Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I achieved enlightement and lost it.

edited November 2010 in Philosophy
Any questions?

Comments

• mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Nope.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    if you lost it it wasn't enlightenment ;)

imo you experienced a bliss state probably.

care to elaborate?
  • edited November 2010
    There's no way to convict someone that i was enlighted.

Even i'm not certain right now that i was enlighted, i just base on memories from this state, and i remember that i had no doubts about that back then.
  • edited November 2010
    What was your stance or perspective on your family and friends while enlightened?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Yeah me too
  • edited November 2010
    I can describe my state, but it's exactly what was written in osho's book, "Ego" in chapter "enlightement" - even thougt there are things that i disagree with osho and i don't think he was trully enlighted, but this one chapter seems to fit my experience nearly perfectly.

How i felt towards my family and friends? I felt love, but not bigger than to any other part of nature. It's important, that this love towards nature - was simply mirror of my inner love to myself.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited November 2010
  • edited November 2010
    That's great. One of main reasons i came there, was to tell something like this:
    "I'm using the term I because theres no other way to express this in English on a forum. When you look to a Sangha you look away from enlightenment because you look away from the inherent truth of the true self. There is no Zen Teacher because Zen cannot be taught. It can only be realized.
    "
    My experience was similar to his, but his attitude doesn't seems right. Once i was enlighted i didn't made any judges, i wouldn't probably even tell anyone that i'm enlighted, and that enlighted cannot be taught. What's kind of odd right now, i don't even think i was able to laught.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    True enlightenment is like learning.
    You can't 'un-learn' it.

Trust me - you think you were enlightened?
    you weren't.
    it's a non-reversible state.

It's like a lobotomy, removing all illusion and attachment.
    You can't reverse a lobotomy.
    you can't reverse enlightenment.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited November 2010
    federica wrote: »
    It's like a lobotomy, removing all illusion and attachment.
    You can't reverse a lobotomy.

Mmm, delicious brains...

hanniballecter.jpg

(Sorry for being OT, Hannibal Lecter is my favorite fictional villain) :ot:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Yeah me too. I want to play enlightnement too. Who wants to be enlightened and who wants to be deluded? Its a fun game kind of like cowboys and indians. I will be giving my teachings next tuesday but I may have to reschedule should I turn into pure energy.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    I will be giving my teachings next tuesday but I may have to reschedule should I turn into pure energy.

Oops! I just saw you float past my window... I'll get the vacuum to suck you back in :D
  • edited November 2010
    Maybe i haven't achieved final stage of enlightement, but it was something more than just "insight" or whatever you call this.
  • finding0finding0 Veteran
    edited November 2010
    This is a confusion i quite frequently experience. While im meditating I usually experience everything and nothing. I see no start no end. I see nothing matters and all just is. i see I am eternal. When I come out of the meditation all thought Is quite. I just sit with my eyes half opened in a lotus position and a small peaceful smile. Mudras come so naturally. When people try to talk to me I will always get a giant smile and respond with hand gestures or a very brief but clear responce. I can just sit there for hours smiling to my self for no reason. its just bliss. But I always come back down to the thought infested mind eventually. Sometimes i get the thought was i enlightened. Would one even know if they are enlightened? I then think about that monk who set him self aflame and peacefuly sat there all the way through it. And I think to my self would I be able to do that and not freak out. No hahahaha. But if you are feeling things like above i think it just means your making good progress :)
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited November 2010
    proxy333 wrote: »
    Any questions?

Dont think you had it at all then.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Maybe i haven't achieved final stage of enlightement, but it was something more than just "insight" or whatever you call this.

I hate to burst your bubble, but this isn't rare. And neither is it enlightenment.
    I'd colloquially term it more as an 'ahaah!' moment.

We have all, to some extent, experienced it, in one way or another.
    The big caveat is to not latch onto it as deeply significant, important or mind-stoppingly final.
    it's just an experience.
    Learn from it, absorb its lesson, realise what it has taught you, apply it - and move on.
  • edited November 2010
    the fact that you read something about what enlightenment is like, you probably fixed your experience to feel that way without knowing it.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I can describe my state, but it's exactly what was written in osho's book, "Ego" in chapter "enlightement" - even thougt there are things that i disagree with osho and i don't think he was trully enlighted, but this one chapter seems to fit my experience nearly perfectly.

How i felt towards my family and friends? I felt love, but not bigger than to any other part of nature. It's important, that this love towards nature - was simply mirror of my inner love to myself.

Hello:

My advice: You are doing things in reverse.

