Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Trouble meditating

edited November 2010 in Meditation
My thoughts hurt me so much when I meditate that I can't help react to them. My phyisical anguish is so strong that I can't focus on my breathing.

I've tried more than 30 times with the same result.

I don't know what to do anymore.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    KEEP TRYIN
    like, how long you meditate for? the thoughts'll come and go , sometimes in heavier storms sometimes in lighter
    what kind of unbearable thoughts are they anyways??
    maybe don't focus on your breathing, not all zazen has to be about concentrating on the breath, you may use the thoughts themselves as object without indulging in them and just treating them as phenomena nothing inherently good or bad
  • edited November 2010
    What I suggest is, first of all- don't stop meditating. If you give up, you'll make no progrss. You need to be patient in your practise.
    How about dealing with these thoughts by contemplating impermanence? Or comntemplating on the emptiness of form? "(...) the meditator contemplates that all phenomena are essentailly empty- they have no self-nature, they do not aise, and they all are impermanent."

Namo Amituofo _/|\_
  • edited November 2010
    Focus the attention mainly to the breath and sensory experiences; in addition, note your emotional experiences.

Whenever a particular feeling comes up, mentally note it; as "liking", "dis-liking", "anger", "sad", "fear", "resentment", "anxiety", "guilt" etc. and let it go

Do not get involved with the emotions, only note them and return to awareness of the breath.

If not, control your thinking: Contemplate:
    Is it possible to develop myself, change and transform into someone I can admire?

Is there a potential in me for wisdom and compassion?

Do I want to use that potential?

"May I be free of anger, free of attachment, free of confusion, free of pride.
    May I be free of the problems that arise from such distortions of my mind.
    May I recognise and cultivate my potential of loving kindness, compassion, wisdom, patience and all other good qualities.

May these good qualities grow for my well-being and the well-being of others.
    May my fears, worries and sorrows fall away.
    May I find the joy of love and peace in my heart."

Feel this joy and peace right now.

Think this:
    "May all people, especially my enemies, discover and develop their potential for loving-kindness, compassion, patience and so forth.

May all people, especially my enemies be free from all the problems caused by their confusion.

May all people, especially my enemies find love and peace in their hearts."

Imagine they all experience love and peace right now.

Imagine a drop of brilliant white light at your heart; it is your pure nature

This light of purity and love fills your entire body.

Now open the heart and let the light emerge in all directions; sending out love and purity to all beings.

Imagine every being who is touched by it is purified of suffering and experiences love and peace.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Hello,

Can you mantain your attention in something outside meditation?,
    Are u on medication to anxiety-or simmilar?
  • edited November 2010
    sounds like a problem I was having. What I recommend is using by focusing on the breath one at a time, and watch the short "daily meditation by ajahn jayasaro" on you tube. on there, he talks about focusing on your breath like a doctor in a third world country with a line of patients stretching out the door in dire need of medical attention. the doctor takes care of the patients one at a time and focuses on each one individually with undivided attention. that's how you should focus on your breath and maybe you will get good results. It has helped me.
    peace.
  • edited November 2010
    Sign up for an intensive 10 or more day retreat .May I suggest Goenka .Sometimes we need a little support and patient and persistent,very diligent practice.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    NumberNine wrote: »
    My thoughts hurt me so much when I meditate that I can't help react to them. My phyisical anguish is so strong that I can't focus on my breathing.

you are trying too hard.
    I can feel the frustration.
    I can't help react to them
    this is fine, normal. so don't worry about it.
    Every time you realize that you have been carried away, just very gently refocus your attention on the breath.

Thats all you have to do.

Don't force yourself, don't fight anything. Just very gently refocus your attention on the breath every time you realize you were distracted.

Meditation will happen, don't even worry about it.

Try several 5 minutes sessions throughout the day, you will find the calm ness and peacefulness, then take it from there.
    Also perhaps try meditating with the eyes open. Just look at an object (meditating by focusing on the object, not the breath), a dot maybe, slightly lower than the center of your vision and see if it is easier for you.

hope this help! :)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Here's my internal monologue while I'm meditating: "Thoughts, thinking, back to breath." I repeat this whenever I notice thoughts arise or when I drift away from the present moment.

Don't try to suppress your thoughts, simply acknowledge them and bring your focus back. Do this as many times as necessary. Recognize that you are engrossed in thoughts. If it brings you anguish, acknowledge that feeling. "I am feeling anguish." Label it and let it go, bring your attention back to breathing. Breathe in, breathe out.

