Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

White Light and Astral Projection

2»

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Sure, in the Vajrayana tradition I have received teachings ...........

hands palms together.
  • edited October 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    hands palms together.

Right back at ya.
  • edited October 2010
    robot wrote: »
    Shenpen, thank you again. That makes it completely clear to me. Particularly the benefit of preparing for the experience of dying.

The commentaries on the practice get quite interesting on this point.
    There are correlations between ones acumen with dream yoga and the experiences in the bardo.
    Its pretty fascinating.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm an avid astral traveler. I can will myself to do it almost anytime I want... I catch myself before falling to sleep and I'm out. It's taken me 15 years to get to this level. It wasn't easy and took more than a little effort.

Now though that I've satiated my curiosity I see that there isn't any practical use for it. Maybe long-distance healing would work but I don't have any patients that need that kind of work yet. I'm not even a teacher yet.

Maybe it is just for fun. And it can be fun flying over your favorite utopia.

I mean... it is OK to have fun in this Universe. Go places. Discover new things. It's what started my journey...

"Have fun! Just don't go too far little one. I'll be here waiting!" I remember her saying. I did wander too far once and was sorry I did. But I'm glad I took the journey so I could discover that the journey need not be taken at all.

I don't wander too far anymore from Mama Dee. (mama dharma) :p
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited October 2010
    White light. I have always sat with eyes open. Casting my gaze down without focusing has frequently resulted in an opaque white light. Once practice resulted in an enveloping white light, an awareness of disolution of identity, a sense of belonging to the light and uncontrollable weeping. Never happened again - never attributed definitive meaning to the experience. It prompted me to discontinue sitting for a long time. Don't know why - fear of either experiencing it again or never experiencing it again - just don't know. Definitely not a goal in my practice - but a very odd experience. Lucid dreaming, dreams of flying, visits with deceased relatives - yes, some success through relaxation, auto-suggestion, even meditation - but could never decide what to do with the dream state to be...I don't know, productive or....."relevant" - so it was abandoned. Thanks here to Zayl for the great suggestion of using the dream state for practice and to Richard for reminding about irrelevance, which I am, that I am, unanimously!
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    In order for these practices to be relevant requires a lot of preliminary practice etc. so you would be absolutely correct is saying that in most cases dream practices are irrelevant

Are you talking about the specific practices you mentioned or just dream practice (whatever that means) in general?
    preliminary practice

As in meditation practice in general or specific teachings from accomplished lamas, etc?
  • edited October 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    Are you talking about the specific practices you mentioned or just dream practice (whatever that means) in general?

As in meditation practice in general or specific teachings from accomplished lamas, etc?
    Both, the practice of dream yoga is a part of highest yoga tantra or ati yoga (Dzogchen). Tibetan Buddhism takes a very structured and systematic approach to the students development. Usually one goes through the preliminary practices of ngondro or some kind of equivalent before seriously embarking on any kind of highest yoga tantra or Dzogchen practice. And a certain amount of acumen in those is then required for any kind of beneficial use of the dream state.
    So legitimate and relevant dream yoga practice usually comes after many years of study and practice with a authentic teacher.
  • edited October 2010
    for those who are moving towards liberation though, won't be attached on white light or astral projection... we are not even supposed to fixate on dharma in the ultimate end... in the end all attachments/fixations are to be discarded.... whatever arises, it doesn't matter...just remain in equanamity.

If you are attached to this life, you are not a person of Dharma
    If you are attached to cyclic existence, you do not have renunciation
    If you are attached to your own purpose, you do not have bodhicitta, the thought of enlightenment
    If grasping fixation arises, you do not have the view

Founder of the Sakya School, Sachen Kunga Nyingpo
  • edited October 2010
    for those who are moving towards liberation though, won't be attached on white light or astral projection... we are not even supposed to fixate on dharma in the ultimate end... in the end all attachments/fixations are to be discarded.... whatever arises, it doesn't matter...just remain in equanamity.

If you are attached to this life, you are not a person of Dharma
    If you are attached to cyclic existence, you do not have renunciation
    If you are attached to your own purpose, you do not have bodhicitta, the thought of enlightenment
    If grasping fixation arises, you do not have the view

This is exactly why practices like dream yoga are restricted to those who already have some level of understanding and accomplishment.
  • edited October 2010
    White light. I have always sat with eyes open. Casting my gaze down without focusing has frequently resulted in an opaque white light. Once practice resulted in an enveloping white light, an awareness of disolution of identity, a sense of belonging to the light and uncontrollable weeping. Never happened again - never attributed definitive meaning to the experience. It prompted me to discontinue sitting for a long time. Don't know why - fear of either experiencing it again or never experiencing it again - just don't know. Definitely not a goal in my practice - but a very odd experience. Lucid dreaming, dreams of flying, visits with deceased relatives - yes, some success through relaxation, auto-suggestion, even meditation - but could never decide what to do with the dream state to be...I don't know, productive or....."relevant" - so it was abandoned. Thanks here to Zayl for the great suggestion of using the dream state for practice and to Richard for reminding about irrelevance, which I am, that I am, unanimously!

just a experience, an episode, should continue sitting... best with teacher's guide... meditators have all kind of experiences, but if you just continue without being excited or depressed, clinging with hope or fear then they'd go away... realisation of truth is not a light, sight, or sense phenonomenon, it is beyond expectations and fear, it doesn't change or go away. All those sense phenomenons are just part of your skandha tricks, if you fall for them, at best, they delay you, at worst, you stop there for the whole of this life... if it is negative in nature, even worse possible consequences...
  • edited October 2010
    This is exactly why practices like dream yoga are restricted to those who already have some level of understanding and accomplishment.

