Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How would you react to direct violence?

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Today
Let's say you are walking down the street.
A guy suddenly appear.
And he slap hard across your face,
took away your hat,
make funny face with tongue out,
and run away,
while you suffer from painful, bloody face.

Which action would you choose to take?

A. Total revenge
You get so mad and decided to take extreme measure to punish and destroy him. You chase after him and beat him severely. You hire someone to track him down and hurt him and destroy his home as a mean of teaching him a lesson.
I think most of us won't give in to such extreme anger but it happens. I would refrain from revenge. We have to learn the lesson from Milarepa. He made a mistake and sort of regretted it.

B. Moderate anger
You got slapped and your hat is stolen. It does not feel good. You choose to feel angry. You keep thinking of him and wish that he will face misfortune. You whine that you had an unlucky day. Your mood is dark and face is black.
I think this is a natural and reasonable reaction to get angry in this way. Most people will choose this. If not for Buddhism, I'll choose this option.

C. Compassion
You shed tears for him, knowing that he's creating bad karma for himself. You grow compassion for him hoping that he'll wake up from his samsaric ignorance and wish him all the best. You choose not to give in to anger and hold on to compassion.
I'm practising this. My initial reaction is choice B, but when I realize my anger arises, I consciously choose C. It's not an "automatic" reaction but with practice it'll get easier. It's not easy to love your enemy.

D. Impermanence
You see this event as an illusion of sunyata. You perceive him beyond good and bad, as a bad person will change to good and vice versa. You don't hold grudge for things are impermanence. Enemy will change to friend. You pain will heal and your hat will come to you when you buy a new one. An event will subside and become calm again like nothing happens. This is your choice of seeing.

E. Emptiness
You see through the true nature of such event as emptiness and you remain in your zen like realization and stay cool.

F. Buddha
You choose to perceive that the person who slapped you is the buddha. His action is perceived as dharma to teach you a lesson. You thank buddha.

G. Calm and rational
You choose to keep your head cool, go to the police station (the proper channel) and make a report about the incident, and continue your life.

So what's your choice?

I'm not going to judge right/wrong on each choices.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I'm not sure any of those apply. Isn't it just a basic principle, at least it is for me, that if a stranger touches you in a violent way, you should defend yourself? Not to kill, of course.
  • edited October 2010
    BlackFlag wrote: »
    I'm not sure any of those apply. Isn't it just a basic principle, at least it is for me, that if a stranger touches you in a violent way, you should defend yourself? Not to kill, of course.

In a way that's not wrong.
    That's why Shaolin monks learn kung fu to defend.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Monks don't wear hats.
  • edited October 2010
    nanadhaja wrote: »
    Monks don't wear hats.

LOL....

It sounds like "emptiness" There is no spoon zen-like philosophy.
    I lose nothing. The sun and moon is there for me....

hehe... monks are cool and peaceful.

But lamas still wear red/yellow hats.
    edited October 2010
    mantra0 wrote: »
    LOL....

It sounds like "emptiness" There is no spoon zen-like philosophy.
    I lose nothing. The sun and moon is there for me....

hehe... monks are cool and peaceful.

But lamas still wear red/yellow hats.
    Yeah.I should say that Theravada monks are not SUPPOSED to wear hats.:)
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    It's just a hat. Anyone who chooses A needs help.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Which option would equate to shrugging it off as a random event then going about my business as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened?

EDIT: The above of course is assuming he did all of this and made good his escape before I had a chance to properly react. If he continued the attack or just stood there I would defend myself to the point where if it came down to it, I'd do whatever possible to make sure I was the one still alive after the confrontation. If he just stood there with my hat, I'd ask for it back. If he refused, I'd try to snatch it back without harming him. If he continues to refuse... THEN I would go on about my business.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Zayl wrote: »
    Which option would equate to shrugging it off as a random event then going about my business as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened?

EDIT: The above of course is assuming he did all of this and made good his escape before I had a chance to properly react. If he continued the attack or just stood there I would defend myself to the point where if it came down to it, I'd do whatever possible to make sure I was the one still alive after the confrontation. If he just stood there with my hat, I'd ask for it back. If he refused, I'd try to snatch it back without harming him. If he continues to refuse... THEN I would go on about my business.

