Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

anatta

ravkesravkes Veteran
edited November 2010 in Philosophy
is this somewhat of a paradox?
the body's still here, it still does stuff, relies on logical thought to survive..
but where are 'you' in all of this?
and if you aren't here, what's the point of surviving?
i guess no one would need a point then cause no ones there? haha
you'd work from the universe and use the body just live to live and experience the mystery cause at that point it's just all absurd play even amidst boring schoolwork or a boring job or suffering or anything really eh? the drive is not one of survival but of play and creation and compassion?

enlighten me! :) haha

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    good point. that is why anatta is non-self rather than not self. The tibetan sometimes expresses this as two truths. A relative self that we experience and an ultimate empty self. This analysis is problematic in that we have to switch back and forth digitally between these realizations (apparently). Yet it can be an easy pill to swallow.
  • edited November 2010
    You may wish to explore Jungian psychology for a rounding out of anatta. Within Buddhism this teaching is often very difficult to understand, but it's present in many other schools of thought in an easier to digest way. It's simply not the case that the concept of 'self' is false. That we are 'selves' is (forgive the necessary pun) self evidently true. Rather we as humans tend to confuse a lot of the tiny parts of the self as being the self. This is where the teaching of 'not self' comes from. When we confuse our emotions or other impermanent, transitory states as self Buddhism reminds us that these transitory states, regardless of how powerful they may seem, are not us. There is, however, an 'us' or a 'self'. The self is much more inclusive and expansive than what we tend to confuse our self with.
  • edited November 2010
    username_5 wrote: »
    You may wish to explore Jungian psychology for a rounding out of anatta. Within Buddhism this teaching is often very difficult to understand, but it's present in many other schools of thought in an easier to digest way. It's simply not the case that the concept of 'self' is false. That we are 'selves' is (forgive the necessary pun) self evidently true. Rather we as humans tend to confuse a lot of the tiny parts of the self as being the self. This is where the teaching of 'not self' comes from. When we confuse our emotions or other impermanent, transitory states as self Buddhism reminds us that these transitory states, regardless of how powerful they may seem, are not us. There is, however, an 'us' or a 'self'. The self is much more inclusive and expansive than what we tend to confuse our self with.

I have to disagree with you here. The self is completely false in all but a conventional way. It really is just a thought of the form "I am this body" and all of the conceptual proliferation based on preserving this thought against a hostile, threatening Other. We have a delusion that this "self" is the same from moment to moment, but when one tries to find a locus for it, one can not find it.

However, that doesn't mean that one is left with an empty void when you lessen your obsession with this thought. On the contrary, life becomes spacious, blissful and peaceful without there being any seemingly separate entity there to perceive it. To understand anatma deeply requires considerable analytical meditation/investigation to find out whether there is anything that can be called a self within the mind/body and its causal factors.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited November 2010
    well said karma
    it seems as if life just is; it's neither impersonal nor personal..
    things just happen here, life is experiencing itself through the appearance of a body.
    anatta is mean't to be 'understood' intuitively and experientially, not through the understanding of any concept..

:)
  • edited November 2010
    Anatta or not-self is impersonal in that it means neither a person nor belonging to a person. It's without individual essence . Also, phenomena are impermanent and can't be owned or claimed to be "I", "me," or "mine".

We can understand anatta when thoughts of self eventually settle during meditation. It can also be understood through seeing the body as just being mental states, feelings and consciousness.

This is an interesting article by Bhikkhu Buddhasasa called Anatta and Rebirth.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books7/Buddhadasa_Bhikkhu_Anatta_and_Rebirth.pdf

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • edited November 2010
    Anatta by Venerable master Hsuan Hua

What is the Sea-Imprint Samadhi?
    excerpted from the Venerable master hua’s explanation of the flower adornment sutra
    english translated by theresa kung
    http://www.drbachinese.org/vbs/publish/433/vbs433p026.pdf
  • conradcookconradcook Veteran
    edited November 2010
    the body's still here, it still does stuff, relies on logical thought to survive..
    you'd work from the universe and use the body just live to live and experience the mystery cause at that point it's just all absurd play even amidst boring schoolwork or a boring job or suffering or anything really eh? the drive is not one of survival but of play and creation and compassion?

Does the United States of America exist? Can you point to it?

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited November 2010
    ravkes wrote: »

enlighten me! :) haha

Anataman has two aspects (there are also other terms for both of these but I think they come well under Anataman as a composite).

Emptiness, which is an inward expression of the view. That being there are no things in themselves, no essence of being, no objects no inherent values.

Interconnectedness, which is an outward expression of the view. That being that all phenomenon are interconnected existentially and causally. There are no boundaries of kind or type. Its all one.

Does that seem reasonable? Can you imagine anything that isn't empty and interconnected? Can you imagine one without the other?

Note that this is true of all things in all possible realities. When we apply it to experience the same principles apply, there is no ego, no others. We are all one (or none?), hard as that may be to stay mindful of.

namaste
  • edited November 2010
    conradcook wrote: »
    Does the United States of America exist? Can you point to it?