Hi Shenpen Nangwa, in genuine dream yoga, one is supposed to have seen through the illusion of the dream... not regard the dream as real and perpetuate it... if one perpetuate it, at least it should be with a recognition of its nature. But from what i see, most astral travellers believe in what they experience completely... no amount of convincing can help.

Also, in daily life, they still have their fair share of delusions, still not addressed. This is spiritual corruption. There is no real spiritual development, just playing around with sense perceptions/special effects. Milarepa, a great saint, said, if you press your eyeballs, you will see double light or something like that... meaning, don't trust sense perceptions/special effects... even if it is mental sense perception. Still is a fixation.

If don't believe, just give those who play with such things 20-30 years, they would realise they have really gotten no-where with the toys.
  • edited October 2010
    If astral planes within the bardos are irrelevant, then where does the "self" go when liberated? And what is the process the self takes to become liberated?

De_void,

You got a very good question... i feel that you are thorough kind of seeker that's why you are not accepting so easily but trying to understand first.

The "self" never existed in the first place... according to mind-only school, it is said that our 7th consciousness mistakenly took the 8th consciousness (or alaya or what people nowadays call "Beingness'/'God'/Cosmic consciousness/Higher self etc) to be a self. And this sense of self perpetuated itself with the help of karmic habitual tendencies... with me, my or mine and with further aversion and desire...

So it is a fundamental myth. Or fundamental 'perceptual' mistake... a kind of hypnosis we fell under. Awareness /mindfulness in the pracctice of insight brings us to the point where we can see through this hypnotic conditioning... once we see through it and totally eradicate all the gravitational pull of the conditioning (ie habit of falling back into believing in the self) then liberation is at hand. Actually, there is no liberation really, because 'self' was never there. But because we don't know, that's why we are not awakened like the Buddha.

There is also the realisation of 'emptiness' of all phenomenon... but i think it's better to leave it out of this discussion to avoid complicating things.
    edited October 2010
    Honestly, I really don't see the difference between being conscious in the daytime vs being conscious in the nighttime. Obviously we are taught to practice mindfulness during the day and it is relevant to do that. But, to practice mindfulness at nighttime is now irrelevant simply because it is nighttime? What is the difference?
  • edited October 2010
    Honestly, I really don't see the difference between being conscious in the daytime vs being conscious in the nighttime. Obviously we are taught to practice mindfulness during the day and it is relevant to do that. But, to practice mindfulness at nighttime is now irrelevant simply because it is nighttime? What is the difference?
    I dont really think there is a difference.
    The only thing I can think of is that when we get some kind of accomplishment through controlling our dreams etc. its easy for us to fixate on that and think we are special. Its also easy for people to start giving too much emphasis to it.
    The danger is that it can stop being authentic practice and become an ego trip or another attachment.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi Shenpen Nangwa, in genuine dream yoga, one is supposed to have seen through the illusion of the dream... not regard the dream as real and perpetuate it... if one perpetuate it, at least it should be with a recognition of its nature. But from what i see, most astral travellers believe in what they experience completely... no amount of convincing can help.
    This reiterates my point about the esoteric nature of the dream yoga teachings.
    Without the proper foundation and understanding the experiences in the dream state can become obstacles rather than useful.
  • edited October 2010

i don't think they are mindful when they astral project... mindfulness in sleep is highly recommended... if you can stay in the timeless awareness during sleep then by all means do it... why astral project? for one who is highly accomplished in timeless awareness, there are no more dreams in sleep.

may have to reexamine what you mean by mindfulness.

p/s: there is the term 'clear light' but it should not be confused with light as in sense phenomenon light (or light you get from the bulb/candle flame)... it refers to clarity aspect of ultimate wisdom which is beyond all extremes including form / formlessness.
    edited October 2010
    i don't think they are mindful when they astral project... mindfulness in sleep is highly recommended... if you can stay in the timeless awareness during sleep then by all means do it... why astral project? for one who is highly accomplished in timeless awareness, there are no more dreams in sleep.

I was mostly referring to lucid dreams rather than astral projection. Even though the OP is about astral projection, so I could be going a bit off topic. I would agree that there is no need to astral project unless you are looking for some kind of special experience, which is not the point of practice. However, it is quite difficult to not have dreams because they just happen. But to me "Lucid dream" simply means "awareness of the fact that what you are experiencing is a nighttime dream" which does not necessarily mean controlling it or manipulating it. Some people, most people maybe, think that lucid dreaming = control of dreaming for one purpose or another, but the term simply means "aware" and not necessarily something more, at least to me.
    may have to reexamine what you mean by mindfulness.

In this context essentially, a simple awareness or consciousness of what you are experiencing and giving that your full attention, at whatever moment, whether it is during the day or night while sleeping or whatever. As opposed to the complete unconsciousness that most people have when they have a dream.