Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Unmistaken Child

zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifelessin a dry wasteland Veteran
edited December 2010 in Arts & Writings
has anyone seen this movie? what did you think?

from netflix:
"Filmmaker Nati Baratz follows the spellbinding journey of Tibetan Buddhist monk Tenzin Zopa as he travels far and wide to identify the child who is the reincarnation of his deceased master, Lama Konchog. Acting on instructions from the Dalai Lama, the shy Zopa relies on astrology, dreams and other signs to locate the child, knowing that if he succeeds, he must also convince the boy's parents to release their child into his care."

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Unmistaken-Child/70109096?strackid=20ba15cb907e186_0_srl&strkid=642131526_0_0&trkid=222336

i have to say, i was much more skeptical before i had seen it, but afterwards... i was sort of just shocked. the child they find is truly remarkable and erased a lot of doubts for me. but it really just made more questions in my mind than answers lol. namely... confusion that someone could die, be reborn, and then recall so much about their previous life.

fyi, anyone with netflix can watch this movie instantly.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Thanks for this.
    Just added it to my queue. think this may be a Buddhism viewing weekend as I have Dalai Lama : the Soul of Tibet on the way :)
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Funny, I actually started to watch this last night. But I only got about 20 minutes into it before I realized that I needed to get to bed because I had to wake up early today.
  • edited September 2010
    I saw this movie a few months ago and thought it was great. I'd read of the search for reincarnated lamas and seen references to it on TV, but I'd never seen it in-depth like the movie presents it.

I won't say I'm convinced that reincarnation happens, but there were things going on in this movie that would be difficult to explain otherwise. I'd say it's definitely worth watching.
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I saw this film and was moved by Tenzin Zopa's palpable grief over Geshe-la and his tenderness toward all the toddlers he examined. A good friend, a former Tibetan monk, felt the film presented a narrow view of the complex culture of Tibetan Buddhism. Everbody's a critic. As to confusion over someone dying, being reborn and recalling.....
    Well, "someone" describes me! Better still, "nobody" describes me. Lama Konchog was an extraordinary and remarkable lama trained from age seven as a geshe and tantric yogi who lived in a cave for 7 years surviving on "wind-chulen" - that's essence from air....now that's confusing....are we practicing like we are running out of time yet.....?

http://www.tonglen.oceandrop.org/Geshe_Lama_Konchog.htm
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    unsui wrote: »

I won't say I'm convinced that reincarnation happens, but there were things going on in this movie that would be difficult to explain otherwise. I'd say it's definitely worth watching.

exactly. i try to be skeptical, but unless they were coaching this child in between scenes (possible, but i would think not very likely), it was pretty remarkable.
    I saw this film and was moved by Tenzin Zopa's palpable grief over Geshe-la and his tenderness toward all the toddlers he examined. A good friend, a former Tibetan monk, felt the film presented a narrow view of the complex culture of Tibetan Buddhism. Everbody's a critic. As to confusion over someone dying, being reborn and recalling.....
    Well, "someone" describes me! Better still, "nobody" describes me. Lama Konchog was an extraordinary and remarkable lama trained from age seven as a geshe and tantric yogi who lived in a cave for 7 years surviving on "wind-chulen" - that's essence from air....now that's confusing....are we practicing like we are running out of time yet.....?

http://www.tonglen.oceandrop.org/Geshe_Lama_Konchog.htm

wow. that site was pretty informative and interesting. i feel like a lot of this seems to defy logic, lol.
  • edited September 2010
    I have actually met the little rinpoche when he was visiting a few years back. He was my Lama's teacher, and looking at the way the boy conducted himself towards my Lama, there's no mistaking that he is indeed who they claim he is. It is really unmistaken.
    edited September 2010
    Watched this again (second attempt) last night. One of the better documentaries on Buddhism/Buddhist subjects that I've seen. I appreciated the fact that it didn't spend half an hour on a dumbed-down and erroneous explanation of Buddhism (as is so often the case). There is a natural skepticism in me which is applied to just about everything automatically. The film could be carefully edited to show the impression that they want it to. Of course this is probably just a symptom of growing up with American media. By the end of the film however I had suspended my disbelief. I don't know if the child is in fact the reincarnation of Geshe Lama Konchog, or if, in fact, reincarnation as such is true, but by the end of the film my skepticism had greatly diminished.
    I saw this film and was moved by Tenzin Zopa's palpable grief over Geshe-la and his tenderness toward all the toddlers he examined.