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
    OBAMAHOPEIMAGE_111393t.jpg&sa=X&ei=Li3sTJr7EYSmnAea46nUAQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc4GA&usg=AFQjCNEURVmfBaO7O7eSfMpRFmtN158fCg
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited November 2010
    karmadorje wrote: »
    The self is completely false in all but a conventional way.
    That's a bit of a sweeping statement, as for a concept to be false we must first adequately define the concept. For "self" their are many definitions, some are more false than others.

An eternal unchanging self, a soul, is false. There is no aspect of the human being that is unchanging and permanent.

However if we define self as "the unique point of perspective generated by the sense awareness of the human brain", then we have a concept that is undeniably true.
  • edited November 2010
    Chrysalid wrote: »
    However if we define self as "the unique point of perspective generated by the sense awareness of the human brain", then we have a concept that is undeniably true.

Complete illusion. Exactly the kind of self I am saying exists only conventionally. I am not intruding any such concepts as "human brain" or "sense awareness" into this as they merely add layers of conceptuality onto the root confusion "I am this body". I am not suggesting that you don't *believe* in this concept called self. I am saying that it is just one thought among many that we privilege and order our experience according to as long as we believe that this thought has an actual referent.
    edited November 2010
    Complete illusion. Exactly the kind of self I am saying exists only conventionally. I am not intruding any such concepts as "human brain" or "sense awareness" into this as they merely add layers of conceptuality onto the root confusion "I am this body". I am not suggesting that you don't *believe* in this concept called self. I am saying that it is just one thought among many that we privilege and order our experience according to as long as we believe that this thought has an actual referent.
    Karma, if what I said weren't true, we couldn't be having this conversation.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Karma, if what I said weren't true, we couldn't be having this conversation.
    who is it that is having the conversation?

In your way of seeing, would you consider two computers having a conversation to be two "self"?
    edited November 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    who is it that is having the conversation?
    Not who, what. Two unique perspectives. If my perspective weren't unique, I'd already know what karmadorje would say thus the conversation would be pointless.
    In your way of seeing, would you consider two computers having a conversation to be two "self"?
    Computers aren't conscious.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Not who, what. Two unique perspectives. If my perspective weren't unique, I'd already know what karmadorje would say thus the conversation would be pointless.
    how can "what" be self? ;)

Computers aren't conscious.
    but they are having a discussion, from two different perspective.
    According to your own logic, so far it would seem as if you would consider these two computers as self don't you agree?
  • edited November 2010

You mistake what I say. "Complete illusion" does not mean "completely non-existent". This conversation could occur in a dream. There would be no actual separate "selves" but mere appearances of them. As long as you believe that you are an ens, you will order your experience around it. However, I assure you that it is not necessary for a real self to exist in order for conversation to take place. This is why Buddha used all of the metaphors for illusion.
    edited November 2010
    how can "what" be self? ;)
    A "unique perspective" is a what, not a who. I am merely pointing out that it is when we define self as "who" that we run into problems, whereas using definitions of self as descriptions of phenomena does not.
    I have a unique perspective, as do you, that is undeniable. The mind and body doing the perceiving may be in flux, but no amount of meditation or enlightenment will allow you to transcend the confines of your unique point-of-view and enter another's.

You've no doubt read that the dichotomy between perceiver and perceived is false, that the perceived only exists in relation to the perceiver as a form and name within the perceivers mind. Yet the very fact that two people looking at the same object will perceive it in different ways, making three objects, is testament to the reality and inescapability of the unique perspective we each are bound to.
    but they are having a discussion, from two different perspective.
    According to your own logic, so far it would seem as if you would consider these two computers as self don't you agree?
    Computers don't have discussions and perspectives in the same sense as human beings do, but using your analogy loosely, yes their unique positions would make them distinct. In fact, I think it's the anti-virus software's ability to distinguish "self" from "other" that allows for successful intruder prevention.
    edited November 2010
    You mistake what I say. "Complete illusion" does not mean "completely non-existent". This conversation could occur in a dream. There would be no actual separate "selves" but mere appearances of them. As long as you believe that you are an ens, you will order your experience around it. However, I assure you that it is not necessary for a real self to exist in order for conversation to take place. This is why Buddha used all of the metaphors for illusion.
    That's where wisdom comes in, the ability to distinguish fantasy from reality. Yes, you could very well be a dream or a clever computer program, but experience tells me that you are not. Experience informs me that I am viewing this conversation from one perspective and that you, as another human being, are viewing it from a different perspective. That's what separates us, the uniqueness of our perspectives. We are not one, we are two, self and other.
    Tomorrow I won't be who I am now, and you won't be who you are now, but there will still be two conscious minds perceiving this conversation from distinct and unique perspectives.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    A "unique perspective" is a what, not a who. I am merely pointing out that it is when we define self as "who" that we run into problems, whereas using definitions of self as descriptions of phenomena does not.
    I have a unique perspective, as do you, that is undeniable. The mind and body doing the perceiving may be in flux, but no amount of meditation or enlightenment will allow you to transcend the confines of your unique point-of-view and enter another's.
    yes. so we all see in the same way then.

