Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The End Of Days

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited November 2005 in Buddhism Today
The End Of Days

You know, we've had a lot of End of Days, just within the last 100 years or so.

It seems like there is always this thought process that happens with the turn of a century. The ending of this last century was even more pronounced with people worrying about everything shutting down because of the Y2K issue. Most programmers knew that this wouldn't be the case and most consultants knew that the time was ripe for income due to people's fear. Not to mention people buying food to store in their basements, generator sales, etc.

But now, with the tsunami that hit recently, earthquakes in Pakistan and India, hurricanes blowing off the east coast of the US - people are starting to work themselves up into a frenzy regarding the end of the world.

For those of you with a Christian background - what do you think of these things? Is your belief strong enough? Do you find yourself waffling between "I am a Buddhist - these things happen because of the Earth and our impact on it." or "Oh crap! I'd better get back on the Jesus Bus!"

http://mediamatters.org/items/200509130004

mediamatter.org

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46148

World Net Daily

http://www.revelation13.net/KingJames8d.html

Some sort of Bible code page

http://www.escapeallthesethings.com/

Escape All These Things

If you didn't have enough paranoia in your life, I just thought I'd add grist for the mill.

-bf

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    There have been very few centuries which have not seen signs of the End! The millennial riots and panic a thousand years ago lasted for decades as people argued whether the 1000 years would end at the celebration of the birth of Jesus or 33 years later!

Buddhism has 'prophecies' about ages/eons/kalpas which were taken over from even more ancient, Vedic texts.

Because every generation thinks it is "the best of times, the worst of times", how can we imagine that all this will continue without us? Obviously, the degeneracy of this age as against a golden past proves that this must be the end! And then, in another generation, that will be the end, and then another....
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    "He who has Faith dies once in a lifetime. He who has NO faith dies a little each day...."

Where does she get all of these....?!?
  • edited October 2005
    I don't know why there is all the fuss about "the end of the world." I mean, we're all going to die anyways! I'm soooo much more likely to die from a car crash then the apocalypse - if there is one. I figure that our planet will eventually be destroyed, but I'll be long gone by then, probably by millions-billions of years.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Simon,

What you say is true, but as these things happen, do people lose or change their faith?

Back in the 40's, I think it was readily taught (and in following years) that Hitler was the Anti-Christ.

I don't know much about stories from India, but I don't know of many stories that have such a horrific ending as those written by John on that lonely little island.

-bf
    edited October 2005
    Besides, Simon,

I know what a pessimist you are.

I can totally see you standing at the pearly gates getting into an argument with Peter - pointing out some loophole that God forgot about...

-bf
    edited October 2005
    [Fede., you'll relate to this, I think! as you're another conformity refusnik]

When I was learning about Deep Ecology, I got roundly told off when I said that, at the level of deep ecology, the disappearance of human beings might actually be an advantage. Even if it were not positively beneficial to the planet, human extinction would only be one more event on the long history of extinctions: life would continue. Not a popular view, I discovered. That's where the neologism "speciesist" stopped being a silly joke.

The problem with Judaeo-Christian apocalypses is their judgmental nature. Henry James said that good Americans went to Paris when they died but the Rapture does not seem to have as amusing a destination. And then there's all the death and destruction for those who are left (nice God! kind God!) and, finally, a general judgment with sheep and goats (what they are going to do with all that livestock, I have never understood, unless buggery will be the rule in this version of heaven - good for some populations, one understands. Will wide wellies be provided?)

Give me a good pessimistic Ragnarok. Much more fun!
    edited October 2005
    ... a general judgment with sheep and goats (what they are going to do with all that livestock, I have never understood, unless buggery will be the rule in this version of heaven - good for some populations, one understands. Will wide wellies be provided?)

Give me a good pessimistic Ragnarok. Much more fun!

I had of have a friend of mine in Scotland tell me about the whole Wellies thing. We're a bit more "natural" here in our lovemaking - being the Wild West and all.

He also told me about using a "cliff" to make your "partner" a little more "active"...

You English are sick!

