Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

White Light and Astral Projection

edited October 2010 in Philosophy
White Light and Astral Planes.
Any one experience either of these two during meditation practice?
What are your thoughts?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I haven't, but i've read up on astral projection some and could possibly astral project because I get sleep paralysis fairly frequently because I lucid dream a lot, and it's somewhat easy once you're in sleep paralysis.(so i've read). Didn't know you could astral project out of meditation, though. Very interesting.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    What are your thoughts?

Shamanism and Buddhism are different things.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Geez, I used to get get sleep paralysis when I was little... terrifying stuff. Well if you know what it is, then I guess it wouldn't be that terrifying.

Anyway, there are many lucid dreaming, OBE and astral projection techniques centered around meditation. Here's one example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E97fKPJm0U4

If you don't want to watch the whole thing, he basically repeats a mantra to keep his mind aware of when he falls asleep. Another technique is concentrating on a candle flame. If you concentrate on something really well while falling asleep, chances are you will have a lucid dream.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2010
    What are your thoughts?
    These are baubles that have no particular value, like a box of Christmas ornaments. Conditions are conditions..... Astral plane, Disneyland, underground garage, the dentists office.......
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Richard, yes astral traveling or eating a single raisin mindfully. Its still awareness. Equally amazing.

Lose special. Then you can find special. Because it is like a bad penny that keeps turning up.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I've mastered lucid dreaming and spend my entire dream cycle meditating when I otherwise would be fast asleep and subject to the random dreams of the human psyche.

Either that or I'm a superhero... one of the two.
  • edited October 2010
    I have had a few expierences while meditating. for like a few seconds it felt like I was in another place. I dont know what exactly happend but interesting. Also I dont want to get attached to the sensations which would totally defeat the purpose of me meditating. If it happens it happens.
    edited October 2010
    Zayl, that sounds great. How did you master lucid dreaming?
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Zayl, that sounds great. How did you master lucid dreaming?
    It takes awhile. I started off by keeping a dream journal. Every morning when I awoke, I would right down everything I could remember from my dreams. after awhile you need to looks for a common occurrence in your dreams, this will be your "trigger" for lack of a better term. You must then recognize this "trigger" while you are dreaming, then hopefully you will become aware that you are dreaming without waking up... you will then have control over what happens in your dreams, and it gets quite entertaining. And after a long hard depressing day when I return home and immediately fall asleep, I enter a lucid dream and get myself to a nice peaceful sunny field and sit under a tree and meditate.

This has pros and cons of course. For example, you can meditate in any environment you wish. However, it is still a dream... and you will never have complete and utter control over them. If you lose focus you will fall back into the random happenings of your usual dreams. and it is surprisingly hard to both meditate and maintain control over your dream at the same time.
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, everyone always suggests dream journals to improve dream recall. I'll give it a go... then annoy you with further questions. =)
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, everyone always suggests dream journals to improve dream recall. I'll give it a go... then annoy you with further questions. =)
    I'll welcome those questions. I also heard of other methods where they used blindfolds with LED lights inside of them? idk how or if that would work but hey.

A lot of it is just extreme mental conditioning. And I know we've been getting off topic a bit, so maybe any more discussion could be through pm?
    edited October 2010
    What does your teacher say about this Zayl? Is it relevant to your Dharma practice? How so?
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    What does your teacher say about this Zayl? Is it relevant to your Dharma practice? How so?
    I don't have a teacher, so I'm not sure what they would say :)
    edited October 2010
    They would say it isn't relevant.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Never said it was.

And I could say relevance isn't relevant.
  • edited October 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Richard, yes astral traveling or eating a single raisin mindfully. Its still awareness. Equally amazing.
    Lose special. Then you can find special. Because it is like a bad penny that keeps turning up.
    Lose special and you find special. (this I understand)
    it is like a bad penny that keeps turning up? (I do not understand the context)
    How do these two statements work together?
    Sorry. I do not understand. Sorry, Please explain?
  • edited October 2010
    White light? Anyone?
  • edited October 2010
    "Chikai" Bardo
    http://www.near-death.com/experiences/buddhism04.html

Has anyone experienced this?
    edited October 2010
    The white light is just one of those things that can happen. People either have white flashes of light, or tunnel vision... or anything in between.
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks, interesting.
  • edited October 2010
    What are your thoughts?

