Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

So this is Nirvana...

edited December 2010 in General Banter
Wow is all I have to say...

I know that you're not supposed to talk about this (right?) but I've finally reached Nirvana. (exclamation ! I think)

So what's it like??

When I go outside I see rainbows. Literally. They are fixed rainbows (double rainbows) but only I can see them. There are also these really beautiful lines that criss-cross the sky and appear to be chasms where Heaven is seeping in or out. There are almost like exit portals instead of entry from beyond to below.

All the animals around me especially the birds and insects are dancing around me in synchronous harmony.

I feel amazing and yet balanced. Like I'm on an ulta-controlled acid trip.

I can see all kinds auras around plants and animals. I used to be very paranoid about it at first but now not so much. It's just being able to see energy and awareness that is so awe inspiring it overrides the fear.

When I meditate I am hearing the most beautful celestial music. And I have a very easy facility of moving up into my crown chakra and beyond.

There is a place far beyond up there in Heaven where a flute plays the song of how I got separated from the Universe to begin with. It's like a story but it's music. It draws you to it and takes you further up into other songs. There are places without material substance that I can go to in my dreams... not so much when I am meditating but when I go to sleep I can go there. So much Light.

A few nights ago I had a beautiful dream where I was traveling, flying, I saw castles and palaces on little islands and large continents full of beautiful cities. I kept going and going until I saw this huge large object of light in front of me. It was so big and I felt so small and yet seeing it talked to me and said that I was this and that I was that and we collided and I was in another Heaven without any matter at all. It was SO beautiful!!

Anyway... I'm so very glad to be able to write this just to announce to the world that Nirvana is a real place. I know it now to the heart of my soul.

Another interesting thing is that I don't feel alone anymore. God is always there right next to me. And everytime I go outside for errands or whatnot the world just spins around me in the most beautiful synchronous dance that I wonder who is controlling people and cars and animals and the wind just to give me the show. It's so out of this world...

This all started a few months after I started practicing Surat Shabad Yoga - the yoga of the Audible Life Stream. It's Sant Mat - a religion close to Buddhism. You concentrate on your sense of inner hearing and you start hearing the Word. God's word... his sound. And you just follow the sound of Him all the way up to Heaven.

And here having been a Buddhist for 15 years I thought there was no God. Boy was I wrong! Phew...!

I think the Buddha must have attained some sort of supreme enlightenment for him to say that there is no God or something. But isn't it written that Brahma himself came down at the hour of Buddha's enlightenment to ask him to spread his teachings? I wonder then why Buddhism preaches no God??? He's standing right here next to me!!! :)

Comments

• edited November 2010
    have you found out whether carebears are gay or not?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    That sounds like one fun trip, certainly much more interesting than what actual enlightenment will be like. :) Fantasy has always been my genre -- you should write a book!
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited December 2010
    One time a poster of Bob Marley seriously lit the joint he was holding and passed it to me. I decided to go lay down, but there were 3 people in my bed staring at me like they had never met me before. So I went back to the couch and melted into the cushions.
  • edited December 2010
    milkmoth wrote: »
    Wow is all I have to say...

Yep, that's all I have to say too...

Why do these crappy threads have to keep popping up???
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Acid.
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited December 2010
    This is quite obviously a thread that belongs in the "Advanced Ideas" section.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I can understand the scepticism, but are the replies in any way helpful?
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Vangelis wrote: »
    Yep, that's all I have to say too...

Why do these crappy threads have to keep popping up???

Because people continue to have experiences they like to share? Why does your mind continue to label them as crappy?

Milkmoth, keep practicing... even your current state will pass into something more direct! Good luck! Maybe practice some metta?

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited December 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    Because people continue to have experiences they like to share? Why does your mind continue to label them as crappy?

I label them as crappy because to flippantly declare that one has become enlightened simultaneously declares the delusion of the meditator and "cheapens" nirvana or nibbana, thereby belittling the Buddha's own achievement of it. To insinuate that someone who is steeped in a delusional material world can just sit down one afternoon and attain nibbana is ludicrous. It takes dedicated monks decades and still only a rare few achieve it.