Precisely
  • edited October 2010
    C-D-E-F-G-OTHER POSSIBILITIES

Are the same option :D
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Based on my response to a similar incident about 14 months ago when someone tried to steal my wallet, I would probably react with incoherent, screaming fury, leading to a ridiculous exchange in which my would-be assailant would invite me to take another swing at him, I would run towards him screaming "come and get it, you dumb shit!" and he would turn his bicycle around and ride out of range. Lather rinse repeat. Then I would calm down over the next several days. Still got some attachments in that department, and it's going to take some practice to release them. Actually, I feel kind of proud, writing this, which is an uncomfortable dissonance...
  • edited October 2010
    It's a little hard for me to imagine people shedding tears toward their direct attackers.
    Imagine a rape victim having compassion for the raper? It's beyond ordinary. But it's that quality that makes a person go transcend into spiritual enlightened being.

When the Taliban regime destroyed the ancient Buddha statue, it was sad.
    But the Buddhists around the world choose not to succumb to violence, and that really makes me proud to be a Buddhist.

Of course, we shouldn't fall to the extreme of letting people take advantage over us. There's a limit. There's the middle way. We have to be shaolin monks too. That's why we have wraithful guardians to protect Buddhism.
  • edited October 2010
    It's just a hat. Anyone who chooses A needs help.

Yeah I agree with you.

But sadly, in real life, there are still many people who will choose A.
    I'm saddened to know that there are huge mass of people who are angered by small issue or manipulated by some propaganda become violent and destructive.
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Based on my response to a similar incident about 14 months ago when someone tried to steal my wallet, I would probably react with incoherent, screaming fury, leading to a ridiculous exchange in which my would-be assailant would invite me to take another swing at him, I would run towards him screaming "come and get it, you dumb shit!" and he would turn his bicycle around and ride out of range. Lather rinse repeat. Then I would calm down over the next several days. Still got some attachments in that department, and it's going to take some practice to release them. Actually, I feel kind of proud, writing this, which is an uncomfortable dissonance...
    That would be pretty close to my response - lots of swearing (probably out loud) - then reporting to the police. Because of the intensity of the incident, it would probably take a while to put it behind me, but I would move on.
  • edited October 2010
    I chose other. I would remain cool but go after the person.I would demand the return of my hat ,as well as return his "gift of violence ".
    Being spiritual , Buddhist or other, doesn't mean being a passive doormat as some wish to believe. That would be pure yin. let alone being a coward. I believe that to have balance you would have to exert the yang. This would be accordance with the Tao. icon7.gif
  • edited October 2010
    A guy suddenly appear.
    took away your hat,
    and run away,

If it happened like this I would probably be stunned at first that something so random happened.:wtf: Then some combination of choices D, E and G is probably how I would react. Of course, I've never had anything like this happen so who knows?

