Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism simply a means to an end?

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Today
Buddhism's goal, as far as I can see, is to end suffering. This is done by meditation, generally, which changes one's mind/brain.

If technology were to progress to the state where you could manipulate your own consciousness, wouldn't this be a much more efficient path to enlightenment?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Of course. Anything is more efficient when you manipulate the source directly.
  • edited December 2010
    Epicurus wrote: »
    Of course. Anything is more efficient when you manipulate the source directly.

Might I say, then, that a wise use of my life would be to bring this technology about? :)
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited December 2010
    voyaging wrote: »
    Buddhism's goal, as far as I can see, is to end suffering. This is done by meditation, generally, which changes one's mind/brain.

If technology were to progress to the state where you could manipulate your own consciousness, wouldn't this be a much more efficient path to enlightenment?
    you are manipulating your consciousness, and your subconscious mind directly in deep meditation.
  • edited December 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    you are manipulating your consciousness, and your subconscious mind directly in deep meditation.

Understood, but it is also a very gradual and time consuming process. Wouldn't instant results be preferred, if physically possible?
  • edited December 2010
    Personally, I don't think instant results would be preferred. The journey, not the destination, is the important bit.

I've flown on an airplane to Florida in 6 hours, and I've ridden my motorcycle to Florida over three weeks. I grew and learned much more from the three week journey than from the 6 hour one.

So:
    it is also a very gradual and time consuming process

Yes, exactly. :)
  • edited December 2010

Technology is progressed from living beings conscious mind, unless it is developed from a meditative mind. Even if it is so, it still a prerequisite for the conscious mind to tune into meditative mind in order to be achieved the state of natural "manipulation" :)
  • edited December 2010
    zenbiker wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think instant results would be preferred. The journey, not the destination, is the important bit.

I've flown on an airplane to Florida in 6 hours, and I've ridden my motorcycle to Florida over three weeks. I grew and learned much more from the three week journey than from the 6 hour one.

So:

Yes, exactly. :)

I wholeheartedly agree that not everything is best in the shortest time possible.

But when it comes to eliminating suffering for humanity and all sentient beings, it definitely is.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    We don't even understand the mind well enough as a species to all awaken, much less invent technology to properly manipulate our minds to somehow create the state of ultimate peace.

The only way technology could come into being to do so would be after we've already awakened as a species, which would make the technology moot! :) It's just not reasonable, given that, that such technology ever would.

We should concentrate on awakening, which isn't that difficult if we get our heads out of the clouds and simply see what is there. Honestly.
  • edited December 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    We don't even understand the mind well enough as a species to all awaken, much less invent technology to properly manipulate our minds to somehow create the state of ultimate peace.

The only way technology could come into being to do so would be after we've already awakened as a species, which would make the technology moot! :) It's just not reasonable, given that, that such technology ever would.

We should concentrate on awakening, which isn't that difficult if we get our heads out of the clouds and simply see what is there. Honestly.

I assume "awakening" must refer in the physical realm to some sort of brain activity (assuming mind and brain are connected, which they are). How are we to know that such awakening is really the greatest state our mind can achieve? It is still limited by our evolutionary hardware.
  • edited December 2010
    But when it comes to eliminating suffering for humanity and all sentient beings, it definitely is.

That's a pretty lofty task to put on Buddhism's shoulders. :lol:

For me, personally, I have no "goal" for Buddhism, but if I did, I'm not sure I'd say it was to eliminate suffering for all humanity. I think we each individually have to work on reducing suffering for ourselves personally...which requires the journey of introspection/self-awareness/meditating/etc.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I assume "awakening" must refer in the physical realm to some sort of brain activity (assuming mind and brain are connected, which they are). How are we to know that such awakening is really the greatest state our mind can achieve? It is still limited by our evolutionary hardware.
    By awakening I refer to enlightenment (any stages, but ultimately that final fully enlightened stage).

