Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The permanence of impermanence

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
As a person in the elementary stages of the study of Buddhism, I have of course been introduced to the concept of impermanence. The idea of an ever-changing world is not too hard to grasp due to the fact that as humans, whether Buddhists or not we experience this phenomenon everyday. My question is as follows: What effect does impermanence have on Nirvana, Buddhism and most importantly, impermanence itself? If impermanence is indeed impermanent, does this mean that permanence can occur, and since permanence would also then be impermanent, are we trapped in ever looping cycles of permanence and impermanence? Thank you in advance for your thoughts regarding this question.

Comments

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I may need a drink if I think about this too much! But at least it'll be impermanent. Won't it?
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Buddhism says all conditioned phenomena are impermanent. Since nirvana is not a conditioned phenomenon (at least according to Abhidharma) it does not fall under this rule. Impermanence is a concept, not a phenomenon. It is neither impermanent or permanent.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Conditional phenomenon are impermanent. Because they are impermanent there is nothing to hold onto. As we get comfortable with that we become more calm which allows us to see the impermanent nature more clearly. Which is a virtuous cycle because when we see clearly we get more daring.

Though the first step to seeing clearly is fear. And sometimes revulsion. But then those things we need to see and examine their root.

You say you obviously see that things are impermanent and it is true but we have a lot of attachment to things and defensiveness, so in a sense it is not true.

Its like you might say impermanence. Got that. Now why do I still suffer? Wellllll if you got that then why do you suffer? And the answer is that you don't really have that realization deepened and stabilized. I am in the same boat as you :o
  • edited December 2010
    jinzang wrote: »
    Buddhism says all conditioned phenomena are impermanent. Since nirvana is not a conditioned phenomenon (at least according to Abhidharma) it does not fall under this rule. Impermanence is a concept, not a phenomenon. It is neither impermanent or permanent.

I think this covers it. Word, jinzang.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    There are the laws (Dharma), and then there are the transient formations that are conditioned by the Dharma. Impermanence is Dharma; No-Self is Dharma; Karma is Dharma.

The Dharma does not apply to the Dharma, only to that which is conditioned; form and mind.

Namaste
  • edited December 2010
    Wow!! That got some responses! Apologies for not expressing myself more clearly - I realize that I have a lot to learn about impermanence, I was merely trying to express (apparently unsuccessfully) that during my time on earth, I have noticed that in many instances, conditioned phenomena are neither static nor what they appear to be at first glance. Thanks for your insights and continued assistance.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I was merely trying to express (apparently unsuccessfully) that during my time on earth, I have noticed that in many instances, conditioned phenomena are neither static nor what they appear to be at first glance.
    That is "no self" (Anatta) as well as impermanence (Anicca). All things are a part of something else, and contain many parts, just as we are only the aggregates of body, consciousness, perceptions, feelings, and mental formations (thought).

What we learn is that the only true nature we can ascribe to anything we experience... are these laws of nature, this Dharma. All things are impermanent, interdependent & not having a separate self, and arise/change/fall based upon conditionality (Karma). As these are the nature of all phenomena, any grasping or clinging leads to dissatisfaction/suffering (Dukkha) because it is in opposition to reality.

Our freedom lies in following the path to see these things as true for ourselves, to let go of our attachments and become a force of compassion and wisdom in this world to alleviate the suffering of others. That's Buddhism in a nutshell.
  • edited December 2010
    Well stated, Cloud. Your explanation has given me much to consider. Perhaps I am "philosophizing" too much and adding needless layers of complications and questions to concepts that you have stated quite succinctly. I truly appreciate everyones input and patience. The simple beauty of what you all have shared has served to enhance this fascinating journey that I have embarked upon.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Clouds you said it as I was trying to. :p
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    It helps tremendously that we're all trying to help together; sometimes it just takes a different combination of words for understanding to arise! :) Many keys on a key-ring. We'll inevitably try several keys before we find the correct one. Next door, search through the keys again...
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Also something to add in response to one of the earlier posts... Nirvana is also Dharma. It's not something that you can "have" or an "experience", it's not a "place" or a "thing" or even a "state of being"; it's a reality the same as Impermanence, and can only be "realized" not attained or achieved.