Me too.
    A good friend, a former Tibetan monk, felt the film presented a narrow view of the complex culture of Tibetan Buddhism. Everbody's a critic.

To be fair to the filmmakers there's only so much that can be shown in the span of a couple of hours, and, I think, delving too much into the culture would have detracted from the focal point of the film.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I really liked this movie a lot. Very well done, and as has been pointed out, the little boy is remarkable. I also have a copy of "Buddha's Lost Children", another remarkable movie about a remarkable man, a retired Thai kick boxer, Phra Khru Bah Neua Chai Kositto, who now rescues abandoned, neglected, and abused young boys in the Golden Triangle area of Northern Thailand and gives them training as novice monks. Lots of tough love, which is just what they need to survive in that area. They have a website, www.buddhaslostchildren.com, where you can order the movie as it's hard to find a copy as it was made by a Dutch filmmaker. Highly recommended.

Palzang
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    They have a website, www.buddhaslostchildren.com, where you can order the movie as it's hard to find a copy as it was made by a Dutch filmmaker. Highly recommended.

perhaps it will be coming soon to netflix. you can't rent it yet, but you can save it in your queue anyways. it looks awesome.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Buddha-s-Lost-Children/70129261?strackid=33af6990f705e329_0_srl&strkid=387585818_0_0&trkid=438381
    edited September 2010
    zombiegirl wrote: »
    perhaps it will be coming soon to netflix. you can't rent it yet, but you can save it in your queue anyways. it looks awesome.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Buddha-s-Lost-Children/70129261?strackid=33af6990f705e329_0_srl&strkid=387585818_0_0&trkid=438381

Unfortunately with Netflix I think that just means they're aware of its existence and may get it in stock one of these years. I've been waiting for them to get The Dhamma Brothers in for ages.
    edited September 2010
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    Unfortunately with Netflix I think that just means they're aware of its existence and may get it in stock one of these years. I've been waiting for them to get The Dhamma Brothers in for ages.

yeah, i've had that experience too. but i also think that perhaps they're just waiting for enough people to add it to their queue. if there's a great demand for it, then they might get it. but it only costs 30 on that website so i might just splurge if it takes too long.
  • edited September 2010
    You can always torrent right?????
    edited September 2010
    Nidish wrote: »
    You can always torrent right?????

using a torrent for a buddhist movie just seems... even more wrong than usual... hahaha.
  • edited September 2010
    it is easiest way to get the movie as movies are not released everywhere.
    edited September 2010
    daveysmith wrote: »
    it is easiest way to get the movie as movies are not released everywhere.

we all obviously have access to the internet and as palzang was so kind to give a link to where it could be purchased, it is mere theft to use an illegal torrent.
  • edited September 2010
    we all obviously have access to the internet and as palzang was so kind to give a link to where it could be purchased, it is mere theft to use an illegal torrent.

Stupid Palzang. Ruined all our fun. :D:lol:
  • edited September 2010
    I watched about an hour of this film with my wife before she left the room. The whole time she was watching she kept commenting "So they are just going to go take these people's child and they are going to allow it?"

It freaked her out. Beyond her ability to comprehend and mine as well, to a point.

I was also somewhat put off by how dependent the heart student appeared to be toward his teacher. When the Buddha was dying he refused to appoint a successor and instead told the monks the dharma was enough and each person should work it out for themselves. Seems odd that this tradition would place so much emphasis on it's teachers rather than more emphasis on developing the students to not need their teachers anymore.

