Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Help- complete beginner seeking something....

edited January 2006 in Faith & Religion
:banghead:

Hi, It's some advice I'm after really, apologies if I sound like an idiot but I am very new to the concept of Buddhism.

I'm angry, dissatified, materialistic and feel like my life lacks meaning or even interest. I have been reading a little about Buddishm and it sounds so peaceful, I would love to be able to really appreciate life and it's simple pleasures.
I am not at all comforable with the concepts of 'worship' or 'religion', I seek more of a peace within myself, however I am open minded.
I have been put off by some sites that make Buddhism sound like one big pagan festival by offering reatreats for the solstice, naked 'sweat tents' and post festival meditation. I'm sure, however, that this is not indicative of the religion.

I'm not really sure what I want to know other than I would love to hear some views from others and would like to know where to go for some more (simple to begin with) information.

Thank you very much,
Sparkly

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Hello Sparkly, and welcome to the forum....!
    Where to begin, where to begin.....
    Look the best advice i can give you is to read this thread first.....

http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1

Then have a quick glance at this one....

http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11

It has other links you can go to for yet more information.... and then try this one....

http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734

I'm not trying to give you the run-around here....It's just that we have a lot of wonderful, new, interested, enthusiastic and curious visitors, and we can all start sounding like a stuck record.... or to keep up with the times, I should say, 'jumping CD' maybe.... I'm showing my age!
    Feel free, however, to come back at any time for clarification, explanation and just a chat or two. In any case, I think you've come to the right place, but then, I would say that, wouldn't I....? ;)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Good to meet you, Sparkly! :smilec:
  • edited November 2005
    Hi Sparkly!

Welcome to the site. There are a lot of great people here of all different beliefs/religions/faiths. That is what makes the site so nice to visit. Most of us are Buddhists and of different sects. I find I can get any question I need to answered by someone because most people here genuinely wish to help. That's nice and refreshing! I have been to other sites where all the forums are dominated by a few that consider themselves the "big shots":wow: if you will excuse the expression. That is not so here. Anyway, welcome and I look forward to getting to know you better.

Adiana:D :rockon: :wavey:
  • edited November 2005
    Wow, thanks everyone for your quick resopnses, I've got a lot of reading to do now so I'll get back to you!!:confused:
    Thanks again,
    Sparkly
  • edited November 2005
    Naked sweat tents? Boy have I been missing out! I've actually never heard of it in connection with Buddhism (just native Americans and neo-pagans) - same with solstice festivals. However, my husband and I do celebrate the solstice (to a small extent) since he is pagan and heck, it works for me. Definitely not a particularly Buddhist thing for me, though.

Anyways, you said, "I am not at all comforable with the concepts of 'worship' or 'religion', I seek more of a peace within myself, however I am open minded." Sounds a lot like myself. I'm an atheist and a Buddhist and I find that the two go very well together. Same for agnostics, irreligious folk, pagans, skeptics, etc. I've personally found a lot of tolerance for my own beliefs/unbeliefs here and in general within the Buddhist community. Of course, I think it has helped that I am pretty tolerant and open-minded. Keep in mind that there are many flavors of Buddhism - with a LOT of differences. And though these differences seem less and less significant the more I study Buddhism and realize what's really important (hint: not gods and the afterlife), they can sometimes be the source of heated debate.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Naked Sweat tents sound like a great idea. I don't follow any traditions. I am on a mission to change my thinking.
  • edited November 2005
    The concept of Buddhism at first may seem very strange, but the more you study the more you know and it will be made clear. Im also a beginner at Buddhism even though I dont practice it. I am still learning too.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Naked Sweat tents sound like a great idea. I don't follow any traditions. I am on a mission to change my thinking.

Seriously, Comic, the idea of wearing anything in a sweatlodge makes me feel quite faint! :tonguec:

My experience of sweats is limited but I found them extraordinary. My first was the one and only time I have 'seen' something other.
  • edited December 2005
    sparkly wrote:
    :banghead:

I'm angry, dissatified, materialistic and feel like my life lacks meaning or even interest. I have been reading a little about Buddishm and it sounds so peaceful, I would love to be able to really appreciate life and it's simple pleasures...

Thank you very much,

Sparkly

What stops you appreciating your life right now?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Welcome Sparkly.

Unfortunately, the teachings of Buddha is not like the lightswitch of "being saved" in Christianity.

While the teachings of Buddha do provide a way for peace and understanding - it is a practice like anything else. "It" doesn't remove suffering. In fact, you can read all the teachings of Buddha and still suffer tremendously.

But, it is by these teachings and dealing with our desires, attachments and cravings that "we" can start ridding ourselves of causes for suffering.

Welcome....

-bf
  • edited December 2005
    Hi spark,

It sounds to me that you've already made a step forward in realizing the negative in yourself, and the futility of materialism. I'm still reading and 'looking into' a lot as well, and I found that Buddhism is actually about you, but not the You you think you are :)

Here are some more sites I've found useful:

http://www.urbandharma.org/
    http://www.buddhanet.net
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Hi and welcome-I am new as well (aren't we all?) anyway, To me Judging by what you write, I think you may have a dose of the "Shoulds". I think, (emphasis on the I), that Buddhism has very little to do with worshipping things , persons, Buddha etc. but more to do with controlling and appreciating your life as well as others-you really get to see the beauty in yourself and others.

As a few people will know here, I can get a bit wordy (I'm a Writer), however the Intention is right, I think the highest and most difficult thing to do is to control and calm your thoughts. Then you start to learn more-perhaps.

Matt Johnson (of the band, The the) said, "How can anyone know me, when I don't even know myself?" NICE I think and quite true.

ZenMonk as above, is a good reference "GURU" if he'll let me use the term, But many others are as well on this forum.

You may wish to take advice from the Buddha as well who apparently said" Try my way, It worked for me (to gain enlightenment), but if it doesn't work for you, find something else" or words to that effect....Help me Zen Monk!

regards.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Oh and naked sweat tents _I'm in!!!!

um, where did everybody go?
  • edited December 2005
    :grin: I'd say that you're quite correct. The Pali term that's often used is that Buddhism is a religion or way of 'Ehipasiko' - which translates as come and see for yourself or come and recognise. Buddhism is not a religion based on belief but on finding out and experienceing how things are directly for oneself. The only thing I'd perhaps disagree with is the idea of 'controlling' one's life, but it may well depend on the exact sense you were using the term in.
  • pobpob
    edited December 2005
    I find buddhism somewhat relaxing, and where the inter fear lies and how to understand the ways to rid one of the irregularities. I myself lean toward pantheism also laid back and not a demanding belief.

Now there are so many types of buddhism which I dont follow, just the basic concept.
    I am learning slowly taking a step at a time.
    We do belong to the american buddhists church, but only internet only, and its where we became interested.

Look forward to more posts

pob
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Hi all, yes I was a little nebulous in my use of the word "Controlling" I believe I was meaning it in the "Calming of the mind" sense perhaps the term is Samadhi?
  • edited January 2006
    Samadhi may well be a better term, but yet again the limitations of the English language being used to convey something from another language and field of experience is a factor. As you no doubt know, Samadhi means one-pointedness of mind, unity of subject and object. And yes control does come in in the sense that Samadhi gives rise to and is itself a 'state' of effortless concentration that transcends itself, yet is precise, balanced, unwavering. I think this is the point at which language tends to disappear up it's own arse.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    You see.....?
    "Arse"....
    Now there's another word......:o :D