Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Namaste!

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Namaste!

I have been lurking this forum for a while. I have been avidly reading about Buddhism for about 6 weeks now. I consider myself a convert, if that's the right terminology. I am a total beginner really. Not meditated at all yet. I consider myself at the beginning of my journey. I just wanted to say hello really because I hope that I will become a regular around these parts :)

I have a couple of noob questions, shall I post them here?

Thanks, Dazron

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Welcome!

Perfect place for your questions, if they're general newbie inquiries.

What's on your mind, Dazron?
  • edited December 2010
    Well, firstly, a silly thing, but I would have thought (and i've come to my own conclusion on this) that Luck plays no part in Buddhism philosophy. But I play a lot of sports and people say 'Good Luck' - I always think "Well I don't wish you luck, but I wish you Metta and some other nice stuff"... what could I say?
  • edited December 2010
    My advice would be - dont get hung up on terminology!
    Just wish 'em good luck in return :)
  • edited December 2010
    I knew you'd say that and that was my instinct. Thanks!
  • edited December 2010
    OK here's my next question:

What next?

More books... Meditation classes?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Whatever you feel comfortable with! Observe the five precepts, know the Four Noble Truths (incl. the Noble Eightfold Path) inside and out, be mindful of your everyday experiences and how the teachings apply to them, work on cultivating both compassion and wisdom; I use Vipassana, or insight-meditation, and it's been a beautiful ride. Try reading books written by authors of different traditions; it's refreshing to see other perspectives.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Say: I don't need luck, I am enlightened.

Just kidding I agree with Steppenjiff
  • hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited December 2010
    ...& check out those books.
  • edited December 2010
    I guess I should go to the recommended reading list to look where to go next? I did that last night actually and purchased Thich Nhat Hanh's The Heart of Buddha's Teaching. Started it last night. Its very interesting. Different to what I started reading. I got onto Buddhism from Mindfulness. My steps on the path so far have been:

1. Mindfulness and the 12 Steps. Therese Jacobs-Stewart
    2. The Mindfulness Workbook: A beginners guide to overcoming Fear & Embracing Compassion
    3. Why I am a Buddhist: A No-Nonsense Buddhism with Red Meat and Whiskey
    4. Buddhism. Plain and Simple.

I feel like I should meditate next but I have no idea where to begin!
  • edited December 2010
    "I feel like I should meditate next but I have no idea where to begin!"

Begin now! Turn off your computer, get comfy and breathe...
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Welcome friend ! :)
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Welcome Dazron! Meditation couldn't be easier or harder (Buddhism is full of this type of thing). Essentially, you sit your butt down and do nothing. You don't "try" to relax, you don't "try" to clear your mind, you don't "try" to do anything. You just sit. Concentrate on your breath going in and your breath going out. Some people count breaths, but I don't personally. If your mind takes off on a merry ride, just notice that it's happening. Then come back to the breath (your mind *will* take off on a merry ride if it has nothing else to do, I promise you). Don't be discouraged if you don't feel you're getting anything out of it - you are. The object is not to expect anything nor to try to "do" anything. Just be. Just be quiet and still and notice your breath. Feel the sensations in your body, but don't dwell on them. Don't dwell on anything. If you have an itch, scratch it, then be still. If your mind goes on a merry ride (and your mind *will* go on a merry ride - seeing a pattern here?), just notice it, don't get discouraged, and return to your breath.

I advise to start slowly and build up time as you feel more comfortable. Five minutes can be a VERY long time at first. Eventually you will be able to go longer. Honestly though, the amount of time isn't that important. I'm not sure who it was that said it, but someone wise said words to the effect of "one breath in awareness is better than none". If you can only get 30 seconds the first time, that's fine. Next time try for a minute. If you do five minutes, try for ten in a little while.

The main thing is not to be discouraged. I think it's safe to say we've ALL been discouraged when we feel we're not making progress. Remember, don't have any expectations. Don't try to "get" anything from meditation. Meditation is done for its own sake, not for any kind of gain. Sometimes there are things to be gained from it, but they're not the point of the exercise, they're just nice benefits that naturally flow from it. And it's not a quick fix. Don't expect to suddenly feel incredibly relaxed and at ease because you meditated for 30 minutes. You may feel that way, and that's great, but you may not either. But know that the practice itself is always helpful to your path.

I still struggle (as do many I know who are much more advanced than I) with periods where meditation becomes a chore. If you skip a day, don't beat yourself up over it. Just notice it, then continue the next day. Get back on the horse and ride on. Don't stop and don't be discouraged. Sometimes it feels like work, and like that 20 or 30 minute timer is *never* going to go off! I use incense sticks that burn for about 22-25 minutes, and I swear sometimes it seems like they must be burning for hours!

I love Jon Kabat-Zinn's books on meditation, and "Buddhism Plain & Simple" is also very good, as is "Buddhism for Dummies".

I wish you the best on your newfound path. It's amazing what it can do for you. This is a great group of folks, especially if, like me, you live somewhere that there aren't a lot of Buddhists with whom you can form a "face to face" sangha. Even a virtual sangha is better than none! I've only ever found warm, caring, compassionate people here, so feel free to post any questions or concerns you have.

Peace~
  • edited December 2010
    Thanks for your response Mountains. A wonderful reply. You've inspired me. I thought there was a lot more to it than that. In your words I've already begun practicing meditation then!

Are there good books you or anyone can recommend on meditation?
    edited December 2010
    Jon Kabat-Zinn's books on meditation are easy to read, and are excellent. I don't have a specific title at hand right now, but if you just search Amazon or Google, you'll find lots of information.

I hope my response was helpful to you.

Peace~
  • edited December 2010
    It has been. Very. Thank you.
    edited December 2010
    BTW, posture is important. Not only does a correct posture help focus and ground you, but it will help keep your back, hips, and legs from getting sore. If you're going to meditate regularly, and are physically able, I recommend getting a buckwheat hull zafu and a zabuton (mat) to put it on. It was a very good investment of about $35.

http://www.dharmacrafts.com/100xCU/Meditation-Cushions.html

I can't do a full lotus position, but that's in no way critical to practice. Do what you can do. I tend to rest my hands, right on top of left, palms up, with the tips of my thumbs just touching. And resist the temptation to close your eyes. Sleepiness isn't conducive to meditation :)
  • edited December 2010
    This is great advice for a noon sir, this us why I think, or thought, that i needed a class to start off...
  • edited December 2010
    Oh and btw I'm based in London, England but I will seek one of these out over here. Thank you and namaste.