The conventional "self" is a "what", a "thing". To call it "self" seems to be misleading. Perhaps calling it a "unique perspective" seems to be appropriate indeed...
  • edited November 2010
    That's where wisdom comes in, the ability to distinguish fantasy from reality. Yes, you could very well be a dream or a clever computer program, but experience tells me that you are not. Experience informs me that I am viewing this conversation from one perspective and that you, as another human being, are viewing it from a different perspective. That's what separates us, the uniqueness of our perspectives. We are not one, we are two, self and other.
    Tomorrow I won't be who I am now, and you won't be who you are now, but there will still be two conscious minds perceiving this conversation from distinct and unique perspectives.

Tomorrow? How about from moment to moment. Sameness is just a concept, uniqueness just a concept. What you call uniqueness I call attachment to accumulating tendencies. I don't doubt that for you it seems very real. It is however, a grave error to confuse what you have become habituated to with the lived experience of your interlocutors. I find no such unique viewpoint, only a constantly unfolding, ever fresh, boundless field of awareness. I have no problem with speaking conventionally of an "I", but it doesn't match my lived experience. I have found no such entity.

What is wisdom in the buddhist context is non-dual buddhajnana. In the presence of it, all concepts like self and other evaporate. I have a feeling that you are arguing for realism and would likely agree that awareness is an epiphenomena of matter. I don't accept that premise. My experience is that matter is an epiphenomena of awareness.

The point of the dream metaphor was not to say that I am a dream, but merely to point out that within your present experience there are examples of the appearance of a multitude of unique viewpoints where in actually there was no multitude. The appearance is there, but the actuality is not. This is the same situation that I am pointing to in the waking state. I am not arguing with how things appear to you, I am saying that things appear that way because you are habituated to perceiving that way.
    edited November 2010
    America is in the salty eyes of a patriot [pic of Obama snipped]

Where does America go when the salty patriot closes his eyes?

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
    edited November 2010
    The point of the dream metaphor was not to say that I am a dream, but merely to point out that within your present experience there are examples of the appearance of a multitude of unique viewpoints where in actually there was no multitude. The appearance is there, but the actuality is not. This is the same situation that I am pointing to in the waking state. I am not arguing with how things appear to you, I am saying that things appear that way because you are habituated to perceiving that way.
    Karmadorje, lets conduct an experiment.

I'd like you to meditate by following my breath, tell me what you have experienced by following the flow of my breath for a few moments.
  • edited November 2010
    You are illustrating my point. What you call self is the mere habitual identification of awareness with certain appearances accumulated over beginningless time, not an entity. The same is true of all sentient beings.

Two waves, one washing ashore in Dover, another in Cape Cod are alike in being the same ocean. One does not make the category error of calling it the same wave. There is no essence that makes that wave what it is-- no wave-self. It is merely a label for a certain appearance.

The same is true of our sense of identity.
    edited November 2010
    You are illustrating my point.
    Am I? Then you can tell me what you have experienced after following my breath?
  • edited November 2010
    Am I? Then you can tell me what you have experienced after following my breath?

Right after you read the rest of my post.

What is labeled "Dorje" is a different set of attachments to accumulating tendencies to what is labeled "Chrysalid". The example is of two waves crashing ashore on different beaches. Same ocean, same water, different location.
    edited November 2010
    Right after you read the rest of my post.

What is labeled "Dorje" is a different set of attachments to accumulating tendencies to what is labeled "Chrysalid". The example is of two waves crashing ashore on different beaches.
    I read the whole post, but you're talking about two separate concepts, one which I agree with one which I do not. Answer my request and you'll see what I mean.
  • edited November 2010
    I am not talking about two separate concepts, I am talking about exactly the same thing. What you call "your unique perspective" is just attachment to certain cognitive events. There is no need for there to be a separate self for you to have that experience. Attachment alone suffices and creates all of the notion of solidity and certainty that is needed.

As one progresses in meditation, one sees how pervasive the tendency is towards what you could call centering-- the strong tendency to array experience around a central locus. With repeated samadhi, this tendency loosens to the point that it feels foolish to say "I am here in this body", or even "I am here as opposed to there". Experience becomes oceanic rather than self-other oriented. This does not mean that one experiences all of the particulars of other sentient beings efforts at solidifying, in the same way that one wave does not comprehend the entire ocean.
  • edited November 2010
    Firstly, the anicca (impermanence) doctrine means that ALL phenomena are impermanent; they are conditioned, relative, and interdependent; their arising, enduring, changing, and disappearing are taking place constantly and endlessly. Nothing in the world is absolute. This applies to ALL phenomena, including the Five Aggregates and the Self. They are not excluded. So, in terms of the anicca doctrine, the Self is not a permanent, everlasting, and absolute entity.

