Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What's been your favourite Buddhist book?

ToshTosh Veteran
edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hi all,

I'm trying to be helpful and give some suggestions to Mrs Tosh about what I want for Christmas, other than socks and 'smellies'.

I've done a fair bit of casual reading about Buddhism, and thought I may like some more books.

So, what has been your favourite book about Buddhism?

Thanks.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Way too many favorites to list.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Hi.

I just bought
    "The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya", only $32 dollars throw amazon.com..in my country was so expensive, like $100 dollars and an incomplete version...its my first book bought by myself hahaha.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited December 2010
    A ebook reader, so you carry all the Buddhist books with you all the time.
  • edited December 2010
    A buddhist bible is available for free at sacred-texts.com. http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/bb/index.htm

One that i'm reading right now and is good is "how to see yourself as you really are" by the dalai lama. And i'm starting to read no death, no fear by thich nhat hanh which looks good.
  • edited December 2010
    "Great Realisations" (commentary on the 8 realisations of a bodhisattva sutra) by Master Hsing Yun
    "Rabbit's horn" (commentary on the platform sutra) by Master Hsing Yun
  • edited December 2010
    sogyal rinpoches the tibetan book of the living and dying.
  • edited December 2010
    I carry around with me The Wisdom of No Escape by Pema Chodron and Smile at Fear by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche. Good for opening up and getting some inspiration. Very often speaks directly to what I'm feeling. :)

Oh also, Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung is a really nice book, by Ajahn Brahm.
  • hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Kingsley Rajapakse is the author of The Way to Inner Peace.
    MIndfullness by Visuddhacara.
    Art of living by Goenka.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Hey, thanks all; I'll do a little research on Amazon over some of those titles.

I'm about to start a Buddhist foundation course, and I've got a couple of the text books for that, which look like fairly hefty reading; so I'll probably go for some of the lighter stuff, like that Ajahn Brahm Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung, or the Smile at Fear by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche.

But, if it's useful to someone, here's a couple of books that I've enjoyed reading:

Buddhism Is Not What You Think by Steve Hagen
    What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula

Thanks for your input.