I had various different experiences not long after I first started practicing. However one shouldn't get sidetracked with 'experiences', one should just gently return to the practice and the breath. (or whatever)

• edited October 2010
    The purpose of Buddhism is mainly to produce wisdom which ends the three main mental poisons of aggression, desire and ignorance. To that end, white lights and astral travel are totally not useful. In fact, if one fixates on it, either the negative forces will use it to entice/trap you, or you will just be stuck in your practice making no progress.

Recommend a book to read... it's available as a free ebook online.. it's the story of a Female Arhant named Mae Chee Kaew.
    http://www.forestdhammabooks.com/
    Mae Chee Kaew - Her Journey to Spiritual Awakening & enlightenment

This nun was previously very entranced with travelling to all kinds of realms through her meditation and all kinds of special phenomenon and trapped in this for many years, making no progress in her practice. Later, she was led out of it by a wise teacher. She was also partially woken to the futility of her 'special-effects' practice when she witnessed another teacher of hers, an Ajahn/ master-monk who was adept at such 'special-effects' practice, disrobed with a nun and married.

If you walk down such path of 'special-effects', then your three mental poisons forever remain unaddressed. You waste alot of time and possibily your whole life. If you want to astral travel, wait till you have died, as a bardo being or homeless spirit, you can see all kinds of light and astral travel as you wish.
    edited October 2010
    Zayl wrote: »
    Never said it was.

And I could say relevance isn't relevant.
    It is on a Buddhist forum where new people come to ask questions about the practice.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    It is on a Buddhist forum where new people come to ask questions about the practice.

Quite right, Richard.
    "And this, monks, is the noble truth of the way of practice leading to the cessation of dukkha: precisely this Noble Eightfold Path: right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration."
    SN 56.11

"The Fourth Noble Truth: The Noble Truth of the Path Leading to the Cessation of dukkha", edited by John T. Bullitt. Access to Insight, May 26, 2010, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/index.html
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010

I think it depends on why you are cultivating this ability. If you are cultivating it to have fun flying around like superman and doing other "fun stuff" then I would say it's irrelevant. But if you are cultivating it to practice Dharma, then It can be quite relevant I think. The dream state can be used just as well as the waking state to practice dharma. I think that if one is cultivating this ability to the exclusion of dharma practice in waking life, then it could obviousily be a hindrance, but if it is seen simply as an additional practice to utilize the 8 hrs of unconsciousness that we have every night, it can be beneficial.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Last night I had a dream where some ill-will arose in my mind. I quickly became mindful of it and let it go. Even though I wasn't aware I was dreaming I was kind of simulating practice within the dream world.
  • edited October 2010
    Actually, I have recently read in a number of Buddhist Holy books, that the white light is perhaps more important that some people may think.

It is one of the main Bardo's between attached life, and non-attached Nirvana.

It is written about in the Bardo Thodol, Tibetan Book of the Dead, as well as other great Buddhist works.

No need for an apology from those who dismissed my questioning as nonsense.
    Please read. Thanks.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Actually, I have recently read in a number of Buddhist Holy books, that the white light is perhaps more important that some people may think.

The white light may or may not be a sign of Samadhi. There is nothing significant about how this sign appears, for some people it appears as a light, others is appears as a sound or as a feeling. However, it is none of these, it is a perception, not a feeling, not a light, not a sound. The brightness of the light and the stability (i.e. it doesn't flicker or flash on and off) is an indication of how bright and stable the mind is becoming. Since Samma-Samadhi (Right-Stillness) is part of the Noble Eightfold Path, I'd say it is relevant.

Astral projection, on the other hand, I'd say is irrelevant. It doesn't seem like the Buddha ever said in the Suttas that astral projection needs to be mastered in order to Awaken.

Sorry, I should have read the post more carefully, all I saw was "astral projection" and I went into dismissal mode.
  • still_learningstill_learning Veteran
    edited October 2010
    White light and astral project sound cool, but isn't peaceful meditation already special enough? :D
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    White light and astral project sound cool, but isn't peaceful meditation already special enough? :D

You are right.

Actually the catch-22 is that if you want the white lights in your meditation they won't appear. If you just let go, then they appear. Letting go leads to peaceful meditation, and there are different levels of peace/stillness. The white light usually only appears when you have let go of the five-sense bases (sight, sound, smell, taste, touch) and you are left with only a mental object.
  • edited October 2010
    Thank you for your replies.

