Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How exactly do you contribute to society ?

2»

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    .....Everything counts, Mike...... ;)
  • edited December 2005
    Spike wrote:
    Justify your existence to me.

Yes thats right.

I have asked this particular question on many religious and philosophical sites and am usually intrigued with the results.

How do your actions/inactions (duality again !) make this beautiful world a better place ?
    I make a good cup of tea.
    I will contribute to society by having a cup of Zenmonk's tea.

• edited December 2005
    Careful, I'll hold you to that and the cup is bottomless. :p
  • edited December 2005
    Spike wrote:
    Justify your existence to me.

That is all.

I don't.

But it is an an interesting line of inquiry. Perhaps you could start the discussion by doing so yourself.

gassho
    -fa dao-
  • edited December 2005
    Careful, I'll hold you to that and the cup is bottomless. :p
    :eekblue: NOOOOoooooo!!!
  • edited December 2005
    :cool:
  • edited December 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    Spike,

To be honest, there truly are no answers to the questions you are asking...

If "I" truly had that answer, "I" would not be here.

Jason

I agree. Many times questions asked of Buddhists have no answers - Its hard, sometimes impossible, to relate concepts taken from other religions/philosophies to Buddhist philosophy. So I believe your simple and truthful answer is a good one. I don't believe we need justify our lives to anyone, or any being.

But, If I were to attempt to answer Spike's question, and I will :) I would say that everyday I wake up on earth I feel it is important to make that day meaningful. I believe that helping others is the major purpose of our lives. So, if I can help someone today, this will have been meaningful day. Maybe I helped Spike today :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Hunt4life wrote:
    I agree. Many times questions asked of Buddhists have no answers - Its hard, sometimes impossible, to relate concepts taken from other religions/philosophies to Buddhist philosophy. So I believe your simple and truthful answer is a good one. I don't believe we need justify our lives to anyone, or any being.

But, If I were to attempt to answer Spike's question, and I will :) I would say that everyday I wake up on earth I feel it is important to make that day meaningful. I believe that helping others is the major purpose of our lives. So, if I can help someone today, this will have been meaningful day. Maybe I helped Spike today :)

And the vital element in this is the realisation that each of us has the responsibility of determining what carries meaning for us. We test that meaningfulness against personal integrity which is, itself, always in development. It is not a meaning assigned from outside. It may be very different from the 'real' meaning (if any) but it is the one which we have chosen.

I am convinced that the next step is to let go of any investment in the meaning we are assigning.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I was put on this earth to annoy others.

I think that's my justification for my existence

(Let's watch the antagonism arise) haha

peace (and I really mean that)
  • keithgkeithg Explorer
    edited January 2006
    Hunt4life wrote:

And spike has indirectly helped me by starting this thread, so that you all can pool your wisdom together and give me some very insightful knowledge. Thank you spike. :lol:
  • edited January 2006
    I was an accident.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    LOL