Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Native American spirituality

JoshuaJoshua Veteran
edited December 2010 in Faith & Religion
Are there correlations between the Great White Spirit of indigenous American beliefs and the Ground Luminosity of Buddhism?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Certainly there are, just as there are some correlations between all faiths/practices. Whether they're directly linked, I don't know. In many Native American forms of spirituality and Shamanism there's the "Mother Gaia" concept - also a unifying oneness between the animate and the inanimate, between animalkind and plantkind.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    valois wrote: »
    Are there correlations between the Great White Spirit of indigenous American beliefs and the Ground Luminosity of Buddhism?

Only if you choose to create them.
    Such distractions are exactly that.
  • edited December 2010
    Native americans are largely shamanic in their beliefs... I can't really say that I know much about their beliefs as they differ from tribe to tribe... But, I'm sure there are plenty of lines that can be drawn between Buddhism and all shamanic beliefs (not just native american).

Spiritual truth is universal... The personification of said truth isn't...
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited December 2010
    valois wrote: »
    there is only one ultimate truth.

so all spiritual practices, who genuinely tries to find it out, are likely to discover it or get close to it.

so they will all more and more begin to believe and say the same things the closer they are from the truth.

All genuine paths leads to the truth; some take longer to get there, some end in dead ends tho.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    How do you mean "all genuine paths lead to the truth"?
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    How do you mean "all genuine paths lead to the truth"?
    im having trouble figuring out how can you not understand what i meant.

can you elaborate a bit please?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    What I mean is how do you define a "genuine path", since you said all genuine paths lead to the truth?
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    What I mean is how do you define a "genuine path", since you said all genuine paths lead to the truth?
    if it leads to the truth then it's genuine :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Alright, just wanted to see what you meant. Thanks.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    What's the "Ground Luminosity"? I don't think there is a "great white Spirit", I suspect that's from TV and movies. Most Native people speak simply about "the Creator", or "Spirit". Possibly the "Great Spirit" concept comes from the Lakota (Sioux), who figured prominently in the old films.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    dakini, It comes from some TV like the movie Brother Bear and I book I'd read from the library once, I don't remember it well, it was about a year ago.

federica, yeah, I'm sort of reverse engineering here to better understand Native American beliefs rather than Buddhist ones because I'm part Cheyenne I'm very curious to draw bridges between the two simply because if I understand Buddhism decently then any bridge I create will greatly facilitate a more genuine understanding.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Hi, Valois. No parrallels in practice or belief come to mind, but there are shared values, such as humility and tolerance towards others who are different in any way, handicapped, etc. There is an acceptance of diversity of all kinds. And a reverence for elders.

Many major cities have a Native American Community House (could go by various names: American Indian Community Center, etc.) where the urban Indian population gathers. The organization provides certain services, is an info clearinghouse, and serves as a social center. If you could find one near you, you could go and begin introducing yourself. You can tell people you're trying to reconnect with your Cheyenne ancestry, and probably they'll welcome you. If you're able to do a little volunteer work for them now and then (ask if you can help in any way--office work, stuffing envelopes, whatever), you'll make a good impression, you'll show you're serious about your Native ancestry (lots of people claim Native ancestry just to be cool), and they'll probably take you under their wing. In this way you can gradually learn about spirituality and other traditions, and you may meet some Cheyennes to learn from.

Do you know what percentage Cheyenne you are?
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Only a sixteenth, but oddly enough I look more like it than my grandmother who is a quarter.

I can't even grow nearly any facial hair! :(
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Do you know if you qualify for tribal membership? The Cherokees accept 1/16, but I think they're exceptional in that. (You need paperwork to prove you qualify.) There are probably books on Cheyenne life that would include spirituality, maybe at your library. Or you could check Amazon, and read as much of the book as you could online (they often let you read sample pages or chapters). Also, do some online research; you may turn up someone's academic paper on the subject. You'd be surprised what you can find online. Giggle "Cheyenne spiritual traditions" or Cheyenne Spirituality. Good luck! :)
  • edited December 2010
    <label for="cite31" class="hide">The North-American Indians: A Sketch of Some of the Hostile Tribes, Together with a Brief Account of General Sheridan's Campaign of 1868 against the Sioux, Cheyenne, Arapahoe, Kiowa, and Comanche Indians</label>
    William Blackmore
    <cite>The Journal of the Ethnological Society of London (1869-1870)</cite>, Vol. 1, No. 3 (1869) p. 307
    The Cheyennes.-The Cheyennes, also called Paikandoos or "Cut-wrists," are described by Catlin as a small tribe about 3000 in number, living as neighbours to the west of the Siouxs, between the Black Hills and the Rocky Mouintains. "There is no finer race of men than these in North America, and none superior in stature, excepting the Osages, there being scarcely a man in the tribe full-grown who is less than six feet in height. They are undoubtedly the richest in horses of any tribe on the continent, living in the country, as they do, where great herds of wild horses are grazing on the prairies, which they catch in great numbers and vend to the Sioux, Mandans, and other tribes, as well as to the fur-traders."