-bf
    edited October 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I had of have a friend of mine in Scotland tell me about the whole Wellies thing. We're a bit more "natural" here in our lovemaking - being the Wild West and all.

He also told me about using a "cliff" to make your "partner" a little more "active"...

You English are sick!

-bf

FIRST: the Scots are not English!

SECOND: euh....euh....! Probably no "second" 'cos I live near the Forest of Dean and foresters will tell you that sheep have feelings, too.
    edited October 2005
    True.

I did not mean to infer that.

I've heard Irish and Scottish say, "You may get away with calling us British. But never English."

I assume all the livestock are of "legal age"?

-bf
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Heil Odin, Freya, Thor and all the High Ones of Valhalla! The Twilight of the Gods is upon us! :rockon:

"...Raging howls from Garmr before Gnipahellir,
    The fetters will burst, the beast will run:
    Many charms I know, further in the future afar I behold
    The judgement of the gods who give victory.

Brother shall strike brother and both fall,
    Parents shall defile their kin;
    Evil be on earth, an age of adultery,
    Axe time, sword time,
    Of split shields,
    A wind-age, a wolf-age till the world caves in;
    No man shall show mercy to another..."

- Taken from the Völuspá

Reino Perakorpi (a.k.a. Me :rarr: )
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Kalpas come, kalpas go, but samsara goes on forever (until we exit from it). So what's a few extinctions here and there?

By the way, there's absolutely nothing about the so-called "Rapture" in the Bible. It's just a fiction made up by Christian extremists, sort of holy wishful thinking.
  • edited October 2005
    Hi bf, everybody
    You're right, this is a topic that never seems to go away in Christian circles. If you want some real insight into just how ill some of these folks are got to prophecywatchers.com (or .org). A lot of the problem is, as usual, egocentrism. Most of the apocalyptic passages in the Christian scripture deal with the sacking of Jerusalem in AD 70 by the Roman army, in my opinion. A good example of this is in Matthew 24, the passage a lot people use to support their claims of imenent destruction preceded by a sudden evacuation of Christians. The context of the prophetic declarations of Jesus are based on the disciples pointing out the grandeur of the temple in Jerusalem. Jesus says, basically, pretty soon there won't be much left of it. They are kind of put off by this and ask him later what the signs of this event getting ready to happen are, as well as the end of the age and his coming. In my view, the age that is ending is the age of Mosaic law and the rule of the current priesthood and Jesus 'coming' occured as a real event in the sense he came against Jerusalem in judgement. The point I am making is that all of the who, what, when, and wheres are largly ignored and scripture is applied to 'us now' in every generation. There are also a number of verses poorly translated from the original that give the impression of global events, when really a regional happening with a definitive time that effects a determined group of people is being promoted. There are intersting things like 666 being an acrostic for Nero in both Greek and Hebrew and various other internal and external evidences to support this view. The view is called partial preterist.
    I have said all of that basically so I could say this. I get just as frustrated, and amused, by all the hype. Over on praize a lot of people were talking about "Is (insert natural disiaster) judgement from God and is that the horsemen of the apocolypse's hoofbeats I hear?" to the point I posted the question "Who would Jesus kill?" just so they would have to own their statements if they were going to make them. That did not endear me to very many folks.
    I do believe that there will be a second coming of Jesus on this earth, but I feel it will take place as spiritual people come together in love and his character is manifested on a large scale. I remember reading a Buddhist teacher who wrote something like the next incarnation of the Dali Lama could be a corporate manifistation of the Sangha, something like that. That kind of thinking, in my opinion, puts the emphasis right where it should be, on the practice of mindfullness and loving kindness.
    By the way, after reading the posts following the original, it may be of help to some folks to know that there is a phenomena that is known as 'goat boots' back home. If you put a goats hind feet in a pair of boots he becomes, reportably, immobilized and agitated. I think they left that one out of the farmers almanac.

