Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

De-evolution

JoshuaJoshua Veteran
edited December 2010 in Philosophy
I believe Buddhism endorses de-evolution of humans?

If so, are there any good supporting arguments?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Buddhism accords with evolution. I don't think there's any such thing as de-evolution; it would only be what we think of ourselves that we'd be judging the "new" formations we'd assume. It would still be normal evolution based on causality/conditions.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Really? I definitely remember reading something that I thought came out of the Dalai Lama's mouth, something about how the speaker wasn't necessarily convicted, but traditionally Buddhist lore teaches of a sort of fall from grace, that we were once higher spiritual beings who de-evolved into modern humans.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Maybe Tibetan Buddhism; the Dalai Lama is the spiritual leader of the Tibetan people.

Buddhist cosmology speaks of lower and higher realms, as well as the human realm, that constitute different states of existence per each rebirth. So, if one believes that, you could have been a deva (god) in a former life but through your karma are a human today.

I've never read or heard anything about humans de-evolving in Buddhist teachings though. I have read parts that correlate to what we now call "evolution" though.
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited December 2010
    There is no such thing as de-evolution. I don't even know how to compehend such a concept. Evolution is just a theory of change. What is "de-change"? Is it like rewind on a VHS? Even then the tape is still being effected and not "de-effected", it's only the human perception of it being rewound.
  • edited December 2010
    Our pre-frontal cortex is one of the most significant elements that sets us apart from what came before us, our imagination and all that.

Buddhist practice does try to tone down the importance we place on that part of the brain.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, it's not the most rational idea, nevertheless I was curious if there was a good argument. Apparently it doesn't even exist.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    I think this is a good lesson in finding links, researching and having accessible references to our topic....BEFORE posting.......:rolleyes:

...."definitely remember reading something" isn't all that helpful...:lol:
  • edited December 2010
    valois wrote: »
    Really? I definitely remember reading something that I thought came out of the Dalai Lama's mouth, something about how the speaker wasn't necessarily convicted, but traditionally Buddhist lore teaches of a sort of fall from grace, that we were once higher spiritual beings who de-evolved into modern humans.

There is the cosmology of the Agganna Sutta; see, the section beginning with [10].
    11. 'At that period, Vasettha, there was just one mass of water, and all was darkness, blinding darkness. Neither moon nor sun appeared, no constellations or stars appeared, night and day were not distinguished, nor months and fortnights, no years or seasons, and no male and female, beings being reckoned just as beings. And sooner or later, after a very long period of time, savoury earth spread itself over the waters where those beings were. It looked just like the skin that forms itself over hot milk as it cools. It was endowed with colour, smell and taste. It was the colour of fine ghee or butter, and it was very sweet, like pure wild honey.

12. 'Then some being of a greedy nature said: "I say, what can this be?" and tasted the savoury earth on its finger. In so doing, it became taken with the flavour, and craving arose in it. Then other beings, taking their cue from that one, also tasted the stuff with their fingers. They too were taken with the flavour, and craving arose in them. So they set to with their hands, breaking off pieces of the stuff in order to eat it. And the result of this was that their self-luminance disappeared. And as a result of the disappearance of their self-luminance, the moon and the sun appeared, night and day were distinguished, months and fortnights appeared, and the year and its seasons. To that extent the world re-evolved.
    Note that the translators use 're-evolved' not 'de-evolved'. Think about it: can something de-evolve? A bird losing its ability to fly (like a penguin) hasn't de-evolved, it has simply evolved to inhabit a different ecological niche.

Anyway, should we interpret this all in a materialist reductionist way? Or should we interpret the Agganna as describing desire as the cause of suffering?

I do hope that there are formless realms though, and that somebirth I will be formless and mind-made.

Here's another scriptural source speaking of a "fall" from higher, purer states to those states lower and more coarse; see ch. II from the Brahmajala Sutta; most of these examples give a limited (mis)knowledge of previous existences as the cause of harboring certain wrong views of reality.
  • edited December 2010

This isnt unique to Tibetan Buddhism but is a part of Buddhist cosmology.
    Its not necessarily de-evolution but rather the conditions of different eons.
    Right now, according to Buddhist cosmological time structure we are in the so called kaliyuga or degenerate age. The times are said to be very bad but authentic practice yields extraordinary results.
  • edited December 2010
    devolution is what science calls the cow. It was a species, but it has devolved to where it is impossible to say just which species. So evolution is change towards higher beings, and devolution is change towards lower beings.

