Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Homosexuality

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
what does buddhism say on homosexuality? on gay marriages? this was one of the reasons i lost faith in christianity.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Buddhism doesn't say anything about homosexuality. See this thread for more: http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5343
  • edited September 2010
    The Dalai Lama disapproves. I think he missed on that one. I think it's the simple monk speaking to this, not Avalokiteshvara.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited September 2010
    "What were the Buddha's views on sexual orientation and gender identity?
    From what I've read in the suttas, the Buddha gave no indication that one's sexual orientation or gender identity has any bearing on one's spiritual practice. The five precepts, which form the most basic foundation of a moral life in Buddhism, encourage the abstention from "sexual misconduct," a term that generally refers to sexual activity between two people outside of a long-term committed relationship. It has nothing to do with "orientation."

The Buddha did, however, have strong words to say about sexuality/sensuality in general, as it is one of the most powerful expressions of human craving and attachment. And craving — the second Noble Truth — is a root cause of human suffering. The Buddha was very clear: if you're genuinely concerned about your long-term happiness, then it's worth reflecting deeply on the value of engaging in any activity — be it sexual or non-sexual — that feeds your cravings:

Even if it's with pain,
    you should abandon
    sensual desires
    if you aspire
    to future safety from bondage.
    Alert,
    with a mind well-released,
    touch release now here,
    now there.
    An attainer-of-wisdom,
    having fulfilled the holy life,
    is said to have gone
    to the end of the world, gone
    beyond.
    — Iti 109

It is worth noting that the Buddha explicitly discouraged his followers — men and women, alike — from dwelling on their sexual identity (AN 7.48). Although in this particular sutta he was describing heterosexuals, the message clearly applies to us all."
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Don't know a single Buddhist homophobe. Our sangha includes straight, gay, and if someone was so inclined, transgendered. It is a non-issue.

Promiscuity of any stripe is considered unskillful, as of course is causing harm in a sexual manner . Consensual sexual relationships between consenting adults who have not taken a vow of celibacy is a non-issue.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2010
    The guiding Zen Master of the school I practice in is a lay person and she is either gay or bisexual. She was once married to a man but she has been in a same sex relationship for many years. Her and her female partner even have an adopted daughter. They might be married, not sure.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    So there you have it :)
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Lust is lust. Regardless of whether the lust is for a man or a woman, it is a hindrance on the Path. Lust is just one form of sensual desire. All forms of sensual desire are to be abandoned at some stage on the Path, but for most of us we probably have other areas which require more immediate attention, such as correcting our Wrong Views.

As Richard has said, it is a non-issue for lay people. However, I think it is important to acknowledge that if we want to take this Path all the way to Arahantship then we are going to have to give up all forms of sexuality at some point.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Even attachment to purity must be given up. :cool:
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Even attachment to purity must be given up. :cool:

This is true, but generally speaking, attachment to lust is going to be a much stronger distraction on the Path than attachment to purity.
    There is no one sight, sound, smell, taste and touch other than that of a woman which can captivate and distract the mind of a man; conversely there is no one sight, sound, smell, taste and touch other then that of a man which can captivate and distract the mind of a woman. - AN 1.10

The above is equally applicable to homosexuals.
  • edited September 2010
    thats awesome to know. i suspected but its nice to have things confirmed.
    edited September 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    .... I think it is important to acknowledge that if we want to take this Path all the way to Arahantship then we are going to have to give up all forms of sexuality at some point.

Do we give it up, or does it just drop off at a certain point? ..er I mean craving that is. Try do be mindfully horny, the mindfulness deprives the hornyness of oxygen by taking attention off the object of lust and putting it on lust itself. It goes from being a unconscious negative draw on a positive object, to a positive object in its own right with no more draw on anything.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    "This body comes into being through sexual intercourse. Sexual intercourse is to be abandoned. With regard to sexual intercourse, the Buddha declares the cutting off of the bridge."

"Bhikkhuni Sutta: The Nun" (AN 4.159), translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. Access to Insight, July 3, 2010, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.159.than.html
    edited September 2010
    For Buddhists who are not Theravadin, it is a little more complicated than neutering yourself and kissing the world goodbye.

