Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Artificial Intelligence

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited November 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Does Buddhism here take a stance towards Artificial Intelligence? I'm currently an avid researcher in AI and coming out with this new AI technology which I unsurely say might, just might, put the many university computer scientists to shame. But the point is, me coming out with a sentinent program and to have my own religion say "AI SUCKS."

Comments

• edited October 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Does Buddhism here take a stance towards Artificial Intelligence? I'm currently an avid researcher in AI and coming out with this new AI technology which I unsurely say might, just might, put the many university computer scientists to shame. But the point is, me coming out with a sentinent program and to have my own religion say "AI SUCKS."

I can't imagine there's any stance toward AI in buddhism considering that 2,500 years ago, in the buddha's lifetime, the the computers they had were commadors at best ;) .
  • edited October 2005
    As with anything, just try to be conscious of the possible effects (karma) of your actions. Let that be your guide.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    I think that AI is a fascinating study and one which would very appropriate for the Buddhist. In some ways, it is not about Atrificial Intelligence but about Artificial Consciousness, and what could be more important than to define and understand consciousness? I really look forward to the day when the basic components of consciousness are mapped, like the human genone.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Heehee... Actually I got inspired by the Hitchhiker's Guide, to build a computer to find out the meaning of life, LOL. If not usually I would be building other applications... But now I changed the aims of the technology a little to be less dumb.

Well I codenamed it "D4PO", after the Star Wars C3PO, but its full name is Darwinistic Forethought Psychoanalysis Orderly. Sounds stupid, but it's gonna be fascinating. A program with a brain, an own psychology. Unfortunately for it to be done, I have to master what computer scientists spend years to study and research on... Well it'd be good next time when I pick up Com Sciences in university, where I breeze through boring lectures easily...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2005
    No need to build that computer, Ajani. We already know that the answer is 42.

Palzang
    edited October 2005
    Or perhaps the workings of why SIX TIMES NINE EQUALS TO 42!
    edited November 2005
    Part of my research so far defines the following stuff...

* LIFE: An entity with an original desire to react and act in any manner physically, or is able to do so, powered by an electrostatic force or biochemical substance that the entity hosts by itself independently, and is capable of sustaining or continuing its function to support the physical movements as intended, until the sustainance of the part can no longer be possible due to trauma, flaw or degeneration.

* INTELLIGENCE: The act of thought, whether intended or unintended, that results in a physical movement or conceptualized idea.

* THOUGHT: The capacity of an entity to make decisions or exhibit intelligence, as a result of any process it is born or created with so as to allow thought.

The process in question, however, can only serve as a guideline/suggestion/hint for the final result of intelligence. It cannot dictate answers via "direct passing" of information, but only "supervise" the nested process of the coming out of answers.

* ALIFE: An entity with life, only except that the entity in question has its life-supporting part made out of, and originally meant to be made out of, atoms and molecules that are usually unfound in significant quantities in organic matter, or bodies, but are instead found to be in large quantities in the entire body of the entity in question.

* AI: Artificial Intelligence: An entity with intelligence, only that the entity in question has its intelligence-originating part created or shaped out of, not by genetic factors or any natural processes (defined as processes leading to the initial creation of intelligence in organic lifeforms, but instead, by, either other entities with naturally-formed intelligence-originating parts (simply known as, well, brains) of their own, or by other entities that originate from the first place, from the conceptualized ideas of the formerly-mentioned brains.

* MEASURE OF INTELLIGENCE: The level, intensity, sophisication, speed, number, manner, ability or desire of a thought by an entity that results in a physical, cognitive, chemical, biological, neuro-biological, sentience or sapience change or developement.

A little crap and alot of nonsense, but I hope I got the gist... Personally I went about proving that Life and Intelligence were separate things before I came out with these definitions... A few very controversial essays I have written, that no doubt will anger many Buddhists except me I daresay...