The Indian Messiah
    Author(s): Alice C. FletcherSource: The Journal of American Folklore, Vol. 4, No. 12 (Jan. - Mar., 1891), p. 57
    Down this path walked a figure clad in a robe, and lighter in color than the Indians. He proclaimed himself to be the Son of God whom the white men had crucified, and opened his robe to show his wounds. He was coming, he said, the second time to help the Indians; they must worship him and he would restore to them the game, and there should be no more suffering from hunger, and the dead and the living would be reunited. The white race would disappear; they had done wickedly. Here the Cheyenne awoke.

<label for="cite31" class="hide">The North-American Indians: A Sketch of Some of the Hostile Tribes, Together with a Brief Account of General Sheridan's Campaign of 1868 against the Sioux, Cheyenne, Arapahoe, Kiowa, and Comanche Indians</label>
    William Blackmore
    <cite>The Journal of the Ethnological Society of London (1869-1870)</cite>, Vol. 1, No. 3 (1869) p. 315

These tribes are now confined to a district of country from which the buffalo has almost entirely disappeared, and the smaller game remaining in it is too shy and too fleet to be killed with bows and arrows. If the hunters of these tribes venture into the region of the buffalo, they are liable at any moment to come into contact with the border Indians, the Osages, Delawares, and others, who claim as their own bunting-grounds all the lands over which the buffalo now roams. When such meetings occur, sanguinary fights are sure to follow, in which the border Indian, owing to the superiority of his arms, and his skill in the use of them, is sure to be the victor.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    ;) thank you for typing that all out.

I am certainly not six feet tall, a meager 5'9'' rather, though unusually broad and oddly enough with fine dirty blond hair very similar to Scandinavian hair. I fear the Cheyenne may think me strange if I popped up claiming ancestral decent, especially from Indiana. Though fortunately I'm quite tan with subtly "squinty" eyes. One day I ought to show up though.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    You'd be surprised, Valois. The Native American community (speaking generally) is long accustomed to members who are blond and look more like members of the dominant society. Lots of 1/4 Native-blood people are like that, and are enrolled members of their tribe. The key is whether or not someone grew up with the traditions at least to some extent (learning from a grandmother, for example), and if not, then sincerity in wanting to learn is appreciated. No one will think you strange. I hope you do, someday, find it in you to just "pop up". :)
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Yes!

I've always adored the name Vaiveahtoish--He Who Alights on the Clouds.

You think they'll let me have it? It will totally convince me to go...
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    You don't get to pick your name, if you even get a name. Names can be given spontaneously, or sometimes after a ceremony, but the main thing would be to get to know the culture and the people first, and bide your time. A good way to start putting your toe in the water, so to speak, would be if there are pow-wows in a city or on a rez somewhere in your area. These events are open to the general public, and it can be a good way to start getting acquainted with the culture, and to start meeting people.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that if you really love the name, you could go through a legal procedure for an official name change, and add it as a middle name to your existing legal name. But probably it's best to remain open to the spontaneity of someday receiving a name that you might like even better, because it suits you in some special way.

In the meantime, maybe you can find books on Cheyenne history and spirituality to begin your journey of discovery of your heritage. :)
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Dakini wrote: »
    You don't get to pick your name, if you even get a name. Names can be given spontaneously, or sometimes after a ceremony, but the main thing would be to get to know the culture and the people first, and bide your time. A good way to start putting your toe in the water, so to speak, would be if there are pow-wows in a city or on a rez somewhere in your area. These events are open to the general public, and it can be a good way to start getting acquainted with the culture, and to start meeting people.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that if you really love the name, you could go through a legal procedure for an official name change, and add it as a middle name to your existing legal name. But probably it's best to remain open to the spontaneity of someday receiving a name that you might like even better, because it suits you in some special way.