A newbie deserves to hear different perspectives within Buddhism. Zen for instance has a different perspective, as does Vajrayana I am told.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Yeah you're right. I should have explained that the discourse I quoted from was from a Bhikkhu (monk) to a Bhikkhuni (nun), it was not directed at lay people. Furthermore, the monk who is giving the discourse is none other than the Buddha's personal attendant, who is obviously very dedicated to the monastic Path.
    edited September 2010
    Yes Ananda was very dedicated, and a beautiful character. Are you thinking of ordaining?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Yes, I'd like to ordain. But I want to keep a full time job for a few years (something I have had some aversion to) first to make sure that:

a) I am capable of putting forth consistent effort
    b) I am not ordaining as an attempt to avoid responsibility
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    The Dalai Lama disapproves. I think he missed on that one.

Really, that is quite odd. I would have thought he would have no problem with somebodies sexual orientation.. After all, it really does not make a difference and should not be a reason to judge. I may get slammed for saying this, but maybe he himself is in the closet and in denial..
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    The Dalai Lama can make mistakes like the rest of us. In my opinion this is one of them. But it is easy to see other people's flaws, much harder to see our own.
    The faults of others are easily seen, but one's own faults are perceived with difficulty. One winnows the faults of others like chaff, but conceals his own faults as a fowler covers his body with twigs and leaves.

- Dhammapada 252
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited September 2010
    My personal view is that each relationship is a matter for the two people concerned, if it is non- harming and loving.
    It seems to me all individuals to varying degrees are born with heterosexual, gay, and transexual tendancies and these are normal for each individual and to be condemned for this expression is harmful and divisive and not consistent with Buddhist understandings.
    Also from my practice it has been shown to me that trying to forcibly make people change just doesn't work - lol, doesn't work and often results in repression, and suffering.
    There is nothing about Buddhist practice which expects people who haven't taken monastic vows to suddenly give up sex.
    Lay practitioners aren't expected to refrain from sex within loving relationships though in my experience practice has an affect upon all desires and our relationship to them.
    Have heard a debate on the wrong orifice argument, at a centre, though haven't read about this online - and have heard HHDL says that it's not good for straight people to have oral and anal sex though he did not discuss same sex relationships in response to this question - he was taking a health and safety approach and admitted logical reason can see that there is alternative, these days, to abstinence with increased knowledge about safe sex.
  • edited September 2010
    it's a shame that is the reason you lost faith in the wisdom of Christ's teachings. You have to put it in context of the time; it was a desert tribe, without any modern medical, farming, well, just about anything. At the time, it probably made sense to publicly come down against homosexuals. the infant mortality rate was extreme (by our standards), and gay people can't have kids. that being said, it has absolutely no bearing on what is going on today. we live in different times. And the people who say it's a sin...well, Jesus said even lusting after someone is a sin (something every man and woman does numerous times every day!). so I think the point is not to worry about all that stuff.

With that out of the way, there is the precept against misusing sexuality, but that is purposefully vague. what is misusing sexuality for me is not what is misusing sexuality for you.

Gay people can practice just the same as straight people. I mean heck, all you're doing is sitting in an upright posture in front of a wall...I don't see how your taste in women or men has anything to do with that!
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I think the homosexuality question depends on what school, and how influenced the centre/group is by the norms/mores from their homeland.

What I mean by this is that I've noticed many of the heavily Chinese influenced temples around here seem to be fairly conservative on social issues, one temple's website even had talks by their late Venerable Master decrying homosexuality as "devaluing nature" and whatnot. It was pretty disturbing.

Now I'm not saying that all Chinese people are homophobic, but it's definitely a taboo in the culture, and it can carry over into the way they practice religion.
  • edited September 2010
    Kalama sutta :P Such a wonderful sutta!
    Different cultures and values flavour a tradition's practice, and sometimes the true teachings get bogged down?
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Ones sexuality is Irrelevant to training the mind :)
  • edited September 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Ones sexuality is Irrelevant to training the mind :)

Absolutely.

Being gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, shouldn't be a problem for others when there's a loving relationship between 2 people.

Enlightenment is beyond gender.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Being gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, shouldn't be a problem for others when there's a loving relationship between 2 people.

Enlightenment is beyond gender.

Correct. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2010
    The Dalai Lama disapproves. I think he missed on that one. I think it's the simple monk speaking to this, not Avalokiteshvara.

This is completely inaccurate. HH the DL does not disapprove at all.
    Please be careful what you say.

