Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Simpsons buddhism reference

edited June 2005 in General Banter
If any of you watch The Simpsons regularly; this week's new Simpsons holiday episode had a little nod towards buddhism.

Homer is trying to out-do Ned Flanders to make the whole town happy.
Lisa says "As a buddhist, I think people would be happier without presents."

So Homer decides he'll make everybody happy by freeing them of attachments so he steals everyones presents and is going to burn them until the town shows up at his house in a mob to take them all back.

Thought it was kind of funny and that people here would appreciate Homer's new philosophy :)

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited December 2004
    The entertainment industry loves buddhists :D

I'm just glad they at least got it accurately instead of the utter wrongness of movies like "Anger Management"..... :rolleyes:
  • edited December 2004
    haha thats awesome... also very glad that they got it right
  • edited December 2004
    the Simpsons are awesome, and yeah true they got the buddhist thing rite.... unlike in Anger Managment, like you said Brian.
  • edited May 2005
    Lisa Simpson is a true seeker.
    Isn't it funny how the gifted Simpson looks outside her own culture for answer to greater questions?
    I've seen one episode where she is starting her day practising tai chi
    :)
  • edited May 2005
    Master_SiteArticle277509.jpg
  • edited May 2005
    Yeah, Lisa Simpson is my favorite. I like the Simpsons because there are so many topics that are touched on with no fear of "ruffling feathers."

Adiana
  • edited May 2005
    Lisa is my hero. I even play the sax (used to be a jazz major).
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    personally, I'm a 'Maggie Fan'..... she just.....is.....!! :lol:
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    There is a great King of the Hill Buddhist episode also where Bobby might be a reincarnated Buddha.