Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Criticisms of Buddhism

13»

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    Saddened by this thread. Read through the whole thing to see some different viewpoints, but 90% of it is anti-Vajrayana sex stuff, way off the mark of being about reincarnation/rebirth. Gotta go to the dentist now, what a waste of time... *sigh*

Namaste

Ditto, Kiddo ('cept for the dentist now part)!
  • edited November 2010
    I don't get the beef people have about Vajrayana. It's just a practice and if it doesn't work for someone find another one.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Stay tuned to the "Abuses of Power" thread. I'm outa here.
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    edited December 2010
    A side I have not seen of the dalai lama before. I can not watch anymore, but it happens in the start of the video, have a look. Dalai Lama refuses to acknowledge the argument presented by interviewer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1dILwsmwCQ&feature=related

Or maybe its the program that is contriving these rumors? What do you think?

I meant this comment to the dorje shugden controversy an the violence occuring from it, which I dont know personally, but which seems apparent from these videos
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I missed the part you're talking about. This whole controversy is such a painful thing.

I can't speak to this program, as to its motives. But I've seen several times Al Jazeera staff poking their cameras at the Dalai Lama deliberately at awkward moments, just to get an expression of annoyance on film.
  • edited December 2010
    Fenix wrote: »
    A side I have not seen of the dalai lama before. I can not watch anymore, but it happens in the start of the video, have a look. Dalai Lama refuses to acknowledge the argument presented by interviewer

I meant this comment to the dorje shugden controversy an the violence occuring from it, which I dont know personally, but which seems apparent from these videos
    BS.
    The interviewer isnt presenting an argument. She is presenting assumptions.
    The Dalai Lama has asked that people stop propitiating a gyalpo, and that those who continue to do so, not attend his teachings. That is all.
    The provocations of gyalpos are considered to be quite harmful.
    If you want to talk about violence look into the murder of Lobsang Gyatso. Lobsang Gyatso along with two other monks were murdered by people involved with gyalpo worship.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Fenix wrote: »

I dont want to speak Harshly of HH but many people forget he has a political side as well...Disagreement with the Dalai lama is tantamount to treason.
    Those poor monks have been treated abominably. :(
  • edited December 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    I dont want to speak Harshly of HH but many people forget he has a political side as well...Disagreement with the Dalai lama is tantamount to treason.
    Those poor monks have been treated abominably. :(

Nonsense.
    Many people have disagreed with HHDL and have not faced anything even remotely similar to accusations of "treason".
    If this were true the youth movement that directly opposes the so-called "Middle Way" approach with China would be under a lot of pressure. The truth is that their opinions are respected and they are completely free to organize and discuss alternative methods for dealing with the Chinese occupation.
    edited December 2010
    Nonsense.
    Many people have disagreed with HHDL and have not faced anything even remotely similar to accusations of "treason".

What happens to people whom disagree with the Dalai lama within the Tibetan community they are treated as pariahs, Isolated and Intimidated.
    This has always been the history of the Dalai lamas ever since they attained political power From the Destructions of the Jonangpas to the Explusion of Dorje shugden practitoners.

For as much as I respect His Holiness for bringing such attention and world wide fame to Buddhism I cannot abide his actions with regards to certain issues people should be free from Intimidation when performing their religious practises wether one regards a said deity as a Spirit or as An emination of Manjushri.

Buddha always urged us to use wisdom when Investigating Phenomena rather then Total blind faith with regards to whatever is said or done.

May His Holiness be well. :)
  • edited December 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    This has always been the history of the Dalai lamas ever since they attained political power From the Destructions of the Jonangpas to the Explusion of Dorje shugden practitoners.

For as much as I respect His Holiness for bringing such attention and world wide fame to Buddhism I cannot abide his actions with regards to certain issues people should be free from Intimidation when performing their religious practises wether one regards a said deity as a Spirit or as An emination of Manjushri.