I guess we have to get there first before we can judge. If we don't find it satisfactory, we can work on something better, right? (lol) It's certainly the highest level of peace that any teachings propose one can come to in this lifetime; or rather the only teachings that offer a clear path to realizing that peace for one's self. This isn't armchair philosophy or speculation. The only way to know, is to practice and find out.
  • edited December 2010
    Tech and the Human mind...

We are the Borg, You will be assimalated, Resistance is Futile.

We will add your biological and technilogical distinctivness to our own, your culture will adapt to service ours.

I think the meditation approach might be a better way to go

(those implants are itchy)
  • edited December 2010
    Buddhas and Bodhisattvas would help us achieve instantenous enlightenment immediately if they could...

tinkering with technology is seeking for Buddha outside of the mind. I can't imagine tinkering with our karma and emptiness of our intrinsic nature with technology is possible...

however, if its somehow achievable as a skillful means, then homage to the bodhisattva that achieves it.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited December 2010

We already do have the technology. It's called drugs. The whole point of the LSD experiment was to see if chemicals could speed the process. People have been manipulating their consciousness since we learned how to ferment and the interesting effects of certain natural drugs found in plants, for that matter.

During a terrible period in the mid twentieth century before many of the drugs were discovered, doctors also tried using surgery to directly change one's mind/brain. The patient was certainly much calmer, among other things.

I think you mean, some sort of machine that can change who we are permanently and with fine control, unlike a scalpal. Strap someone into a chair, stick a helmet on him, and flip a switch. False memories and other changes would have to take place as it physically rewired parts of your brain.

Whatever got up from the chair wouldn't be you with a clear mind, it would be you with a changed brain. This would be a nightmare. All any physical change, drugs or scalpel or computer guided electrochemical mapping, it is only capable of changing the Form part of the skandhas.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited December 2010
    First you'd need to find an enlightened person to study their brain waves, which areas of the brain are the most active etc, to know which parts of the brain to stimulate or alter with your technology. Otherwise you wouldn't even know where to begin.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited December 2010
    How are we to know that such awakening is really the greatest state our mind can achieve?

You go and test the theory by achieving it to see if it is true.
  • edited December 2010
    Might I say, then, that a wise use of my life would be to bring this technology about? :)

Not really man. Have you heard of the "Experience Machine" concept?
    I think you mean, some sort of machine that can change who we are permanently and with fine control, unlike a scalpal. Strap someone into a chair, stick a helmet on him, and flip a switch. False memories and other changes would have to take place as it physically rewired parts of your brain.

Whatever got up from the chair wouldn't be you with a clear mind, it would be you with a changed brain. This would be a nightmare. All any physical change, drugs or scalpel or computer guided electrochemical mapping, it is only capable of changing the Form part of the skandhas.

False memories? Not necessarily.

And funny you say the word nightmare. Buddhism is sort of a nightmare for me. I feel I'm losing myself more and more. It's just a slower form of brainwash.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2010
    A raft is a means to cross a river. Once across, leave the raft for others.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited December 2010
    And funny you say the word nightmare. Buddhism is sort of a nightmare for me. I feel I'm losing myself more and more. It's just a slower form of brainwash.
    That doesn't sound good. Do you feel calmer and less angry, or more stressed than you used to?
  • edited December 2010
    Cinorjer wrote: »

This is very close to what I mean. How can you say you wouldn't have a clear mind? Couldn't technology also influence the parts of our brain wired for reasoning and judgment? It's not like our brains are perfect to begin with, meditation and technology are two different methods of achieving similar results.
    A raft is a means to cross a river. Once across, leave the raft for others.

I don't understand how this applies, please elaborate.
  • edited December 2010
    Understood, but it is also a very gradual and time consuming process. Wouldn't instant results be preferred, if physically possible?

What result? If a technology could bring about a "result" then it wouldn't have anything to do with enlightenment.
  • edited December 2010
    What result? If a technology could bring about a "result" then it wouldn't have anything to do with enlightenment.