I question this science personally. I ask if it is not possible that a calf is perfectly evolved, and just born in a slum with slum traditions poised to defeat it.

"The child has the Buddha Mind."
  • edited December 2010
    Tsoanra wrote: »
    So evolution is change towards higher beings
    I dont think that this is what evolution is.
    Evolution is about adaptation, not a progressive march toward perfection.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes, there should be a distinction made between biological evolution (the theory) and 'evolution' as it is (mis)interpreted and (mis)applied in other systems. The same goes for 'quantum'.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Um.. can I hijack this thread for a second and ask a personal question..

I often feel Darwinian evolution doesn't paint the whole picture, but I find it difficult to find suitable alternatives or the next step in the ladder. Does anyone else know?
  • edited December 2010
    This is the closest shloka I could find in the suttas on de-evolution:

They tell us that
    We lost our tails
    Evolving up
    From little snails
    I say it's all
    Just wind in sails
    Are we not men?

We are DEVO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCpxSzacbyc
  • edited December 2010

I often feel Darwinian evolution doesn't paint the whole picture, but I find it difficult to find suitable alternatives or the next step in the ladder. Does anyone else know?

If all beings are "evolving" toward buddhahood, then perhaps the next step on the ladder is a humanoid with webbed fingers and toes, taught calf muscles like an antelope, arms so long that they can reach their knees without any bending, and sheathed sexual organs with fragrant smegma.

Man, that's a silly picture!
  • edited December 2010

I agree..though "survival of the fittest/strongest" is the phrase most often-used (at least, in terms of describing the accompanying mechanism of natural selection), "survival of the most adaptable" would be better.
    upalabhava wrote: »
    ...a humanoid with webbed fingers and toes, taught calf muscles like an antelope, arms so long that they can reach their knees without any bending, and sheathed sexual organs with fragrant smegma.

Hrm. A/S/L? Kidding! Kidding...
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    De-evolution presumes going from a high state to a low state...

I think you are curious why there are defilements? Why aren't we just start out enlightened?

Well why do you think? I think that one is hard to answer..
  • edited December 2010
    Artemis wrote: »
    Hrm. A/S/L? Kidding! Kidding...

How about a picture?

Here's me practicing my banananana* meditation.

idsFck.jpg

* Nanny Ogg knew how to start spelling 'banana', but didn't know how you stopped.
    — Terry Pratchett (Witches Abroad)
  • edited December 2010
    How about a picture?

Here's me practicing my banananana* meditation.

idsFck.jpg

* Nanny Ogg knew how to start spelling 'banana', but didn't know how you stopped.
    — Terry Pratchett (Witches Abroad)

I dont remember giving you permission to post pictures of me.
    :D
  • edited December 2010

Are you open to reevaluating that? What is a social skill? The ability to transcend conflict when others are not like you. And evolution is more and more things not like each other. And the cosmos is an astronomical extrapolation of that, and obviously its parts do ultimately meet.
  • edited December 2010

First you assume that man is the tip of evolution? The pinnacle? If you go from there you are just twirling your thumbs. There is nothing dummer on Earth than man. Only man can be talked into being dummer than a cow or a pig, or even a crosseyed apartment cat.

But that's a long lecture. Maybe next time meditation will come forth with a nutshell version, though this lecture usually takes over an hour. Yes, the short version sounds more like an incantation than an invitation to understand how far man has fallen below the evolved norm.
  • edited December 2010
    If all beings are "evolving" toward buddhahood, then perhaps the next step on the ladder is a humanoid with webbed fingers and toes, taught calf muscles like an antelope, arms so long that they can reach their knees without any bending, and sheathed sexual organs with fragrant smegma.

Man, that's a silly picture!

Buddha sat beneath the tree waiting to become as beautiful as the tree, not waiting for the tree to call him a god.
  • edited December 2010
    Adaptable is nothing. It's not a contest. What is the greatest social distance? Is it between two primordial bits of slime? Or is it between a bit of slime and God? So how does a bit of slime get closer to God? By living with God for a long time, or by just stretching perpetually into differences and increasing differences? All life forms evolve to bring all life forms closer to God, to realize the enormity of caring about something profoundly different. A niche is love. I don't eat that; it's yours! If I don't eat it you can live near me.

Self is an illusion of life preparing an illusion of life for others by thinking up one.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Go door to door and they will be really worried if you are not selling something.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    First you assume that man is the tip of evolution? The pinnacle? If you go from there you are just twirling your thumbs. There is nothing dummer on Earth than man. Only man can be talked into being dummer than a cow or a pig, or even a crosseyed apartment cat.

