Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

favourite recipes - meat Content

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited April 2006 in General Banter
Authentic Bolognese sauce:

In Bologna, in Italy, this is not called 'Bolognese' or Bolonaise, as it is sometimes referred to... This is simply referred to as a Ragù (or ragout, as the french say) In both cases, pronounced 'Ra-Goo'.... and if you over-cook it, that just about sums it up....!

For Four people, you need:
500g/1lb of good fine lean minced (or ground, for our Friends ATP) beef. if possible, select the best beef you can afford, and get the butcher to mince it for you....
1 small carrot
2 small sticks of celery
1 good white onion
2 - 3 cloves of garlic
a 2" lump of smoked streaky bacon, or a generous handful of streaky bacon bits....
Good quality olive oil
5 good plump fresh plum tomatoes, or a tin of them....
1TBSP tomato purée
1 cup of milk.

Finely chop the onion, celery and carrot, and fry in a good solid pan, in about two tbsps of olive oil, until the vegetables become translucent....
Add the bacon pieces, and fry until they begin to brown.
Add the minced meat, and stir gently to break it up, bit don't make it mushy.....
When the meat is nicely browned, (about 5 minutes with the lid on, over a medium flame) stir it again and then add the cup of milk.
If using fresh tomatoes, chop roughly but finely. If using tinned tomatoes, whoosh them briefly in a blender.
Add to the meat and vegetables, together with the finely chopped garlic and tomato puree.
You shouldn't need to add any extra liquid at all.
The mixture will look like an horrific pinky-beige mess. This is normal.
Put the pan on a back burner (if you have a heat diffuser, use it. This is going to be simmering for a while, so a heat distributor would be perfect. If you don't have one, rush out and buy one at the earliest opportunity. They're so useful!) Adjust the heat so that the ragù simmers lightly, and stir occasionally. Allow to cook covered, but with the lid slightly propped open, for around two hours or so.
Don't be afraid to season this really well, but allow a minute or two between salting and tasting. This allows the salt to dissolve and permeate the sauce really well. Don't use too much pepper.
Serve with a good shaped pasta (like large shells or penne) as these hold the sauce better than spaghetti.
All you then need is a good red wine, or a really cold beer, chunks of bread, good company and a hot balmy evening on the terrace.

Buon Appetito!

Comments

• edited November 2005
    Ok Fed, Here's one of my families favorites:
    Indian Fry Bread
    ga-do di-gv-tsa-la-nv-hi a-yv-wi-ya

3 cups flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup warm water
    Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add warm water in small amounts and knead dough until soft but not sticky. Adjust flour or water as needed. Cover bowl and let stand about 15 minutes.
    Pull off large egg-sized balls of dough and roll out into fairly thin rounds. Fry rounds in hot oil until bubbles appear on the dough, turn over and fry on the other side until golden.

Serve hot. Try brushing on honey, or making into an Indian Taco by adding a chicken Verde or just top with your favorite Veggies..

Buttermilk Fry Bread
    Substitute buttermilk for water. Follow the same recipe.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    .....Ok.... as this is the 'MEAT' thread..... what's a chicken verde....?:o
  • edited November 2005
    Chicken verde:

2 cups cooked shredded Chicken
    3-4 Roasted Green Chilies Diced and peeled
    1 tomato diced
    1/2 cup of water.

Put all the ingredients in a fry pan over low heat., cover. Heat until chicken is warm and the sauce is kind of thick.

I usially use this to top the fry bread and add lettuce and cheese and refried beans.
  • edited November 2005
    MoonLgt wrote:
    Ok Fed, Here's one of my families favorites:
    Indian Fry Bread
    ga-do di-gv-tsa-la-nv-hi a-yv-wi-ya

3 cups flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup warm water
    Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add warm water in small amounts and knead dough until soft but not sticky. Adjust flour or water as needed. Cover bowl and let stand about 15 minutes.
    Pull off large egg-sized balls of dough and roll out into fairly thin rounds. Fry rounds in hot oil until bubbles appear on the dough, turn over and fry on the other side until golden.

Serve hot. Try brushing on honey, or making into an Indian Taco by adding a chicken Verde or just top with your favorite Veggies..