If you don't already, perhaps it would be beneficial to set your intention when you sit down to meditate. "I am going to meditate in order to train my mind and benefit all sentient beings." When you feel anguish, know that all beings suffer and feel anguish the same way that you do.
  • edited November 2010
    Exactly what I was about to say mugzy. Suppressing thoughts only make them stronger. Sometimes you have to face the thoughts head on. Rather than thinking "This thought makes me anxious" perhaps think "Why does this thought make me anxious?" One of the main points in meditation is to "tame this mind of ours". If you ignore an aspect of your psyche you're only going to let it fester.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Exactly what I was about to say mugzy. Suppressing thoughts only make them stronger. Sometimes you have to face the thoughts head on. Rather than thinking "This thought makes me anxious" perhaps think "Why does this thought make me anxious?" One of the main points in meditation is to "tame this mind of ours". If you ignore an aspect of your psyche you're only going to let it fester.
    I'm convinced that this is a very bad advices. Specially for a beginner.

The point of breath meditation for a beginner is to develop concentration, the ability to not get carried away by this or that and be able to maintain the attention effortlessly on one object.

Not work out any issues.

I'm not saying that I don't believe this inquiring process has no merit, just that it isn't breath meditation and I believe it would be a bad, progress deterring idea to try and implement this.

Many have heard the phrase "To meditate, do nothing." This is meditation.
    With breath meditation, it is the same, but since you have an object you must change the equation a bit.
    so for breath meditation, "Focus your attention on the object, and do nothing else".

respectfully

thank you
  • edited November 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    I'm convinced that this is a very bad advices. Specially for a beginner.

The point of breath meditation for a beginner is to develop concentration, the ability to not get carried away by this or that and be able to maintain the attention effortlessly on one object.

Not work out any issues.

I'm not saying that I don't believe this inquiring process has no merit, just that it isn't breath meditation and I believe it would be a bad, progress deterring idea to try and implement this.

Many have heard the phrase "To meditate, do nothing." This is meditation.
    With breath meditation, it is the same, but since you have an object you must change the equation a bit.
    so for breath meditation, "Focus your attention on the object, and do nothing else".

respectfully

thank you

Yeah, you're probably right that it isn't a good practice for someone getting started... However, being that their mental anguish is detrimental to their meditation, I'm not sure if zazen could be of much use to them? Granted, as they make progress in being able to "return focus" and eventually recognize the thoughts as simply thoughts without having attachment to the emotion that arises from said thoughts; without understanding the root cause of these emotions means to somewhat delude the mind and not allow oneself to truly overcome the anguish.

With all due respect.

Perhaps... Mindfulness practice would be best to begin with before beginning zazen? Practicing things like cleaning the house with total focus... Then as you become better at that, begin to practice zazen again.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    without understanding the root cause of these emotions means to somewhat delude the mind and not allow oneself to truly overcome the anguish.
    There is a path to all meditation techniques.

Breath meditation has it's own map.

just like Vipassa has the nanas

Insights will be realized and all issues will be resolved in due time.

But it will be far more difficult and frustrating if we try to jump ahead. Like trying to drive a race car on your first day of learning how to drive.
  • edited November 2010
    Hi;

I'm also relatively new to Buddhism (less than a year) and I can relate to some of your struggles. At first, I remember discomfort with meditation, particularly sensations that I found distracting. Surpressing thoughts can be just as hindering as dwelling on thoughts at a beginner stage. My personal advice is that you, first, find a comfortable setting and simply clear your mind. Concentration is the key and basic principle of meditation, and the goal is to have a clear state of mind with ultimate concentration. Of course, I am relatively new to mediation as well so you should take what I say with a grain of salt.
  • edited November 2010
    NumberNine wrote: »

I think we all have thoughts that would hurt us if we were unable to stop thinking about them. Attempting to meditate can help you develop the ability to control your mind and consentrate on what you WANT to concentrate on.
  • edited November 2010
    Hi NumberNine,

Sorry to hear you have having such a hard time.

I would keep at the meditation. With time and practice you will get over the difficulty you are experiencing.

Perhaps try to think of your meditation as a act of loving kindness toward yourself with no judgements.

When a thought comes up and it triggers your habitual pain reaction, recognize it is just a thought. It carries no more importance than your reaction gives it. Let it go without reaction and kindly and calmly return to the present and your object of concentration. You may be gone for a while in your delusion of suffering before you realize it. That's OK. Wake up, smile to yourself and return to the peaceful reality of your breath.
  • edited November 2010
    Hi NumberNine,

Try watching this Buddhist meditation series with a respected teacher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd7a9Ur2x0o

Kind wishes,

D.