But that's a long lecture. Maybe next time meditation will come forth with a nutshell version, though this lecture usually takes over an hour. Yes, the short version sounds more like an incantation than an invitation to understand how far man has fallen below the evolved norm.

I suppose I failed to grasp the concept, no less in a thread of de-evolution from higher beings. I guess I'm dumber than you.
  • edited December 2010
    (Being different from ordinary men)

When we renounce learning we have no troubles.
    The (ready) 'yes,' and (flattering) 'yea;'
    Small is the difference they display.
    But mark their issues, good and ill;
    What space the {gulf between} shall fill?
  • edited December 2010
    Only man can be talked into being dummer than a cow or a pig, or even a crosseyed apartment cat.

..but who talks them into that? Another sapient human. So there's still some notable intelligence going on there. ;)

Tsoanra, just out of curiosity, whose work on evolutionary theory do you like to read? Dawkins, or another?
  • edited December 2010
    I suppose I failed to grasp the concept, no less in a thread of de-evolution from higher beings. I guess I'm dumber than you.

If so it isn't because you were born any dummer than evolution made life on Earth, and how beautiful that is! If we see the height from which we have been driven by conditioning we will not be taking it as lightly as you are doing.

What is an infant? A noisy, smelly, ingrate? Or an alien being in chains stuffed with offensive garbage? and not afraid to comment on it?
  • edited December 2010
    ..but who talks them into that? Another sapient human. So there's still some notable intelligence going on there. ;)

Tsoanra, just out of curiosity, whose work on evolutionary theory do you like to read? Dawkins, or another?

Clearly conditioning in the guise of self talks to them. Have you ever read any meditation works?

Evolution is just theft from works three-thousand years old, as is instinct. And as yet the modern effort hasn't caught up with the original. Because there is no meditation behind the modern.

Buddhist intellect? Gawdhelpus!
  • edited December 2010
    Clearly conditioning in the guise of self talks to them. Have you ever read any meditation works?

It sounds like you have your mind pre-emptively made up. And yes, I have read teachings on meditation. I don't see any opposition or dichotomy between the two.
  • edited December 2010
    It sounds like you have your mind pre-emptively made up. And yes, I have read teachings on meditation. I don't see any opposition or dichotomy between the two.

I'm stating a fact. The conditioning destroys the child's mind; the child becomes conditioned, an authority, and destroys the next generation's minds. What do you want to discuss; what's your opening leading to? You seem to be posting in a terrible rush. Are you fishing for a discussion of the karma of being born into such a terrible predicament, or do you really think it's nice to do this to children? Maybe deep conversation is what you ought to be avoiding, not inviting.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm stating a fact. The conditioning destroys the child's mind; the child becomes conditioned, an authority, and destroys the next generation's minds. What do you want to discuss; what's your opening leading to? You seem to be posting in a terrible rush. Are you fishing for a discussion of the karma of being born into such a terrible predicament, or do you really think it's nice to do this to children? Maybe deep conversation is what you ought to be avoiding, not inviting.

The conditioning can just as easily provide the child the tools to cast off the conditioned ignorance inherent in its birth. If you are to fault conditioning, you ought not to do so from your now conditioned perspective that conditioning is bad.

If you believe, "the child becomes conditioned, an authority, and destroys the next generation's minds," you must appreciate that, unless you're one of the countless people passing by to assert their enlightenment, you yourself are guilty of this each time you interact in any way with anyone, always.
  • edited December 2010
    You seem to be posting in a terrible rush.

Based on what?
    Are you fishing for a discussion of the karma of being born into such a terrible predicament, or do you really think it's nice to do this to children?

We're moving swiftly into off-topic, non-sequitur land.

Based on your last few comments, it seems you believe you are in a position to preach/lecture/witness to the poor, benighted souls here. You aren't the first to try this.
    Maybe deep conversation is what you ought to be avoiding, not inviting.

Belittling others and encouraging them to avoid 'deep conversation' hardly seems productive. Or kind.
  • edited December 2010
    De-volution probably would not help your practices, for it will just make yourself more arrogant and look down on "all the other stupid people".
  • edited December 2010
    Surely, evo / devo within the context of six realm, and the processes are terribly non-environmentally friendly as a whole :p

In common parlance, "devolution" is the evolution of a species into more "primitive" forms. From a doctrinaire perspective, devolution does not exist. Lay people may see evolution as "progress", reflecting the ideas of Lamarckism and orthogenesis, but evolutionists assert that evolution by natural selection is directionless, and so "devolution" is still allegedly evolution.