The anatta doctrine says the exact same thing about the Self, that is: the Self is not a permanent, everlasting, and absolute entity. It does not say that a Self does not exist (a nihilsm theory) or the Self does exist (eternalism theory). Maybe, the correct position is not to take hold of any opinions or views, but try to see that what we call "I", or "being", is just composed of the five aggregates, all of which are subject to the anicca doctrine.
  • edited November 2010
    Ajahn Sumeho mentions the 3 Characteristics - Anicca(impermanence), Dukkha(suffering, dissatisfaction) and Anatta (not-self) in the chapter "Listening to thought" here:

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/deathless.pdf

_/\_
  • edited November 2010
    There might no be a permanent self, but there is a sense of continuity. My body as an old man won't have the same properties throughout time, but it is relatively whole until it dies. It evolves influenced by external factors but subject to it's own rules too. A whole with interdependent parts.
    edited November 2010
    I am not talking about two separate concepts, I am talking about exactly the same thing. What you call "your unique perspective" is just attachment to certain cognitive events. There is no need for there to be a separate self for you to have that experience. Attachment alone suffices and creates all of the notion of solidity and certainty that is needed.

As one progresses in meditation, one sees how pervasive the tendency is towards what you could call centering-- the strong tendency to array experience around a central locus. With repeated samadhi, this tendency loosens to the point that it feels foolish to say "I am here in this body", or even "I am here as opposed to there". Experience becomes oceanic rather than self-other oriented. This does not mean that one experiences all of the particulars of other sentient beings efforts at solidifying, in the same way that one wave does not comprehend the entire ocean.
    Clearly you're not going to play my game, so I'll try to make my point regardless.

You can't follow my breath. The reason you can't follow my breath is because you haven't the ability to sense my breath. The reason you cannot sense my breath is because your senses aren't in proximity to my breathing. The reason your senses aren't in proximity to my breathing is because they are integral to your sense organs. The reason your sense organs aren't in proximity to my breathing is because they are limited to your physical body, which is located at a great distance in relation to my breathing. The reason you can't extend your senses to follow my breath regardless of distance is that you cannot dislocate your sense organs from your consciousness. The reason you cannot dislocate your sense organs from your consciousness is that your consciousness is confined to your physical body, your brain. Thus your awareness is limited to the immediate surroundings of your physical body.
    This limit is what I am referring to as your "unique perspective". No other mind shares your sense organs because no other mind shares your physical body. Every mind is confined to its own limit of sense awareness and so each mind can view the world only from its own unique perspective. This uniqueness, I conjecture, qualifies as selfdom.

What you're saying about experience becoming "oceanic rather than self-other orientated" is illusory. Your mind, your senses, are confined and limited, that is their nature. You may feel that you're experiencing the oneness of all things, but that is simply replacing one illusion, that of separate self, with another illusory state.
    Because here's the thing, the unique perspective isn't separate and distinct from the rest of reality, it's part of reality's fundamental nature. It's not even limited to conscious beings. Rocks, stars, atoms, they all relate to the universe via a unique perspective (though granted, they don't have sense awareness) and in doing so generate physical laws such as special relativity.

Now, where I agree with you is that as human beings, our sense of a continuous entity is false. We are accumulations of experience - processed, refined, altered, destroyed. We aren't one being existing over time, but innumerable temporary phenomena (which includes the unique perspective) linked via dependant origination.
    edited November 2010
    sukhita wrote: »
    Firstly, the anicca (impermanence) doctrine means that ALL phenomena are impermanent; they are conditioned, relative, and interdependent; their arising, enduring, changing, and disappearing are taking place constantly and endlessly. Nothing in the world is absolute. This applies to ALL phenomena, including the Five Aggregates and the Self. They are not excluded. So, in terms of the anicca doctrine, the Self is not a permanent, everlasting, and absolute entity.

The anatta doctrine says the exact same thing about the Self, that is: the Self is not a permanent, everlasting, and absolute entity. It does not say that a Self does not exist (a nihilsm theory) or the Self does exist (eternalism theory). Maybe, the correct position is not to take hold of any opinions or views, but try to see that what we call "I", or "being", is just composed of the five aggregates, all of which are subject to the anicca doctrine.
    I quite agree.

The point I was trying to make (and I've had to re-read the thread to figure out what that was) is that a concept like "self" is subject to more than one definition. The one Buddha debunked was anatman, the concept that at the heart of every human being is a core identity, a divine spark that exists eternally, unaffected by changes wrought on the physical body and mind.
    My "unique perspective" could qualify as an alternative concept of self, as the unique perspective of a human being (or a bee, tree or moon) is unique precisely because it exists no where else in the universe. If we wanted to explain what makes one person distinct from another, or from their environment, the only thing that really differs between them is the point of view from which they perceive the world. I'm not saying however that it is immune from impermanence.
  • edited November 2010
    I'd like to add that this non-self business....it's obvious to anyone the minute we understood atoms.

