Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Applied Mindfulness

edited November 2010 in Buddhism Basics
(Warning - anatomical terminology below)

An interesting experiment in applied mindfulness today:

I have had a bout with kidney stones recently. Today I had a complete exam by a urologist that involved running a 1/4" ? optical scope through my urethra for a look around my bladder. This was entirely a judicious precaution to avert early cancer.

The experience was not terribly painful, but it was a totally intense body invasion, very unpleasant.

I have learned something from practice! I mindfully went to my breath, and a moment later attended to the sensations with all possible awareness. After it was over, I looked up to see the Dr by my side, asking "are you OK?" I told him I had been attending to the experience of his work and it was all OK. He smiled and said, "Very good!"

Comments

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I wish you could give classes to many of my patients :)
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Very well put. Mindfulness skillfully applied is a beautiful thing.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    congrats ;)

I use to hate the dentist. It was a very tense moment for me. Probably didn't help that i had braces when i was a kid.

Nowadays, I actually look forward to go to the dentist. I almost always fall asleep on the dentist chair and leave relax and refreshed :)