Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Insight

edited November 2010 in Meditation
What do you think is the best way to go about gaining insight?
What specific meditation techniques do you think are the best for tearing through misconceptions permanently?

I thought I'd get multiple opinions on this, because I'm sure everyone has different strategies.

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Vipassana, which translates as insight-meditation, seems to fit the bill. It has been of benefit in my practice.
  • edited November 2010
    Hi revolutionary 14,

For someone completely new to meditation, I would suggest that they begin with tranquility meditation (samatha). I would also suggest finding an offline Buddhist meditation class.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • edited November 2010
    Vipassana, which translates as insight-meditation, seems to fit the bill. It has been of benefit in my practice.
    This is what I'm trying to do, to gain insight, but I've heard different definitions on what it is, and how it is done. That's why I'm unsure.
  • edited November 2010
    Hi revolutionary 14,

For someone completely new to meditation, I would suggest that they begin with tranquility meditation (samatha). I would also suggest finding an offline Buddhist meditation class.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle

edit: Actually, I have kind of had one insight, of 'now' being the only thing that exists (lead to some anatta understanding). But I don't know, that might have just become apparent from thinking so much about it. xD
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    vipassana of course.

learn the technique, figure out where you are on your journey on the 16 nanas, and meditate alot.

go to retreats once in a while.
  • edited November 2010
    vipassana is what im trying to learn, to gain insight, but the problem is that I've heard different approaches as to how it is done, and what it is.
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I usually get my insights when I am mopping the floor, reading this forum, reading a Horror-genre book etc. Doing something mundane.

That's how our mind works, it works best subconsciously.

I feel meditation is to prepare your mind for these moments of insight to unfold. Just sharing My personal experience. :)
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    vipassana is what im trying to learn, to gain insight, but the problem is that I've heard different approaches as to how it is done, and what it is.
    just read Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha and go to retreats. it's not very complicated.

If you go to a retreat, which is free and all over the world, they will teach you well, have the opportunity to ask as many questions as you wish and you will have enough practice to be able to take it from there on your own.if you try to understand, you will not get it. you need to practice, sit, in order to understand it.

here is a list of recommanded books by the author of "mastering the core teaching of the Buddha", if this book isn't for you right now. http://www.interactivebuddha.com/booklist.shtml
  • edited November 2010
    Try working on uncovering your third eye (brow chakra). I advise you to Google it if you're unfamiliar.
  • edited November 2010
    Yea, I guess it just takes work and time. But I'm impatient in the way that; why would i want to keep leading a life of suffering.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Its like falling off a log. Do the shamata practice while not clinging to sensations. Insight will come. When the penny drops.

Often its very gradual.