"I" is inherently an abstract concept. But that does not mean it doesn't exist. Waves exists just like seas and oceans do.
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I was going to say that point-of-view fails to equate to self because point of view constantly changes, while self retains some kind of continuity. Two people can trade places. Now they each have the point-of-view that the other had, or one very much like it, and yet we do not experience them to have come anything close to have "switched selves."

Certainly point of view is an important part of the form of a self.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
    edited November 2010
    Firstly, the anicca (impermanence) doctrine means that ALL phenomena are impermanent; they are conditioned, relative, and interdependent; their arising, enduring, changing, and disappearing are taking place constantly and endlessly.

I agree. I think it also contains in itself the reason why they are impermanent.
    Nothing in the world is absolute.

I am not sure this is true or that it relates to Anicca. What do you mean?

The anatta doctrine says the exact same thing about the Self, that is: the Self is not a permanent, everlasting, and absolute entity.

I think this is not quite right. Annataman is about all things, not just the idea of a self. Moreover it's realising the composite nature of all things, emptiness and interconnectedness.
    It does not say that a Self does not exist (a nihilsm theory) or the Self does exist (eternalism theory).

I think it is pretty clear that if Anataman is true then there is no self or ego.

Just thoughts

namaste
  • edited November 2010
    @ThickPaper

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Nothing in the world is absolute. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    I am not sure this is true or that it relates to Anicca. What do you mean?

I meant nothing is totally unconditioned, unrestricted, pure, perfect, or complete. I don't know if "emptiness" is absolute, though?

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>The anatta doctrine says the exact same thing about the Self, that is: the Self is not a permanent, everlasting, and absolute entity. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    I think this is not quite right. Annataman is about all things, not just the idea of a self. Moreover it's realising the composite nature of all things, emptiness and interconnectedness.

I thought "anicca" doctrine is about ALL things and the "anatta" doctrine was more specifically about the Self. But, I could be wrong here...

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>It does not say that a Self does not exist (a nihilsm theory) or the Self does exist (eternalism theory). </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    I think it is pretty clear that if Anataman is true then there is no self or ego.
    I think a Self (ego) exists as a conventional truth, otherwise we won't be able to function in this world; but, in terms of ultimate truth, it would perhaps be correct to say "there is no Self".

I'm pretty much a beginner in Buddhism; so I have a long way to go yet to gain adequate confidence in complex teachings such as anatman/anatta doctrine. Thanks for your input. :)

Metta,
    S
    edited November 2010
    Hi
    I meant nothing is totally unconditioned, unrestricted, pure, perfect, or complete.

Hmmm, I think numbers and logical operators might be. But thats pernikitty

I don't know if "emptiness" is absolute, though?

I think it absolutly is absolute, I think the buddha did to.

I thought "anicca" doctrine is about ALL things and the "anatta" doctrine was more specifically about the Self. But, I could be wrong here...

No, the marks of existence are about all things that might exist. You can think this out for yourself, it is indubitable.
    I'm pretty much a beginner in Buddhism; so I have a long way to go yet to gain adequate confidence in complex teachings such as anatman/anatta doctrine. Thanks for your input.

Nooooo way, you do yourself disservice.... these are not hard to grasp. They are utterly simple concepts. They are not even deep, in the way that interdependent causation is.

The part I found hard was to make sense of Dukka being a mark of existence rather than mere experience.

namaste
  • edited November 2010
    thickpaper wrote: »

No, the marks of existence are about all things that might exist. You can think this out for yourself, it is indubitable.
    Agreed... that's the bigger picture.
    The part I found hard was to make sense of Dukka being a mark of existence rather than mere experience.
    I found this quite 'tricky' too, until I began seeing all three marks as one interconnected unit. If I separate them and view them in isolation, I kinda see dukkha as a possible result of impermanence/no self and not so much as itself being a mark of existence.

Your input is appreciated.
    With metta,
    S
    edited November 2010
    I found this quite 'tricky' too, until I began seeing all three marks as one interconnected unit.[/qoute]

I think so too. But they only become connected when you add causation into the mix. This is the lowest level at which DO manifests, methinks.
    If I separate them and view them in isolation, I kinda see dukkha as a possible result of impermanence/no self and not so much as itself being a mark of existence.

OK. I see what yuou are saying, but I think still the problem remains because unlike anataman and annica, which apply the same to all things as much as all experience, Dukka seems to be different between all things and all experiences.

Namely, in ontologically Dukka is foundational but in terms of experience it is evaluative. (Aninca and Anataaman are foundational with regards to both ontology and experiences)

I think the reason for this comes from the intuitive truth that existence has more value than non existence.

Then perhaps we can express foundational Dukka as:

If all things that can change must change (annica) and if all changes are connected (anataman) then all changes are changes towards nonexistance.

