Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Completed my first 3 day retreat

edited December 2005 in Sanghas
Well I finally did it, I got my arse into gear and drove the 370 miles from home to the other end of the country to attend an introductory 3 day retreat at Throssel Hole Buddhist Abbey in Northumberland. :ukflag:

Absolutely brilliant it was too !! :bigclap:
There were 17 of us there altogether and we spent loads of time meditating, receiving talks from the monks and generally fitting in with the day to day schedule of the monastery. Sleeping in the zendo was a bit of an experience but thankfully earplugs are provided to block out the noise of the snorers !

The monks were brilliant, totally down to earth and not at all how I imagined.

Now I've completed the introductory retreat I've been told that I can turn up and stay there pretty much whenever I want. Hurrah !!

I can definately recommend a retreat if anyone has though about it but put it off (like I did).

I just can't wait to go again for a bit longer, I'm not sure quite what Mrs Frizzer would have to say about that though. I think she's worried I'm going to come back home in black zen robes and a shaved head !!:hair:

Adrian (who is all zenned out now!)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Oh, you look all fresh and new and ariel washed and non-bio'd white!!

Welcome back! I 'Buddhistically' envy you! :bigclap:
  • edited November 2005
    Ha ha ! Thank you !!

One of the things that made me chuckle on the retreat was when the monks told us they liked watching "Father Ted" on the TV !
    There was also a new monk there who kept forgetting what her new name was, bless her !!
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited November 2005
    I'm glad you had such a good experience :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Frizzer wrote:
    Ha ha ! Thank you !!

One of the things that made me chuckle on the retreat was when the monks told us they liked watching "Father Ted" on the TV !
    There was also a new monk there who kept forgetting what her new name was, bless her !!

Monk....Her...?
    You can have SHE Monks?!?

Can you have HE - Nuns....? :rockon:
  • edited November 2005
    They are very inclusive !
    I was a bit surprised as well but yes, they do indeed have female monks rather than nuns.
    In fact the order was started by a female zen master - Rev Master Jiyu-Kennett.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Excellent!

I am glad that it was such a good experience.

:)

Jason
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    And I'll bet you're grinning so much that your jaw aches!

Sounds wonderful.
  • edited November 2005
    Frizzer:

I am glad you had a good time. I like to attend retreats from time to time myself.

Adiana:usflag: :bigclap:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Throssel Hole Priory is run by the same order of Zen monks as Shasta Abbey in California and as Frizzer pointed out was begun by Rev. Master Jiyu Kennett. They call both men and women monks. They have also reinstituted the vow of celibacy which was discarded in Japan several hundred years ago. I was very happy to learn of this and think it's an excellent move on their part. I was at Shasta Abbey in September for the Western Monastic Conference and really like the monastery. Very pure. I'm sure Throssel Hole is the same.

Palzang
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Wow, sounds awesome! :cheer: I'm glad you had a great experience.
  • edited November 2005
    Frizzer, next time you go to Throssel, say Hi to the guest master for me.
  • edited November 2005
    Frizzer, next time you go to Throssel, say Hi to the guest master for me.

Will do. Would that be Rev Gareth? He was the one that I had to contact when booking the retreat. Unfortunately I didn't get tot meet him while I was there.
  • edited November 2005
    Definitely not Rev Gareth. Though of course the guest master may well have changed since I was there. If I recall he was a German monk, and his name is on the tip of my tongue, probably to return as soon as I stop trying to remember it. Wonderful place Throssel Hole. I wonder if they've managed to fix the leaky walkway roof yet?
  • edited November 2005
    Yep, I think they've fixed the roof. The rain was absolutely chucking it down while I was there and there was not a leak in site !
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I'm glad for you Frizzer. I've only been able to do day retreats so far. Hopefully, over the summer. But again, glad you had a good time.
  • edited December 2005
    Frizzer, it was Rev. Fuden if I remember correctly. Lovely man. And I'm glad they finally got that roof fixed.