Buttermilk Fry Bread
    Substitute buttermilk for water. Follow the same recipe.

I LOVE Indian Fry Bread!! Yummy!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    This recipe comes form a delightful Tibetan Cookbook, and is a wonderful dish for those nippy winter days.

take a piece of shin of beef, (complete with bone and marrow) and place into a large pot and cover with cold water. (probably about three to four pints.)
    If you can't find shin of beef, ask your butcher for a few good pieces of marrow bone, with some meat still left on.

(Note: You can substitute chicken if so wished. use the bones from a filletted chicken, and chicken breasts for the meat content, later. See below.)

Add:
    1 - 2 cloves of garlic, lightly crushed, but still in their skin.
    A generous chunk (2") ginger, skin on, sliced and lightly crushed.
    A heaped t-spoonful of sechuan pepper
    salt.

Bring broth to the boil, and allow to simmer for a good hour or two, reducing the stock by half. Skim off any froth that comes to the surface.
    Strain the stock.

Take a piece of beef fillet, or good quality tender steak, (or two chicken breasts) and using a really sharp knife, shred the beef by scraping it with the blade.
    Put into stock. bring back to a simmer, and cook for about 15 minutes.
    remove from the heat.
    take three tablespoons of Tsampa* flour, and mix with a little cold water to make a pourable paste. Add to the stock, together with a few roasted barley grains. Mix in well, then leave for five minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve in bowls, piping hot.

*(For those wishing to make Tsampa, directions are in the 'vegetarian recipes' thread.)
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Okay this is gonna be a stretch.

When I was in the States,
    Just about every night we had Hot Wings, or 911 Wings or Hooter's Special Hot Wings, Whatever.
    I need this recipe! how are the Chicken Wings cooked, deep fried? oven? what?-I LOVE THE WINGS.

regards,
    Richard

P.S. Yes, so what I went to Hooters.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Xray,

You'll want Buffalo sauce, which is what they make Buffalo wings with, Buffalo being a city in northern New York State. I don't know how it's made, but the wings you get in bars and restaurants like Hooter's are Buffalo wings. Don't be fooled by any other kind. They're not the same. Buffalo wings are hot and really tangy. They're awesome!! In Canada they're served with carrot and celery sticks with a little container of blue cheese dressing (salad dressing). We can buy them frozen in the grocery store. You just put them in the oven for around 20 minutes. SO good. I think they're deep fried in the restaurants, not sure. I've been no help to you at all, have I? No, I guess not. Sorry. I don't know HOW they make that sauce. I'll look around for you if you want.

Your sister,

Flower
    edited February 2006
    oh, Great. Now he needs the chicken AND the sauce - !! :banghead: :D
  • edited February 2006
    Buffalo sauce
    Mango chutney
    Chopped onion
    soya sauce
    Vinegar
    Chopped Chillies
    Tomato sauce
    Brown Sugar
    But I cant remember the measurements, its a long time since I worked at a american steak ranch, but I will e-mail a friend who might be able to get it for me.
    So I havnt been any help as well Sorry
    Now he needs the chicken and the sauce and the measurements
    edited February 2006
    :rockon: :lol::lol:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    riponcub wrote:
    Buffalo sauce
    Mango chutney
    Chopped onion
    soya sauce
    Vinegar
    Chopped Chillies
    Tomato sauce
    Brown Sugar
    But I cant remember the measurements, its a long time since I worked at a american steak ranch, but I will e-mail a friend who might be able to get it for me.
    So I havnt been any help as well Sorry
    Now he needs the chicken and the sauce and the measurements

COOL!!! I never knew they used mango chutney! Yum! There's a Caribbean hot sauce called Matouk's that I can't find anywhere but it's my ultimate favourite. I think it's made with mangos or that other tropical fruit, what's it called? The dark green one that's yellow inside...can't remember. Papaya! That's it! It's so good. Sweet and hot. Very good with jerk chicken or turkey.

Rambling again.

Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    P.S. Yes, so what I went to Hooters.

LOL!!!

I know how you can make the wing sauce. Have you ever seen a bottle of "Frank's Red Hot" sauce? The directions are on the back of it.