I never really got the notion that "Birth is dukka," but on this understanding it seems to maybe make sense, perhaps :hrm: :)

namaste
  • edited November 2010
    You can't follow my breath. The reason you can't follow my breath is because you haven't the ability to sense my breath. The reason you cannot sense my breath is because your senses aren't in proximity to my breathing. The reason your senses aren't in proximity to my breathing is because they are integral to your sense organs. The reason your sense organs aren't in proximity to my breathing is because they are limited to your physical body, which is located at a great distance in relation to my breathing. The reason you can't extend your senses to follow my breath regardless of distance is that you cannot dislocate your sense organs from your consciousness. The reason you cannot dislocate your sense organs from your consciousness is that your consciousness is confined to your physical body, your brain. Thus your awareness is limited to the immediate surroundings of your physical body.

Please point out to me where Lord Buddha spoke about the physical body and the brain as being the containers of consciousness. I have looked through the teachings on pratityasamutpada in some detail and I can't find this concept anywhere. Instead we find that ignorance (avidya) came first and all of the body formulations came after. How do we account for this if we are going to posit the body as foundational for consciousness?
    This limit is what I am referring to as your "unique perspective". No other mind shares your sense organs because no other mind shares your physical body. Every mind is confined to its own limit of sense awareness and so each mind can view the world only from its own unique perspective. This uniqueness, I conjecture, qualifies as selfdom.

An interesting theory, but not only counter to my experience but I can't find a single Buddhist teaching that posits the same thing. What you call "unique perspective" I call "grasping at a self" or "attachment".
    What you're saying about experience becoming "oceanic rather than self-other orientated" is illusory. Your mind, your senses, are confined and limited, that is their nature. You may feel that you're experiencing the oneness of all things, but that is simply replacing one illusion, that of separate self, with another illusory state.

There's that "you" again doing the experiencing and the a priori assumptions about its limits. If you have practiced vipashyana and investigated them in depth, I am quite sure I won't be able to shake them lose. However, I am not talking about some illusory state. I am saying that there is a non-conceptual wisdom that underlies all of these prapanca of limitations. That wisdom is self-illuminating and not confined in any way. It can only be spoken of metaphorically. You can accept it or not, as you wish. However, I can point to countless sources in the Prajnaparamita and Tathagathagarbha corpus that corroborates what I am saying.
    Because here's the thing, the unique perspective isn't separate and distinct from the rest of reality, it's part of reality's fundamental nature. It's not even limited to conscious beings. Rocks, stars, atoms, they all relate to the universe via a unique perspective (though granted, they don't have sense awareness) and in doing so generate physical laws such as special relativity.

If you want to create a hybrid model using current scientific speculation as the basis and adding buddhism where it fits into your understanding of science please don't let me dissuade you. However, you might start out with some real discipline in any one of the domains you have spoken of, be it cognitive psychology or quantum physics. Both have at their limits, be it in accounting for mystical experience or non-locality respectively, begun to look a lot more like the Buddhist view. Armchair psychology and physics is about as useful as armchair Buddhism.
    Now, where I agree with you is that as human beings, our sense of a continuous entity is false. We are accumulations of experience - processed, refined, altered, destroyed. We aren't one being existing over time, but innumerable temporary phenomena (which includes the unique perspective) linked via dependant origination.

Again, I would suggest that you go to the source texts of dependent origination (pratityasamutpada) to find whether there is support for your view of consciouness and how it arises. I don't deny that you feel that unique persective is self-evidently true. However, it is as clearly self-evidently untrue to me after having practiced the path for some years and gained experience of the precepts I have been given. Hence, I am asking you for what teachings of Dharma you are basing your postulates on.

Kind regards,

Karma Dorje
  • edited November 2010
    P.S. I am not accusing you of being a dilettante when I talk about armchair psychology and physics. These disciplines are so fast moving now that unless you are doing graduate work in them or employed using them as several of my friends are, it is hard to stay on top of the latest developments. I am not saying that my friends agree with me in all respects-- they don't. However, the conversation is much more free-flowing than you might suspect! :-)
    edited November 2010
    Please point out to me where Lord Buddha spoke about the physical body and the brain as being the containers of consciousness. I have looked through the teachings on pratityasamutpada in some detail and I can't find this concept anywhere. Instead we find that ignorance (avidya) came first and all of the body formulations came after. How do we account for this if we are going to posit the body as foundational for consciousness?
    Clearly we're coming at this from different angles, from different beliefs and ways of looking at the world. Are you of the opinion/belief that the ultimate objective nature of reality is mind?
    edited November 2010
    An interesting theory... but I can't find a single Buddhist teaching that posits the same thing.

If something is not in the texts that does not mean it should be rejected as Dharma
    However, I can point to countless sources in the Prajnaparamita and Tathagathagarbha corpus that corroborates what I am saying.

If something is in the texts that does not mean it should be accepted as Dharma.

Go not by what is written or what is taught, what is seen or what is thought...
    Armchair psychology and physics is about as useful as armchair Buddhism.

This is not the case. Obviously when it comes to physics and a lesser degree psychology the armchair is not much of an arena.

Dharma can be found, seen and taught from the comfort of an armchair or the shade of a Bodhi tree.
    the source texts of dependent origination (pratityasamutpada

Do you mean the 12 Niddanias or interdependent causation here?

