Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Korea conflict?

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Today
I keep hearing how the Korea conflict poses major risk for U.S, but also how it is not a conflict and does not pose a risk at all.

What do my fellows think about the Korea Conflict?

What could we do for people in North or South Korea?

Comments

• MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Superpowers can pledge to stop fighting proxy wars in the countries of others.
  • queristquerist Explorer
    edited November 2010
    I've spent enough time in China to be fairly certain that the Chinese do NOT want a war of any sort. They certainly don't want North Korea to start something like this from what I understand.

This is posturing in preparation for a regime change in North Korea. Kim Jong-il is dying and will not be able to hang in there much longer, so he's trying to set the stage for his youngest son to take over. Since this is a despotic government, this is just so much grandstanding on the part of North Korea to stir things up to give the son something to do. I doubt even Kim Jong-il is so deluded as to think he would stand a chance in a real war. South Korea could turn South Korea into an island. China could turn South Korea into an island. The USA could do it with just what nukes are in the Pacific Fleet.

Kim Jong-il is delusional at best, and he is trying to save face before he kicks off and comes back as a diabetic gerbil.
  • finding0finding0 Veteran
    edited November 2010
    A good doc, on n korea and understanding how .... well i dont know the word they are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQXfMMHV8FM
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Both sides are equally guilty of sabre-rattling, IMO. But, since the US, Japan, and ROK are in an alliance and are vastly more wealthy, I think there is a greater responsibility for them to just back off from the DPRK.

I mean, the DPRK told the US/ROK to stop practicing military maneuvers near the "disputer border" or else. They didn't listen so...

I'm not trying to justify the actions of the DPRK, but I'm just saying that painting the DPRK as some "evil regime bent on taking over the world" is naive and irresponsible. I would hazard to even make any assumptions of knowledge about the DPRK since hardly any good info comes out from there.

If we are just to rely on the media that is coming from ROK/US, then obviously it is going to paint its non-allies (read: enemies) as evil or at fault.

I do hope that both sides calm down and find a reasonable solution to all this. Innocent people don't need to die because of their governments.
    edited November 2010
    I need to stop using facebook so much, I went to like your comment:lol:
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited November 2010
    You have me on FB??
  • edited November 2010
    All we can do is hope for the best...

What happens when two rams want the same mate?
    edited November 2010
    You have me on FB??

hahaha no. I was referring to what you said about the conflict. I went to go like it it and then I realized this wasn't facebook
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2010
    That is such a beautiful country, and I made some good friends while I was there. What was strangest to me was walking around the countryside and thinking about how only thirty or so years before that, the entire peninsula had been decimated in a war. Now, there was no sign that any destruction had ever taken place.

Then I visited one of the many Buddhist temples, and there was a big sign filled with dates and an English translation for tourists. This temple and most of the other ancient temples had been burnt to the ground by invading armies about a half dozen times over the past thousand years of so, alternately by the Chinese and Japanese. Each time, rebuilt.

And in the history of Korea, it was divided into Kingdoms before and each one fought for control. It seems this little strip of mountains and fishing villages is destined to be a battlefield for world powers.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The news makes me so sad, I'm so sorry for the people that died, and I really hope it does not escalate.. If it does, it has potential for a larger war. Let us all pray for peace in this world and after.
    edited November 2010
    What could we do for people in North or South Korea?

Thankyou for your sensitive soul ..

I used to imagine that if I could practice well, that would help. Because there is a chain of .. harm in our human world. People inflict harm on each other all the time, and I have been guilty of this too... The Dharma has the potential (potential only) to truly transform people, transform the Heart/Mind in miraculous ways...but it is not always the easiest path. So I thought that and I followed it for many years..even when it was hard. So one way is to practice, at least that way I could be surer that what I would do came less from harm and delusion ...

The shorter anwer is we can pray, and we can also stay informed and see what we can do in our own neighbourhoods and families that can help peace and non-harm as and if we are able to .

Blessings,
    Abu
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2010
    For those of us of a certain age, the news that there is firing across the DMZ brings a cold shudder and harrowing memories.

Despite all these years of armistice, there has never been a peace between the two parts of Korea and now there are nuclear weapons on both sides. Not very reassuring.

I can't imagine that the US-UK axis wants to go back in - and lose again. We can do without further, updated, episodes of M*A*S*H.
    edited November 2010
    And yet would we watch S.Korea being butchered? Or just from a cold strategic perspective, would the US and UK risk a major build up of strength in the Pacific if N.Korea overpowered and won..

When we can do nothing else we can still pray. Best wishes to all and may all people be safe and unharmed, as we would all like to be. _/\_
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    querist wrote: »
    I've spent enough time in China to be fairly certain that the Chinese do NOT want a war of any sort. They certainly don't want North Korea to start something like this from what I understand.