Enlightenment certainly must be a result. It is a state of mind. And because it is a state of mind, it is a certain physical quality of the brain.
  • edited December 2010
    Chrysalid wrote: »
    That doesn't sound good. Do you feel calmer and less angry, or more stressed than you used to?

I feel like I don't know what I am anymore, or what I stand for. I feel I'm harder on myself, and thus am more angry at myself at times.

I've always had a healthy ego and lots of pride in my identity. Now I feel I'm wrong to feel that way and that I can't keep a lot of the things I liked about myself.
  • edited December 2010
    Enlightenment certainly must be a result.

Why?
  • edited December 2010
    Why?

Because it is a state of mind and a state of mind exists in a present moment.
    edited December 2010

I don't understand how this applies, please elaborate.

The question is whether Buddhism is simply a means to an end. It seems to me blindingly obvious that it is. After all, as Gandhi put it "God has no religion" or, if you prefer, buddhas aren't Buddhist.

The discussion about 'technologies' may be of interest but I'm not sure how it addresses the question.
  • edited December 2010
    The question is whether Buddhism is simply a means to an end. It seems to me blindingly obvious that it is. After all, as Gandhi put it "God has no religion" or, if you prefer, buddhas aren't Buddhist.

The discussion about 'technologies' may be of interest but I'm not sure how it addresses the question.

So I assume the end is the abolishment of suffering, correct?
  • edited December 2010
    Buddhism is what you make of it. But I'm pretty sure the Buddha devised the Dharma as a means to an end. An end of suffering.
    edited December 2010
    Buddhism is what you make of it. But I'm pretty sure the Buddha devised the Dharma as a means to an end. An end of suffering.

The Dharma was not 'devised' by the Buddha Shakyamuni but revealed by him. The means to the end of suffering is something else: the Noble Eightfold Path.
  • edited December 2010
    The Dharma was not 'devised' by the Buddha Shakyamuni but revealed by him. The means to the end of suffering is something else: the Noble Eightfold Path.

Whatever you can call it. They were both his conclusions.
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited December 2010
    It took billions of years of evolution for the human brain to develop to its current condition, one which is capable of realizing liberation and enlightenment. You think you can cram billions of years of complexity, change, karma, and unfathomable mystery into some wonder machine? Stop dreaming of such distractions and use your intelligence toward more contructive endeavors and focus your time and attention on your own liberation and enlightenment.
  • edited December 2010
    Talisman wrote: »
    It took billions of years of evolution for the human brain to develop to its current condition, one which is capable of realizing liberation and enlightenment. You think you can cram billions of years of complexity, change, karma, and unfathomable mystery into some wonder machine? Stop dreaming of such distractions and use your intelligence toward more contructive endeavors and focus your time and attention on your own liberation and enlightenment.

I certainly think I can come close. Technology is pretty unbelievable.

Would you say there may be a better method to eliminate suffering than the Noble Eightfold Path?
  • edited December 2010
    ^Genetically breed people to not feel pain or to suffer. Tada!
  • edited December 2010
    Whatever you can call it. They were both his conclusions.

I have to slightly disagree with you here.

I think what the Buddha did was to train his mind so that he could eventualy see the true nature of reality. Then he took this information and organised it into a coherent format so that others could have access to it no matter what their current level of understanding is.

He did not conclude what reality is, he simply was able to see it.
  • edited December 2010
    I have to slightly disagree with you here.

I think what the Buddha did was to train his mind so that he could eventualy see the true nature of reality. Then he took this information and organised it into a coherent format so that others could have access to it no matter what their current level of understanding is.

He did not conclude what reality is, he simply was able to see it.

Maybe his assumptions on how to train his mind to see the true nature of reality were wrong.

Either way, it was still a decision, it was still a personal conclusion.

But you are talking to someone who does not deify Buddha, and does not epitomize him as the unequivocal role model. Imo he was just a man, and as a mean, he did a lot of great things, and left his contribution. But he was just a man, just like you and me. A slave to his 6 senses just like we all are. That's just my opinion. :)
  • edited December 2010
    I feel I'm losing myself more and more.