In the meantime, maybe you can find books on Cheyenne history and spirituality to begin your journey of discovery of your heritage. :)

Yeah.

How do you know so much about this?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I've been working with the Native American community on and off for about 20 yrs., and before that I began by going to pow-wows and hanging around Native organizations, getting to know people, and just observing and listening. At the same time, I was doing an M.A. program in Native American Studies. That was interesting, because I was usually the only non-Native in class, so I learned a lot just by listening to the other students share experiences. Quietly observing and listening, I think, is the best approach, at first. But since you have Native heritage, you're in a slightly different position than I.
  • edited December 2010
    There is much to learn from other paths but unless the view is of impermanence and anatta then suffering will eventually return.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    By the way, Valois, I didn't get an answer to my question in the beginning, "What is the Ground Luminosity". I've never heard of that.
  • edited December 2010
    By the way, Valois, I didn't get an answer to my question in the beginning, "What is the Ground Luminosity". I've never heard of that.

Probably means tathagatagharba or alaya-vijnana or dharmakaya:
    But if one cannot achieve such ultimate attainment within a lifetime, then there is still the possibility of achieving enlightenment at the time of death. If our teacher or a close Dharma brother is near to us at the very moment of our death, he will remind us of the instructions—the introduction to the nature of mind. If we can recall our experience of practice and remain in this nature, then we achieve realization. It is then possible to depart to a buddha field straightaway with no intermediate state. If this is not accomplished, then the Bardo of the Absolute Nature, or Dharmata, will arise. At this time the Ground Luminosity of the Dharmakaya will appear. If one can unite the Ground Luminosity (Mother Luminosity) with the Luminosity which one has recognized whilst practising during one’s lifetime (Child Luminosity), then one will be liberated into the Dharmakaya. Dzogchen
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Thanks, Upalabhava. So....I don't mean to be obnoxious, but...what, then, is the Mother Luminosity and the Child Luminosity? Are these concepts exclusive to Dzogchen?
  • edited December 2010
    Thanks, Upalabhava. So....I don't mean to be obnoxious, but...what, then, is the Mother Luminosity and the Child Luminosity? Are these concepts exclusive to Dzogchen?
    It seems to be a common metaphor in many traditions. I am not familiar with Dzogchen, but I am familiar with Daoist internal alchemy which describes the transmutation of lead into gold similarly.

It deals with 2 minds. We can call them 'mind of Man' and 'mind of Dao'.
    The science of the elixir of restoration is simply to take the two medicinal materials, red cinnabar and black lead, and forge them into a jewel, with which to extend the life of the essence. The cinnabar is the energy of open consciousness within fire ☲; this is conscious knowledge, which is the realm of the human mind. The lead is the energy of firm rectitude within water ☵; this is real knowledge, which is in the province of the mind of Tao.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    For me ground luminosity is a concept I read about in The Tibetan Book of the Living in Dying; and for your sake as well as mine I will try to pull that book out this afternoon (as it is 1:30am here, after I wake up, after my yet sleep to come, and take care of personal business of course) and then, pending on my typical laziness, I should be able to supply a decent in depth reply according to Sogyal Rinpoche's understanding.

In succinct, it is something like the subtlest body of consciousness, I think with correlations to the white light of bardo. Though I am prone to error, as I have the misfortune of projecting my existentialistic philosophies of a cosmic consciousness into everything Buddhist which never fails to dilute the intended meaning.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    upalabhava wrote: »
    It seems to be a common metaphor in many traditions. I am not familiar with Dzogchen, but I am familiar with Daoist internal alchemy which describes the transmutation of lead into gold similarly.

It deals with 2 minds. We can call them 'mind of Man' and 'mind of Dao'.
    The science of the elixir of restoration is simply to take the two medicinal materials, red cinnabar and black lead, and forge them into a jewel, with which to extend the life of the essence. The cinnabar is the energy of open consciousness within fire ☲; this is conscious knowledge, which is the realm of the human mind. The lead is the energy of firm rectitude within water ☵; this is real knowledge, which is in the province of the mind of Tao.