Before starting on the middle path, I would have chosen choice B. :grumble:
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I am a fighter and a martial artist before I am a Buddhist, so no one would ever lay a hand on me to try and harm me without serious retaliation. It be like trying to hit a tiger. I feel no guilt about that, it's what feels right to me. It's just defense, and that is balance. I do not let people walk over me.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited October 2010
    H. High block front hand, reverse palm strike?
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Monks don't wear hats.
    Sorry... just had to do it... :eek:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSb5RNJ0Cnn2Nu1CQa4HWYFRavRfbE3VcHd3CewjlenF13Exy4&t=1&usg=__i5O8Ms5arOf9JwoG9ic0vJrXO3E=
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited October 2010
    This is very difficult. In the past I have been struck in the face and reacted quickly striking back to the attackers face and head until they were on the ground and posed no further threat. This was done without much thought and fueled by furious anger. Thirty years later, I'm in a restaurant with a colleague speaking to another colleague on speaker phone when we are verbally assaulted by another patron who is angry enough with our conversation interrupting his plans for what to order for breakfast that he's standing over our table threatening us and attempting to knock the cell phone from my hand. Sure, we were probably a little too loud and public cell phone conversations can be irritating but this was a physical threat and provocation to engage in hand to hand combat. I told the patron to find another seat in the restaurant. Forcefully. I called the waitress over and asked her to seat the patron and his wife elsewhere and it was done. The patron called me a name or two (I've been called worse) and walked off with his wife. He was still angry but neither of us suffered a physical attack. Afterwords I wondered how this had happened without a physical altercation. Especially after the patron swiped across the table and hit my cell phone in my hand trying to knock it away. My colleague was so intent on our speaker phone conversation he did not even pay attention to the angry patron and continued speaking to the voice coming out of the phone while the patron was raving - which made the whole scene even more ludicrous.
    So I'm sort of in agreement with Zayl here. Just a random event - shrug it off and carry on. We had appointments to keep....
    And I chose: "I don't know" - because every situation is unique.
    edited October 2010
    Sorry... just had to do it... :eek:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSb5RNJ0Cnn2Nu1CQa4HWYFRavRfbE3VcHd3CewjlenF13Exy4&t=1&usg=__i5O8Ms5arOf9JwoG9ic0vJrXO3E=
    Nice photo.I actually reposted before saying that Theravada monks are not SUPPOSED to wear hats:lol: Note the emphasis on" Supposed."
  • edited October 2010
    I am a fighter and a martial artist before I am a Buddhist, so no one would ever lay a hand on me to try and harm me without serious retaliation. It be like trying to hit a tiger. I feel no guilt about that, it's what feels right to me. It's just defense, and that is balance. I do not let people walk over me.
    I like this guy. Tho, you should check if there is no ego floating around there, when you are going to defend: it is because some kind of "warrior pride"? Or it is because self-respect?
    Would you just defense the necessary? Or would you "teach him a lesson or two"?
    :P
  • edited October 2010
    Nice photo.I actually reposted before saying that Theravada monks are not SUPPOSED to wear hats:lol: Note the emphasis on" Supposed."

I heard some monks are not suppose to use umbrella too.
    How they shield from rain and sun while moving around?
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Alfonso wrote: »
    I like this guy. Tho, you should check if there is no ego floating around there, when you are going to defend: it is because some kind of "warrior pride"? Or it is because self-respect?
    Would you just defense the necessary? Or would you "teach him a lesson or two"?
    :P

Thank you. It is a bit of warrior pride, self respect, and necessary defense, but not revenge. I just look at it this way. If someone tries to hurt me physically with bad intention they're going to realize that they picked a fight with the wrong person. In the direct moment I would strike them down in defense. But if they tried to run away from me, and outran me I would forget about it, and not seek revenge.
  • edited October 2010
    Thank you. It is a bit of warrior pride, self respect, and necessary defense, but not revenge. I just look at it this way. If someone tries to hurt me physically with bad intention they're going to realize that they picked a fight with the wrong person. In the direct moment I would strike them down in defense. But if they tried to run away from me, and outran me I would forget about it, and not seek revenge.
    Self-respect is ok, Bodhisattvas should have respect for themselves first... not only Bodhisattvas now that I think, any kind of buddhist: that's why we don't go to the extreme of self-damaging asceticism. :P But I think that it would be a good idea to only do it as a training for testing the ego putting the other cheek. I know that's not a proper attitude (I don't support it too much either), but sometimes I like playing a little with extremes to test the ego :lol:
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited October 2010
    A guy suddenly appear.
    took away your hat,
    and run away,

I'll chase the man and try to 'play'( a more violent play) with him, and take my hat back. Aikidoing the thief is mandatory.

Well, this thing happened to me some years ago. A guy, a former colleague of mine ( who is now the biggest loser in my high school) stole my hat and ran away, trying to prove his friends who was walking with that he is a tough guy. The man ran as fast as he could, but I , being more faster than him managed to get pass by him, and I put my leg i nfront of him, so he nearly fell, and I took my hat back. No violence, no thought to destroy that person.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited November 2010
    A guy suddenly appear.
    took away your hat,
    and run away,

A. Total revenge
    You get so mad and decided to take extreme measure to punish and destroy him. You chase after him and beat him severely. You hire someone to track him down and hurt him and destroy his home as a mean of teaching him a lesson.
    I think most of us won't give in to such extreme anger but it happens. I would refrain from revenge. We have to learn the lesson from Milarepa. He made a mistake and sort of regretted it.

B. Moderate anger
    You got slapped and your hat is stolen. It does not feel good. You choose to feel angry. You keep thinking of him and wish that he will face misfortune. You whine that you had an unlucky day. Your mood is dark and face is black.
    I think this is a natural and reasonable reaction to get angry in this way. Most people will choose this. If not for Buddhism, I'll choose this option.

