Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Headache and head-pressure after meditating

edited November 2010 in Meditation
Hi,
After I meditate I get a headache and head pressure where my head feels full, and I get warmth up my spine, and I feel expansiveness. I want to grow spiritually but I'm reluctant to keep meditating because of these after effects.
Should I keep meditating?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    What position do you adopt?
    Are you aware of any tension in your neck/shoulders/back?

maybe you need to re-think your stance.....

Headaches can be a sign of poor circulation, or erratic, irregular and incorrect breathing.....
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    federica wrote: »
    What position do you adopt?
    Are you aware of any tension in your neck/shoulders/back?

maybe you need to re-think your stance.....

Headaches can be a sign of poor circulation, or erratic, irregular and incorrect breathing.....
    indeed, or even perhaps concentrating too hard as opposed to gently re-focussing your attention?

what kind of meditation do you do? for how long? etc...?

it can be so many things, difficult to help without more info.
  • edited November 2010
    I do simple breath meditation where I focus on my breathing and I breathe naturally through my nose and focus on my nostrils as I inhale and exhale. I do it only for 5 minutes a day.
    I sit in a chair with my feet on the floor or in a chair crosslegged.
    I keep my back straight.

I have severe anxiety, some depression and I'm a shallow breather. When I do this meditation and I put the focus on my breathing I do sometimes breathe irrregularly, or erratically.
    Yes, I'm sure there is tension in my neck, shoulders and back, I always have tension there when I'm not meditating, so I think it would be there while I'm meditating as well.
  • edited November 2010
    try focusing on the pain. who is really feeling the pain? is it you? or is it just your body that is feeling it. don't label the pain as pain. when you give it a negative meaning than you will perceive it as negative. really its just a sensation that you are perceiving as bad(cold water is cold but run your hand through scolding hot water also can feel cold). So don't attach to the negative notions just see that it is there.
  • edited November 2010
    I went through a time of headaches during and after meditation. Turned out I was squinting and tensing the muscles in my face and neck. When I let go of tension in the face/neck area, the headaches went away.

Hoo
  • edited November 2010
    If the meditation posture is relax and firm, and the above discomforting effects developed, it is normally hindrances from your past bad karmic. You should continue your simple breath meditation technique to overcome it (focus on your breath & relaxation), Gradually, you will find progress. Dedicate your merit cultivated to karmic debtors and living beings of ten quarters. If there is monastery, you should participate group meditation and seeking guidance is also easier and proper :cool:
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I'm with federica and others who suggested it may be posture or tension.
  • edited November 2010
    Sometimes poor posture can result in some symptoms. So, try reajusting or sitting in a chair. That might help

However , If you continue to not feel well exspecialy headaches you should see a Doctor.

It is always better to be safe
  • edited November 2010
    Hi Shana,

Maybe you should investigate doing some gentle relaxation exercises before your meditation session? Perhaps even a Tai Chi class ?

I agree that tension and posture might be a problem. I also agree with Donna that you should see a doctor if headaches continue.

Its always a good idea to attend an offline Buddhist meditation class if possible, because then you can get feedback and advice from the meditation teacher.

With kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • edited November 2010
    Thank you all for the responses.
    I read that meditation can be dangerous for someone who is mentally ill so I'm going to stop meditating until I can talk to my psychiatrist.
  • edited November 2010
    I dont think that basic breath control meditation would be of danger and might help in relaxing you a bit.

However, there is nothing at all wrong with the use of both modern medicine and or psychiactiric treatments and meditation practice. I can tell you that, for myself both western medicine and very traditional Tibetian Buddhist meditation have combined to vastly inprove my life.

Please be sure to take care of all aspects of your health in an equal way.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited November 2010
    try metta meditation, you wont get headaches hopefully
  • edited November 2010
    Yes, I take a medication for anxiety and I'm withdrawing off of another anxiety med now, which could be why I don't feel good.
  • edited November 2010
    Actually, I would have to agree with newtech on this one. Focusing on the breath as it enters and leaves the nostrils can cause headaches when the meditator clings too much on the breath sensation rather than noticing each breath and letting go.

So, in this case, I would change my meditation type. I would have recommended insight meditation but probably not for someone with a mental illness without speaking with their medical professional.

The only other meditations that are not likely to cause any problems and can be practiced at any time are the Brahmaviharas. And Metta (one of the four Brahmaviharas) is an absolutely beautiful meditation that can also be used to enter jhana just as effectively as mindfulness of breath meditation. And the added beauty of metta meditation is that it doesn't just need to be 5 minutes on the mat - you can practice equal love for all beings every waking moment of your life.
  • edited November 2010
    "Focusing on the breath as it enters and leaves the nostrils can cause headaches when the meditator clings too much on the breath sensation rather than noticing each breath and letting go."

Yes, I think this is what I'm doing. When I focus on the breath during meditation I always start to control the breath, and breathe erratically, shallowly, etc., and I have trouble breathing naturally and not controlling the breath.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2010
    This happens to me, too. How long do you sit for? Try breaking the session up with light exercise. Eight pieces of brocade works well.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Shana2712 wrote: »
    Yes, I think this is what I'm doing. When I focus on the breath during meditation I always start to control the breath, and breathe erratically, shallowly, etc., and I have trouble breathing naturally and not controlling the breath.
    I was gonna say, there's your problem. Your brain isn't getting a constant level of oxygen, instead it's getting an erratic supply, sometimes lots sometimes little. Just think of when you hold your breath, or breathe really fast or deeply, you get light headed and headaches. Same thing.
  • edited November 2010
    I only meditate for 5 minutes a day.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Do you also experience this sensation in your head at other times?
  • edited November 2010
    No, I normally never get headaches. I used to feel pressure in my head, like it's full, but I hadn't felt this in a while, not until I started the breath meditations.

Vangelis- how to I learn about the 4 Brahmaviharas? I read about them online, but don't I have to be with Buddhists in a sangha to learn about them?
  • edited November 2010
    Shana2712 wrote: »
    Vangelis- how to I learn about the 4 Brahmaviharas? I read about them online, but don't I have to be with Buddhists in a sangha to learn about them?

Hi Shana, reading about the 4 Brahmaviharas is good enough to get started, however, practicing the development of them is another thing. Thankfully with the internet these days, we can download guided meditations. One of the greatest exponents of metta meditation in Australia is a monk called Venerable Mahinda. I have been fortunate enough to have been to a number of his meditation retreats. You can download his guided meditation here: http://www.justbegood.net/Downloads/Other%20talks/Metta%20Meditation.mp3. I haven't heard it but if it's not metta meditation just google it and you will find his guided metta meditation for download. But I think this should be the right one anyway.

Also, don't just do it when you are sitting down. Radiate to metta or just send good thoughts to all beings in all situations. Even if you are in traffic being annoyed by another driver, just send him/her some metta. Even if you see an "ugly" slug on the ground, send it some metta also. All beings. all the time.

All the best,

Vangelis
    :)
  • edited November 2010
    Thank You for the link! I'll try that metta meditation.
  • edited November 2010
    In addition to metta meditation. While sitting meditation, you can incorporate Om Mani Padme Hum or Namo Amitabha in your breathing meditation.