Erm, off topic though entirely necessary--at some point in your life, Upala, would you have ever identified yourself as being Taoist? Or would you simply chalk it up to one and the same truth, that a true Taoist or Buddhist wouldn't identify themselves with, as you would say--dualistic, linguistic qualifiers (if that makes some degree of sense)?
  • edited December 2010
    Sure. Daoism and Buddhism aren't so different. See, Ch'an.

Daoism, imo, is more playful and more accepting of the physical. Buddhism (generally) seems more rule-oriented than Daoism too. The Daoist does nothing yet nothing remains undone; the Buddhist anxiously worries whenever he breaks a vow. The Daoist knows rules will inevitably be broken thus doesn't make them.

There is probably a perennial philosophy of which Buddhism and Daoism are both.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010

Daoism, imo, is more playful and more accepting of the physical. Buddhism (generally) seems more rule-oriented than Daoism too. The Daoist does nothing yet nothing remains undone; the Buddhist anxiously worries whenever he breaks a vow. The Daoist knows rules will inevitably be broken thus doesn't make them.

Aha, so my suspicions were true. Well thank you Upala, a thread within a thread and I feel very informed yet again.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I've always been interested in Daoism, it's so similar to much of Buddhism, yet different. Thanks, Upala. (Frankly, I hadn't noticed Buddhist monks worrying when they break a vow...) Where do you study?

I think I have a good enough picture, Valois. But if you do find any more info, pls feel free to post it. (Interesting direction this thread has taken...it's ok by me! :) )
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, different direction, but I love this subject so it's all good for me too.

Well, I don't have to post it, unless I find something paramount towards comprehension, it's for me too like I said, when I read the book I was ignorantly biting off more than I could chew since I was a newbie at Buddhism in general let alone the sometimes profound Tibetan teachings Sogyal elucidated that hopefully I could now begin to comprehend and appreciate.

I don't think I know much about Taoism itself, outside of random verses that Upala loves to send me and a few wiki articles I've read, most of my comprehension is through projecting Buddhism onto it and then finding points of departure. I think the vows distinction he made is more in light of the fact that Taoism (at least pure Taoism), has no real vows at all. It'd be like describing the nature of dharma and bodhicitta or some such to a Buddhist-to-be in a Dhammapada sized package and letting them figure out the rest intuitively as personalized through empirical self-enlightenment.
  • edited December 2010

Doaism and Confucism are both incorporated into Chinese Buddhism to allow people to accept the practice.
  • edited December 2010
    I've always been interested in Daoism, it's so similar to much of Buddhism, yet different. Thanks, Upala. (Frankly, I hadn't noticed Buddhist monks worrying when they bread a vow...) Where do you study?

I was just trying to explain a personal distinction really. I think that it is easy to think or imagine that I fail to live up to the practice of the vows and the perfections and the like, and this can result in anxiety and disappointment.

Daoism seems more forgiving in this regard.

This, of course, generalizes Daoism to a great extreme; Daoism has varieties just like Buddhism. One distinction could be made between daojia and daochiao. Daojia would be the philosophical version, focused on the writings of Laozi, Zhuangzi, etc. This philosophy inspired the scientists and materialists of the time and was responsible for a lot of Chinese technological advancement. The philosophy was also codified into religion (daochiao) with its temples and elaborate rituals -- silliness like the Celestial Bureaucracy that the 3 worms in your belly visit once a month to report your sins; silliness like abstaining from grain to kill off those worms.

It is so easy to see the distinction between jia and chiao within Daoism, but surely the distinction can be found in almost all religions.

I studied religions at Uni and work in a large library. I'm a bit of a Sinophile.

Ch'an_noob wrote: »
    Doaism and Confucism are both incorporated into Chinese Buddhism to allow people to accept the practice.

Yes. Though I think it might be even more correct to say that Daoism and Confucianism are incorporated (literally, it is part of their body, their being) in the Chinese people and that it was unavoidable that this unique zhongguoren-ness expressed itself through whatever new religion entered the picture. Chinese society, for example, does not have the sunyasin tradition of India, so monks have to be self-sufficient in this regard, they cannot beg for their food in China. (Or so I have read.)