I dunno, I guess the film aroused more sadness than anything else in me.
    edited September 2010
    username_5 wrote: »
    I was also somewhat put off by how dependent the heart student appeared to be toward his teacher. When the Buddha was dying he refused to appoint a successor and instead told the monks the dharma was enough and each person should work it out for themselves. Seems odd that this tradition would place so much emphasis on it's teachers rather than more emphasis on developing the students to not need their teachers anymore.

I get the impression that Tenzin Zopa's attachment to Geshe-la was less because he was his teacher and more because he was such a close personal friend. In fact if I understand correctly Zopa had known Geshe-la pretty much his entire life, with Geshe-la even having assisting in his birth.
    edited September 2010
    I watched about an hour of this film with my wife before she left the room. The whole time she was watching she kept commenting "So they are just going to go take these people's child and they are going to allow it?"

It freaked her out. Beyond her ability to comprehend and mine as well, to a point.

I dunno, I guess the film aroused more sadness than anything else in me.

later in the film they do ask the parents. they have the option not to allow him to be taken to the monastery, and i recall the father saying, "if it weren't for the fact that he will become a benefit to countless sentient beings, i could not let him go..."

tenzin zopa also at one point recalls a story in which he actually chose to follow geshe-la. his father had wanted another path for him and at the age of 5, tenzin zopa said, "let me just ask him if he can accept me. if he cannot, i will never follow him again." but geshe-la accepted him and indeed, i think he was more of a parent or grandfather to him than a mere teacher.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Stupid Palzang. Ruined all our fun. :D:lol:

I know, karma's a bitch, ennit? :p

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    later in the film they do ask the parents. they have the option not to allow him to be taken to the monastery, and i recall the father saying, "if it weren't for the fact that he will become a benefit to countless sentient beings, i could not let him go..."

tenzin zopa also at one point recalls a story in which he actually chose to follow geshe-la. his father had wanted another path for him and at the age of 5, tenzin zopa said, "let me just ask him if he can accept me. if he cannot, i will never follow him again." but geshe-la accepted him and indeed, i think he was more of a parent or grandfather to him than a mere teacher.

The notion of devotion to the guru is very difficult for Westerners to get because we are so taken with our "individuality". Everything in our little world revolves around that. So the notion of giving up that "individuality" is really frightening. We think if we do, we'll cease to exist. That, however, is the exact reason it is such a powerful technique, because it helps us break that habitual tendency of believing in the solidity of self that we have been holding on to since time out of mind and that is preventing us from seeing our true nature. If you can make that leap, then you're really more than halfway there.

Palzang
  • edited September 2010
    Hey..... Just watched the movie.. Awesome! Just cool!!!!! And is that based on a true story?

Love And Light,
    Nidish
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    It's a documentary, Nidish. It is a true story happening right before the camera.

Palzang
  • edited September 2010
    Really????? Wow! That adds to it's awesomeness.... So those monks and people were not actors, but real monks uh? And the child's a real incarnation???? Coool......

Love And Light,
    Nidish
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Yup.

Palzang
  • edited September 2010
    @Palzang I also see that you are a Tibetan Buddhist.. I don't know much about your school... So tell me some things... Isn't there something called enlightenment or Nirvana in your school? If yes, how is HH Dalai Lama continuing to take rebirth? Can't he achieve Nirvana? And in that movie too, Tenzin Zopa says Geshe-La said that it depends on the people's prayers when asked if he would take rebirth..... Can't there be an enlightened teacher at all? Even if there is, will he come back if we pray properly? And the notion of prayer often involves a god.. So how are we supposed to pray if there is no god?????