This is posturing in preparation for a regime change in North Korea. Kim Jong-il is dying and will not be able to hang in there much longer, so he's trying to set the stage for his youngest son to take over. Since this is a despotic government, this is just so much grandstanding on the part of North Korea to stir things up to give the son something to do. I doubt even Kim Jong-il is so deluded as to think he would stand a chance in a real war. South Korea could turn South Korea into an island. China could turn South Korea into an island. The USA could do it with just what nukes are in the Pacific Fleet.

Kim Jong-il is delusional at best, and he is trying to save face before he kicks off and comes back as a diabetic gerbil.
    this.

N-Korea trying to manipulate it's own population opinion by rising the tension with s-Korea in order to scare them (n-korean population) and hope to reduce the risk of a coup, during transitional times while the leader change...

Hopefully this whole North Korean drama will end smoothly with the new leadership... And if he is as crazy as his father, hopefully a coup will happen, be successful, and the new leaders will end this era peacefully.
    edited November 2010
    And yet would we watch S.Korea being butchered? Or just from a cold strategic perspective, would the US and UK risk a major build up of strength in the Pacific if N.Korea overpowered and won..

So it's okay for Western powers to bully other people, but when an "evil" nation does it, they need to be stopped?

And I highly doubt that the DPRK will just "butcher" the ROK needlessly. It would result in their own destruction and that doesn't seem like it's in their best interest.

On another note, I tutor ESL to primarily S Korean uni students and they all seem to just want both sides to chill out. There didn't seem to be any animosity towards the DPRK as much as fear for their families. It's a kind of "both govts are dumb and playing chess with everyone's lives" thing.

It makes me warm inside to see such cynicism.
    edited November 2010
    So it's okay for Western powers to bully other people, but when an "evil" nation does it, they need to be stopped?

Interesting how words are construed around here. Oh well.
  • conradcookconradcook Veteran
    edited November 2010
    N-Korea trying to manipulate it's own population opinion by rising the tension with s-Korea in order to scare them (n-korean population) and hope to reduce the risk of a coup, during transitional times while the leader change...

Yes, this is my understanding. Specifically, if the present North Korean government can bring their nation right up to the brink of wartime hostilities with South Korea and her allies, then other contenders for the leadership won't dare to try seizing power (and if they do would lack backers).

Therefore you also have them recently revealing a technologically sophisticated nuclear facility to a US scientist. This is to discourage South Korea and the US from thinking they can just drop a nuke or two and move in. The goal is for North Korea to bring themselves to the brink of war, so as to keep their own upper echelon busy during the transition, but not to enter into war.

In my opinion, it's unlikely that the US would be willing to enter into war under these circumstances. We're already fighting two wars, which have been going on for a decade. We have great resources, but to get embroiled in a third war would stretch our military even thinner, and cause political trouble for our leaders. To be candid, a third war would almost certainly require the draft.

And, North Korea doesn't have oil...

Nevertheless, this is a very dangerous situation. Circumstances can force nations into actions that are disadvantageous to everyone.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    conradcook wrote: »
    In my opinion, it's unlikely that the US would be willing to enter into war under these circumstances. We're already fighting two wars, which have been going on for a decade. We have great resources, but to get embroiled in a third war would stretch our military even thinner, and cause political trouble for our leaders. To be candid, a third war would almost certainly require the draft.

And, North Korea doesn't have oil...
    indeed, but the biggest deterrent for the USA is certainly the fact that China doesn't approve of them meddling with N-Korea.
    They are not happy already about the USA sending airplane carriers...

USA is not in a position to be messing around with the most powerful country in the world.

And nobody else want to have to mess with China either, China being a huge chunk of so many countries economy... So the USA would be very lonely.

And Obama isn't insane like Cheney... So he should maintain excellent relashionship with China and we'll avoid any significant tensions.

But i don't think China will do anything crazy, just let N-Korea do it's thing until they start to go a bit too far, then they will make N-Korea withdraw.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I find it sad. When I talk too my Conservative friends. They all said that US and the ROK should have retaliated harshly. If an American died. American should start bombing like crazy. Since they believe if 1,000 civilians have to die to save one American life. So be it.
  • conradcookconradcook Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Yes, it's true that China's interests in the region conflict with ours. But China and the USA have grown to trust each other, not implicitly, but very deeply. The depth is a consequence of having our hands in each others' pockets...

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • edited December 2010
    Another example of states behaving like individual human beings when it comes to conflict resolution and threats to personal gains....
  • The North Korean regime is just proof how wars never resolve things and how you'll never have a war that'll end all wars. They're in the middle of an odd, 50 year old ceasefire that could break out at any time. I wish the US and USSR just didn't get involved and allowed national self determinism over the region, but they did, and we've inherited the consequences. I think the US should stay involved in South Korea for protection, now that they have a democratic system as opposed to the initial, military junta. The N. Korean situation is really dangerous. The leadership is like an absolute monarchy, and the people are the feudal serfs that have to unquestionably obey their Great Leader. I really don't want that to spread to the South. They're the ones that are most at danger.