C. Compassion
    You shed tears for him, knowing that he's creating bad karma for himself. You grow compassion for him hoping that he'll wake up from his samsaric ignorance and wish him all the best. You choose not to give in to anger and hold on to compassion.
    I'm practising this. My initial reaction is choice B, but when I realize my anger arises, I consciously choose C. It's not an "automatic" reaction but with practice it'll get easier. It's not easy to love your enemy.

D. Impermanence
    You see this event as an illusion of sunyata. You perceive him beyond good and bad, as a bad person will change to good and vice versa. You don't hold grudge for things are impermanence. Enemy will change to friend. You pain will heal and your hat will come to you when you buy a new one. An event will subside and become calm again like nothing happens. This is your choice of seeing.

E. Emptiness
    You see through the true nature of such event as emptiness and you remain in your zen like realization and stay cool.

F. Buddha
    You choose to perceive that the person who slapped you is the buddha. His action is perceived as dharma to teach you a lesson. You thank buddha.

G. Calm and rational
    You choose to keep your head cool, go to the police station (the proper channel) and make a report about the incident, and continue your life.

So what's your choice?

I'm not going to judge right/wrong on each choices.
    Firstly, I would be aware of my surroundings. Secondly I would be watching when the guy jumped out. Thirdly I would probably block his clumsy attack and respond as I deemed necessary. But as a martial artist (though not very good) I would realise that there are no guarantees in these cases. Given the option and the request I would probably just give the guy my hat or my wallet, who knows what he's got in his pockets! If he took me by surprise I would do whatever comes instinctively from training, which he may not like. But there will be no ill will in the confrontation from my point of view. The thing that Buddhists sometimes forget is that intention is more important than action, still there are always karmic repercussions. It would also depend on whether I only needed to look after myself, or others. If others were involved then I would be more likely just to give the guy what he wanted. And as one last plug for martial arts, an experienced martial artist can help determine an outcome in which neither the aggressor or the potential victim are not harmed. This is a serious option for an experienced martial artist. Of course this depends on the individual martial arts club involved and their code.

Cheers, WK
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Excuse me, but I have a very thick skull and can't understand this question.

I'd simply be confused (or stunned, as somebody else said above) and be looking up in the sky for the next fifteen minutes to see where that strange comet came from. I'd fill out a police report and identify the assailant as an extraterrestrial at large.

I don't think I could ever forget such a strange, almost comical occurrence.

Aside from the direct violence scenario raised here (which is strange to be called direct, in that it seems almost aloof), I'm not so good at indirect violence, though. I really should take Ativan before seeing most movies —They seem so real to me.
  • edited November 2010
    I would just keep calm and call the police. I would also feel quite sorry for him because you know there's something seriously wrong with a person who would do such a thing.
    edited November 2010
    Hey Marcus! That's My line! I use it a lot at the nursing home where I work, in my dealings with clients and some others. "There'd have to be something seriously wrong with anybody who didn't like YOU," I say.

That's just it! There is something seriously wrong with people who get all violent. When one really, really needs to vent they could do it "outside" in free space or take it out on a punching bag or something.

However, with anger we lose 80% of judgment, which leaves people with poor judgement with practically zilch. Yes, there is something seriously wrong with someone who cannot control his fists. You gotta feel sorry for the poor fella, and hope that somebody teaches him a better way of coping.
  • edited November 2010
    Haha, well it is a magnificant line.

You're exactly right, in this scenario we haven't even done anything to provoke the attacker, which adds to the insanity of him, which gives us ever more reason to feel sympathetic towards him.

Yes, absolutely, whenever I am angry I make an effort to lock myself away in solitude so I'm incapable of doing anything that could hurt something while my judgement is clouded, and only re-emerge when my anger has passed and I'm capable of thinking rationally.

Also, what he has done does not have very much effect on me at all, not nearly enough to yield as a physical retaliation. I mean, it's just a slap, and a hat. It doesn't really matter, getting angry about that will not achieve nearly as much as staying cool would. I do however believe you have a duty to inform the police so they can take measures to try and prevent this from happening again.
    edited November 2010
    I agree with you now about the police report, Marcus, as I also had concurred with this matter of filing a police report in post 28 above.

