Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mysticism

WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
edited November 2010 in Philosophy
Hi all,

I have noted some of lack of acceptance verging on aversion in otherwise quite accepting Buddhists for mysticism. Maybe it is related to our constant need for rationalisation and anything that apparently violates reason is considered ridiculous. Some writers when they want to dismiss something as not worthy of consideration form an association with the considered object and mysticism.

So my question is this: do you consider mysticism in Buddhism as something valid? Do you think that mystics, or more correctly those who are considered mystics, are discouraged from speaking their mind? Any other thoughts in relation to this?

Cheers, WK

Comments

• AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited September 2010
    The question is one I have thought about often. I understand the desire people have to believe only that which they can verify with their eyes. In many ways, Buddhism has demanded that is the way we need to proceed. However, it creates situations where the unexplained can be ignored and not dealt with in a rational way.

There are far too many examples of phenomena we don't understand. To dismiss them out of hand misses the point entirely. People sometimes do have knowledge that can't be explained by what we see. There are times when people have experienced something that is not comprehendible.

Openness to new ideas is not always the practice of scientists. If they can't see it, they don't believe it. Yet there are so many things they cannot see. Ignoring them is no better than explaining away a phenomenon based on ignorance and superstition. That is the thing I worry about with science.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Openness to new ideas is not always the practice of scientists. If they can't see it, they don't believe it. Yet there are so many things they cannot see. Ignoring them is no better than explaining away a phenomenon based on ignorance and superstition. That is the thing I worry about with science.
    And how does mysticism explain things in a way that differs from superstition?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Mysticism does not explain anything. It's not its task any more than music explains itself. It is experience not explanation.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Have always liked this quote which tends to sum up mysticism in my mind -

" Suffering predisposes the mind to devoutness; and most young girls, prompted by instinctive tenderness, lean towards mysticism, the obscurer side of religion " .. Honoré De Balzac ( 19th Century French novelist )
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I don't know. Let me astral project into the future and ask Maitreya Buddha and I'll get back to you. ;)
  • edited September 2010
    the thing is dear boy i believe mysticism is something which inherently seeks to transcend such categorizations of validity and invalidity, which i daresay runs quite compatibly with buddhism at times, which is a very mystical religion, dare i say, at times. nirvana is the principle element of the buddha's fruit, and once you peer deep into this fruit, there is something quite mysterious that peers back. however, that is not to mean that the mystic impulse is not stifled often within buddhism, old chap.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Whoknows wrote: »
    Hi all,

Do you think that mystics, or more correctly those who are considered mystics, are discouraged from speaking their mind? Any other thoughts in relation to this?
    it is better not to speak out
    those who do not believe in such things would think s/he has a mental disorder
    edited September 2010
    Working in the area of mental health, and having experience of working with people experiencing mental illness has led me to see that many who have hallucinations and delusional beliefs ( either as a result of being acutely psychotic due to drug induced phenomona or a exacerbations of conditions such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder or more ongoing in nature ) frequently incorporate mystical and religious themes in their experience ... my ex husband maintained that drugs were a legitimate avenue to opening up to these understandings and that drugs merely took you where you were going anyway - my work suggests otherwise.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2010
    andyrobyn wrote: »
    people experiencing mental illness has led me to see that many who have hallucinations and delusional beliefs ( either as a result of being acutely psychotic due to drug induced phenomona or a exacerbations of conditions such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder or more ongoing in nature ) frequently incorporate mystical and religious themes in their experience ...

if they would lucky enough to meet Buddha's Teaching and a good meditation teacher (I mean, Good and Genuine meditation teacher), they would know where to look into when they see things or hear things

if one looks into things outside they would go crazy
    if they know how to look into inside they would be able to see the Reality and the Truth

without doubt these type of people are people lost in their journey because they are borne into wrong places where no one knows what is reality or no one knows there is a reality to be found
  • edited September 2010
    I don't think there is anything wrong with mysticism other than when it is presented as a fact others should accept without evidence.

I like the way Simon put it "It is experience not explanation".

If I were to have an experience tonite wherein I was able to sit down with the Buddha and have a conversation with him I would not then tell others about it and expect to be greeted with anything other than skepticism. Why would I expect anything other than skepticism?

Would I really expect everyone to uncritically say "Really?!!!, how neat! Could I pay you to tell me what he said?"