Love And Light,
    Nidish
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Nidish,

Buddha is Buddha, Buddhism is Buddhism. There is only one teacher and one teaching. The way it is presented, however, differs a lot from one school to another, which is a good thing because there are many different types of people, some of whom are more attracted to one form over another. This is an indication of the skillful means of the Buddha.

As to your questions, it all depends on what you mean by "enlightened". In Tibetan Buddhism, there are degrees of realization, called bhumis (10 of 'em), that one passes through on the way to ultimate enlightenment. Ultimate enlightenment in this case means dissolution into the Dharmakaya, which implies never again taking rebirth. Bodhisattvas pledge to return again and again to samsara for the sake of sentient beings. That is why the Dalai Lama (and many others) keep coming back. They come back because of the connections they have made with countless students over many lifetimes who pray for their return, and it is these prayers that, you might say, draw them back. If nobody cared one way or the other, there would be no need for them to come back and they could enter that blissful state. That's the way they explain it anyway.

In my opinion, and from what I've seen, many of these bodhisattvas are enlightened, but what do I know? Certainly I have seen the miraculous signs traditionally assigned to enlightened beings associated with many of these bodhisattvas. So it's a question of semantics I'd say. The Dalai Lama and other such teachers have the ability to be of ultimate benefit to their students, which is the only thing that really counts anyway, imho. So if they don't choose to call themselves enlightened, that's OK. What enlightened being would do that anyway? If you find a teacher that does, I'd suggest going the other way as quickly as possible!

Palzang
  • edited September 2010
    Thanks... But can you tell me more about praying? The how-to of it? For there is no God or creator right?????
    And, (this is another question)
    How does praying actually matter?
    edited November 2010
    Here is a pretty large photo album of the child, for anyone interested. Some fascinating pictures there. Some absolutely adorable ones as well.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Thanks! Molto cute!

Palzang
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited December 2010
    has anyone seen this movie? what did you think?

from netflix:
    "Filmmaker Nati Baratz follows the spellbinding journey of Tibetan Buddhist monk Tenzin Zopa as he travels far and wide to identify the child who is the reincarnation of his deceased master, Lama Konchog. Acting on instructions from the Dalai Lama, the shy Zopa relies on astrology, dreams and other signs to locate the child, knowing that if he succeeds, he must also convince the boy's parents to release their child into his care."

i have to say, i was much more skeptical before i had seen it, but afterwards... i was sort of just shocked. the child they find is truly remarkable and erased a lot of doubts for me. but it really just made more questions in my mind than answers lol. namely... confusion that someone could die, be reborn, and then recall so much about their previous life.

fyi, anyone with netflix can watch this movie instantly.

Even if it is not a movie, I think I'll still be skeptical.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2010
    It's a documentary, footiam, not a piece of fiction. It actually happened, and the camera was there to capture it.

Palzang
  • edited December 2010
    I don't think there's anything wrong with being skeptical, footiam, as long as you keep an open mind as well. ^_^

This sounds right up my alley..I'm been eager to find something like Dr. Ian Stevenson's work with children that provides evidence for rebirth (and as it is, his work is highly disputed)..I will have to try to find a copy of this.
  • edited December 2010
    I started watching it last night, Thanks for the find.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    It's a documentary, footiam, not a piece of fiction. It actually happened, and the camera was there to capture it.

Palzang

I see. It is all very weird, is it not?
  • edited December 2010
    yes I was shocked also. I was really caught off guard when the little guy from the first sight of the rosary threw out his hand and began to whine for it. I believe Tenzin was thrown into shock also. When he asked the little guy "do you mean this" the babe whined once more till Tenzin gave it too him. Then he tried to ask for it back and that lil guy clutched it tightly. Then he tried to go take it back by sneaking behind him. he tried twice, on the second time he tried the lil guy spoke with authority and said NO! Just a wonderful film. Best movie Ive seen in awhile.
  • edited December 2010
    Takeahnase wrote: »

Takeahnase Netflix has it in stock. I downloaded it with Roku. Should be able to order it by mail also.