I do believe that the white light is important, although I would say that unless you have the right conditions / circumstances, this state willl be hard to sustain.
    I have experienced this state before. Although, I was not able to sustain this state due to my entanglement in this life. One must be able to sustain complete relaxed mind to sustain this. And unless you have the right circumstances such as being born in a monastery, this will be hard.

In theory, (tibetan book of the dead)
    I would say being able to sustain this state is important, as it will allow unflinching control over the distractions, when venturing between incarnation bardo's.

I believe the briliant white light state is possibly the door way to other bardos which can be accessed via astral projection (spiralling clockwise).

I have experienenced a partial astral projection from this white light state where I spirilled out of my body, clockwise (i think, can't completely remember if clockwise or counter clockwise as so long a go). at which point I got afraid, as I did not know what was going on (haven not been formally trained) and I became afraid. So I bounced back into my body.

This was a number of years a go, and unfortuantely my life got more complicated since that point and more stressful.
    However, if I can create the circumstances, I would like to continue again down that route to attain unflinching control over my being.
  • edited October 2010
    not necessarily.
    It probably isnt relevant in the case of Zayl, since he doesnt have a teacher and therefore couldnt have possibly gone through the preliminaries and teachings on how to make things like this relevant, but your blanket statement about irrelevance is simply inaccurate.
  • edited October 2010
    You should probably actually look into things before claiming their relevance or lack thereof.
    Since this is a Buddhist forum all Buddhsit interpretations and methods are relevant, not just your opinions on what is and isnt.
    Buddhism has a long tradition of utilizing the dream state for practice.
  • edited October 2010
    I understand why people dismiss certain statements. If they have not experienced these things themselves then it can be hard to believe blindly and I would not suggest that people believe everything people say as Gospel truth without experiencing it themselves.

However, I would recommend that people keep an open mind to the posibilities as there may be truths that we as individuals have not experienced yet during our lifetime which are truths nontheless.

Example: Reincarnation > possibility.
    Transmigratable Karma: Possible.

I may not believe blindly.
    However
    I do not dismiss blindly either.

As surely to do so is the fruit of ignorance.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I have always found lucid dreaming to very interesting and exciting when it happens. However I certainly see the truth of Richard's post describing it as irrelevant. I believe that my therapist would have called pursuing it a cul-de-sac. Apart from that, after reading several of Richards posts in the short time I've been here I would consider him to be among the many members who's realization far surpasses my own and I could benefit from paying attention to.-P
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    If I caused some sort of dispute, then I apologize for that was not my intention. I was merely stating that I thought it better that I had used the time I would normally spend at the whim of my dreams, and trained myself so it would help with my practice is all. Yes I sometimes use my lucid dreams to have a bit of fun, but very rarely.
  • edited October 2010
    Zayl wrote: »
    If I caused some sort of dispute, then I apologize for that was not my intention. I was merely stating that I thought it better that I had used the time I would normally spend at the whim of my dreams, and trained myself so it would help with my practice is all. Yes I sometimes use my lucid dreams to have a bit of fun, but very rarely.
    You havent caused any kind of dispute.
    It is better to use the dream state for practice. You should just make sure you have the proper instructions and foundations for doing so.
  • edited October 2010
    robot wrote: »
    I have always found lucid dreaming to very interesting and exciting when it happens. However I certainly see the truth of Richard's post describing it as irrelevant.

From an overall Buddhist perspective Richards statements about it being irrelevant are simply untrue.
    It may be irrelevant to certain traditions or individual practitioners but it is not irrelevant to Buddhist practice as a whole.
    edited October 2010
    You should probably actually look into things before claiming their relevance or lack thereof.
    Since this is a Buddhist forum all Buddhist interpretations and methods are relevant, not just your opinions on what is and isn't.
    Buddhism has a long tradition of utilizing the dream state for practice.

Perhaps you Shenpen, coming from a Vajrayana perspective, have directly received different teachings? If so state it. I will respect that.