Peace and Light, David
    edited October 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    Heil Odin, Freya, Thor and all the High Ones of Valhalla! The Twilight of the Gods is upon us! :rockon:

"...Raging howls from Garmr before Gnipahellir,
    The fetters will burst, the beast will run:
    Many charms I know, further in the future afar I behold
    The judgement of the gods who give victory.

Brother shall strike brother and both fall,
    Parents shall defile their kin;
    Evil be on earth, an age of adultery,
    Axe time, sword time,
    Of split shields,
    A wind-age, a wolf-age till the world caves in;
    No man shall show mercy to another..."

- Taken from the Völuspá

Reino Perakorpi (a.k.a. Me :rarr: )

http://users.wolfcrews.com/toys/vikings/

-bf
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited October 2005
    :confused: Yeah, what is it with the rapture? It's like they almost WANT the world to end, so they are proven right.

Jesus will appear in the sky and all believers will float up to him? Tcha...as if.

There was a funny opener to Six Feet Under, where a pickup truck carrying inflatable love-dolls crashes and they all start floating skyward. A woman driver (with a bumper sticker that says "I brake for the rapture") see them, dashes excitedly into traffic yelling "wait for me!"...and is promptly run over.

If you want to be notified by email that the rapture has come and you are left behind, go to:

http://www.raptureletters.com/
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Love it, Magwang! :crazy:
  • edited October 2005
    For what it is worth I agree with your take on this. Since I move in primarily Christian circles my nose gets rubbed in this a lot. The actual meaning of those passages that people use to support this rapture theory are generaly missunderstood and taken out of context. The idea of a 'rapture' in modern Christian language didn't really come about until about 1870 when this little girl had a dream about it during a fevered sickness and this 'evangelist' of dubious reputation grabbed the idea as a marketing tool.
    My idea is that 'meeting Jesus in the air' is best understood in the context of the Biblical teaching of three heavens. The first being the atmosphere we breath, the second being the realm of spiritual beings (both positive and negative, call them what you like), and the third heaven which is described as the paradise of God. Point is, the paradise of God manifests in this diminsion or realm. This seems in line with other Biblical teaching concerning the full manifestation of the Kingdom of God upon earth. It does not involve Jesus killing anybody or even being upset about the vowel sounds you used when you talked to God. It does involve ressurections and grace.
    I'm not trying to sell this. I'm just attempting to present the idea that all Christians don't feel the same way as Tim LaHaye and the "Left Behind" crowd.

Peace and Light, David
  • edited October 2005
    Forgot to mention, the original use of the word rapture was in connection with the experiences of Christian mystics to describe connection with what we percieve to be the uncreated essence of God. This experience is had during meditation usually initiated with the use of a mantra such as the name of Jesus or the phrase "Maranatha" which is Aramaic for 'come Lord Jesus.' It is an ecstatic and transforming experience.

David
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Just like to say that I have litle or no knowledge of the scriptures to the extent you have Zen... like most Christian- raised, middle-of-the -road chuch-going Catholics of my generation, I have an idea of the CONtent, but not the layers and layers of INtent. thank you for your instructive, informative and very stimulating posts. IMO, FWIW....! :)
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Buddhafoot,
    With all that has been happening in the world, I thought of the apocalypse once. And then I realized that many other people of many other times thought their disasters were the coming of Jesus. Since I can no longer believe the Bible or most of Christian doctrine, I have absolutely no plans of returning to my former church. But if there are Christians visiting this site with a really cool car, can I have it if the rapture occurs?
    edited October 2005
    Jerbear wrote:
    ... But if there are Christians visiting this site with a really cool car, can I have it if the rapture occurs?

See!? That's what I like about you. Always thinking ahead.

Excellent plan.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    Thanks Federica, I'm glad you feel that way. I think that the influences of Buddhism and Christianity are both important aspects of the future of the human race's development and it is a blessing to be able to enjoy the company of everyone here. It is a treat for me to be able to ask candid questions without being concerned about being pummeled for having a different take on things.
    If I recall correctly, you are in France. Are the people there very spiritualy minded or is the mindset mostly material? The folks here in the U.S all seem to have some concept of God or spirituality that influences their actions.