Or, you could try my vegetarian version of hot wings! Delicious! :)
  • edited February 2006
    What substitute do you use to make the hot wings.

And I'd like to tell you all my vegetarian diet plans right now. Over spring break I am going to try (and succeed) going without meat for the whole week. I'm going to get some things from a local health food store. After spring break I plan on designating two or three days a week that I don't eat meat. Whenever I'm around 15 or 16 I plan on going full veg.

Fin.
  • edited February 2006
    OK here goes nothing mr Xrayman
    Buffalo Wings
    You can deep-fry these wings a' la Anchor Bar, but they are just as delicious hot of the grill

1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup plain yogurt
    2 ounces crumbled blue cheese (about 1/2 cup)
    4 celery ribs
    3 pounds chicken wings (12 to 14)
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil (if grilling)
    6 cups vegatable oil (if deep frying)
    1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
    3 to 4 tablespoons hot sauce as frank's or goya
    1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar

Make dressing
    In a bowl whisk together mayonnaise and yogurt and stir in blue cheese (dressing will not be smooth) Dressing may be made 8hours ahead and chilled, covered. Cut celery into thin sticks. Soak celery in a bowl of ice and cold water at least 30 minand up to an hour.

Cut off chicken wing tips, reserving for another use, and halve the chicken wings at joint.

To grill wings
    Preheat grill
    Pat wings dry. In a bowl rub 2 tablespoons oil onto wings and season with salt. Grill wings on an oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over or under glowing coals until cooked throug and golden brown. 8 to 10 minutes on each side

To deep-fry wings
    In a large (5 to 6 quart) deep heavy pot heat 6 cups oil until a deep fat thermometer registers 380'F. Just before oil reaches 380'F pat dry 6 or 7 wings. Carefullylower wings into oil and fry, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, golden crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. With a slotted (female) spoon transfer wings to paper towel to drain. Pat dry and fry remaining wings in same manner.

In a large skillet met butter over moderately low heat and stir in hot sauce, vinegar and salt (Tobasco and garlic can be added to taste). Add grilled or fried wings and toss to coat.

Serve chicken wings warm or at room temperature with dressing and celery sticks.

Ps - Sorry, Mango chutney goes into bbq sauce
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    NOW THAT WAS EXCELLENT! thankyou Brigid, Yoga and riboncub especially! I knew that there was butter and tabasco involved! woohoo guess what i'm having this weekend!!

The MRS. works on the weekend I've got to make my own meal then.

YUM

P.S. Hooters is referred to as a "Family Restaurant" That's my story and i'm sticking to it!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Why "buffalo" wings? No buffalo that I have met has wings.
  • edited February 2006
    I have always wondered the same thing, Simon.

Infanta.....as for my vegetarian wings, well, I really cheat. I really don't buy any processed foods, but as a treat for me and my husband, we buy the Morningstar Farms Buffalo Wings. They are just fake chicken (we call it "Ficken" at our house) and they are breaded with wing sauce baked into them. Much healthier than the regular version of buffalo wings! And delicious!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Buffalo is a place near New York.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Okay then, what about American style Ribs? How are they cooked?-what is the coating/sauce used?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Now THERE'S a question.

BBQ is a religion in some places in the U.S. I try not to think about it too often because I have a great desire to experience real American barbecue. St. Louis and Kansas City, are just two of many places I've heard make phenomonal barbecue. Before I die I want to experience the real thing. Just once. Or maybe twice. With all the fixings.

Sorry, Xray. I'm no expert. Some people insist that boiling the ribs first is the trick. Some say it's all in the sauce. Oh, I gotta go. I'm drooling on the keyboard. This is almost as bad as talking about Indian food. I crave Indian food. It's a medicine to me. I could eat it three times a day. Actually, I wish I could. Biriyani, Korma, Tika Masala, Vindaloo, nan bread, spiced samosas, fried Dal (my favourite!), chai tea...I could go on and on and on...

Brigid
    edited March 2006
    Brigid, just for you....

MMMMMMMM!!

