Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The One Fantastic and Wonderful and Amazing Word

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited November 2007 in Buddhism Basics
I start t have people asking me what does Buddhism teach... What do I say, that one word?

"Non-attachment?", does anyone have better suggestions?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Compassion
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Simon's got a good one - I think one could use "Peace" or "Happiness" as well.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    The art of living.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Wouldn't it shock everyone if I said no-thing?
  • edited October 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:

Perhaps emptiness as opposed to no-thing (as there are nihilistic implications with that term).

Good thread ajani!
    edited October 2005
    Just thought I should ask... I actually realize I got no idea how to expound the Dhamma when I am asked to!
    edited October 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:

The shock, dear friend, would be if you said nothing! LOL
    edited October 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Just thought I should ask... I actually realize I got no idea how to expound the Dhamma when I am asked to!

I would most seriously urge you to give up any idea of "expounding the Dhamma". When asked, the only answer, IMHO, in Right Speech is: "I tkae Refuge in the Buddha, the Dhamma and the Sangha".
    edited October 2005
    LOL! Nothng! Haha!

Well very stupidly once Argon and his Muslim friend asked me what Buddhism taught and I was like erm... Then I remembered the first Noble Truth, dukkha.

So I said, "Life is full of suffering." Well very expected of them they laughed like hell and asked, "Hahahaha! Then what are we doing now?" But then I realize that's what they say only when they are in good mood, I see them in rotten depression at times and I thought "This's this."
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Fantastic
    Wonderful and
    Amazing are excellent words to describe

Fantastic
    Wonderful and
    Amazing.

-bf
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    ajani_mgo,

How about just saying that Buddhism teaches a person how to remove the harmful mental states of greed, hatred, and delusion?

Whether you are a Christian, Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, Black, White, Asian, Middle Eastern, Middle Western, short, tall, skinny, not so skinny, man, woman, something in between, or whatever - this is benefitial nonetheless, right? Wouldn't God, if God does exist, wish for His/Her followers to act in a generous, compassionate, and mindful way? Wouldn't you, if God doesn't exist, still wish to act in a generous, compassionate, and mindful way? (I'm hoping the answer is yes either way ;) )

That is all Buddhism really teaches - skillful living (with the added benefit of Awakening and the complete cessation of dukkha as a bonus, but you don't have to mention that part.)

Jason
    edited October 2005
    Hmm... Nah, maybe I should just bore everyone out... "Buddhism is more than words... The essence... The truth..." and tell a hell lot of nonsense in no way related to Buddhism, then they will think it's profound. LOL... Anyway great suggestion Elohim, I think I'll use that!
  • edited October 2005
    One word? How about 'Harmony'
  • edited October 2005
    I would say "the cesation of suffering by stripping away the delusion one creates for themselves, removing the illusion of reality and life"

not one word perhapse, but buddhism goes beyond one word.
  • edited September 2007
    Karuna...........Compassion....I personally can't think of a single thing that could cover the entirety of the culmination of the dhammamagga like......compassion.
  • edited September 2007
    It is not possible to explain a religion in one word - Buddhism like other religions are filled with complex teachings wich is not easely explained to "outsiders"

The fun thing is, that if you really try to say it shortly - compassion, tolerance etc. every other religions could say the same.

I think that the important thing, is not what you tell people about buddhism but how you act and speak when youre in the presence of sentient beings ;)

......... in other words - I don't know what to answer either when people ask me why i'm a buddhist lol
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2007
    Hi, AllanS.
    It's nice to meet you!
    Welcome to the board and I hope you find it as useful as I do. :)
  • edited September 2007
    Hi Brigid

Thanks for the welkoming - May we all benefit from the virtuous actions of each other :)
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited September 2007
    ajani_mgo wrote: »
    ..."Non-attachment?", does anyone have better suggestions?

I like the word "vigilence".

::
  • edited October 2007
    Liberation

The listener if genuinely curious will hopefully ask, liberation from what.
    edited October 2007
    carbonunit wrote: »
    Liberation

The listener if genuinely curious will hopefully ask, liberation from what.

I would agree with "liberation" and the Buddha makes clear that we are, indeed, in need of liberation - from the toils of samsara and its inevitable dukkha.

I find the same message of liberation in the Jesus message but I know that there are those who would disagree.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2007
    "Gone".

Because every second, something I thought was real, is not real.
    Including me.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2007
    I agree with you completely, Simon. Whether this life and our selves are an illusion or not, in the illusion we need to be liberated to see that it is an illusion.

Palzang
  • edited October 2007
    How about 'transformation'?

As in, the transformation of suffering into well-being.

Of course I can't take credit for that--I got it out of one of Tich Nath Hanh's books.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited October 2007
    ajani_mgo wrote: »
    I start t have people asking me what does Buddhism teach... What do I say, that one word?

"Non-attachment?", does anyone have better suggestions?

Attention Attention Attention!

I know I said it 3 times, but it's still just one word.

_/\_
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited October 2007
    I'm not sure you can reduce the wordless to a single word, but if I had to it would be something like "AHA!"

But please don't twist my arm and make me.

I dislike the word "Buddhism," but do very much like the Name, "Buddha."

But then, I dislike almost all words ending in -ism. The word "organism," however is an exception, as that is something REAL and not abstract. Abstractions, though necessary, just skirt around the real but never quite touch the essence. And I'd ruther be wordless (abstractionless) about a lot of really cool things.

But you needn't ask me, 'cuz I'm not quite sure I could Say them.
  • edited November 2007
    What no one said :

Mindfulness !!!

.. and if I can cheat "Practicing Mindfulness"

Although Simon's Compassion is hard to beat.

Cheers ...
  • edited November 2007
    What no one said :

Mindfulness !!!

.. and if I can cheat "Practicing Mindfulness"

Although Simon's Compassion is hard to beat.

Cheers ...

Aww, well, that one is just so obvious I didn't even see it. You're right, of course :)