Yes, it is a crappy declaration.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I label them as crappy because to flippantly declare that one has become enlightened simultaneously declares the delusion of the meditator and "cheapens" nirvana or nibbana, thereby belittling the Buddha's own achievement of it. To insinuate that someone who is steeped in a delusional material world can just sit down one afternoon and attain nibbana is ludicrous. It takes dedicated monks decades and still only a rare few achieve it.
    how do you know? been there?

how old was the Buddha when he became enlighten? How many years has he been practicing?

Ajahn Chah once said that 7 years of practice should be sufficient for a monk to have experienced enough liberation to be able to teach and complete their journey on their own.
    This person has been meditating for 15 years apparently, who knows the details of his/her practice.

I believe it would be detrimental to you to hold too firmly the unfounded belief that enlightenment, or great insights and liberation are impossible for you, regardless of your situation.
    don't you think so?

IMO, If anything, theses threads (maybe not this particular one) are very beneficial since people start to realize that they too can realize deep insights, live great experiences of liberation and progress quickly on the path if they just sit down and meditate a bit.

I agree with aMatt, this person probably lived a great experience that probably will change his/her life and wanted to share it with us.
    (Might be trolling too, as I've never heard anything like this but i wouldn't know)
  • edited December 2010

And yet the Buddha needed only 6 years.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited December 2010

When my 9 year old son holds up a picture he has drawn and calls himself an artist, would it be right to say his joy in sharing it, or his declaration of himself as an artist, decreases the value of a Monet or our quite skilled Richard H? That it somehow devalues the notion of art?

Be careful you don't attach so much to the idea of nirvana that you let experiences like this beat up your mind... or it decreases your compassion for others. Really, its unnecessary!
  • edited December 2010
    To Milkmoth -

As you have seen, declaring that you have experienced either nirvana or enlightenment will always be met with skepticism like this...

But also, to declare that you HAVE experienced said phenomena is an admission of ignorance. What you experienced I have no doubt was an important part of your journey, don't allow these people to sway you in its' importance to you. However... I believe you should continue studying and practicing (Use this experience to your advantage!).

Not responding to the posts is an indication that you're well on your way (Or laziness if you haven't been keeping an eye on it).

Keep going, it only gets better :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    He was just playin', murray. Maybe shoulda been in General Banter, but still. :)
  • edited December 2010
    I think milkmoth has found something beautiful. Totally letting go of any sort of practice or commitment to a higher goal, and just allowing yourself to enjoy every moment of being alive. As described in this thread: http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?p=139656#post139656

One doesn't need to follow a practice to be happy. One just needs to be happy. Actuall you don't need to be anything. Just simply be your natural self. By committing yourself to a practice day after day, one just perpetuates a complex cycle.

Congrats milkmoth. I hope you have found something real.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I do not know whether this was a joke, or seriousness, whether it is fact or fiction, whether the author thinks it's fact or fiction, but nevertheless I find it interesting, and has ever so slightly, just, changed the way I look at life :)
  • edited December 2010
    From what Milkmoth has declared, I can say with 100% certainty the following:

1. He/she has not achieved nibbana.
    2. He/she has not experienced the jhanas.
    3. He/she is deluded (just like the rest of us).

I do not doubt that he/she has experienced something very interesting as far as how the mind perceives and interprets the world. But, it is at precisely these points that a practitioner needs an experienced teacher to keep them on the path. These sorts of experiences are precisely the sort of experiences that can make a practitioner drift off the path. And getting advice from some voodoo/yoga teacher ain't gonna get you to nibbana.

I would strongly recommend that MilkMoth get him/herself to a suitably experienced Buddhist monk.
  • edited December 2010
    Epicurus wrote: »
    And yet the Buddha needed only 6 years.

The Buddha led up to this with many eons of lifetimes perfecting the paramitas. Let's not trivialize the effort required to become a Buddha either. :)
  • edited December 2010
    I can say with 100% certainty

:eek:

Wow, you are the first ever to accomplish this!
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited December 2010
    1. He/she has not achieved nibbana.
    3. He/she is deluded (just like the rest of us).
    You forgot number 4. He/she is JOKING!

Come on now, double rainbows, dancing animals. :rolleyes:
  • edited December 2010
    milkmoth wrote: »
    All the animals around me especially the birds and insects are dancing around me in synchronous harmony.