China does have a tradition of forest hermits but they don't go begging. People with "empty bowls" beg from them!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    How are the monks able to be self-sufficient? And I'm interested in the no-rules thing; if there are no rules, how is monkhood defined? I've arrived at the conclusion that if in some traditions, vows are broken regularly, then why have vows? Why not secularize the monasteries? So I'm interested in how Taoism handles this. I'm enjoying this digression, I must admit. If Valois doesn't mind, I'm hoping you'll stick with us awhile, Upala.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    How are the monks able to be self-sufficient? And I'm interested in the no-rules thing; if there are no rules, how is monkhood defined? I've arrived at the conclusion that if in some traditions, vows are broken regularly, then why have vows? Why not secularize the monasteries? So I'm interested in how Taoism handles this. I'm enjoying this digression, I must admit. If Valois doesn't mind, I'm hoping you'll stick with us awhile, Upala.

Nah, hell, I want to learn about Taoism too.
  • edited December 2010
    How are the monks able to be self-sufficient?

When Buddhism came to China it had to deal with Confucianism, which upholds filial piety as the ultimate virtue and duty. This means that Chinese society was not very accepting of the idea of (younger) people renouncing the household. Many looked at the new Chinese Buddhist monastics as being no more than free-loaders.
    Chu Hsi regarded the Buddhist way as harmful to the morality of mankind. He pointed out that the Buddhists "renounce the family to attend to their own virtue in solitude. This shows they are different in substance from the way...." His advice was that "a student should forthwith get as far away from Buddhist doctrines as from licentious songs and beautiful women. Otherwise they will soon infiltrate him." URL="http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/JR-JOCP/chung2.htm"]1[/URL
    Thus the traditional Indian system of Buddhist monasticism had to adapt drastically to the new social environment.
    The most obvious instances of this were the increased economic activities of the Buddhist monasteries in China and Japan and the acceptance of monk labor in the Ch'an/ Zen school.

[...]

These new forms could be seen most clearly in various commercial activities of Chinese temples which had not existed in Indian Mahāyāna, such as grain milling, oil seed pressing, money lending, pawnshops, loans of grain to peasants (with interest), mutual financing associations, hotels and hostelries, and rental of temple lands to farmers in exchange for some percentage of the crop. In other areas, Chinese temples carried over previously existing Indian Mahāyāna commercial practices such as loans (with interest) against pledges, auction sales of clothing and fabrics, use of lay servants within the monastery to carry out commercial transactions on behalf of the sangha, and allowing goods donated to the sangha which were not used by the monks to be sold or loaned out to earn profits for the sangha. Even in these practices which were carryovers from India, however, new forms developed in China as monks came to be allowed to handle gold and silver and carry out commercial transactions including usury on an individual basis. In most cases such transformations were less a result of changes in the Indian Vinaya than a disregarding of it in practice in China. URL="http://www.buddhistethics.org/3/ornatow1.html"]2[/URL

Thus, in Chinese Buddhism, monasteries became more self-sufficient. URL="http://www.buddhismandwork.com/Managing_Mindfully/BUDDHA-CH2.htm"]3[/URL
    And I'm interested in the no-rules thing; if there are no rules, how is monkhood defined?

I wasn't implying that Chinese Buddhist or Daoist monks or nuns lack rules guiding their conduct. I was referring to the (pre-Religious, pre-daochiao) ideal of what a Real Person is. Daoist monasticism has, I assume, just as many rules as Buddhist monasticism. If you are interested in that, I recommend Livia Kohn's translation of the Fengdao kejie (Rules and precepts for Daoist observance).

I find the idea of Daoist 'rules and precepts' to be laughably absurd though. The Daodejing says this much of morality:
    When the Tao is lost, there is goodness.
    When goodness is lost, there is morality.
    When morality is lost, there is ritual.
    Ritual is the husk of true faith,
    the beginning of chaos. URL="http://acc6.its.brooklyn.cuny.edu/%7Ephalsall/texts/taote-v3.html#38"]4[/URL
    This is why I find Daochiao to be such a perversion of Daojia. I don't think the same can be said of Buddhism, as the Buddha actually founded a religion. (I'm sure one could find examples of the corruption/transformation of the 'original' Buddhist monasticism easily enough.) But Daoism doesn't have a central figure like that; Laozi wrote a book and left for the wilderness.