I've seen some pretty hostile encounters between people involved in minor traffic accidents before, too. I guess they're upset about being delayed and the damage and all, but hey, it coulda been a tragedy! With their rage boiling over they lose sight of the fact that maybe a little gentle regard showing sympathy for the loss involved might be more endearing and saving of the day. Not only is it so sad that we throw such opportunities away, but we add insult to injury!

Above all, do no harm! Believe in the power of patient forbearance to bear fruit.
  • conradcookconradcook Veteran
    edited November 2010
    You've left a possible response out:

You chase the guy through the city. He gets away. You search wildly for him. You come around the corner and see the creep walking along wearing your hat, as if nothing happened! You hit him as hard as you can, take your hat back, and run away laughing.

While he's standing there stunned, a man with a clip-board walks up and says, "Excuse me, I'm conducting a survey..." A few blocks away, you realize this is not your hat.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • finding0finding0 Veteran
    edited November 2010
    It depends on the threat level. I am a muay thai kick boxer and have a very high pain tolerance. If the person hits me and it really hurts I will defend my self with my training. If they are not hurting me much i will restrain them. If they are using a weapon i will do what i have to. But even if I hurt them bad I will show them compassion and take care of them
  • edited November 2010
    I voted 'G'. But where I stay, the nature of crime is much more serious. Being a GAD sufferer, I'm not sure how I'll handle extremely violent crimes.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I'm with Nirvana and would have to choose "I don't know" and I'll bet everyone else should do the same. An unexpected attack by what seems to be a crazy person? After I came out of my shock, I'd have to make some sort of report, because this crazy person might hurt himself or someone else worse.

And I'd go somewhere, sit down and wait until I stopped shaking before I tried to continue.

It reminds me of a good friend, a woman who not only had a black belt, she taught classes. She used to brag about how she was trained and felt safe from attack walking alone on the streets, because she was prepared. One day, a man jumped out at her from a doorway while she was walking down a sidewalk, grabbed her by the shirt and broke her jaw with one punch, then stole her purse and ran off while she lay on the ground, barely conscious. It took a long time for her to regain any degree of confidence. She said the lesson she had to learn was, nobody can prepare for the unexpected. That's why it's called the unexpected. You don't expect it.
  • sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I am not a Buddhist. I answered "anger."
    After reading the posts, I believe my true answer is "fear." (After fear might come anger) I will not effectively defend myself as I have no skills and would go down easily.
    If I was defending another, I might bring a fury that would mask my true weakness and confuse my assailant. Alone I would most likely take a beating and be glad when the perp was gone.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited December 2010
    C. Compassion
    this is a weird definition of compassion :confused:

Anyhow i would smile and move on with my life. :)
    (and probably spend the next hour trying to calm my wife)

no anger, just compassion to begin with.

You don't grow compassion. If you have to grow compassion it means you try to overcome another reaction like anger or sadness.

You just have understanding and compassion already.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Cinorjer wrote: »
    It reminds me of a good friend, a woman who not only had a black belt, she taught classes. She used to brag about how she was trained and felt safe from attack walking alone on the streets, because she was prepared.

That does not sound like the behaviour of a black belt, they should not be bragging about anything. To shy on giving the benefit of the doubt to your friend, maybe you misinterpreted what was said? Anyway, one thing that martial artists should know for certain, especially a high grade, is that 1) there are no guarantees, 2) there is always some better, and 3) luck (from a non Buddhist POV) or karma (from a Buddhist POV) always has an impact.

Part of the result of training to become a black belt should be increased awareness and increased intelligence such as not being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or at least minimising these opportunities.

Cheers, WK
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Whoknows wrote: »
    That does not sound like the behaviour of a black belt, they should not be bragging about anything. To shy on giving the benefit of the doubt to your friend, maybe you misinterpreted what was said? Anyway, one thing that martial artists should know for certain, especially a high grade, is that 1) there are no guarantees, 2) there is always some better, and 3) luck (from a non Buddhist POV) or karma (from a Buddhist POV) always has an impact.

Part of the result of training to become a black belt should be increased awareness and increased intelligence such as not being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or at least minimising these opportunities.

Cheers, WK

Possible, because it was a long time ago, and it was during at time when the whole group of us were doing some hard partying. People do say things over a tabletop of empty beer bottles that they would have the good sense not to say elsewhere.