Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wondering about the Temples in my town.

edited November 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I've been thinking for quite a while of actually joining a temple, and found that there are 2 in my city. Both are actually pretty involved in the community and even have flyers here and there offering free meditation sessions. but, i was wondering if anybody knows about the type of buddhism they practice. one is Yitung buddhism and the other is Jodo Shinshu buddhism. a couple years ago I dropped by one of them, don't know which, but from outside the building I could hear them all doing some sort of repetetive chanting ceremony. personally, I want to avoid temples that practice long chanting sessions, I just don't believe in it. after all, buddha didn't reach enlightenment by chanting over and over.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    How do you know if you like lasagne? how do you know if you don't like anchovies? You try them!!
    You simply approach them and ask if you can come and participate a couple of times, and talk to them..... get a feel of the place. Both might appeal. Both might not. You'll never know if you don't ask. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Do a Google search on the two types of Buddhism, and see what you find, but in the end, nothing beats personal experience. You see.... I can try to describe lasagne to you, but the flavours are for you to taste..... :)

Incidentally, there isn't a temple withing four hours of me.... so I don't have even the great choice you do.... but it doesn't bother me. I have all the 'temple' I personally need, right Here and Now..... ;)

Good Luck!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Mr. Devious (cool moniker by the way),
    Another possibility is to look up your state or province on www.buddhanet.net and see what is close to you. I had the opposite problem of our darling Fede and had the choice of over 10 temples, except that only one wasn't a Zen temple. Some people would go "Cool, that's so Zen" without knowing what they were talking about. Luckily I found one in my neighborhood that was Zen and I clicked with the teacher. That is more important. I'm not much for chanting myself but there is more to a service than just chanting. Meeting with like minded people helps your practice. Being able to talk to other people helps pointing you on The Way the Buddha talked about. Also, it is much easier to start a daily practice when you know others that are doing it, and your teacher is going to ask you about it. It's just to help you fine tune your practice not an interrogation. Let us know what you find out. There are many people in America that don't have anything to choose from due to distance. Take advantage of what you have in front of you.

By the way, even though I attend a Zen Buddhist temple, I still consider myself an agnostic Buddhist meaning I don't know alot of what is said is true. I don't know if I will have a rebirth. I don't know if the state of Nirvana is real. But using the practice daily has improved my life. That's what I consider most important.
  • edited November 2005
    Jerbear wrote:
    Mr. Devious (cool moniker by the way),
    Another possibility is to look up your state or province on www.buddhanet.net and see what is close to you. I had the opposite problem of our darling Fede and had the choice of over 10 temples, except that only one wasn't a Zen temple. Some people would go "Cool, that's so Zen" without knowing what they were talking about. Luckily I found one in my neighborhood that was Zen and I clicked with the teacher. That is more important. I'm not much for chanting myself but there is more to a service than just chanting. Meeting with like minded people helps your practice. Being able to talk to other people helps pointing you on The Way the Buddha talked about. Also, it is much easier to start a daily practice when you know others that are doing it, and your teacher is going to ask you about it. It's just to help you fine tune your practice not an interrogation. Let us know what you find out. There are many people in America that don't have anything to choose from due to distance. Take advantage of what you have in front of you.

By the way, even though I attend a Zen Buddhist temple, I still consider myself an agnostic Buddhist meaning I don't know alot of what is said is true. I don't know if I will have a rebirth. I don't know if the state of Nirvana is real. But using the practice daily has improved my life. That's what I consider most important.

thanks for the replies, I guess you are right that I need to just take a leap and check one of them out, perhapse the chanting won't be too long anyway. but, don't expect me to get back to you really soon, I don't know if ever. unfortunately, and I don't know if you've heard of this, but I've had Social Anxiety Disorder since I was 15 (I'm 20 now) and meeting anybody new quite honestly scares the hell out of me, so it would take quite a force of will, assuming I get the nerve up. I'll get back to you when and if I manage to anyway.

btw jerbear, what types of practices do zen buddhists have? I haven't really "sworm allegiance" to any particular sect yet (being fairly new), but the Zen philosophy has always seemed appealing to me. so what do they do, out of curiosity?
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Hey Mr. Devious,
    I wrote out a long response and then realized I never signed in when I tried to send it. Luckily I'm a good typist.