But I was expressing a disposition for the ideal of the True Man, the Mountain Man and not the Monk.
    There must first be a True Man before there can be true knowledge. What do I mean by a True Man? The True Man of ancient times did not rebel against want, did not grow proud in plenty, and did not plan his affairs. A man like this could commit an error and not regret it, could meet with success and not make a show. A man like this could climb the high places and not be frightened, could enter the water and not get wet, could enter the fire and not get burned. His knowledge was able to climb all the way up to the Way like this. The True Man of ancient times slept without dreaming and woke without care; he ate without savoring and his breath came from deep inside. The True Man breathes with his heels; the mass of men breathe with their throats. Crushed and bound down, they gasp out their words as though they were retching. Deep in their passions and desires, they are shallow in the workings of Heaven. The True Man of ancient times knew nothing of loving life, knew nothing of hating death. He emerged without delight; he went back in without a fuss. He came briskly, he went briskly, and that was all. He didn't forget where he began; he didn't try to find out where he would end. He received something and took pleasure in it; he forgot about it and handed it back again. This is what I call not using the mind to repel the Way, not using man to help out Heaven. This is what I call the True Man. … This was the True Man of old: his bearing was lofty and did not crumble; he appeared to lack but accepted nothing; he was dignified in his correctness but not insistent; he was vast in his emptiness but not ostentatious. Mild and cheerful, he seemed to be happy; reluctant, he could not help doing certain things; annoyed, he let it show in his face; relaxed, he rested in his virtue. Tolerant, he seemed to be part of the world; towering alone, he could be checked by nothing; withdrawn, he seemed to prefer to cut himself off; bemused, he forgot what he was going to say. … Therefore his liking was one and his not liking was one. His being one was one and his not being one was one. In being one, he was acting as a companion of Heaven. In not being one, he was acting as a companion of man. When man and Heaven do not defeat each other, then we may be said to have the True Man. [wiki]
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Fascinating. Thank you, Upala. And I've learned that it is, indeed, best to put comments such as your paranthetical one above, in small pring on this website. ;)
    And thanks for taking the time to type all this out. You said, though, that the Taoist monks/nuns know that rules will be broken. So...are they more flexible? How does that work? Actually, from what I've read, the rules aren't applied in other Buddhist traditions; I've never heard of anyone being excommunicated, even though "stuff" happens regularly.
  • edited December 2010
    You said, though, that the Taoist monks/nuns know that rules will be broken. So...are they more flexible? How does that work?

I meant the pre-religious Daoists, 'Daoists' before there was a religion of that name, not the monks and nuns. It is my personal opinion that the religion Daoism is practically an affront to the philosophy of Laozi and Zhuangzi.

Laozi knew (as I quoted ch. 38 of the ddj above) that once morality has arisen, once the codes are written, then the Dao has been lost already. If there is a thought of this is good to do and this is forbidden, then the Dao is already lost. I guess the religion Daoism could be a way to return to the Dao (as could any religion really) but it goes about it in a very silly way, IMO.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    OK, Upala. So far so good, I think. So are you saying that you follow a Daoist path that precedes the formal Daoist religion? I've studied a little Daoism, but I've never heard of these different paths within it. This is new to me. (Sorry if I seem a bit slow.)
  • edited December 2010
    'What your servant loves is the method of the Dao, something in advance of any art. When I first began to cut up an ox, I saw nothing but the (entire) carcase. After three years I ceased to see it as a whole. Now I deal with it in a spirit-like manner, and do not look at it with my eyes. The use of my senses is discarded, and my spirit acts as it wills. Observing the natural lines, (my knife) slips through the great crevices and slides through the great cavities, taking advantage of the facilities thus presented. My art avoids the membranous ligatures, and much more the great bones. A good cook changes his knife every year; (it may have been injured) in cutting - an ordinary cook changes his every month - (it may have been) broken. Now my knife has been in use for nineteen years; it has cut up several thousand oxen, and yet its edge is as sharp as if it had newly come from the whetstone. ctext.org

(Sorry if I seem a bit slow.)