Enjoy!!

http://www.curryfrenzy.com/
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    OOOOOOOH! Thanks, Fede!! I forgot about Madras! And Aloo Gobi! There's a million recipes on there!! It's awesome! I'm drooling...

You know what the best part is? You can make anything veggie in Indian cuisine and you'll never miss the meat. But I do love a good chicken Vindaloo!

Brigid
    edited March 2006
    Thanks....
    No, really, Thanks.

My stummick is now rumblin' louder than a prairie rollin' thunderstorm....!!

Yee haw..... ;)

That's it. I'm gonna cook a doozie curry this weekend!
  • edited March 2006
    I live in a suburb of Kansas City, and BBQ is HUGE here. Everytime we go out to eat with family, friends, etc, they always pick BBQ places and I hate BBQ!!!! Brigid - you can come visit sometime. I will take you out for BBQ but bring my own food. :)
  • edited March 2006
    Ok here goes, south africans believe they invented bbq, so they are the best at it. And you where right, the ribs need to be cooked first, otherwise the meat tend to stick to the bone and you have a harder time getting it off, When I worked at this one resturaunt I got this for bbq sauce, very good.

1l mango chutney
    1l tomato sauce/ketchup
    123 ml soya sauce
    1 large onion finely chopped
    garlic to taste
    cup of water

sweat the onions and garlic in a bit of oil, add all the other ingredians, and cook on a medium heat for about 30 to 45 min till a nice consistency. and enjoy, it can be used as a basting sauce or a dip, warm or cold, wonderful with chicken as well
  • edited March 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    I live in a suburb of Kansas City, and BBQ is HUGE here. Everytime we go out to eat with family, friends, etc, they always pick BBQ places and I hate BBQ!!!! Brigid - you can come visit sometime. I will take you out for BBQ but bring my own food. :)

At last! Someone else who hates BBQ - over here we get invited around to other people's gardens to get asphyxiated by smoke from burning meat .... yum yum black crunchy chicken with pink interior, highly decorative (but totally inedible) or those things that look like fossilised penii ... oh yes, burnt sausages.

Yerk!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    YogaMama wrote:

Yogamama,

If I'm ever able to travel that far I may very well take you up on that invitation. Kansas City is one of the places I've always wanted to go and is the place I always think of when people say BBQ and the Blues. How incredibly cool! You must know a lot of places with great music. Kansas City is just legendary to me. How wonderful!

My new "happy place" is going to be a table in a BBQ/music joint with you, with amazing, legendary BBQ on my plate, wonderful and wholesome food on yours, and some really old Blues coming from the stage. Wouldn't that be a blast? It'll never happen, but dreaming's free, right? And it's almost as good as being there. I shouldn't say never. But I'm still having trouble with the 20 minute drive it takes to get into town. LOL! So Kansas City may be a stretch. sigh. But that's so amazingly cool that you live there, Yogamama! So cool!

Thanks for the invite.

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    Brigid - that does sound like a great time with you! Maybe oneday...;)

You make Kansas City sounds so wonderful! :) We moved here from Phoenix, and have been less than thrilled with our move here. It's ok here...just not as much for active people to do as there was in Phoenix. And it is a little bit more "behind in the times" than some other places. But...we find plenty of things to do and we have fun anyways!
  • edited March 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:
    At last! Someone else who hates BBQ - over here we get invited around to other people's gardens to get asphyxiated by smoke from burning meat .... yum yum black crunchy chicken with pink interior, highly decorative (but totally inedible) or those things that look like fossilised penii ... oh yes, burnt sausages.

Yerk!

LOL!!!! I hate bbq!!!
  • edited March 2006
    If I ever needed a clincher to persuade me to go back to vegetarianism, it would be that I could politely decline invitations to barbecue parties .... all I end up eating is the bread and the yukky crunchy rice salad and watching other people get drunk.
  • edited March 2006
    Why do you think I became vegetarian?? :)
  • edited March 2006
    Well at the moment I am managing to skip the meat content half the week while still keeping the Old Feller happy with plenty of pork chops etc. And it seems to be working ...
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Now THERE'S a question.