So what is a Zen service like? I can only tell you about the temple I attend. When we first enter we bow once toward the altar. Then we walk in front of the altar and bow 3 times. Everyone gets on a cushion and pillow (or in the case of us who are disabled we sit in chairs) and the teacher comes in last. He sits on his cushion and pillow and says a few things and then we meditate for 20 minutes. Then we get up and say the Three Refuges in Pali and then in English and then sit down for another 20 minute meditation. After that meditation we have a short Dharma talk (sermon if you like) and then it's over. We all leave one by one bowing before the Budhha statue and then go have tea and conversation (which is totally voluntary).

Now, I am someone who has generalized anxiety disorder and depression. Going to my first service was tough. I originally just went to their meditation class. But the teacher seemed to be a genuinely nice guy. He has gone out of his way to make everyone feel comfortable. Maybe one day I will be able to sit on a cushion. I had back surgery last year and I am still in a great deal of pain so I sit on a chair to meditate. How did I go to my first service you may ask? With gritted teeth and determination that I would go to the service. I knew it wouldn't kill me intellectually but as you well understand anxiety disorders don't work that way. It took about 4 weeks of services before I realized I'd calmed down a great deal. One thing I did was stay very quiet at first, just to get a feel for things. I'm just starting to talk to people after 3 months. I've found out a lot of people in my temple are on the shy side. Plus when I get nervous, I tend to become a bit of a smart aleck. Defense mechanism as we would say. I'm trying to learn to just listen to people and when I have something to add to the conversation that isn't a joke, I will speak up. So when you are ready, you can check out the temples/groups in your area.

Feel free to post whenever you want. None of us will think less of you whether you post or not. Just take your time and when you're ready you'll know it.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    There is a Jodo temple in my town (Pure Land) which, from what I can understand, deals mostly with reaching Nirvana with the help of an outside power = "The 18th vow of Dharmakara was interpreted to mean that one only need to recite Amitabha's name to attain rebirth"

I would like to try this temple in town - but I'm just not digging the fact that I have to chat Amitabha's name - and then this Buddha will take care of everything for me.

If you go to the Jodo temple, I would like to know what you thought of it.

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    Jerbear wrote:
    Hey Mr. Devious,
    I wrote out a long response and then realized I never signed in when I tried to send it. Luckily I'm a good typist.

So what is a Zen service like? I can only tell you about the temple I attend. When we first enter we bow once toward the altar. Then we walk in front of the altar and bow 3 times. Everyone gets on a cushion and pillow (or in the case of us who are disabled we sit in chairs) and the teacher comes in last. He sits on his cushion and pillow and says a few things and then we meditate for 20 minutes. Then we get up and say the Three Refuges in Pali and then in English and then sit down for another 20 minute meditation. After that meditation we have a short Dharma talk (sermon if you like) and then it's over. We all leave one by one bowing before the Budhha statue and then go have tea and conversation (which is totally voluntary).

Now, I am someone who has generalized anxiety disorder and depression. Going to my first service was tough. I originally just went to their meditation class. But the teacher seemed to be a genuinely nice guy. He has gone out of his way to make everyone feel comfortable. Maybe one day I will be able to sit on a cushion. I had back surgery last year and I am still in a great deal of pain so I sit on a chair to meditate. How did I go to my first service you may ask? With gritted teeth and determination that I would go to the service. I knew it wouldn't kill me intellectually but as you well understand anxiety disorders don't work that way. It took about 4 weeks of services before I realized I'd calmed down a great deal. One thing I did was stay very quiet at first, just to get a feel for things. I'm just starting to talk to people after 3 months. I've found out a lot of people in my temple are on the shy side. Plus when I get nervous, I tend to become a bit of a smart aleck. Defense mechanism as we would say. I'm trying to learn to just listen to people and when I have something to add to the conversation that isn't a joke, I will speak up. So when you are ready, you can check out the temples/groups in your area.

Feel free to post whenever you want. None of us will think less of you whether you post or not. Just take your time and when you're ready you'll know it.

wow jerbear, I didn't know we were really so much in the same boat. I react to social situations the same way, I tend to get a feeling of just wanting to get out of there as fast as I can, and without even realizing it at first, sometimes I'll be very rude and cold to people just to push them away, as you said, by a defense mechanism. I wonder how much accomodation they can offer though, becaus I also have back problems. actually, I have a lower back injury (from judo), an upper back injury (from Aikido), and a neck injury (from an overzealous chiropractor). I find the only possition I can meditate in is cross legged on my couch with a pilow behind my back. even with the back support, I have to keep my legs crossed or putting them flat on the floor is rather painfull. anyway, they congregate on sunday here, basically the same time as the churches, I'll try to get there next sunday. lol, though first I'll have to fix my sleep schedule and stop getting up at 10:30 in the morning.