Everyone should start with the dao de jing. It's even included in Goddard's Buddhist Bible.

dao - it's a pictograph of that L-like [a step] and the 3-barred [face with hair on top]. Some say the face is the moon.

de - [straight] + URL="http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/core9/phalsall/texts/taote-v3.html#1"]heart[/URL + [steps] or 'virtuosity'. A skillful path, one straight from the heart.

jing - [threads twisted together] + [river under the surface] or 'scripture'.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Love it! I studied Chinese years ago, but the characters are impossible to remember, unless you practice regularly. but I get how they work, generally.
    So...are you a Daoist on a Buddhist website? (I won't tell, if you won't. ;) )
  • edited December 2010
    Couldn't you be both? Look at Zen. Though, I'm not sayin' I'm zen...

Most of us have lost the dao is Laozi's point, imo. To get it back he says you must let go. Some let themselves go qua Buddhism, some let themselves qua other Isms. But we all try to let go, to loosen those knots. Or we might even realize that the knots are our best feature. The warped old tree is not selected by the lumberjack, you know what I mean?
  • edited December 2010
    I agree; one can be both. I'm not sure that would stand up to a vote on this site, but that's how I feel about it. "Letting go" = non-attachment, as the Buddhists say. Great "stealth" thread topic, BTW.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Yes, there's so much like that that's similar between the two. I'm inspired to study Taoism, if for no other reason, than as a comparative study. Starting with the test Upala recommended. maybe sometime down the line we can start a bona-fide Taoist thread, or one doing a comparative analysis between Taoism and Buddhism. Or....hey, Upala,,,,,maybe someday starting a Taoist chat site?

Thanks to Valois for loaning us her thread. :)
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Yes, there's so much like that that's similar between the two. I'm inspired to study Taoism, if for no other reason, than as a comparative study. Starting with the test Upala recommended. maybe sometime down the line we can start a bona-fide Taoist thread, or one doing a comparative analysis between Taoism and Buddhism. Or....hey, Upala,,,,,maybe someday starting a Taoist chat site?

Thanks to Valois for loaning us her thread. :)

Hehe, I'll be doing such comparative studies alongside you, at leisure I might add. I hope to have such a thread myself, and since I learn most through debate and discussion it will be sooner than later if nobody does it before me.

And Dakini, I believe you have my anatomy wrong! :)

Was it the name perhaps? It's pronounced like Valwah, if perhaps you had a Louis-y sort of take, or if I appear androgynous, hm, that's disconcerting.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    OOPS! No, well, actually at the very first, when you were new on the site, I thought your were female. But during our discussion on this thread, I figured out your true identity. The "her" must've been a typo. :o (I can't believe they don't have a "blushing" emoticon!)

Moving right along...I'll be looking forward to your new thread.

P.S. Yes, I got the pronunciation right away. It's from French.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Ah good, my girlfriend suggested that it might have sounded like Louis when we were laughing about it! ;)

Can I please press it a bit further, out of good humour of course, I can certainly be very feminine in real life, but why did you think I was womanly at first take? (It's something my friends have joked about a lot and that I joke about with them.)
  • edited December 2010
    Many of the natives who's faces resemble the faces of the easterners we fought not too long ago so when the king granted the charter to come and slaughter as many injun natives of the new world I was thrilled to pick up my rifle again and hit something I recognized so easily. Ya not five months later did me and my cabal of killers take up the great murder of those others saw as heathen or in the way, hell I didn't need such an excuse just a "go" command and my bullets would find a home for them. Let the pppreeeestss burn there religious crap I and my associates were paid just to kill and boy we did it with speed and efficiantcy that I expect in a year the whole east to the missipi will be lacking in what they termed "injun" what I secretly call another to kill. - suppose the colonists that follow us behind wouldn't be so thanking of us if they knew our true faces but a mans got a job to do cuss they given out like water on a rainy day! I even hear their shamans scream out one of the old names for me and my men as we take down their children and women after their warriors have been taken by our time constrained weapons. HA hearing those old terms bring back so many mixed feelings that I often order their shamens taken last just so I can go up to them with pistol in my hand and hold it square in their face "so you can see huh?" Would be my question each time. A nod and often in their vocal style a question why do we accept our evil gifts with such relish when we had choices to implement our special abilities beyond the normal man. "Sir" I'd reply, "killing because we can is what feeds us now that our home is with you hairy lot. I would never consider another way I assure you cuss the worlds gorna need us like it has from the beginning!" And then I'd plant a bullet right there between his eyes.

I can't continue on that I just needed to let out what we all know happened a bit.