Historically you are correct that the political institution of the Dalai Lama been involved with gross persecutions, the persecution of the Jonangpa's is an excellent example of this.
    The problem is that the current Dalai Lama is being accused of this by gyalpo worshipers and its simply untrue. As I stated before HHDL only asked that they either stop doing the practice and if they chose not to that they not come to his teachings. He is in no way involved in any intimidation or pariah treatment involving the whole DS issue. Its been completely fabricated by people who either have an interest in tainting the Dalai Lama's international appearance or in reinstating a hardline Gelugpa governing body to the exile community.
    The Manjushri/gyalpo argument is absurd really. Nobody even thought of considering DS to be anything other than a gyalpo until Pabonkha made up the Manjushri nonsense in a misguided attempt to continue propagating a dangerous and highly volitile gyalpo in the early 20th century. I know you find this offensive and I apologize for that but your involvement with the people who propagate a revised history of the situation clearly influences your ability to see beyond their rhetoric.
    edited December 2010
    Historically you are correct that the political institution of the Dalai Lama been involved with gross persecutions, the persecution of the Jonangpa's is an excellent example of this.
    The problem is that the current Dalai Lama is being accused of this by gyalpo worshipers and its simply untrue. As I stated before HHDL only asked that they either stop doing the practice and if they chose not to that they not come to his teachings. He is in no way involved in any intimidation or pariah treatment involving the whole DS issue. Its been completely fabricated by people who either have an interest in tainting the Dalai Lama's international appearance or in reinstating a hardline Gelugpa governing body to the exile community.
    The Manjushri/gyalpo argument is absurd really. Nobody even thought of considering DS to be anything other than a gyalpo until Pabonkha made up the Manjushri nonsense in a misguided attempt to continue propagating a dangerous and highly volitile gyalpo in the early 20th century. I know you find this offensive and I apologize for that but your involvement with the people who propagate a revised history of the situation clearly influences your ability to see beyond their rhetoric.

Friend It is more the actions of the Dalai lamas loyal followers I am concerned about in the way that they may treat those whom still follow their lineage gurus with regards to Dorje shugden, I will let the experiences of those whom live there and experience such speak for themselves regardless of wether one chooses to believe such things or not. :)

No Dear Shenpen you will actually find there is a valid basis for seeing Dorje shugden as an emination of Manjushri, As Im sure you are aware Tulku Dragpa Gyaltsen whom was regarded as the reincarnation of the estemed enlightened being Panchen sonam Dragpa Gyaltsen later became the protector Dorje shugden to fulfil the special promise he had made in a previous life to the protector Nechung as an uncommon protector of the Doctrine of Je Tsongkhapa, The Great Je Phabongkha was not the originator of this but it was infact his own Guru Tagphu Padmavajrawhom went directly to Tushita Pureland and recieved this practise.

"The current system of empowerment and worship is more recent and comes from a great Lama called Tagphu Padmavajra . Lama Tagphu went to Tushita Pure Land where he met Je Tsongkhapa and requested a teaching. In response, Je Tsongkhapa lifted up the cloth covering the front of the golden throne on which he was sitting, and the five lineages of Dorje Shugden emerged. Dorje Shugden then transmitted the practice to Lama Tagphu, just as Maitreya had transmitted five major philosophical treatises to Asanga in Tushita Pure Land in earlier times."

Many great masters of the Gelugpa Lineage in recent times have been practitoners yet we know relying upon a worldly spirit as an object of refuge will cause rebirth in the hell realms so why is it do you think that these beings whom have relied upon Dorje shugden as an enlightened protector have not been born In the hell but yet returned to help once again teach and spread the Dharma ?

Besides Im rather keen on Lama Zopas advise if your an non practitoner it is better to keep ones mouth closed as if Dorje shugden is an arya being as said then one would be incurring some very heavy negative karma by making such remarks. Better not to take any chance eh ?

Besides If I and many other Gelugpas are going to Hell as you so Infer then we will certainly be able to help other sentient beings there. :tonguec:

Well wishes.
  • edited December 2010
    I can think of no greater insult to Lama Tsongkhapa this.
    edited December 2010
    I can think of no greater insult to Lama Tsongkhapa this.

Continue on with what you are doing then friend and we shall continue on with what we are doing...Dont want any disturbed minds now do we :o
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2010
    This thread on "Criticisms of Buddhism" appears to have been hijacked by the nasty arguments from an internecine 'war' between two Tibetan groups.

For many of us the whole argument goes against what our teachers shared with us about the Noble Eightfold Path and is a scandal. It all turns on what many of us, too, would see as simply a matter of which superstition some choose to believe.

Insofar as this pertains to criticisms of Buddhism, it must be just that: Buddhism is, in so many places, tainted with superstitious practices and beliefs. It makes one wonder if such superstition is an inevitable consequence.
This discussion has been closed.