This is why Nirvana is unconditioned, because it is not phenomena. It is truth.

One who realizes Nirvana remains subject to the Dharma, but has penetrated the Four Noble Truths and has broken the chain of Dependent Origination that causes the rebirth of unwholesome states. This being experiences a freedom and ease-of-mind that has no parallel in the worldly life of the unawakened.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Oh I said the right key.... but you had to be the right jackle to hear me...

Don't give us too much nirvana at once. Bub. That is all........
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    That's more or less what I said. :) We can say what is right and what is true, but whether it is understood depends upon who hears it. The Buddha had this remarkable ability to be able to say just the right thing so that he was always understood, as if he could see the thought processes going through another's mind. Failing being Buddhas, we just have to explain to the best of our ability and hope to be understood!
  • edited December 2010
    Nothing lasts forever everything else is transient.
    Love your thinking brother. Really great question.. Paradox makes sense as long as you understand irrationality. The logical mind is baffled by nonsense (non sense) but it is nonsense that ones soul understands<3
  • edited December 2010
    Impermanence IS impermanent... The permanence in the midst of impermanence is Nirvana... :) :om:
  • hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I believe buddha was still subject to impermanence after attaining nirvana.
    But he observed it with detachment and wisdom.
  • edited December 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    I may need a drink if I think about this too much! But at least it'll be impermanent. Won't it?

LOL,
    but yea, I'd think of it as, impermanence is an idea, not a thing.
    and great question OP.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Impermanence is not impermanent, it is true of all things in all possible worlds at all possible times:)

Namaste
  • nlightennlighten Explorer
    edited December 2010
    Like other people have said impermanence and permanence are just concepts made by the discriminating mind. To get past these dual concepts and understand a concept like nirvana you have to understand non-duality or emptiness. For example, if you make the distinction of there being an up, then that automatically makes the concept of down. But this is like an illusion, because it depends on the concept of subject and object. The concept only works because there is perciever or the idea of a perciever.
    edited December 2010
    nlighten wrote: »
    Like other people have said impermanence and permanence are just concepts made by the discriminating mind.

Again, I don't think so. This is a cornerstone of Dharma, I remain mystified as to why this point is debated:)

For example, if you make the distinction of there being an up, then that automatically makes the concept of down.

That is a perceptival relation, annica and anataman are not. The distinction is crucial.
    But this is like an illusion, because it depends on the concept of subject and object. The concept only works because there is perciever or the idea of a perciever.

Agree in the case of up and down and me and them, they are illusions of perspective. the Three marks are wholly different to this though, they are prior to any perceiver.

This point is where all dharma paths start, surely?

namaste
    edited December 2010
    "That is a perceptival relation, annica and anataman are not. The distinction is crucial."

Dualistic concepts take many forms including perceptival ones.But, the point I was trying to make is that all dualistic concepts are illusion. This is important to understand in order to understand emptiness and nirvana.

[SIZE=+1]36.1 Conditional existence of Buddhas[/SIZE]
    In his Enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree, Shakyamuni discovered the universal truths, one of which was the Law of Dependent Origination.

When this is, that is
      This arising, that arises
      When this is not, that is not
      This ceasing, that ceases.

Also ...
      The Diamond Sutra

http://community.palouse.net/lotus/diamondsutra.htm
        edited December 2010
        "That is a perceptival relation, annica and anataman are not. The distinction is crucial."

Dualistic concepts take many forms including perceptival ones.But, the point I was trying to make is that all dualistic concepts are illusion. This is important to understand in order to understand emptiness

Where is the dualism though? Annica and Anataman are not dualistic, are they? They are structural, simple and foundational.
        and nirvana.

I dont see the connection. Is nirvana magic or freedom from suffering, views, attachments...?

In his Enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree, Shakyamuni discovered the universal truths, one of which was the Law of Dependent Origination.

