Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Taoist Meditation VS Buddhist Meditation?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited October 2010 in Meditation
Taoist Meditation VS Buddhist Meditation?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    There is one kind of taoist meditation that practices focusing the mind at about two finger breaths below the navel however there is a kind Buddhist meditation that focuses at the centre of the body.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2010
    exonesion wrote: »
    There is one kind of taoist meditation that practices focusing the mind at about two finger breaths below the navel however there is a kind Buddhist meditation that focuses at the centre of the body.

The Hara is strenghthened in Zazen, it becomes the center of gravity so to speak, rather than your head. You live from your gut instead of your spinning thoughts. There is energy and grounded strength the Hara, but that is not the goal of meditation. The goal is non-grasping.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Thank you!
    Anyone else?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    :rolleyes:
    :0
  • There is one kind of taoist meditation that practices focusing the mind at about two finger breaths below the navel however there is a kind Buddhist meditation that focuses at the centre of the body.
    The hara is 3 finger breadths.. Just thought I would point out...
    @Federica What say?
  • edited January 2011
    Without Taoist and Buddhist, it is simply meditation, and the understanding of non-grasping is an important tenet in order to be in proper way of meditation :thumbsup:
    Without Taoist and Buddhist, it is simply meditation, and the understanding of non-grasping is an important tenet in order to be in proper way of meditation :thumbsup:
    So with or without them, meditation will just be that...meditation?
  • I regularly meditate with a Taoist. It seems pretty much the same thing to me.
  • Many taoists are buddhists, so...
    I regularly meditate with a Taoist. It seems pretty much the same thing to me.
    From my research or what not, Taoism is Modern Zen?
    Thoughts?
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    From my research or what not, Taoism is Modern Zen?
    Thoughts?
    My research has led me to this conclusion as well...

• Sorry, but ordinary meditation, concentration, cannot get one to nibbana by itself alone. This is because this kind is practiced at all times, in all ages, in many religions, whether a Buddha's teaching is alive or not, so if one could attain nibbana with it alone there would not be any need for Buddhas.
    Only by practicing Vipassana or mindfulness, the Buddha's technique from the Sattipattana sutta, can nibbana be achieved.
  • Sorry, but ordinary meditation, concentration, cannot get one to nibbana by itself alone. This is because this kind is practiced at all times, in all ages, in many religions, whether a Buddha's teaching is alive or not, so if one could attain nibbana with it alone there would not be any need for Buddhas.
    Only by practicing Vipassana or mindfulness, the Buddha's technique from the Sattipattana sutta, can nibbana be achieved.
    yes.

and the dissolving technique in Taoism is pretty much Vipassana.
  • I know nothing about Taoism, but vipassana is often confused because it is called a meditation technique. It is not about sitting or standing or walking....these are just formal sessions during which we practice mindfulness. Really we are meant to be mindful all day long, in whatever task we are doing, being present in the moment, being aware. Sounds easy but difficult to practice because we spend 90% of our lives on auto-pilot, day-dreaming about the past or future instead of really living in the moment.
  • I know nothing about Taoism, but vipassana is often confused because it is called a meditation technique. It is not about sitting or standing or walking....these are just formal sessions during which we practice mindfulness. Really we are meant to be mindful all day long, in whatever task we are doing, being present in the moment, being aware. Sounds easy but difficult to practice because we spend 90% of our lives on auto-pilot, day-dreaming about the past or future instead of really living in the moment.
    often confused with what?