Blessings, David
  • edited October 2005
    If I am wrong and there is a 'rapture' event you'all can rafle my car off and give the proceeds to a local Sangha. It isn't real expensive, but it is a loaded, metalic red Mazda 3 and should at least fetch enough to print lititure for all the new seekers that would come out of the woodwork.
    Dave
    edited October 2005
    Thanks Federica, I'm glad you feel that way. I think that the influences of Buddhism and Christianity are both important aspects of the future of the human race's development and it is a blessing to be able to enjoy the company of everyone here. It is a treat for me to be able to ask candid questions without being concerned about being pummeled for having a different take on things.
    If I recall correctly, you are in France. Are the people there very spiritualy minded or is the mindset mostly material?
    The folks here in the U.S all seem to have some concept of God or spirituality that influences their actions.

Blessings, David

I'll be straight with you, I have never, ever met such a non-christian Christian society as the French....! Church and State are very separate, and people almost dare not mention religion or discuss it because it simply doesn't form a part of their make-up.
    When I first arrived here, I innocently suggested that maybe the primary school could organise a nativity pageant and I might as well have suggested we ritualistically disembowel the children - the staff were horrified and stated quite emphatically that anything religious was the parish Church's department and strictly taboo!!

* OFF TOPIC*
    Nick and I want to get married next year.... (he just looked over my shoulder and said: "Do we?" I pseudo- panic-stricken replied, "Don't we?!" at which point he walked off....!)
    I'm Buddhist, he's Atheist, but all ceremonies are based around marriage being sacred before God. But here's the thing: A church marriage on its own in France, is not legally binding. You have to be married in a civil ceremony first, by the Town Mayor. But it's still the 'Before God' bit.... go figure.....!!
  • edited October 2005
    Regardless of what we do, this world will cease to exist one day. As our sun turns into a red giant in around 4 billion years or so, it will no doubt engulf our planet and roast it to ashes. Providing we don't blow this world up first, this scientific explanation is the most probable outcome.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    If I am wrong and there is a 'rapture' event you'all can rafle my car off and give the proceeds to a local Sangha. It isn't real expensive, but it is a loaded, metalic red Mazda 3 and should at least fetch enough to print lititure for all the new seekers that would come out of the woodwork.
    Dave

Dave,
    Please forgive my little joke. It's taken me many years to even make a joke about Christianity. You seem to be a person who is sincerely seeking and that is the kind of person I can respect. I've seen too many people carry a Bible and not know a thing about it or what's in it or how to even read it. And I was one of them a long time ago. You may keep your Mazda cuz you probably look very cool in it!
    edited November 2005
    Damn! No raffle? And I wuz gonna bid for it.... got my savin's out 'n' everythang....!!:D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Zen Christian,

Have you ever read The Cloud of Unknowing or any of the other Christian mystic writings, such as by St. John of the Cross? The similarity to Buddhist mystic writings is, of course, obvious. I really loved The Cloud of Unknowing when I read it many long years ago.

Palzang
    edited November 2005
    federica wrote:
    When I first arrived here, I innocently suggested that maybe the primary school could organise a nativity pageant and I might as well have suggested we ritualistically disembowel the children - the staff were horrified and stated quite emphatically that anything religious was the parish Church's department and strictly taboo!!

* OFF TOPIC*
    Nick and I want to get married next year.... (he just looked over my shoulder and said: "Do we?" I pseudo- panic-stricken replied, "Don't we?!" at which point he walked off....!)
    I'm Buddhist, he's Atheist, but all ceremonies are based around marriage being sacred before God. But here's the thing: A church marriage on its own in France, is not legally binding. You have to be married in a civil ceremony first, by the Town Mayor. But it's still the 'Before God' bit.... go figure.....!!

Fede,

That was funny about the nativity pageant :)

As for getting married - I believe the same things applies here in the states. You can have all the church ceremonies you want - but, at least in the state I'm in - you have to get married by the State.

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Fede,

That was funny about the nativity pageant :)

As for getting married - I believe the same things applies here in the states. You can have all the church ceremonies you want - but, at least in the state I'm in - you have to get married by the State.