btw, I've had that happen a few times myself, where I write out some big long message and lose it somehow, god I hate that!:banghead:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Gentlemen, could I just point out - if you hadn't realised it already - that there's nothing written in stone which states that you must meditate cross-legged, sitting on the floor or ramrod-straight backed!
    The important is to find a position which will not be so relaxing as to induce sleep, but not so 'conformist' that it's distracting to your Meditation....
    The phrase 'Middle Way' springs to mind.....! *LOL!!*
  • edited November 2005
    federica wrote:
    Gentlemen, could I just point out - if you hadn't realised it already - that there's nothing written in stone which states that you must meditate cross-legged, sitting on the floor or ramrod-straight backed!
    The important is to find a position which will not be so relaxing as to induce sleep, but not so 'conformist' that it's distracting to your Meditation....
    The phrase 'Middle Way' springs to mind.....! *LOL!!*

I'm fully aware of this already, but like I said, crosslegged with some back support is the only possition that doesnt' cause me pain. sitting on a chair with my legs on the floor is actually terrible on my back.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I use a bench. It's easy to sit straight and easy on the knees. (I tore my meniscus).

Meditation Benches: http://images.google.ca/images?q=meditation+bench
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Meniscus?

Mmmmm.... I love meniscus and gravy. Must be cuz my mom is from the South.

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Mr. Devious,
    If there is any way that you could contact them first, that might be helpful. Since I took a meditation class at my temple, I let the teacher know my physical limitations. I'm not even allowed to sit on a bench like Magwang mentioned, which I miss. A torn meniscus rules out kneeling. If they are worth their time, they will accomodate you. And I don't doubt that they will.

Now about the anxiety. This one was tough for me. I was a fundamentalist Christian with 10 pound bible in hand at all times for about a decade. I left them with a very bad taste in my mouth for anything religous. The idea of going into any religious service made me nauseous. I wanted to go to a temple service but it took months for me to build up my courage. I allowed myself to take my time and work up the courage first. Luckily, the teacher and I had something in common and we hit it off. A few of the people there are starting to remember my name since I've been going there a few months which makes it easier. I had to remember that it was going to take a while before people remembered my name and it was like "Where's Jerry?" if I wasn't there. So I feel a bit more at home now.

If you take any medication for anxiety that is prescribed by a doctor, make sure to take it that first morning. I did and was still a bit nervous. Some may disagree with me on this, but as one who has had problems with anxiety for about 20 years, I would lean on the side of caution. If you don't, you'll have to wing it. But just think, you get to meditate while you're there and it will help calm you. When you exhale, the carbon dioxide that is built up d/t excess anxiety is blown off. That is why we breathe quick during a panic attack. But you can control it.

Also, thanks for replying. I wasn't sure if you would or not, but I do appreciate it.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    As Christmas is coming, some nice person might like to give a meditation chair to those whose backs, knees, etc., can't stand the strain of a simple cushion:
    http://zenbydesign.com/newchair/chairs.html
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    As Christmas is coming, some nice person might like to give a meditation chair to those whose backs, knees, etc., can't stand the strain of a simple cushion:
    http://zenbydesign.com/newchair/chairs.html

I may have my partner look at that website as I miss using my seiza bench. That way I could give him an idea of what to get me for Xmas.
    edited November 2005
    Holy schmoly.... beautiful chairs, but as things stand, I could just about afford one of the end upholstery buttons.... think I may have to stick to my rolled-up blanket for now.....*deep and heavy sigh*.....:winkc:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    federica wrote:
    Holy schmoly.... beautiful chairs, but as things stand, I could just about afford one of the end upholstery buttons.... think I may have to stick to my rolled-up blanket for now.....*deep and heavy sigh*.....:winkc:

They are lovely, aren't they! And the price!!!!

They remind me of the story of the rich young lady who went into a religious goodies shop near Saint Sulpice to buy herself a rosary. She is shown some made of semi-precious stones - not good enough. The owner brings out dearer ones made of precious stones, pearls, etc. - still not good enough. Finally, the shopkeeper reverently brings out a stunning rosary made of the rarest and most precious woods, hand-crafted, the most expensive rosary available. "That's the one," screeches Marie Chantal. "Wood! Perfect! It looks so poor!"

On the topic of meditation benches, I went on a retreat, many years ago, where we made ourselves benches as part of the work. I still have mine and use it most days.