He states quite categorically that the Tibetan Buddhist tradition makes certain provisos with regard to sexual intercourse regarding unusual orifices, but this is Tradition based, not Buddha-based. Furthermore, he himself stipulates that while he alone cannot change Doctrine, even if he believes it should be, he considers all humnan being to be deserving of undersytanding, compassion and that matters are not as clear cut as they seem.
    Homosexuality in Vajrayana/Tibetan Buddhism

(Bold, my emphasis. Please note: HH the DL is speaking specifically about Tibetan Buddhism. Theravada Buddhism makes and holds no such distinctions.)
    In a 1997 interview, the Dalai Lama (the leader of Tibetan Buddhism and a widely-respected spiritual figure) was asked about homosexuality. He did not offer any strong answer either way, but noted that all monks are expected to refrain from sex. For laypeople, he commented that the purpose of sex in general is for procreation, so homosexual acts do seem a bit unnatural. He said that sexual desires in themselves are natural, perhaps including homosexual desires, but that one should not try to increase those desires or indulge them without self-control. [4]

In a 1993 talk given in Seattle, the Dalai Lama said:

nature arranged male and female organs "in such a manner that is very suitable... Same-sex organs cannot manage well." But he stopped short of condemning homosexual relationships altogether, saying if two people agree to enter a relationship that is not sexually abusive, "then I don't know. It's difficult to say." [5]

The Dalai Lama was more specific in a meeting with Buddhist leaders and human rights activists in San Francisco in 1997, where he commented that all forms of sex other than penile-vaginal sex are prohibited for (Tibetan) Buddhists, whether between heterosexuals or homosexuals. At a press conference the day before the meeting, he said, "From a (Tibetan) Buddhist point of view, [gay sex] is generally considered sexual misconduct." But he did note that this rule is for (Tibetan) Buddhists, and from society's viewpoint, homosexual relationships can be "of mutual benefit, enjoyable, and harmless." [6]

The Dalai Lama is well known for his activism for human rights, and this specifically includes equal rights for gays. According to an Office of Tibet spokeman, "His Holiness opposes violence and discrimination based on sexual orientation. He urges respect, tolerance, compassion, and the full recognition of human rights for all." [6]

I hope this makes it abundantly clear that HH is diplomatic and tactful, and makes a point of not condemning or decrying homosexuality.
  • edited September 2010
    I may get slammed for saying this, but maybe he himself is in the closet and in denial..

Consider yourself slammed. Your statement is way too much. Just because he disapproves as a simple monk gives you no reason to make that statement.
  • edited September 2010
    I hope this makes it abundantly clear that HH is diplomatic and tactful, and makes a point of not condemning or decrying homosexuality.

Heard. I didn't say he condemns or decries, just that he disapproves. Your information shows that he disapproves, because he disapproves of sex that is other than penile-vaginal. HH is always tactful and diplomatic, and he is in this case. But obviously he does not approve of sex that is other than penile-vaginal. But he leaves room for a live-and-let-live approach and approaches the subject compassionately, and does not personalize the issue or condemn or decry.
    edited September 2010
    I was actually joking around and not being ultra super duper serious for a moment there.. I am sorry that I do not entirely praise the ground the DL walks on, but I was not being all too serious when I said what I said.
  • edited September 2010
    .. but do you

(A) slightly disapprove or (B) strongly disapprove?

Let's try to use a bit of diplomacy here, eh?
    edited September 2010
    C. have no problem with somebodies sexual orientation.
  • edited September 2010
    I was actually joking around and not being ultra super duper serious for a moment there.. I am sorry that I do not entirely praise the ground the DL walks on, but I was not being all too serious when I said what I said.

The point here was that your statement that maybe HH the DL is in the closet and in denial about homosexuality was a unskillful act. It was not about you not praising the ground HH walks on. So why be sorry about the latter? :confused:
    edited September 2010
    I wasn't sorry, it was sarcasm, something which often goes undetected over the net for obvious reasons. But anyway, to reiterate I was not being serious it was a JOKE. I am however sorry if it offended anybody, (no sarcasm). I hope the DL didn't see this O.o
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I agree that generally gays and lesbians find a welcoming home in Buddhism, but there are always exceptions. I know of a gelug lama in Phoenix who is extremely homophobic to the point of telling the gays who came to his sangha to beat it. But generally such bigots are few and far between in Buddha-land. For me, a monk, obviously having sex is no longer an issue, but my teacher made it clear to those of the lavender persuasion who also wore robes that we should never give up our gay identity. It can be a powerful way to connect with sentient beings who may have no other connection to the Dharma, and it is who we are in this life, so to deny it or pretend it has gone away would be extremely dishonest.