If u want to master some topic, dont start by reading what the last controversial author said about it. U start from the bottom.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Maybe you woke up and fell back asleep.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    How do you get it back?
  • edited November 2010
    Possibly, as it is not full enlightenment. This form of enlightenment has to preserve through meditativeness until it achieves full enlightenment.

Sentient beings are like many bubbles in a huge Bubble, where huge bubble is the enlightened one. Individual bubble has its experiences and knowledges, and its varies in every bubbles. Huge bubble in a samadhi nature awares that all bubbles are huge bubble whereas small bubbles normally discriminate and attach towards one another experiences and knowledges, and even against the huge bubble. Once a bubble is burst, it regained back the identity of huge bubble and Chan-love all bubbles naturally and unconditionally. When a small bubble openly claimed enlightened, the next moment, small bubble has to justify its proclamation by leaving the pseudo-physical form to enter enlightenment in the present of those who knew his proclamation, so that formal record is registered on the genuity of enlightenment, to benefit all future seekers and practitioners. Otherwise, proclamation of enlightenment beings without justification is contempt of dharma. :cool:
  • edited November 2010
    Well it's not like we know the Buddha truly achieved enlightenment either.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Epicurus wrote: »
    Well it's not like we know the Buddha truly achieved enlightenment either.

Well, that's a pretty major belief in Buddhism. We may not "know" for sure, but we can judge for ourselves by the depth of his teachings and decide whether they were given by an enlightened being or not.
  • edited November 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    Well, that's a pretty major belief in Buddhism. We may not "know" for sure, but we can judge for ourselves by the depth of his teachings and decide whether they were given by an enlightened being or not.

Or several people. And years of verbal communication and writing and rewriting.

Well, I know. My stance is that when you question everything...it doesn't matter who said it as long as it makes sense.
  • edited November 2010
    Any questions?

No questions. You need a teacher. No teacher, no enlightenment.
  • edited November 2010
    I can describe my state, but it's exactly what was written in osho's book...

Learning Buddhism from Osho's books... hmmm...:confused:
  • edited November 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    Oops! I just saw you float past my window... I'll get the vacuum to suck you back in :D

Hehe... I wants me some of that stuff you're on...
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Technical point, there are no knowable requirements for enlightenment to occur. Life is sometimes enough by itself, sometimes the Buddha's teachings in textual form or other self-study is enough, and sometimes (probably the majority) a teacher is needed. Effort in all cases where there is a goal, though of course sometimes that you're even on the path is unknown until awakening occurs. Very rare though.

In this instance, I agree a teacher would be most helpful to stay on-track and not come to incorrect conclusions.
  • edited November 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    Maybe you woke up and fell back asleep.

Yes! Because we are constantly asleep, when we wake up for brief moments, it all seems so amazing! But enlightenment? Not yet, grasshopper...
  • edited November 2010
    That's funny thing what some of you say.

I didn't knew anything about enlightement before i achieved it, neither about eastern philosophy. I never meditated (and that's actually true even for now, not only before enlightement); atleast not in the way you understand meditation.

Teachers cannot bring you neither closer or farther from enlightement.
    Path to enlihtement cannot be shown, because you are unable to understand it unless you follow it.
    The only way anyone could help you achieve it, is by loving and trully accepting you; someone trully enlighted never would told you to be openminded, mindful, or whatever. You would never heard any kind of advice, you would just feel his acceptance and love to whatever you feel or want to do.

But from what i read my words are meaningless, your faith in what you believe is so strong that it seems impossible to argue with.

One may ask why teachings cannot bring you farther from enlightement;
    Path to the truth runs trought lies. Being free from illusions doesn't comes from rejecting them, but from trully accepting them. Only fully accepted illusion can fade away.

This is also good time to explain what meditation is; it is not state of clear mind; it is simply state of thinking about what you really want to think, without forcing or evading particular thoughts; ultimately meditation will be state of clear mind, but as i sais before it doesn't comes from trying to make it clear, it comes from allowing it not to be clear. Now knowing that it's easy to seek clear mind by allowing it not to be clear, but it's just forcing yourself to do something you don't want to in order to achieve something. Having clear mind or being enlighted is not the purpose, it's not something to seek for; it's just final effect.
  • edited November 2010
    Also, funny thing i just remembered. When i was enlighted, i knew that i'm going to lost it, and it was probably only thing that was tearing my inside and my enlightement apart - the only thing i couldn't accept, and this was the reason of losing it.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Excellent troll, proxy:)
    edited November 2010
    Also, funny thing i just remembered. When i was enlighted, i knew that i'm going to lost it, and it was probably only thing that was tearing my inside and my enlightement apart - the only thing i couldn't accept, and this was the reason of losing it.

Oh....
    Shush now.
    I think that's quite enough.
This discussion has been closed.