thought->self study of Fedual Japanese Culture->reading a bit of Taoism/Art of War->many lost years of Agnostic/Atheist living(drinking, sex,etc)->Soto Zen(with bits of other Buddhist Traditions mixed in)
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Former Roman Catholics still ahead, numbering 11!

Some proclivity there?
  • edited November 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Former Roman Catholics still ahead, numbering 11!

Some proclivity there?
    It's the largest denomination in the largest religion, no?
  • edited November 2010
    raised seventh day adventist, agnostic, taoism, hinduism, tibetan buddhism, therevada thai-lao buddhism, judaism, buddhism, islam, christianity-catholocism, cambodian buddhism with limited elements of jesus' teachings
  • edited November 2010
    I grew up in a traditional Conservitive Jewish home. Many of the teachings are wonderful and allow for much thought and self inprovement.

What tends to be missing a bit in the west are the aspects of mind training that are needed to aquire a good understanding of where you are as a person.

As the Buddhist path is not a religon per say, but a scientific methiod of Mind training, there is no true conflict between the two worlds, or with any other Religon.
  • zider_redzider_red Explorer
    edited November 2010
    Marxism > Paganism > Buddhism > Sakya Buddhism
  • edited November 2010
    Agonistic>atheism>Buddhism
  • edited November 2010
    Taoism>Zen/Buddhism> and now whatever mix of everything I've taken from here and there..
  • edited November 2010
    Zen is Buddhism :p
  • edited November 2010
    Are you sure zen is something you can name?
  • edited November 2010
    TheFound wrote: »
    Are you sure zen is something you can name?
    Zen's lineage is directly transmitted from the Buddha to MahaKasyapa. Originally called "Ch'an" when first brought from India to China by Bodhidharma, when Japan adapted the teachings the called it Zen.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Memories ...
    then Raja Yoga (mum was a direct student of Yogananda's) ...
    then briefly Catholicism alongside Yoga ...
    then a long period of agnosticism ...
    then tough tough times and applied Karma Yoga ...
    then a blessing and Buddhism