I have practiced lucid dreaming and astral travel. This is the teaching of my Sanghas in both the Theravadin and Zen traditions that I have received for over twenty years.... The pursuit of this practice is not relevant to Buddhist aims. It is not bad, just not relevant. I will go on a limb and speak for my Sangha on this issue. If you find yourself awake in the dream state, be awake, but fascination with astral travel and phychic realms is not encouraged.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Shenpen, thank you. As I dont have a teacher, I would appreciate you explaining to me how practicing lucid dreaming will help me to increase my wisdom from realizing emptiness. I guess I'm hoping that lucid dreaming would be a by product of meditation practice. I dont know enough about the various traditions to know where it fits in. Respectfully-P
    edited October 2010
    I have always found lucid dreaming to very interesting and exciting when it happens. However I certainly see the truth of Richard's post describing it as irrelevant. I believe that my therapist would have called pursuing it a cul-de-sac. Apart from that, after reading several of Richards posts in the short time I've been here I would consider him to be among the many members who's realization far surpasses my own and I could benefit from paying attention to.-P

Hello robot. Thankyou for the kind words. I just want make clear something. After practicing for some time, there are insights and more peace in your life, but the uprooting of greed, hatred, and delusion is a long haul. After practicing for 20 years I can still act like a schmuck sometimes, and still get swept up in thinking. Sangha participation is grounding and informs much of life. The view I'm expressing is from a Theravadin and Zen Sangha perspective. It may very well be another matter in Vajrayana (Tibetan) practice.
  • edited October 2010
    If astral planes within the bardos are irrelevant, then where does the "self" go when liberated? And what is the process the self takes to become liberated?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    The "self" doesn't go anywhere, it is like a dream. Where do dreams go when you wake up?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Devoid,

I think I was thinking how hard we long for special. but if we let go of it sometimes we find it again. But the touch has to be light ie non-grasping. Sometimes our words just depress us more or have a bed of anxiety around them. Sometimes our words feel great and are special. Words or experiences.

So I think there is always this capacity to try to force things which we notice. And then just let go into space.

The bad penny keeps turning up means the habit to make things special keeps coming up again and again. Which means habit to force.

It also means that that happy alive feeling of specialness always comes back again and again. Two things. One is awakening and one is grasping. They keep coming back.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    It also means that that happy alive feeling of specialness always comes back again and again. Two things. One is awakening and one is grasping. They keep coming back.

I thought awakening was about not coming back?
    edited October 2010
    If astral planes within the bardos are irrelevant, then where does the "self" go when liberated? And what is the process the self takes to become liberated?
    Maybe look at it this way.... Everything called "I", "me", and "mine", is a condition that belongs to the world. There is no self to be liberated. So what is unbound? Maybe it is the flow of body, mind and world that is unbound, from the spasm and contraction of "self".

It's just a notion, but worth chewing on.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I thought awakening was about not coming back?

Well thats besides my point which is the habit to have a special experience. Additionally that would not be the Mahayana.
  • edited October 2010
    Perhaps you Shenpen, coming from a Vajrayana perspective, have directly received different teachings? If so state it. I will respect that.
    Sure, in the Vajrayana tradition I have received teachings on dream yoga from the Nyingma and Sarma traditions.
    The dream yoga teachings in the sarma tradition that I have received are associated with the Chakrasamvara tantra and its inner Vajrayogini cycle. Its mostly associated with yidam practice, both from the kye rim and dzog rim perspective.
    From the Nyingma tradition the teachings on dream yoga that I have received are associated with Dzogchen and in particular the Yeshe Lama of Jigme Lingpa.
    In order for these practices to be relevant requires a lot of preliminary practice etc. so you would be absolutely correct is saying that in most cases dream practices are irrelevant, but its just not quite accurate to make a blanket statement about it.
    Sorry for being a bit of a stickler but I think its important to make sure we represent the full spectrum of teachings and traditions.
  • edited October 2010
    Shenpen, thank you. As I dont have a teacher, I would appreciate you explaining to me how practicing lucid dreaming will help me to increase my wisdom from realizing emptiness. I guess I'm hoping that lucid dreaming would be a by product of meditation practice. I dont know enough about the various traditions to know where it fits in. Respectfully-P

Hi Robot,
    It is a product of meditation practice and in some cases actually can become a meditation practice.
    The key is the recognition of the illusory nature of our perceived self and of phenomena.
    This is really what the practice is useful for and its also a preparation for the overcoming the confused state of consciousness during the dying process.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Shenpen, thank you again. That makes it completely clear to me. Particularly the benefit of preparing for the experience of dying.