When this is, that is
          This arising, that arises
          When this is not, that is not
          This ceasing, that ceases.

Yes, but this is higher in abstraction than annica and anataman, this is where dukka begins, with interdependent causation.

You can think of the three marks as being the three first truths of three kinds of reaslity:

the structural reality - anataman.
          the dynamic reality - annica
          the causal reality - dukka

does that make sense?:)

namaste?
          edited December 2010
          http://www.unspeakabletruth.net/Anatta/encyclopedia.htm
          You must empty your minds of opinions, then you will see. Our practice goes beyond cleverness and beyond stupidity. If you think;"I am clever, I am wealthy, I am important, I understand all about Buddhism."; You cover up the truth of anatta or no-self. All you will see is self, I, mine. But Buddhism is letting go of self. Voidness, Emptiness, Nibbana.<sup id="cite_ref-buddhanet.net_75-0">[76]</sup>
          However both he and Ajahn Maha Boowa state that for an enlightened being, there is neither self nor not-self. Ajahn Chah states: "Really, in the end there is neither atta nor anatta."<sup id="cite_ref-buddhanet.net_75-1">[76]</sup>
          Ajahn Maha Boowa makes a similar point. He states:
          Atta and anatta are dhammas that are paired off together until the ultimate limit of the mundane relative world (samutti) - until the citta is free from the kilesas and has become a special citta. Atta and anatta then disappear of themselves and there is no need to drive either of them out, for there is just the entirely pure citta, which is eka-citta, eka-dhamma - no further duality with anything. The word anatta is a factor of the Ti-lakkhana [the Three marks of existence]. Those who aim for purity, freedom and Nibbana should contemplate anicca, dukkha, and anatta until they see and understand all three Ti-lakkhana clearly. Then it may be said that the citta has "gone well free". Nibbana, however, is not anatta. How can you force it to be anatta, which is one of the Ti-lakkhana, and therefore part of the path for getting to Nibbana?"<sup id="cite_ref-76">[77]</sup>
          Thanissaro Bhikkhu, a scholar-monk trained in the Thai Forest Tradition, clarifies that in the early texts, the anatta teaching is a teaching device to assist the practitioner in reaching the final goal, which lies altogether outside the realm of "self" or "not-self".<sup id="cite_ref-77">[78]</sup>
          <sup id="cite_ref-buddhanet.net_75-0"></sup>
          edited December 2010
          You must empty your minds of opinions, then you will see. Our practice goes beyond cleverness and beyond stupidity. If you think;"I am clever, I am wealthy, I am important, I understand all about Buddhism."

Let us not confuse deep and dilligent practice with foundational dharma truths.

Let us also be mindful that the buddha tells us he has nothing hidden up his sleeve.

And, we should place the four noble truths always before the commentators un buddhism, however wise etc they may be.
          edited December 2010
          "You must empty your minds of opinions, then you will see" :)
          edited December 2010
          The Shoveller: I know this guy. Big crime-fighter from down South. Big-league hitter down there.
          Mr. Furious: What's his power?
          The Blue Raja: Well, he's terribly mysterious.
          Mr. Furious: [dismissively] That's it? That's his power? He's mysterious?
          The Blue Raja: Well, TERRIBLY mysterious.
          The Shoveller: Plus he can, like, cut guns in half with his mind.

;)
          "You must empty your minds of opinions, then you will see" :)

You know, I have had this kind of response a fair few times over the years. Part of me thinks its a cop-out. Part of me thinks it's often entirley bogus.

But part of me think's in some cases its absolutely valid, for example, were I to be "putting-down" meditation or the life of Right Action, I think such retorts are wise and valid.

However, in the case of the three foundational marks of all existent things, which can be stated clearly and seen by all, your response has no meaning I can discern. Moreover, your response suggests to me you should look at these truths in isolation from your own prior-views. They come before views, before experience.

If you can tell me why you should not do this, or why I am mistaken here, I would gladly listen. But be mindful you do not belittle the profound significance of the Three Seals with responses better suited to the nudity of emperors.

Let's keep Dharma Simple;)

namaste