The niddanias area very troublesome construction, when you take them off their alter. Interdependent causation, on the other hand, is where its all at;)

namaste
  • edited November 2010
    Clearly we're coming at this from different angles, from different beliefs and ways of looking at the world. Are you of the opinion/belief that the ultimate objective nature of reality is mind?

Depending on what you call mind, yes. I pointed this out earlier in the thread when I noted that I view matter as an epiphenomena of awareness and that perhaps you might be viewing awareness as an epiphenomena of matter.
  • edited November 2010
    If something is not in the texts that does not mean it should be rejected as Dharma

No not merely for not being in the texts. However, it should accord with what is in the text.
    If something is in the texts that does not mean it should be accepted as Dharma.

Go not by what is written or what is taught, what is seen or what is thought...

Actually yes, if it is in the source texts it is by definition "Dharma". Not following you there. That is not to say that it should be left there. You need to apply it in your own practice.
    This is not the case. Obviously when it comes to physics and a lesser degree psychology the armchair is not much of an arena.

Dharma can be found, seen and taught from the comfort of an armchair or the shade of a Bodhi tree.

What this is to say is that amateur speculation is often based on assumptions which are not current in the field under discussion, NOT a comment on the furniture in use.

The niddanias area very troublesome construction, when you take them off their alter. Interdependent causation, on the other hand, is where its all at;)

I'll have two of whatever you are smoking. The twelve nidanas are the links of interdenpendent origination.
    edited November 2010
    Depending on what you call mind, yes. I pointed this out earlier in the thread when I noted that I view matter as an epiphenomena of awareness and that perhaps you might be viewing awareness as an epiphenomena of matter.
    So you did. We're not going to agree on this subject methinks.
    edited November 2010
    No not merely for not being in the texts. However, it should accord with what is in the text.

I disagree, everything should be available for rejection if it does not match with what we ourselves know we know.

"...don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought...
    "

Actually yes, if it is in the source texts it is by definition "Dharma". Not following you there.

Dharma was discovered by the Buddha. it is a set of universal truths and practices that were around before the Buddha, at every point in the universe.

It is not what is written in those ancient texts, which refer to an even earlier time.
    What this is to say is that amateur speculation...

I think you have said enough on that, let me guess, you are or know some "Pro-Buddhists?":)
    I'll have two of whatever you are smoking. The twelve nidanas are the links of interdenpendent origination.

I disagree. I think the 12 Nids are a later attempt to systematize karmnic cycles. I don't imagine the Buddha would have taught them

Also, please can you try to speak with nobility. Accusing me of must having being on drugs because my ideas do not conform with your orthodoxies is impolite, and it looks bad upon you.

namaste
  • edited November 2010
    I disagree, everything should be available for rejection if it does not match with what we ourselves know we know.

"...don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought...
    "

The point of the Kalama Sutta, which you quote without attributing, was for the followers of the Buddha to test his words rather than merely accept them because of legends, traditions, etc. They were certainly not an admonition for one to pick and choose from the Dharma based on one's own presuppositions.
    Dharma was discovered by the Buddha. it is a set of universal truths and practices that were around before the Buddha, at every point in the universe.

It is not what is written in those ancient texts, which refer to an even earlier time.

I think you will find you are in a distinct minority if you are saying that the teachings contained in the dharma texts are not themselves the universal truths and practices of which you speak. Most of Buddhist traditions depend on "buddhavacana" the words of the Buddha as being an authoritative means of knowledge, hence they accept the Tripitika as being what the Buddha said.
    I disagree. I think the 12 Nids are a later attempt to systematize karmnic cycles. I don't imagine the Buddha would have taught them

How much have you actually read of the source texts? Vishuddhimagga? Samyutta Nikaya? The twelve nidanas are accepted by all Buddhist traditions.
    Also, please can you try to speak with nobility. Accusing me of must having being on drugs because my ideas do not conform with your orthodoxies is impolite, and it looks bad upon you.

I am not accusing you of being on drugs because your ideas don't conform with mine. I am just trying to account for the wonderfully incoherent statement:

The niddanias area very troublesome construction, when you take them off their alter. Interdependent causation, on the other hand, is where its all at

What on earth is a "niddania" and what are you refering to as "interdependent causation"? How can you put a nidannia, whatever it is, on an altar?

I appreciate your concern for how my words reflect on me, but I will take coherence over nobility any day of the week.
    edited November 2010
    The point of the Kalama Sutta, which you quote without attributing, was for the followers of the Buddha to test his words rather than merely accept them because of legends, traditions, etc.

I disagree. The KS to my mind is probably the most important of the texts, a genius statement of a perfect epistemic principle.

Naturally, that is not the kind of principle one wants if one wants to be an orthodoxy.

Yet again speak negatively with you "without attributing." This is the advanced forum, we all should know where that quote is from. And to those who don't I would hope they can find it very easily.