Of course nobody would believe me, nor should they. If someone did believe me I would think them a very ripe target for con artists. An open mind is great, but a mind so open that it will accept whatever it likes uncritically is dangerous.
    edited September 2010
    andyrobyn wrote: »
    many who have .... delusional beliefs

According to Buddhism, this accurately describes 99.99% of human beings.
    edited September 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    According to Buddhism, this accurately describes 99.99% of human beings.

Very true - the psychiatric definition of delusional is far narrower than the Buddhist understanding ... it can be seen that delusional thinking impairs an individuals ability to relate accurately to the world - sometimes delusional beliefs upset others far more than the one who holds them ;)( especially in a psychiatric sense )
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Claiming that all of the unexplained is delusion does not explain knowledge that a person should not have. How does one on occasion, find manners in which people were killed, where to find the bodies, and identifying information about killers. Is this delusion?

And there are incidents where young people have much more knowledge than can be explained by science. I believe the Dalai Lama has met young people who he feels have been reincarnated and provides legitimacy to these kinds of claims. This from the Dalai Lama who is a staunch supporter of science. Anyone who believes the Dalai Lama does not keep his mind open when considering mysticism (for lack of a better word) doesn't truly know the man.
  • edited September 2010
    username_5 wrote: »
    I don't think there is anything wrong with mysticism other than when it is presented as a fact others should accept without evidence.

I like the way Simon put it "It is experience not explanation".

If I were to have an experience tonite wherein I was able to sit down with the Buddha and have a conversation with him I would not then tell others about it and expect to be greeted with anything other than skepticism. Why would I expect anything other than skepticism?

Would I really expect everyone to uncritically say "Really?!!!, how neat! Could I pay you to tell me what he said?"

Of course nobody would believe me, nor should they. If someone did believe me I would think them a very ripe target for con artists. An open mind is great, but a mind so open that it will accept whatever it likes uncritically is dangerous.
    no one would believe you because gentle old sid hasn't been in this part of town for years!!
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I think there is an assumption (from those who consider themselves rational), that those who find value in mysticism are naive, stupid or just gullible. And those who promote mysticism are trying to rip people off, prey on their weaknesses, etc.

I think mystics should have their right to free speech as do others. That does not mean that what they say should be left unchallenged. But the assumption that mysticism = idiocy is false. I am not advocating undisciplined mixing of incompatible doctrines, but even this action, which is not right for me, could be valid for someone else. Each person needs to find their own way, and what right do we have to deny people their own personal path?

I like the quote in BA Wallace Choosing Reality (paraphrased): 'What we observe is nature exposed to our method of investigation' ....rather than a purely objective reality out there.

I think part of the problem is that mysticism is defined subconsciously in negative terms. It is used commonly used as a derogative term by modern day, unreflective realists.

Meditation leads to experience, the experience is a mystical experience. That doesn't destroy its validity.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Mysticism is niether here nor there in Dharmic terms. Conditions are conditions are conditions are......

I have not been taught aversion to mysticism, and do not hear in from others. It's just that conditions are conditions are conditions are....

An experience of Cosmic order ..... an experience of the subway on a Monday morning. Which is more holy? Any teacher who is legitimate will not waste time on mystical diversions. They are niether here nor there.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I understand the desire people have to believe only that which they can verify with their eyes.

I don't know about you but I meditate with my eyes closed. :D
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    An experience of Cosmic order ..... an experience of the subway on a Monday morning. Which is more holy? Any teacher who is legitimate will not waste time on mystical diversions. They are niether here nor there.

As Ajahn Sumedho might say "interesting, but not liberating".
  • edited September 2010
    What a great thread!. I believe that mysticism is not the expanatory area either. Its experiential. Every mystic i've read is not so much into the explanation but the experience of what this this that we think about actually is. I think its like emotional epistimology or ontology. But it has a religious component that borderlines emotional. Therefore it is useful as a subjective experience but not so much as a method or guide. Basically mysticism is a mirror that we can look into to check our experience.
  • edited September 2010
    I think many of us have had an experience that could be considered mystical. I would not consider these experiences important in the sense that they lead to liberation, but I feel better for having had them.

The experience I am thinking of most will relate to as many of us have had it. It's the experience of being calmed, feeling serene, experience a sense of 'everything is OK' and seeing ourselves as being a very small part of the whole.

For me sitting on the edge of a body of water, particularly one I can't see across sometimes evokes this mystical experience. Some have reported similar experiences from being in the desert or other areas that are vast. Others have reported it occuring while listening to particular music.