BBQ is a religion in some places in the U.S. I try not to think about it too often because I have a great desire to experience real American barbecue. St. Louis and Kansas City, are just two of many places I've heard make phenomonal barbecue. Before I die I want to experience the real thing. Just once. Or maybe twice. With all the fixings.

Sorry, Xray. I'm no expert. Some people insist that boiling the ribs first is the trick. Some say it's all in the sauce. Oh, I gotta go. I'm drooling on the keyboard. This is almost as bad as talking about Indian food. I crave Indian food. It's a medicine to me. I could eat it three times a day. Actually, I wish I could. Biriyani, Korma, Tika Masala, Vindaloo, nan bread, spiced samosas, fried Dal (my favourite!), chai tea...I could go on and on and on...

Brigid

Okay, Here I'm going to have to interject,

Boiling the ribs? mmm. how long?

Are they Pork or lamb ribs-traditionally used? there was a term used I think it was Babyback-WTF is that? is that piglet??

So you like your Indian hey? Not as much as I do! I could sleep inside a vindaloo mmmm Vindaloo.

Only thing is, I am not supposed to eat any of that sort of sh**, it blocks me up for ages-it's apparently an A+ blood group problem (according to some crackpot-but it seems to be true for me, unfortunately).

regards,
    Xrayman:-/
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    "I could sleep inside a vindaloo mmmm Vindaloo."

Xray, LMAO!

That's such a shame! Indian food acts like the best medicine on the world on me. In fact, I had a Korma last night and felt better today than I have in ages. What if you eat milder dishes with no meat?

As for those ribs, they're generally pork or beef and, no, baby back ribs are just the smaller, more tender ribs, considered prime.
    I don't know how long to boil the ribs but I imagine STOP READING, VEGETARIANS long enough to soften the meat and connective tissue so that when you're eating them the meat falls off the bone.

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    You are right Bridget, babyback rib is the short rib of pork, and boil them for about 20 - 30 min.

Through on fire and enjoy
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    WooHoo! 20-30 mins okay, thanks Rip!

*looks dejected* Now I feel absolutely disgusting for liking these non-vego things.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Xray, I know you're only kidding but it brings up the point about whether to be veggie or not. When I was poor I had no choice, I ate what was offered. I don't want to feel bad or good about food. Just grateful to have it.

Love,
    Brigid

P.S. BTW, Yogamama, when I was in town last week we went to the grocery store and found a new kind of Frank's Hot Sauce, BUFFALO WINGS Hot Sauce!!!! And it's FANTASTIC!!! I love, love, love it! It's soooo piquante! I've been putting it on my corn flakes. LOL!
  • edited March 2006
    Brigid

Well I recon hot sauce on corn flakes isnt so bad, when at uni I had rice krispies with marmite/oxo.
  • edited March 2006
    I was about to say EEEeeeeeewwwwwww but then remembered when I got home from a party ravenous and tucked into a cold sausage and home made rhubarb jam sandwich. It was gorgeous.
  • edited March 2006
    And I was about to say "eeewwww", but I am the last person that should criticize odd eating habits. Heck, I make sure me, my husband and daughter get cod liver oil in their diet every single day! Oil squeezed out of the liver of fish - how odd is that???
  • edited March 2006
    Well I think our diet might be about to change quite severely .... I've just got back from the doctor's with the Old Feller and it would appear that his vertigo problem could be connected to cholesterol and if that is the case, then we go on a regime.

He has to go for tests on Tuesday but with his history of heart problems and diabetes they don't mess around .... and it is going to be wonderful fun trying to juggle yet another prohibition into his already restricted diet .............

but it might just be the "in" I need to make us four day a week vegetarians!
  • edited March 2006
    Well, I sure hope your "Old Feller" is ok!!! Let me know if you want or need any good tips on eating healthy - I am always glad to help!
  • edited March 2006
    Many thanks YM - will let you know. Am probably going to dive into Amazon and look if there is a Low Carbohydrate Total Pigout Cookbook.
  • edited March 2006
    NO NO NO! Don't do the low carbohydrate thing!
  • edited March 2006
    Sorry - I meant Low Cholesterol!
  • edited March 2006
    Whew - I was getting ready to open my can of whoop ass on you!
  • edited March 2006
    Sorry - my head's not quite on straight tonight. His problem is cholesterol, not the other one - hah, so meat is going to be rationed.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    (I didn't really put the hot sauce on my corn flakes. I don't like corn flakes.LOL!)
    edited April 2006
    You will need a medium to large wok for this dish, and a rack or trivet to fit inside, about half way up the wok... This works best on a gas-cooker, and I think using an electric wok would not be a good idea.... This can be a bit wearing on the pan, so I have a wok I use, especially for just this dish. But believe me, it's worth it!!