At first I found this creepy, but then it occurred to me that it didn't have to be like a Disney movie.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nqc9_KIk8D4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nqc9_KIk8D4?fs=1&hl=en_US&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    edited December 2010
    That video makes me feel like I'm being perved on by a horny German/Russian who has slipped me drugs and set scary animals on me.
  • edited December 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    That video makes me feel like I'm being perved on by a horny German/Russian who has slipped me drugs and set scary animals on me.

You're welcome! :tonguec:
  • edited December 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    When my 9 year old son holds up a picture he has drawn and calls himself an artist, would it be right to say his joy in sharing it, or his declaration of himself as an artist, decreases the value of a Monet or our quite skilled Richard H? That it somehow devalues the notion of art?

The mind is still forming in a young child. If your son was 30 and he declared himself to be a Monet but still had the skill of a 9 yo then yes, he would be cheapening art. Of course as adults we do have the ability to self-assess.

Unfortunately, when it comes to the mind and what it can do when it starts to wake from its slumber, we hove so little experience that a minor experience can seem like it is the be all and end all of experiences. We need to have someone who has been through it before to tell us to let it go and move on. It is just the mind.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited December 2010
    From what Milkmoth has declared, I can say with 100% certainty the following:

how on earth can you deduct this from his post?
  • edited December 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    how on earth can you deduct this from his post?

Simple. If he/she had experienced jhana, he/she would not be babbling on about rainbows and gods. The experience would be so powerful that they would be talking about jhana, not altered mental views of reality.
  • finding0finding0 Veteran
    edited December 2010
    yes I agree. In the experience of nirvana, the last thing on mind would be to go on the computer and talk about what THEY are experiencing. I think milk moth may have been taking mind altering substances when this was written. Not that it is a bad thing. They can be highly beneficial in spiritual advancement
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Certainly I know that if I had suddenly achieved Nirvana the first thing I would do would be to start bragging about it on the internet.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Simple. If he/she had experienced jhana, he/she would not be babbling on about rainbows and gods. The experience would be so powerful that they would be talking about jhana, not altered mental views of reality.
    you may reconsider your assessment after watching this:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Ki74KbfPLs?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Ki74KbfPLs?fs=1&hl=en_US&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

crazy things happen, and more crazy things happen the farther down your path.
    edited December 2010
    Artemis wrote: »
    You're welcome! :tonguec:

yeahimhorny128611352198912437.jpg
    edited December 2010

Well I wouldn't be.
    edited December 2010
    finding0 wrote: »
    yes I agree. In the experience of nirvana, the last thing on mind would be to go on the computer and talk about what THEY are experiencing. I think milk moth may have been taking mind altering substances when this was written. Not that it is a bad thing. They can be highly beneficial in spiritual advancement

If you like... But "rainbows and dancing animals" are a bit "young adult tourist let loose on Amsterdam" feel.
    edited December 2010
    Artemis wrote: »
    At first I found this creepy, but then it occurred to me that it didn't have to be like a Disney movie.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nqc9_KIk8D4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nqc9_KIk8D4?fs=1&hl=en_US&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Let The Wild Rumpus Start!!!! :eek:
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The mind is still forming in a young child. If your son was 30 and he declared himself to be a Monet but still had the skill of a 9 yo then yes, he would be cheapening art.

Ah, well its no wonder you become so disturbed! Protect nirvana!
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Hi Milkmoth

Thanks for posting your account here, I know it's a brave thing to put yourself out there and share some of what may feel like your deepest and most sacred experiences.

Like others have said, it can range from delusion to full blown enlightenment. But these are all opinions only. And I only have mine to share also.

In Buddhism, as far as I am aware, the difference in theory is that consciousness is consciousness. This means: consciousness can manifest in any form and orientation. But it is all only still, at the end of the day, only consciousness. The Buddha Way is to know that which is before consciousness, and yet be able to manifest and operate within and as consciousness.

It is slightly different.

As to God, in Buddhism we do not refute God, but our mission, should we choose to accept is to know and thus manifest Source.

I am happy for you and hope these experiences will aid on your journey to Awakening. As jinzang once quoted his teacher, if someone comes to me with an experience, I can say that is not yet enlightenment.

If Nirvana was just an experience, how cheap would that be.

Best wishes, and I hope, no offence.

Kind regards
    Abu