I consider such experiences mystical in nature. I also consider them common to humans and I also consider them to have value although I don't think I can pin down what, specifically, the value is.
  • edited September 2010
    mysticism gets a bad wrap because people somehow conflate it with superstition or fantastical stories etc.
    Mysticism is nothing more than experiences.
    Mysticism in the truest sense of the word has a pretty solid place in Buddhism (and every other wisdom tradition). Buddhism has a set of very rational guidelines and philosophical tenets, but the experiences that practitioners have through the methods of Buddhist practice could easily be considered mysticism in that they are an "experience" of ones own nature, or the pursuit of some kind of spiritual "truth" or "nature".
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Mysticism is niether here nor there in Dharmic terms.

what is Dibba-chakku (devine eye)?
    what is Dibba-sota (devine ear)?
  • edited September 2010
    Divine eye and Divine Ears are part of 5 categories that are explained in Maitreya's Ornament of Clear Realization.
    edited September 2010
    upekka wrote: »
    what is Dibba-chakku (devine eye)?
    what is Dibba-sota (devine ear)?

...something it is unskillful to dwell on, especially on a forum for new kids who would just loooove to get into something really extra-ordinary. The truth of suffering, the origin of suffering, and the ending of suffering are the matter at hand. Do highly devoloped "mystical" faculties serve that end? Do you know anyone who would benefit from dwelling on that? Would someone who developed them dwell on them?...... talk about them?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Further along the path my teacher has stated that a bodhisattva does cultivate mystical powers such as clairovoyance.

But the motivation for these powers is as a skillful means to liberate beings. It is rather like if you were a bodhisattva and you were in a culture of football (soccer) fanatics you might learn something about the sport so that you could appear attractive to others. So that you could teach them the dharma. Ahhh I can never think of examples there is a disconnect in my explanation. But the point is that the mystical abilities are developed in order to help beings.

From my level of practice I don't know whether that is true or not of course. If you have no 'mystic consiousness' then you don't have to worry about it. And if you do then you at first have to worry about whether you are simply insane!
  • edited September 2010
    when you can't do zazen, just dance
    edited September 2010
    The deliberate development of these faculties in Vajrayana is something closely supervised right? ...and only after the practitioner has gone through many preliminaries and is not susceptible to having all kinds of pathologies develop. at least this is my outsiders understanding. In Zen the siddhis are seen as beside the point.
  • edited September 2010
    Vajrayana is different than mysticism. The dakini visions are more like our conventional mysticism
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2010
    ...something it is unskillful to dwell on,
    fully agree
    especially on a forum for new kids who would just loooove to get into something really extra-ordinary.
    who are the new kids?
    just because someone is at younger age or new to a forum, can we say they are new to Buddha's Teaching?
    whether we believe it or not, we have been tread this path before
    and that is why we are here
    The truth of suffering, the origin of suffering, and the ending of suffering are the matter at hand.
    True
    Do you know anyone who would benefit from dwelling on that?
    Do highly devoloped "mystical" faculties serve that end? Would someone who developed them dwell on them?...... talk about them?
    i can not talk for others
    in my case, i do not dwell on such things and do not advice anyone to dwell on them
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Richard this is at the bodhisattva level. And you would seek guidance of a guru, but at that level I suppose you would have direct vision of the buddha through samboghakaya. Remember bodhisattva vows and being an actual bodhisattva are not the same thing (that might be wrong what do I know).