Misconceptions about evolution

* Species evolve because they need to in order to adapt to environmental changes.

Biologists refer to this misconception as teleology, the idea of intrinsic finality that things are "supposed" to be and behave a certain way, and naturally tend to act that way to pursue their own good. As the fossil record demonstrates that more than ninety nine percent of all species that ever lived are now extinct it is clear that most species do not evolve despite radical environmental changes. From a biological viewpoint, when species evolve it is not a reaction to necessity, but rather that the population contains variations with traits that favour their natural selection.

* Evolution means progress to more advanced organisms.

This presumes that there is somehow a preferred hierarchy of structure and function, for example that "feet are better than hooves" or "lungs are better than gills", and can lead to the idea that change to "less advanced" structure can be called "devolution". To biologists this is an aspect of teleology, the supposition that there is purpose or directive principle in the works and processes of nature. A biologist sees all such changes as evolution, since for the organisms possessing the changed structures, each is a useful adaptation to their circumstances. For example, hooves have advantages for running quickly on plains as horses do, and feet have advantages in climbing trees as the ancestors of humans did.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited December 2010
    if by de-volution you mean extinction then yes.

either evolve or become extinct, same dharma for all species.

open the third eye, get 8 chakras total, enter the path (at least srotapanna)... and what Yuga you are will not matter.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Extinction is about as real as birth and death...
  • edited December 2010
    Puckfist wrote: »
    The conditioning can just as easily provide the child the tools to cast off the conditioned ignorance inherent in its birth. If you are to fault conditioning, you ought not to do so from your now conditioned perspective that conditioning is bad.

If you believe, "the child becomes conditioned, an authority, and destroys the next generation's minds," you must appreciate that, unless you're one of the countless people passing by to assert their enlightenment, you yourself are guilty of this each time you interact in any way with anyone, always.

So you are at a forum called 'advanced' and you have spit at all the 'charlatans' who had something deep and unconditioned and original to say, because even though you are conditioned you always know who else is. Sounds like democracy, not buddhism.

Everything you say tells us you are not aware what Buddha means, and so how do you conclude that he means anything you don't mean, that you are not just as enlightened as he was? Buddha is just a name and Buddhism is most often just a habit of dropping that name.

Humility and urgency.

When does one need humility? When something is very urgent.

And when is something very urgent? When the eyes looking at the world are not conditioned to see the polite images of people, but the people themselves.

Where does your insolence originate? In having all the answers? You have hashish, right, and you're listning to pop music, maybe you have some porn on the telly, some single malt and esperesso next to the bong. These are answers. Buddha didn't have a telly, so he had to become enlightened, but you sure don't. Insolence. Conditioned to consume.

And you think we can be conditioned to consume enlightenment teachings?

What I should do, I expect, is ignore that you post to this forum. We go to a new place and learn who is there, and when it is all words it takes a little longer.
  • edited December 2010
    Based on what?

We're moving swiftly into off-topic, non-sequitur land.

Based on your last few comments, it seems you believe you are in a position to preach/lecture/witness to the poor, benighted souls here. You aren't the first to try this.

Belittling others and encouraging them to avoid 'deep conversation' hardly seems productive. Or kind.

It is counterproductive to invite yourself where you don't belong.
  • edited December 2010
    Wilfred wrote: »
    Surely, evo / devo within the context of six realm, and the processes are terribly non-environmentally friendly as a whole :p

In common parlance, "devolution" is the evolution of a species into more "primitive" forms. From a doctrinaire perspective, devolution does not exist. Lay people may see evolution as "progress", reflecting the ideas of Lamarckism and orthogenesis, but evolutionists assert that evolution by natural selection is directionless, and so "devolution" is still allegedly evolution.

Misconceptions about evolution

* Species evolve because they need to in order to adapt to environmental changes.

Biologists refer to this misconception as teleology, the idea of intrinsic finality that things are "supposed" to be and behave a certain way, and naturally tend to act that way to pursue their own good. As the fossil record demonstrates that more than ninety nine percent of all species that ever lived are now extinct it is clear that most species do not evolve despite radical environmental changes. From a biological viewpoint, when species evolve it is not a reaction to necessity, but rather that the population contains variations with traits that favour their natural selection.

* Evolution means progress to more advanced organisms.

