Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Charity

edited December 2010 in General Banter
The gift giving season is coming up and I was wondering what charities you care about.

A personal favorite of mine is Child's Play.

For more information: http://www.childsplaycharity.org/about.php

So, what charities do you care about?

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I am a bit of a nerd, so this year most of my charity money went towards open source software and fighting Australia's internet filter.

I liked lost dog's home for a while, until they found out they had something like 70% kill rate.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2010
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2010
    We give our local street people lunch.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2010
    That's nice, Simon, thanks..
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2010
    That's nice, Simon, thanks..

Our attempt to think globally and acting locally. And it's a really fun time. I'm hoping to dress up as Father Christmas this year.
  • edited November 2010
    That sounds like fun! Thanks for the responses. :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Feed the Children, even though they annoy me by sending me stuff in the mail, like a thing that looks like you're getting something but it ends up being a solicitation. I'll feed the children when I got the money, stop bugging me already. :)
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I try to spread mine from year to year, although not having worked for the last half of the year due to school, my giving is cut way back this year. I like the Seva Foundation, since they do a lot of good work in Buddhist countries like Bhutan and Nepal, but I also give to animal charities and others when I can.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Usually the Salvation Army for us. This year I'm donating my car to the National Kidney Foundation.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I like the Heifer Project ("This simple idea of giving families a source of food rather than short-term relief caught on and has continued for over 65 years. Today, millions of families in 128 countries have been given the gifts of self-reliance and hope.") and Médecins Sans Frontière/Doctors without Borders.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The gift giving season is coming up and I was wondering what charities you care about.

A personal favorite of mine is Child's Play.

For more information: http://www.childsplaycharity.org/about.php

So, what charities do you care about?

I like Child's Play a lot. I'm really glad the Penny Arcade guys thought of this. As someone who spent a lot of my childhood in the hospital I know how much such things can mean to a sick and scared child.