Richard I am pretty novice practitioner and I aspire to even become a 'hearer' which is actually quite an accomplishment. I came in contact with this idea through study course on the jewel ornament of liberation. The 6 paramitas are part of the study of the bodhisatva and mystical powers were mentioned in the context of the 6 paramitas in JOL. Generosity, ethics, forbearance, joyous effort, concentration, and wisdom.
    edited September 2010
    upekka wrote: »
    who are the new kids?
    The teenagers and early twenty somethings who routinely demonstrate the great energy, openness, intelligence and fascinations that I and pretty much every other practitioner I know had at that age.
    edited September 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    I came in contact with this idea through study course on the jewel ornament of liberation. The 6 paramitas are part of the study of the bodhisatva and mystical powers were mentioned in the context of the 6 paramitas in JOL. Generosity, ethics, forbearance, joyous effort, concentration, and wisdom.
    The paramitas are developed in Zen as well, but I do not know how it lines up with the Tibetan approach. The Vajrayana is unique. Good luck on your path.
  • edited September 2010
    The 6 Paramitas are the basis of all Mahayana approaches. Tibetan included. And since the Vajrayana is seen to be a subset of the Mahayana in the sense that the Pratimoksha and Bodhisattva vows are considered foundations to the Vajrayana samaya vows, it lines up perfectly
    edited September 2010
    What Is not as easy to line up is the differing approaches to "psychic" faculties. There is nothing like the tantric practices and shamanic-like elements of Tibetan Buddhism in Zen or Theravada. There are differences that make Tibetan buddhism unique. There are different attitudes it seems around the issues raised in the OP.
  • edited September 2010
    If you read the stories of the Mahasiddhas and look through some of the practice texts of Tibetan Buddhism, you'd find that the Siddhis are also considered by-products of your practice, and nothing to be sought. They are called Mundane Siddhis
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I think in the Sutta's the Buddha may have said something like "the best psychic power is the ability to teach the Dhamma". And in another Sutta there was a yogi who was trying to develop the psychic ability to walk on water and as far as I remember the Buddha said something like "you are wasting your time, the ferryman will take you across for a small fee".

Anyone who can confirm what I say with the source would be appreciated (I have a bad memory when it comes to what came from where).
  • edited September 2010
    zen does encounter mystical states but it lets them pass, ergo making a mystical experience of non mystical states.
    edited September 2010
    zen does encounter mystical states but it lets them pass, ergo making a mystical experience of non mystical states.
    As does Theravada as well. So it does appear that there is alignment across the board regarding dwelling on mysticism. Conditions are conditions after all.
  • edited September 2010
    I do agree that conditions are conditions, however the realization is in itself a sort of mysticism. Mysticism is usually defined as a inner subjective state that makes oneself identify with a higher purpose or ideal. The key word is identify. When we identify we tie our identity of self to the ideal. What buddhism does is disidentify with phenonemena of self and objects , hence producing the knowledge or wisdom of the mystic.
  • edited September 2010
    Don't know if this is particularly relevant or not (:)) but I consider myself as a scientific rationalist/mystic and find no problems with that whatsoever.
    IMHO the scientist attempts to understand and describe the workings and wonders of the Universe while the mystic attempts to merge or unite with it.
    From my personal experience, terminology, taxonomy and nomenclature are very often the cause of much confusion.
    The terms "mystic" and "scientific rationalist" may well have a different meaning to me as they might have to others.
    Hope my small contribution is of some benefit. :)
  • edited September 2010
    It's possible that I may have misunderstood some of these replies but it seems to me that some posters have associated mysticism with the aquisition of powers (whatever they may be ;))
    The greatest power that can be attained in most schools of mysticism is the ability to transform oneself.
    The aquisition of minor powers is generally the province of, for want of a better term - Magic.
    Magic and mysticism are different leaves or branches of the same tree.
    Related but different. :)
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited September 2010
    He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know.
    Lao Tzu
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Lao Tzu

Sounds good and doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Fortune cookie philosophy.
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Lao Tzu

Lao Tzu spoke these words. So by his own logic, he did not know. Hmmm. LOL :)
    edited September 2010
    Sounds good and doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Fortune cookie philosophy.

Then perhaps we should stop "making fun" of people who claim "I got enlightenment"?
  • edited September 2010
    Well buddhism recognizes supernatural abilities are able to be developed in the process of awakening. That being said, I don't see what the big deal about mysticism is.
    edited September 2010
    Sakyamuni Buddha manifested supernatural powers and also was against supernatural powers.

They are by-products that arise during one’s practice and are illusory.

The Buddha also stated in the sutras that one must not become attached to supernatural powers. Such teachings were directed at those who were at the beginning stage of realizing their original nature and dharmakaya in order to protect them. If practitioners who are at the beginning stage of realizing the true nature or true-suchness of all phenomena become attached to supernatural powers, they will fall into that which is conditioned. They will then be practicing heresy.

Not exactly a fortune cookie philosophy but sort of a big deal......
  • edited September 2010
    Of course you shouldn't become attached to the powers, as you shouldn't be attached to anything, but I don't see the problem with having/using them.
    edited September 2010
    Having/using them = attachment to the illusory.

Not a problem - just a misunderstanding....
  • edited September 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    Of course you shouldn't become attached to the powers, as you shouldn't be attached to anything, but I don't see the problem with having/using them.

Don't worry about the super powers, you won't be getting any on your road to enlightenment. Just focus on awakening.