This presumes that there is somehow a preferred hierarchy of structure and function, for example that "feet are better than hooves" or "lungs are better than gills", and can lead to the idea that change to "less advanced" structure can be called "devolution". To biologists this is an aspect of teleology, the supposition that there is purpose or directive principle in the works and processes of nature. A biologist sees all such changes as evolution, since for the organisms possessing the changed structures, each is a useful adaptation to their circumstances. For example, hooves have advantages for running quickly on plains as horses do, and feet have advantages in climbing trees as the ancestors of humans did.

If devolution is also evolution, then the cow has evolved to let the bear kill its young, while the buffalo has not, so that where there are bears it is best to raise buffalo. The people who make this switch to boost profits say the cow has lost its instinct, which is what meditation is about: getting the animal mind back on track, getting good karma instead of bad, bad meaning devoting everyone to hurting each other.

As I was saying in an earlier posting here, evolutuon is not a progress of the best we have ever been, but of the largest set of differences. Intelligence grows as the distances it can cross, social distances. Long ones and many. Just because it isn't at wikipedia doesn't mean you have to ignore it. Does it make perfect sense or no?
  • edited December 2010
    Vincenzi wrote: »
    if by de-volution you mean extinction then yes.

either evolve or become extinct, same dharma for all species.

open the third eye, get 8 chakras total, enter the path (at least srotapanna)... and what Yuga you are will not matter.

Extinction is death. Does death kill? Does a giraffe look like a rodent to you? That's its father, right, by the text-book? But it doesn't worry about how it looks. It is still a leaf-eater spending its time in the treetops. The niche has reincarnated.

Reincarnation is a gift not given to self, like these words are not meant for self, so where is the caring about it? In the other species there is not such a great distance that self is a mortal thing, nor in the child. But in the life of self reincarnation is academic.

So meditation is to find the life that cares, to disqualify self as the person.
  • edited December 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    Extinction is about as real as birth and death...

yes, the big picture
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited December 2010

It's a forum...
    Everyone belongs and everyone's invited. Private messaging is for private discussions.
  • edited December 2010
    You still haven't responded to any of my questions or observations. Now I have more...
    So you are at a forum called 'advanced' and you have spit at all the 'charlatans' who had something deep and unconditioned and original to say, because even though you are conditioned you always know who else is. Sounds like democracy, not buddhism.

He's not 'spitting' at you, he's making some valid observations. It seems that you expect others here to question everyone and everything <i>except</i> what you say.
    Everything you say tells us you are not aware what Buddha means

How, exactly? Or is this yet another gratuitous insult?
    Where does your insolence originate? In having all the answers? You have hashish, right, and you're listning to pop music, maybe you have some porn on the telly, some single malt and esperesso next to the bong. These are answers. Buddha didn't have a telly, so he had to become enlightened, but you sure don't. Insolence. Conditioned to consume.

Strawmanning...completely baseless assumptions.
    And you think we can be conditioned to consume enlightenment teachings?

Did he say that?
    What I should do, I expect, is ignore that you post to this forum. We go to a new place and learn who is there, and when it is all words it takes a little longer.

Actually, when going to a new place, it's generally polite to introduce oneself (in the appropriate thread if there is one, and yes there is one) and to be respectful of the new community, rather than make a handful of demeaning and vague admonitions to others because they are somehow not being 'correct' or 'proper' Buddhists in your estimation.
    The people who make this switch to boost profits say the cow has lost its instinct

People claim domesticated cows have lost their instinct? :lol:
    Just because it isn't at wikipedia doesn't mean you have to ignore it.

Again, an unwarranted assumption.
    Does a giraffe look like a rodent to you? That's its father, right, by the text-book?

An ancestor, possibly. They don't need to look like each other.

So far Tsoanra, I see you following a pattern that has been treaded before:

A new person comes in, belittling and dismissing people with vague and often contradictory posts implying that they--the newbie--are possessed of some superior or secret knowledge which we poor plebes could only hope to comprehend. They make large amounts of <i>ad hominem</i> attacks and do a lot of strawmanning, always finding a reason or way to argue that someone challenging you is ignorant, benighted, and especially (once they really start challenging or questioning your claims) that they aren't worthy of your time.