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I wasn't sorry, it was sarcasm, something which often goes undetected over the net for obvious reasons. But anyway, to reiterate I was not being serious it was a JOKE. I am however sorry if it offended anybody, (no sarcasm). I hope the DL didn't see this O.o

Just as a general rule of thumb, it is never a good idea to make jokes about pure teachers like the Dalai Lama. They have chosen to be born in this shithole life for the sake of sentient beings, for us, so the least we can do is show some respect in return. And I agree totally with Fede. The Dalai Lama is not in the least big homophobic. He comes from a different society with different values than us, but he has also modified his position on the issue after meeting with Western gays, much to his credit. And my own teacher, a Western woman, has absolutely no problem with gays. Many of her students are, and so is one of her sons.

Palzang
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I also can not say that I have not seen discrimination against people based on their gender, sexuality and expression of the same within Buddhism - it is by no means the only type of discrimination which exists and is less prelavent than other types in my experience.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Really, that is quite odd. I would have thought he would have no problem with somebodies sexual orientation.. After all, it really does not make a difference and should not be a reason to judge. I may get slammed for saying this, but maybe he himself is in the closet and in denial..
    if others had not responded to this already, I would have done.
    That joke is in poor taste. Learn from this experience.

The flip-side of the coin is that what a person's sexual persuasion is, has no bearing whatsoever on who they are and what they do.

I just think it should be made clear that we're not objecting to the insinuation that HH the DL is a homosexual. We're objecting to the inference that he's a hypocrite and might be lying.
  • edited September 2010
    If any prohibition exists it has to do with butt-sex, not orientation.
    Plenty of straight folks get down with butt-sex too.
    This Buddhist doesnt think there is anything wrong with butt-sex or homosexuality as long as both parties are into it.
  • edited September 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Just as a general rule of thumb, it is never a good idea to make jokes about pure teachers like the Dalai Lama. They have chosen to be born in this shithole life for the sake of sentient beings, for us, so the least we can do is show some respect in return. And I agree totally with Fede. The Dalai Lama is not in the least big homophobic. He comes from a different society with different values than us, but he has also modified his position on the issue after meeting with Western gays, much to his credit.

Word. You rock, Palzang.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited September 2010
    If any prohibition exists it has to do with butt-sex, not orientation.

But for some individuals, the two are related so it's still problematic.
  • edited September 2010
    But for some individuals, the two are related so it's still problematic.
    But still, it has nothing to do with orientation. Its a specific act, and in the olden days it had a lot to do with hygiene. Its pretty safe nowadays but back in the 2500 BCE days we didnt have such good lube or soap if you know what I mean.
    Also, there are issues related to the subtle energies of the body from a Vajrayana perspective.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    i am a lesbian and i have experienced no problems in either my practice or in my experiences with other buddhists as a result from this.

actually, a long time ago i read what HHDL said about homosexuality and took it to be quite negative as well. as a result, i dropped the idea of pursuing buddhism. i was in high school at the time and thought he was more like the pope of buddhism, lol. sometime later i was reintroduced to buddhism and feeling more secure in myself, i decided to pursue it. but then i got to a point where i realized that knowing what i know and have experienced as a lesbian in a culture that does not condone homosexuality, there is no way i could follow a teaching that did not support me as well. my thoughts were, if these are enlightened teachings, there is no way that they could discriminate against homosexuals in the way the christians do and still be considered enlightened. so, i got up my nerve and determined i would tell my young women's division leader in the SGI. i remember i was so nervous because i was ready to walk away depending on her reaction.

but honestly, i have never experienced less of a shock on an individual. i told her i was gay and she was just like, "okay." she actually seemed confused why i was all stressed out about it, lol. after i discussed this with her for a while she told me that as a result of my experiences, i should try and put my passion towards making things better for homosexuals.

Palzang wrote: »
    For me, a monk, obviously having sex is no longer an issue, but my teacher made it clear to those of the lavender persuasion who also wore robes that we should never give up our gay identity. It can be a powerful way to connect with sentient beings who may have no other connection to the Dharma, and it is who we are in this life, so to deny it or pretend it has gone away would be extremely dishonest.