Serves 4 as a starter, or 2 for a main course....

First, prepare your sauce...preferably 24-hours ahead...

5 fl. oz white wine vinegar
    4 oz. caster sugar
    Generous pinch of chilli flakes

Put all of the above into a small saucepan, put onto a medium heat until sugar is all dissolved and sauce is reduced by a half. Stir, and watch that it doesn't reduce too much...
    Whilst still hot, pour into a small glass jar, and put lid on.
    This stuff will keep for ages, in the fridge - hell, it will outlive you! - but put the jar into a cup of hot water just before serving, to 'loosen' the syrup a bit...

Take two duck breasts and slash the skins and flesh diagonally, skin-side only...
    Rub a mixture of salt, caster sugar and ground sezchuan pepper into the slashes.
    leave to sit for a second or two, while you prepare the smoker:

Line the wok with a folded piece of aluminium foil to go over the base, and then two sheets, cross-wise, to cover the inside completely. The folded piece just adds a bit of extra protection, and helps to distribute the heat more evenly....

To smoke, you'll need:

2 oz. plain flour
    2 oz. caster sugar
    2 Tbsps of a good strong oriental tea, but even liptons or twinings will do....

Mix these together thoroughly, and put into the wok, onto the foil...
    Put the rack or trivet, place the lid on, and heat for a moment or two, on a medium heat....
    Place the duck-breasts skin side up on the rack, shut the lid and set the timer for 20 minutes*.
    Lift the overlapping bits of foil up around the lip of the lid, to just improve the seal, a bit....

From now on, you cannot lift the lid again, until your timer buzzes!

In the meanwhile, prepare the rice...
    Thai rice is best for this, but any long-grain neutral rice, is fine. Try to avoid strong-flavoured rice, (basmati, jasmine) unless you intend to use it plain, because the spices will muddle the flavours....

Into a pan of water, add the following:

4 black whole cardamom pods
    4 or 5 green cardamom pods
    4 cloves
    1/2 tsp of sezchuan pepercorns
    1 stick of indian cinnamon bark (not the rolled up variety used in cakes and puddings... this bark is quite thick and dark..It's also called kassia bark)
    1 whole star anise
    Strip of lemon peel.

If you can find a mesh-ball spice-holder, so much the better...if not, you can tie this lot into a little muslin bag....
    Otherwise, you'll just have to judiciously pick every bit out of the rice separately....

Bring the water to the boil, and add six ounces of rice, and cook as per normal. DO NOT SALT BEFORE COOKING!
    (Salt breaks down the starch in the rice, and causes this splitting of the grain... only ever salt rice afterwards, but this dish is better through not adding salt to the rice, at all...it's a wonderful foil for the duck and the sauce....)

When your buzzer sounds, triumphantly lift the lid, and release all that wondeful aroma into the air!
    Let the duck breasts rest for a moment, off the heat, then (this bit will require gloves, and maybe a cloth to hold the skin with, because it's danged hot!) carefully remove the skin, working down the duckbreast, slicing away at the membrane joining the skin to the flesh...
    Slice each breast diagonally, and serve with the rice, the sauce in a dipping dish, and a tangy green salad with a lemon and soy sauce dressing...

Bon appetit!

(* Depending on how large the duckbreasts are, you may have to adjust the cooking time... never less than twenty minutes, but if they are on the large size - think Pamela Quackderson... then give them thirty minutes. The duckbreasts should be very tender, juicy and slightly pink....)
  • edited April 2006
    That sounds lovely!
    I'm going to have to have a go at cooking that, I love duck.
    My mouth's watering right now just thinking of it! :)