I can't imagine many people here taking you seriously or as anything other than an annoyance with this attitude. If your attempt to spread or discuss the dharma is earnest (though I am really finding it hard not to suspect deliberate trolling at this point), you should be aware that people generally will be much more likely to dismiss and ignore you than to attach any credibility to your posts. You are doing your cause more harm than good.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2010
    What I should do, I expect, is ignore that you post to this forum.
    That would be preferable over being a jerk.
    It's a forum...
    Everyone belongs and everyone's invited.
    Well stated.
    edited December 2010
    somewhere up in the discussion. enlight'nment?!!!

nirvAna. nothing is lighted, there is no lamp. like where? in the meditators head?!
    ah... needs to do some annotations to Buddhist Cosmology (after tri-translating to/from italian and spanish).
    edited December 2010

in samsAra?
  • edited December 2010
    It's a forum...
    Everyone belongs and everyone's invited. Private messaging is for private discussions.

Why provide a place for every taste, and then ignore your taste when you select a place? Surely if you know you want to heckle you can go where it is welcome, and if you go where it is not you can stop heckling?
  • edited December 2010
    You still haven't responded to any of my questions or observations. Now I have more...

He's not 'spitting' at you, he's making some valid observations. It seems that you expect others here to question everyone and everything except what you say.

How, exactly? Or is this yet another gratuitous insult?

Strawmanning...completely baseless assumptions.

Did he say that?

Actually, when going to a new place, it's generally polite to introduce oneself (in the appropriate thread if there is one, and yes there is one) and to be respectful of the new community, rather than make a handful of demeaning and vague admonitions to others because they are somehow not being 'correct' or 'proper' Buddhists in your estimation.

People claim domesticated cows have lost their instinct? :lol:

Again, an unwarranted assumption.

An ancestor, possibly. They don't need to look like each other.

So far Tsoanra, I see you following a pattern that has been treaded before:

A new person comes in, belittling and dismissing people with vague and often contradictory posts implying that they--the newbie--are possessed of some superior or secret knowledge which we poor plebes could only hope to comprehend. They make large amounts of ad hominem attacks and do a lot of strawmanning, always finding a reason or way to argue that someone challenging you is ignorant, benighted, and especially (once they really start challenging or questioning your claims) that they aren't worthy of your time.

I can't imagine many people here taking you seriously or as anything other than an annoyance with this attitude. If your attempt to spread or discuss the dharma is earnest (though I am really finding it hard not to suspect deliberate trolling at this point), you should be aware that people generally will be much more likely to dismiss and ignore you than to attach any credibility to your posts. You are doing your cause more harm than good.

You are the marvel of a person who actually listens and reads, then? You are undistracted? You are not dividing your attention between the written and what goes on in your head? Between this and music, stimulants, the weapons of superiority?

Accept us, you say. Meaning accept you. There is no meditation of self-acceptance. I don't go anywhere to idolize what you are. Get over yourself, and THEN others may have good cause to get over themselves.

Gangbanging, right? Now you're popular!
  • edited December 2010
    Why provide a place for every taste, and then ignore your taste when you select a place?

You're starting to sound like the Sphinx from <i>Mystery Men</i>.
    Surely if you know you want to heckle you can go where it is welcome, and if you go where it is not you can stop heckling?

Heckling by definition is generally unwelcome.
    You are the marvel of a person who actually listens and reads, then?

It's only a marvel to you because you're seemingly so caught up in the notion of your own superiority. I'm nothing special on that score; just someone who is fortunate enough to be well-educated, and motivated enough to make use of that. There are many others who actually listen and read too, as you will discover if you actually take the time to read posts here.
    You are undistracted? You are not dividing your attention between the written and what goes on in your head? Between this and music, stimulants, the weapons of superiority?

No more so than anyone else...and of course, I need to pay attention to what goes on in my head if I wish to communicate properly, <i>n'est ce-pas</i>?

Also, I don't know what you mean by 'weapons of superiority', and certainly don't consider music, stimulants, or anything else to be (it's not possible to determine from your statement whether music and stimulants <i>are</i> the aforementioned weapons in your view, or if you were simply including the weapons as part of your list). In any case, I have no use for weapons <i>or</i> 'superiority'.

Accept us, you say. Meaning accept you. There is no meditation of self-acceptance.

Meaning to accept me, and everyone else on here. You don't have to agree with or even like everyone on here, just show some basic respect and courtesy. And humility.
    Get over yourself, and THEN others may have good cause to get over themselves.

Follow your own advice. Also, I'm not the newbie barging into a forum and gratuitously insulting others.
    Gangbanging, right? Now you're popular!

Another non sequitur? At least, I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that it is, rather than that you are actually being so crass as to stoop to the level of casting aspersions upon other's sexual practices as yet another form of <i>ad hominem</i> attack.