-bf

Yes, it's a contract before the state. I am not against the ceremony, but since Americans are in such an uproar of the sanctity of marriage (in which 50% fail), I think it should all be done in front of a justice of the peace or however it's done. And also, taking a test might not be a bad idea either. My brother has been married twice and divorced twice. I don't think he knows how to be married. OOPS, I feel anger rising up in me. I better embrace it and let it go.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    When I got married in 2000, I looked for any Buddhist references or quotes relating to marriage to include in our vows. I couldn't find any, so I decided to not even attempt to include anything Buddhist in the ceremony. I thought it would be improper.

BTW, still married to that wonderful girl.
    edited November 2005
    When Chris and I married, we recited the words of Ruth to Naomi as part of our vows, and I read them again over her coffin.
    edited November 2005
    I hope and take it you mean these.....?

"Whither thou goest, I will go; And where thou lodgest, I will lodge; thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God."
    Ruth 1:16

Beautiful words. :)
    edited November 2005
    federica wrote:
    I hope and take it you mean these.....?

"Whither thou goest, I will go; And where thou lodgest, I will lodge; thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God."
    Ruth 1:16

Beautiful words. :)

and the rest, verse 17:
    "Wherever you die, I will die and there I will be buried. May the Lord do this thing to me, and more also, if even death should come between us!"
    edited November 2005
    And if it's from the King James' Version..... what could be more beautiful? So tragic that it is no longer used.... take the Poetry out of Religion, and you decimate the beauty of the original message...IMHO....
    edited November 2005
    federica wrote:
    And if it's from the King James' Version..... what could be more beautiful? So tragic that it is no longer used.... take the Poetry out of Religion, and you decimate the beauty of the original message...IMHO....

There are still some "churches" in the US that use the King James version. I do like the writing of the King James version - but had a hard time with it for quite awhile.

Like the part about how one of Noah's sons knew Noah's wife.

Of course Noah's son knew Noah's wife! She was his mom for God's sake!

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    Hey Jerry, no apology needed but I appreciate your sentiments. I joke about this stuff all the time. Emotions run so high in Christian circles about this topic that one has to walk on eggshells in order not to get folks upset. I explained my ideas regarding Biblical prophecy, which do not include a rapture event as it is commonly understood, to this teenage girl one time (last time I do that) and her reaction was "Well, if there is no rapture what are we living for!" and had to counsel with our pastor to work through it. I only discuss this stuff with people that are able to disagree cordialy. I usually end up telling people that I'll bet $5 that I'm right and if I'm wrong I'll pay up in the fullness of the Kingdom.

David
  • edited November 2005
    I have heard similiar things but thought that it was Christian 'missionaries' exageration done to generate revenue and such. I know that Christianity in Europe carries a lot more negative baggage than America, but for a society to reject all spirituality as a norm seems alomost against the grain of human nature. I am not a big historian, but has that ever happened before in any other society to this degree?

David
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Simon,
    I don't know how long it's been since your wife's passing, but my sincerest condolences on your loss. There are no words I can say that even would describe what you've been through. Reading the words of Ruth and Naomi were perfect. I caught a tear in my eye as I read the posts related to it. That was extremely touching.
  • edited November 2005
    When Sonny and I got married, we did it before a judge in the judge's chambers. We both had been married before---he was divorced and I was widowed from my first marriage. That is why we did not want the big church ceremony; we both had already experienced it. We decided we wanted to have a big reception instead. It was nice. However, Sonny died in January of 2003, so it will be three years this January since his death and, at times, I still almost double over in pain from missing him. Simon, I can really relate to how you felt at your spouse's death. Please accept my deepest sympathy about your wife's death even though I don't know when she died.

Adiana:usflag:
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Adiana,
    My condolences on the loss of your husband. There are no words that can describe what you're going through. I lost my twin sister in 2001 and I still want to pick up the phone and call her and see how she's doing. I still cry now and then about her passing. But I hope sheis happy whatever happens after death. Again, my condolences on your loss.