Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist-Themed Movies

What are some good Buddhism themed movies?
By theme I dont necessarily mean it's a Buddhist setting (but that too!)
But that it coinsides with Buddhist teaching/worldview.

Obviously the Matrix is a good one.
Some others I'd name are :
Fight Club
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring..
Groundhog Day
Scarface (I think there is something to learn from it :p)

Comments

• LostieLostie Veteran
    edited November 2010
    LOST.

Well not exactly a movie, but worth a try if u keen.

From a Lostie ;)
  • edited November 2010
    Zen Noir is one that I liked. I thought Milarepa was very good...waiting on the sequel, though. There's always Kundun. I enjoyed Little Buddha.

Most of what I've seen that was Buddhist in nature were documentaries. I can't think of too many other non-documentary Buddhist or Buddhist-themed movies that I've seen.

Well, actually, now that I think about it...

Do I dare mention The Glimmer Man? :hiding:
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited November 2010
  • edited November 2010
    Seven Years in Tibet.
  • edited November 2010
    I have always thought that the Harry Potter Movies had a lot of Buddist themes.
  • edited November 2010
    Here is a great Dr WHO Buddist Moment

YouTube - Doctor Who - A Man Who Never Would
  • edited November 2010
    Hi, It is very important to learn the teachings of the Buddha through films. I created a music video and posted it on youtube. I am an artist and a photographer. Take time to view: www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_s7ZeMy5NE&feature=related

Thats sweet man, I'm into photography too, props on the good work!
  • edited November 2010
    Star Wars of course. What are Jedi if not buddhists.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The Fountain
  • edited November 2010
    The Cup
  • finding0finding0 Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The lion king
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Dumb and dumber, obviously.
  • edited November 2010
    Kundun, Asoka, Buddha's Lost Children.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2010

:lol:
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Shallow Hal, I'd say. :)

Also by the Farrelly Brothers.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Artemis wrote: »
    Seven Years in Tibet.

Good movie. Interestingly enough, I work with the sister of Lhakpa Tsamchoe, the lady who plays Pema Lhaki. Last I heard, she was finishing a three-year retreat. I also work with a guy who was in the movie himself. He's a short guy playing a traditional Tibetan instrument on the side of the road in one of the scenes.
  • edited November 2010
    I liked that movie too. Reminds me of Kundun.
  • edited November 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    Good movie. Interestingly enough, I work with the sister of Lhakpa Tsamchoe, the lady who plays Pema Lhaki. Last I heard, she was finishing a three-year retreat. I also work with a guy who was in the movie himself. He's a short guy playing a traditional Tibetan instrument on the side of the road in one of the scenes.

Wow, small world!

I only saw it once, years and years ago..the only scene I remember clearly now is one with the climber Harrer and the young Dalai Lama, pretending to be all formal and proper while the other monks were around, and switching back to a more casual familiarity as soon as they'd left. ^_^ Very fortunate for them both that they met each other.
    edited November 2010
    Wow, small world!

Yeah, Oregon has surprisingly large Tibetan population.
  • edited November 2010
    Oregon is where one of my buddies goes for his retreats... Forget the name of the center though...
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Avatar the last airbender is a must see if you're into animation. Very Tibetan Buddhist influenced show.

Vagabond the manga by Inoue Takehiko is also very rich with Buddhist influence. A few of the main characters are Buddhist monks.
  • edited November 2010
    the Kung Fu TV series. . . everything done by Kwai Chang Caine is zen buddhism...if you want to see every part of daily life of pure buddhism, and how it is truly lived, watch the entire series. Soooo much to it...they had great practitioners guiding the show.
    "How is that you can see the grasshopper, old blind man?"
    "How is that you cannot, young man?" http://www.amazon.com/Kung-Fu-Complete-First-Season/dp/B00013F38K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290950959&sr=8-1
  • edited November 2010
    "Travelers and Magicians".
    "The Tibetan Book of the Dead", narrated by Leonard Cohen
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Seven Years in Tibet.

I love that film.

Not sure if you could call it Buddhist really, since it's about a hired killer, but Ghost Dog: the Way of the Samurai. I find the title character to be rather Zen/Buddhist in many ways (though he's never identified as such), and the film has nice little morsels taken from the book Hagakure throughout, many of which I find to contain much wisdom (such as the one in my signature).
  • "Milarepa"
    "The Knowledge of Healing" (about Tibetan herbal medicine)
    I second the vote for "Lion King" :)
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    The Movie 2012 has a great scene that displays the Zen Koan "A Cup of Tea" taught by a Lama Rinpoche to a young monk.
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The Lion King is Hamlet. But Disney's stand on non-violence does portray it with a little more Buddhist mentality. "Hakuna Mattata!" And of course the concepts of the circle fo life.
  • Dersu Uzala, about a Siberian Native guide working for Russian surveyors in the 18th or 19th century. Very Buddhistic.
  • "What the Bleep Do We Know?" More of a humorous, documentary style presentation on Quantum physics. They mention Dr. Masaru Emoto's study of emotional energy on water. They talk about the chemicals the brain produces in response to stimulation/emotions. And much more.

"The House of Sand and Fog" was an excellent movie - the characters struggle with pretense, addiction, life altering changes, attachment. I don't want to give too much away.

"Crash" I think this came out in 2004- excellent story about cause and effect and how people's lives touch others.

"Pay it Forward"- a young boy tries to make the world a better place.

oh what the heck- "Grand Torino" Clint Eastwood was fantastic- Walt Kowalski is one of my heroes. It's a clash of cultures. Walt is alienated from his family and angry at the world. Then he develops a relationship with his Hmong neighbors.

• LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    The Karate Kid series.
  • "I(heart)Huckabees"
  • "The Lovely Bones"; not in that there's an afterlife, but that life goes on, and what part we played still affects others when we're gone.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Is there any on youtube?
    A good Youtube Channel?
    edited January 2011
  • anyone seen tron? it included an exceptionally bad portrayal of a buddhist as the main characters father. the movie set out to defeat the apparent buddhist ideal of never doing anything and just sitting around all the time, withdrawing from life etc...
    i got a little angry watching it, i kept thinking wow, this is what some people think buddhism really is ..
  • Here are some movies not Buddhist per se but somewhat reminiscent of the Buddhist worldview, in my opinion (and only in my opinion :) :

3-Iron (Korean)
    Mother (Korean)
    Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring (Korean)
    Departures (Japanese)
    Red Beard (Japanese)
    Cleopatra (Argentinian)
    Common Ground (Argentinian)
    Valentin (Argentinian)
    House of Sand (Brazilian)
    Diving Bell and the Butterfly (French)
    The Return (Russian)
    House of Fools (Russian)
    Ivan's Childhood (Russian)
    The Cuckoo (Russian)
    Papillon
    Pieces of April
    Forest Gump
    The Last Station
    Barry Lyndon
    Crash
    Kung-foo, the series (I'm actually serious :) )

...there's really quite a bit of good stuff out there but nothing else comes to mind right now. A movie may not mention the word "Buddha" per se but may start you thinking in a way that gets you there.

• PS. I second "Gran Torino". The "I've got light" ending is brilliant.
  • PS. I second "Gran Torino". The "I've got light" ending is brilliant.
    :thumbup:

I don't know if this would qualify as a Buddhist themed movie.

"The World's Fastest Indian" was based on a true story. Burt Munro traveled from his home in New Zealand to followed his dream of perfecting his motorcycle and racing it at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah. The pursuit of his desire led him to interact with many people and challenges in a way that was inspirational. A truly enjoyable movie.
  • I don't just watch movies for entertainment- I also look for the Buddhist like concepts that appear in the film.

"Doubt"- Fr. Flynn- gave a sermon explaining that doubt, like faith, can be a unifying force. The movie then went on to show how suspicion, speculation, and gossip can affect people's lives. Very well done!
  • Sister Act Two - Back in the Habit.
  • I guess I'm dating myself, but the best Zen movie made was "Circle of Iron" cowritten by Bruce Lee but he died before he could star in it. Instead, David Carradine filled the role.

I was working my way through college one summer as a projectionist at a drive in movie. I saw this thing dozens of times. I hated it when martial arts marathons were going, because kids always tore up the bathroom kicking things. Sinks busted and stall doors tore off. But it's a trippy Zen movie written by actual Eastern folks.

From Wiki:
    A martial artist rebel named Cord (played by Jeff Cooper) embarks on a quest for the Book of Enlightenment, which is kept by the mysterious Zetan (played by Christopher Lee). He must pass various trials along the way that educate him in Zen philosophy. Among the characters that he runs across are a blind flute-player, a monkey chieftain, a death character, and the leader of a gypsy tribe (all played by David Carradine). The blind flute player becomes a reluctant mentor to Cord.

Some trials involve combat, while others involve riddles or encounters with unusual characters, such as a man (Eli Wallach) who has been sitting in a barrel of oil for 10 years in an attempt to remove the lower half of his body so he is no longer distracted by his genitals. Cord successfully passes all trials and is able to view the Book of Enlightenment. He discovers that each page in the book is a mirror, showing him that the secret to enlightenment and all knowledge is already within himself. He then returns to the outside world, presumably to become a mentor for later seekers.

• I would love some sci-fi movie of a group of scientists making time travel to
    talk with the buddha :)
  • "Forrest Gump".
    MaryAnneMindfull
  • Check out "Atlantic City"
  • circle of iron. (written by bruce lee?)also called the silent flute i believe. haven't seen it yet but intend to.heres a link....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078975/plotsummary

and just found out its free on google video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-172252482711916925#
  • I must admit, inception was pretty good. Many Buddhist themes. It gets the average Joe to question the nature of reality.
  • sorry that suggestion was already posted
  • _Milarepa: Magician, Murderer, Saint_ is on netflix, it's pretty good and fairly accurate.
  • The Civilization of Maxwell Bright... powerful!

-- Tina, New Member
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Ha! I just posted a movie on the history of Bodhidharma, the paternal father of the Zen (Chan) Buddhism in China. This movie is a Chinese movie with subtitles, about an Indian monk who not only brought Zen, but also brought the Martial Arts to China...

Along the way, a lot of really cool stuff happens to Bodidharma, such as: he "walks on water" by skipping across a river on the leaves of a stalk of reed, he meditates in a cave without moving or eating for several years, he catches on fire but magiclly survives due to his awesomeness, he kicks a lot of ass, and he lives to be 150 years old. Oh and he also resurects from the dead at the end. AND, he teaches people some Buddhist stuff and takes on students to continue the educational lineage of his "wild, wall-gazing, butt-kicking, heart-changing, thought-bending, vegetable-eating" Zen.

If you don't mind subtitles, you will like this movie. It's got everything. And below is the thread that I posted it in. Comment if you watch it! (it's in 7 parts)

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/16195/bodhidharmas-beard-is-sweet#latest