Palzang

i find this statement incredibly interesting. i think i've discussed this before, but it has long been my belief that i was incredibly lucky to be a homosexual. basically, where i grew up, if i wasn't gay i would probably be a homophobe. i would so much rather be on the side experiencing the discrimination as it helps to develop my compassion and it does allow me to sympathize with others who may be experiencing the same problems i once experienced.
  • edited September 2010
    i told her i was gay and she was just like, "okay."
    I always have a good chuckle at those type of situations - expecting such a massive reaction, preparing a thousand-and-one defenses, then a simple word of acceptance knocks down that hard-built wall. One of my good friends came out a while back, and was worried about the reaction he'd get. Gotta love the gob-smacked look of "what, huh? Oh." :D

(As an aside - Sherab, your avatar of Kwai Chang made me fan-squeal :p)
  • edited September 2010
    Zombiegirl... I can totally understand where you are coming from... I'm from a small/Southern/rural town and I look at the people around me and think... 'man, I'm so glad I turned out the way I did and I don't have to carry around all that hate!' It's slightly appalling sometimes that people put so much effort into hating things or ideas they disagree with.

As for myself, I consider myself to be bisexual because I think love has no boundaries. I'd be interested to hear some thoughts on bisexuality as well... would it be considered sexual misconduct? Sensual indulgence? Or just non-discriminatory love? :D
  • edited September 2010
    Only if you conducted yourself sexually in an unskillful way, or became too attached to the sensuality of it - no difference to the straight/gay categories.
    non-discriminatory love
    Hippie. :lol: I've always been of the thought that sexual preference 'categories' operate on a dynamic scale, rather than as discrete labels.
  • edited September 2010
    Lol. Guess that was a kinda hippie statement. :P
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    letitbe13 wrote: »
    As for myself, I consider myself to be bisexual because I think love has no boundaries. I'd be interested to hear some thoughts on bisexuality as well... would it be considered sexual misconduct? Sensual indulgence? Or just non-discriminatory love? :D

you can't help being bisexual any more than i can for being gay or others for being straight. it's all the same. what's most important is to have a consensual relationship that is mutually beneficial to both partners.

at any rate, i still say that if i was single and met a guy i liked, i would pursue it. as it seems though, it still has yet to happen. if being bisexual to you is about non-discriminatory love, then love who you love and stop worrying about it. :)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited September 2010
    zombiegirl wrote: »
    at any rate, i still say that if i was single and met a guy i liked, i would pursue it. as it seems though, it still has yet to happen.

Prepare yourself for the influx of lonely Buddhist men spamming your inbox.

Wait, that doesn't sound right... :zombie:
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited September 2010
    zombiegirl wrote: »
    if i was single and met a guy i liked, i would pursue it.
    Anecdotally, I find that attitude much more prevalent among gay people than straight people, and I don't think it's that gay people are more inclined to have bisexual tendencies. I speculate it's that "straight" people are more likely to view people as categorized gay or straight (or maybe bisexual if they're liberal) rather than a continuum. "I know I like chicks therefore no, that dude is definitely not cute." :p

Back to John's original query, I find it amusing / depressing that some Christians use issues like this as a cleaving point to distinguish themselves from inclusive belief systems like Buddhism. "See? They have no moral fiber because they think that crap is OK!" :rolleyes:

Further, it worries me that there are a lot of people out there who think that's the way all belief systems are and give up their own spiritual growth because they're so turned off by what they experience in their native religion.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited September 2010
    federica wrote: »
    This is completely inaccurate. HH the DL does not disapprove at all.
    Please be careful what you say.

He states quite categorically that the Tibetan Buddhist tradition makes certain provisos with regard to sexual intercourse regarding unusual orifices, but this is Tradition based, not Buddha-based. Furthermore, he himself stipulates that while he alone cannot change Doctrine, even if he believes it should be, he considers all humnan being to be deserving of undersytanding, compassion and that matters are not as clear cut as they seem.
    Homosexuality in Vajrayana/Tibetan Buddhism

(Bold, my emphasis. Please note: HH the DL is speaking specifically about Tibetan Buddhism. Theravada Buddhism makes and holds no such distinctions.)

Not condemning homosexuality? Not in my view. He's definitely at least heterosexist, and I found that speech quite offensive.
This discussion has been closed.