But to appease your cynciism, next time I will attribute the quote.
    They were certainly not an admonition for one to pick and choose from the Dharma based on one's own presuppositions.

We agree. They are very much not about picking and choosing Dharma.

I think you will find you are in a distinct minority if you are saying that the teachings contained in the dharma texts are not themselves the universal truths and practices of which you speak.

I am in a distinct minority on many of my views about Dharma. I aodre the suttras, they hold countless truths and expositions of Dharma and the life of the Buddha. But to me, essentially they are ledgends about the man who discovered dharma.

Most of Buddhist traditions depend on "buddhavacana" the words of the Buddha as being an authoritative means of knowledge, hence they accept the Tripitika as being what the Buddha said.

To my mind this is wrong view and against the KS guidance.

How much have you actually read of the source texts?

It doesn't matter to you if I have read all ten thousand suttras in the cannon or just the kalama suttra and "Buddhism for Dummies". All that is relevant here is what is said about what is talked about, not the "Professional Qualifications" that you seem to hold so paramount.
    The twelve nidanas are accepted by all Buddhist traditions.

As is literal rebirth and gender difference, it doesn't make it right view or what the buddha taught.
    How can you put a nidannia, whatever it is, on an altar?

Clearly the 12 links that so often get construed as being what DO is rather than a fabricated model that spuriously (I believe) exhibits the interdependence causation.

As for the "alter", they are highly placed even though they are poorly understood. As said, I don't think the Buddha taught them and I dont think they belong besides the eightfold path, the noble truths or the marks of existence.
    I appreciate your concern for how my words reflect on me, but I will take coherence over nobility any day of the week.

You should be able to do with without being ignoble... point out my incoherence please.
  • edited November 2010
    I disagree. The KS to my mind is probably the most important of the texts, a genius statement of a perfect epistemic principle.

Naturally, that is not the kind of principle one wants if one wants to be an orthodoxy.

So your point is that anyone who hold what you call "orthodox" is wrong? You then neglect the voluminous epistemological writing of the various buddhist traditions in favour of a simplistic "Doubt everything" principle.
    Yet again speak negatively with you "without attributing." This is the advanced forum, we all should know where that quote is from. And to those who don't I would hope they can find it very easily.

So the onus is on your reader to find where you are quoting from rather than spending the extra five seconds to attribute? Lord knows why advanced students in the Academy bother to cite. Their audience should know how to search for what they quote. Pointing out that you are quoting without sourcing your quote is not negative, it is factual.
    But to appease your cynciism, next time I will attribute the quote.

Oh please don't change on my account, particularly if you hold me to be a cynic. As you build your argument, do what feels right.
    I am in a distinct minority on many of my views about Dharma. I aodre the suttras, they hold countless truths and expositions of Dharma and the life of the Buddha. But to me, essentially they are ledgends about the man who discovered dharma.

So instead of looking to the substance of the arguments, you would rather just dismiss them as legends? That's a curious approach. Surely KS advises that one weighs each idea and put it to the test in one's own meditation.
    To my mind this is wrong view and against the KS guidance.

Well, as you are an expert on the KS and have not read Dignaga, Dharmakirti et al on the foundations of Mahayana buddhist epistemology it's not clear how you are making such a judgement aside from talking off the top of your head.

It doesn't matter to you if I have read all ten thousand suttras in the cannon or just the kalama suttra and "Buddhism for Dummies". All that is relevant here is what is said about what is talked about, not the "Professional Qualifications" that you seem to hold so paramount.

On the contrary, what is important is the teachings of Dharma and how much you have applied them in your own practice. If you have not tested them in the laboratory of your own mind and merely dismiss them because they don't agree with your cherished notions, I believe you have missed the intent of the Kalama Sutta.

I am surprised that I need to point out that dismissing a point of view without actually reading it and understanding it is just foolishness.

You also confuse what I spoke of earlier. I was speaking of understanding of the disciplines of cognitive psychology and quantum physics, both of which move so quickly that it is nearly impossible to stay on top of developments in them without being engaged in an academic setting or in daily praxis. It is not impossible but they are not conducive to significant home study. It is not a question of credentials, it is a question of engagement.
    As is literal rebirth and gender difference, it doesn't make it right view or what the buddha taught.

So provide your evidence that what he taught is something different. Such speculation without evidence is of little point in a forum with opposing viewpoints. Lay your principles and evidence on the table.
    Clearly the 12 links that so often get construed as being what DO is rather than a fabricated model that spuriously (I believe) exhibits the interdependence causation.

OK. Thank you for sharing again. Now please explain how it is spurious.
    As for the "alter", they are highly placed even though they are poorly understood. As said, I don't think the Buddha taught them and I dont think they belong besides the eightfold path, the noble truths or the marks of existence.

Again, you state your claim without evidence. What evidence do you have that the Buddha did not teach the twelve nidanas as all extant buddhist traditions believe?
    You should be able to do with without being ignoble... point out my incoherence please.

We should be able to converse without checking our sense of humour at the door. Please don't take the "thick" part of your monicker so literally.