Excellent. That's the whole point. Well done.
  • edited December 2010
    karmadorje wrote: »
    Excellent. That's the whole point. Well done.

And I'm not any happier in the process.
  • edited December 2010

I'm just getting started with Buddhism, but I assume this is because you're still attached to your ego and are afraid to give it up.

I believe I'm in the same boat as you, though.
  • edited December 2010

There's that pesky "I" again. Quel dommage. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
  • edited December 2010
    Because it is a state of mind and a state of mind exists in a present moment.

Or maybe it's the absence of a state of mind.

The only way to really learn what enlightenment is is from a real teacher. Otherwise all I know about enlightenment is what I've heard about it from other "Buddhists" who are are as touchy, snobbish and selfish as I am.
  • edited December 2010

The only way to really learn what enlightenment is is from a real teacher. Otherwise all I know about enlightenment is what I've heard about it from other "Buddhists" who are are as touchy, snobbish and selfish as I am.

Are you saying real teachers aren't Buddhists?! :eek:
  • edited December 2010

Agreed. Good offline Buddhist teachers are important to keep us on track.

• edited December 2010
    Are you saying real teachers aren't Buddhists?! :eek:

I'm not sure how you got that from my post.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm not sure how you got that from my post.

By reading your post facetiously. Obviously at least some buddhists are not snobbish, touchy, etc. or they would not be real teachers. :-)
  • edited December 2010
    There's that pesky "I" again. Quel dommage. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Right, because buddhism advocates not caring what happens to us...
  • edited December 2010

The absence of a state of mind would be death, which would imply mass suicide is our best course of action.

You can reason certain things, such as happens in Western philosophy, and enlightenment must be a state of mind.
  • edited December 2010
    You can reason certain things, such as happens in Western philosophy, and enlightenment must be a state of mind.

A state of mind implies that there is one there that is perceiving it that is distinct from it. Enlightenment is not a state of mind, it is the real nature of the experient freed from confusion.
  • edited December 2010
    A state of mind implies that there is one there that is perceiving it that is distinct from it. Enlightenment is not a state of mind, it is the real nature of the experient freed from confusion.

A state of mind does not imply a subject. A state of mind can very much be experience freed from the I. Enlightenment requires a brain.
  • edited December 2010
    Voyaging. I have concern for you, I do not want you turn away from learning Buddhism or develope more negative karma from having wrong views. Like what I said earlier in other threads and also what Karma Dondrup Tashi is recommending. We are all too ignorant and too attached to our own egos to really help you. You need a very cultivate monastic teacher to help you with these ideas.

The limited knowledge I can present on here will just continue in a cyclic debate.
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Maybe his assumptions on how to train his mind to see the true nature of reality were wrong.

Either way, it was still a decision, it was still a personal conclusion.

But you are talking to someone who does not deify Buddha, and does not epitomize him as the unequivocal role model. Imo he was just a man, and as a mean, he did a lot of great things, and left his contribution. But he was just a man, just like you and me. A slave to his 6 senses just like we all are. That's just my opinion. :)

The Buddha is not "Deified." He was a MAN who, through profound dedication, determination, intelligence, and perseverance, discovered the path to liberation and subsequently illuminated this path in his teachings to others. It is fine and constructive to hold a degree of skepticism to all doctrines and teachings, until the application of those teachings proves fruitful.

To suggest that the Buddha's methods were "wrong," either indicate that you have possibly discovered a grander and more applicable method for attaining enlightenment, or you have simply not taken the proper effort to walk the 8-fold path and realize its virtues to their extent. If on the other hand, you have practiced the 8-fold path with diligence and sincerity and find that it is flawed or incorrect and does not lead to your happiness and well-being (which as a Buddhist I find extremely unlikely) then maybe you should try seeking out a new path.

Lastly, to state that the Buddha was "A slave to his 6 senses just like we all are," is an insult to the memory and lineage of the Awoken one and a complete misunderstanding of the entire purpose of liberation and enlightenment.